Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Re: Pre-Season Poll from AGS

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

EWURanger wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
I also voted, and had MSU at 14. My poll as follows... rip away.

Preseason
Approved
1. Villanova
2. Southern Illinois
3. New Hampshire
4. William & Mary
5. Montana
6. South Carolina St.
7. South Dakota St.
8. Elon
9. Stephen F. Austin
10. Eastern Washington
11. Appalachian St.
12. Richmond
13. Northern Iowa
14. Montana St.
15. McNeese St.
16. Delaware
17. Eastern Illinois
18. Liberty
19. Weber St.
20. James Madison
21. Jacksonville St.
22. Northern Arizona
23. Maine
24. Prairie View A&M
25. Cal Poly
Biggest Riser. James Madison
Biggest Faller. Richmond
I need to take a look at MSU again because I am obviously missing something. Also, no NAU?
MSU played a lot of young guys last year due to extensive injuries/sickness, and they still almost beat us last year. They'll have all those guys back, plus a lot of seasoned backups that did pretty well. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I think there's a better chance we lose to the Bobcats than losing to the Griz this year. Coaching changes really affect programs.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

I believe I put MSU at 12 :o
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
EWURanger wrote:
I need to take a look at MSU again because I am obviously missing something. Also, no NAU?
MSU played a lot of young guys last year due to extensive injuries/sickness, and they still almost beat us last year. They'll have all those guys back, plus a lot of seasoned backups that did pretty well. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I think there's a better chance we lose to the Bobcats than losing to the Griz this year. Coaching changes really affect programs.
Yep, we were lucky to win that game. That said, we were far from anything resembling 100% going into that game as well, so I think it's hard to use it as any sort of benchmark for this year's version of either team.

But i think you are right - I do think we have a reasonable chance at winning the Montana game this year. At which point, we will probably lose the next week to MSU. They are due for a W and will be gunning for us big time. Difficult game to play after coming off the Griz game, but then I guess it always is. I'd be happy with a split if this were the case.
GoRacer1
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Wagner College

Post by GoRacer1 »

danefan wrote:Decent poll.

Holy Cross should not be ranked though. If anyone should be ranked in the PL, it should be Colgate.

I also think Jacksonville St. is too low.
I agree with you on Colgate, But Jax st could always be lower.
guinzone
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Youngstown State
A.K.A.: Let's Go Guins

Post by guinzone »

With former YSU Offensive Coordinator Brian Wright at the helm of the O, I would not expect Montana State to be that successful this year. In his time at YSU, Wright had one good year, the final four run in 2006. Other than that, it was ugly.

However I think this is a solid poll. SIU will be fighting for the #1 spot in due time and SDSU seems like they are in the right spot. UNI looks a bit too high in my eyes with what they lost. Expect MSU, ILSU, and YSU to be on the outside looking in early on. One or two of those three teams should emerge into the top 25 thru the first 4-5 weeks of the season.
Proud Youngstown State Fan
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

I did not vote. I think Memorial Day is still too early to determine a top 25 (that and being in Vegas for the weekend didn't help). I put a lot of stock in off season (summer) news and also with fall ball. I have a difficult time even placing the Big Sky teams right now (let alone the nation).
Thumper 76
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: South Dakota State

Post by Thumper 76 »

I feel kind of nervous with the preseason ranking of SDSU right now, not because I doubt that the team could be that good, but if we flop it could be hard for us to garner respect after it. I prefer to start low and shock people, but I LOVE the fact that the Jacks are earning respect! :mrgreen: I would have SDSU around 12-17 mark myself.
Please don't tell Obama what comes after a Trillion.
bpcats
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by bpcats »

That game against EWU and MSU was painful to watch as a Bobcat fan. We were missing Dane Fletcher and had 10 guys out with injuries and a bout of flu that took out our kicker and punter/backup kicker out the day that they loaded up to go to Cheney, leaving no time for a backup plan to the backup. We had our freshman defensive tackle trying to kick the ball. I counted at least 13 points that we would have scored if our kicker had been there to make field goals and extra points.

Either way, the Cats played their hearts out that game and it was exciting with the go ahead touchdown by the Cats overruled by the refs. The Cats return almost everybody back and really only have one new starter at outside linebacker. Everybody else has either started in previous seasons and are returning from injury or have gotten plenty of experience by being forced into the lineup as true freshman.

The Cats should be solid in all three phases again and a tough team to beat.

I expect the rematch with the Eagles to be a lot like last year with no clear cut favorites. Lindy's also has MSU in their top 15 in their preseason poll.

There should be a ton of close games in Big Sky next year. Idaho State gave the Griz all they could handle at the end of a rough year so you can't take any games for granted.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

bpcats wrote:That game against EWU and MSU was painful to watch as a Bobcat fan. We were missing Dane Fletcher and had 10 guys out with injuries and a bout of flu that took out our kicker and punter/backup kicker out the day that they loaded up to go to Cheney, leaving no time for a backup plan to the backup. We had our freshman defensive tackle trying to kick the ball. I counted at least 13 points that we would have scored if our kicker had been there to make field goals and extra points.

Either way, the Cats played their hearts out that game and it was exciting with the go ahead touchdown by the Cats overruled by the refs. The Cats return almost everybody back and really only have one new starter at outside linebacker. Everybody else has either started in previous seasons and are returning from injury or have gotten plenty of experience by being forced into the lineup as true freshman.

The Cats should be solid in all three phases again and a tough team to beat.

I expect the rematch with the Eagles to be a lot like last year with no clear cut favorites. Lindy's also has MSU in their top 15 in their preseason poll.

There should be a ton of close games in Big Sky next year. Idaho State gave the Griz all they could handle at the end of a rough year so you can't take any games for granted.
Can't wait to see how it all plays out... coaching regime/playbook changes from the top and bottom teams, All-American QB replaced with an FBS transfer, and borderline teams looking to take that next step. Should be a brawl in the Big Sky this year; a lot more even keeled than in years past.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
bpcats wrote:There should be a ton of close games in Big Sky next year. Idaho State gave the Griz all they could handle at the end of a rough year so you can't take any games for granted.
Can't wait to see how it all plays out... coaching regime/playbook changes from the top and bottom teams, All-American QB replaced with an FBS transfer, and borderline teams looking to take that next step. Should be a brawl in the Big Sky this year; a lot more even keeled than in years past.
What are the odds of Montana ending their playoff run this year?
putter
Level2
Level2

Post by putter »

With the expansion of the playoffs, Hen, I think the chances are low that Montana misses the playoffs. Yes there is a new coaching philosophy but that will also make Montana difficult to defend as they will have a more wide open O compared to Hauck and a far more aggressive D with Breske at the helm so the films of the last few years won't mean much as far as preparing for Montana. Everyone already knows the Montana horses, Selle, Reynolds and Sambrano, so it will depend upon the O line and someone elso to step up....Nguyen, Moore, Gratton
‎"Born in other countries, yet believing you could be happy in this, our laws acknowledge, as they should do, your right to join us in society, conforming, as I doubt not you will do, to our established rules. That these rules shall be as equal as prudential considerations will admit, will certainly be the aim of our legislatures, general and particular." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Hugh White, 1801
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:I sat down and started to try to figure out my poll. I could do the top 10 and feel ok about it. But... after that I would really be guessing so I just said fuck it and quit.
which is what everybody does every week....that's why the bottom 15 are such a crapshoot. :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

89Hen wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
I'd say 15-20%. Odd's of not sharing or taking the BSC title outright? 40-50%, IMHO.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
89Hen wrote: What are the odds of Montana ending their playoff run this year?
I'd say 15-20%. Odd's of not sharing or taking the BSC title outright? 40-50%, IMHO.
:shock:
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

grizzaholic wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
:shock:
:nod:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

89Hen wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
I'd put it very low, maybe 1-2%. Something serious would have to happen for the Griz not to make the playoffs and, if it was to happen, it would not bode well for Pflugrad's first year in the face of Griz Nation. Hauck did not leave the cupboard bare so, if the Griz miss out especially with the expanded playoffs, fingers would be pointed at Pflugrad and his staff. 2% may even be too high.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

Look at our schedule. How could we possibly lose more than 3 games?

Returning one of the best QB's in the nation, an RB who is maybe the early favorite for the Payton award, a nearly unbeatable homefield advantage, etc.

It's not likely
ChickenMan
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by ChickenMan »

89Hen wrote: What are the odds of Montana ending their playoff run this year?
About the same as Towson winning the CAA title.

"the closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program"... Ronald Reagan
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Silenoz wrote:Look at our schedule. How could we possibly lose more than 3 games?
:popcorn: