UC-Davis QB Denham to leave

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana

UC-Davis QB Denham to leave

Post by MrTitleist »

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-f ... 10aab.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good QB, he'll be missed
ImageImageImageImageImage
UCABEAR
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Central Arkansas
A.K.A.: UCABEAR

Re: UC-Davis QB Denham to leave

Post by UCABEAR »

I enjoyed watching him play! He had it tough in our game, but the kid could sling it! Best of luck to him! :notworthy:
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

This is huge for all the Great West Conference teams but especially the Aggies. Losing their top QB could and probably will hamstring them in the offensive department while everyone else in the conference has one less threat to worry about now. It will be interesting to see how much this will hurt the Aggies in the long run however i think that this will end any chance for a repeat of the GWC champions :twocents:.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SUUTbird wrote:This is huge for all the Great West Conference teams but especially the Aggies. Losing their top QB could and probably will hamstring them in the offensive department while everyone else in the conference has one less threat to worry about now. It will be interesting to see how much this will hurt the Aggies in the long run however i think that this will end any chance for a repeat of the GWC champions :twocents:.
It will hurt them big. They already lost a lot at the WR position, now they will have to fill a huge void where it matters most. :twocents:
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

This will benefit Sac State the most. I'm not sure how, and I'll ponder this for a while, but somehow this will translate into Sac State winning the Big Sky and beating Liberty in the NC game. :thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

bandl wrote:This will benefit Sac State the most. I'm not sure how, and I'll ponder this for a while, but somehow this will translate into Sac State winning the Big Sky and beating Liberty in the NC game. :thumb:
:lol: We beat “the farm extension” the last two years when they had Denham, so I don’t really think whether this happening or not would have made a difference in our 3rd straight win over them this year. I love your enthusiasm though. :thumb:
GoAgs72
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: UC Davis

Post by GoAgs72 »

While a decent QB, Denham has never really lived up to UC Davis expectations which always feels they need a really great QB to make up for continuing long-term weaknesses in the running game. Heyworth, Denham's apparent replacement has the potential to be a great QB. Plus we have an experienced back-up in Maraz with Aprile running in the wildcat formation. With a few games of experience, I think the Aggies will be okay and perhaps improve. Or just forget this and maybe we can surprise a few teams.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GoAgs72 wrote:While a decent QB, Denham has never really lived up to UC Davis expectations which always feels they need a really great QB to make up for continuing long-term weaknesses in the running game. Heyworth, Denham's apparent replacement has the potential to be a great QB. Plus we have an experienced back-up in Maraz with Aprile running in the wildcat formation. With a few games of experience, I think the Aggies will be okay and perhaps improve. Or just forget this and maybe we can surprise a few teams.
I took a look at the ag board and I was quite shocked to see how many posters were downplaying this. You lose a QB who was the offensive leader and many of the posters think everything is going to be fine or better that last year?!?! GTF outta here. Had this hit before spring drills maybe the impact wouldn't be as severe, but you have to be completely clueless to think this won't have a major impact on the offense. I have no doubt "the farm extension" has some capable talent waiting on the bench, but to think the offense will be "okay and perhaps improve" after a few games is a pretty big reach.

Here is the void that now needs to be filled: 272/440 61.8% for 2,932 yards and 19/8 TD's/INT's.

While it is possible an inexperienced QB steps in and posts better numbers, I highly doubt one of the replacements "will live up to UC Davis expectations."
:coffee:
Green Laser
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Sacramento State
A.K.A.: Green Laser

Post by Green Laser »

SDHornet wrote:
GoAgs72 wrote:While a decent QB, Denham has never really lived up to UC Davis expectations which always feels they need a really great QB to make up for continuing long-term weaknesses in the running game. Heyworth, Denham's apparent replacement has the potential to be a great QB. Plus we have an experienced back-up in Maraz with Aprile running in the wildcat formation. With a few games of experience, I think the Aggies will be okay and perhaps improve. Or just forget this and maybe we can surprise a few teams.
I took a look at the ag board and I was quite shocked to see how many posters were downplaying this. You lose a QB who was the offensive leader and many of the posters think everything is going to be fine or better that last year?!?! GTF outta here. Had this hit before spring drills maybe the impact wouldn't be as severe, but you have to be completely clueless to think this won't have a major impact on the offense. I have no doubt "the farm extension" has some capable talent waiting on the bench, but to think the offense will be "okay and perhaps improve" after a few games is a pretty big reach.

Here is the void that now needs to be filled: 272/440 61.8% for 2,932 yards and 19/8 TD's/INT's.

While it is possible an inexperienced QB steps in and posts better numbers, I highly doubt one of the replacements "will live up to UC Davis expectations."
:coffee:
That will be quite a interesting opener at Cal with a new QB at the helm!
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

First off you Sac State guys understand you being rivals and all but there is nothing wrong with being optimistic so cut the guy a little slack 8-) , however you can easily be way to optimistic which in this case GoAgs72 you are. Heyworth's only stats are these: 7/9 for 82 yards and 2 TDs and the vast majority of these stats came against Portland State who lets face it was not good at all in 09.

SDHornet made a great point on that if Denham had left before spring practices, that would have given Heyworth some time to get to work with the first string O and get a better feel at being a starter. However since this happened after the fact the implications are huge. Maybe this kid will surprise all of us and come out of nowhere but as of right now i seriously doubt that. The Aggies lost the TOP offensive weapon they had this year in Denham and that is going to spell trouble for this season as you Goags72 put it, you lack a serious running game. Maybe in a year or two Heyworth will be great but as of right now ive got the Aggies finishing last in the Great West this year, 2 or 3 wins top this season. :twocents: