EWU's badass red turf and pwnage of Keenan

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: EWU's badass red turf and pwnage of Keenan

Post by clenz »

ewu2000 wrote:
UNI31f wrote: I believe the turf is glued or velcroed down.

UNI had to do the midfield logo and has marks this past off season because the crew that put it in **** it up, and they lifted out and put the new ones in. However, I don't think they simply "come up".

They outline the the logos and then cut the turf out. Then the glue/secure the logos to the under layer. Something like that. They do not glue it on top of the surface.
Right...I understand that.

I was stating that UNI's had to be redone because whoever installed ours last year did it wrong and the hashmarks and logo sat up too high.
ewu2000
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by ewu2000 »

I would say that the red turf to EWU fans are like a child to a parent. They might have an ugly kid, but that kid is the most beautiful child in the world. With that said, the field is the most beautiful field in the world!
ATrain
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Liberty
A.K.A.: ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Red IS my favorite color

However, my eyes hurt after seeing those pictures on the previous page.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

89Hen wrote:I thought the subsurface was some sort of sand/gravel. Can't imagine gluing to that. :|
I was watching them put in the logo yesterday... after they cut out the turf, they put some sort of fabric underneath the surrounding turf and the logo and glue/stitch it in.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

ATrain wrote:Red IS my favorite color

However, my eyes hurt after seeing those pictures on the previous page.
Desired results achieved! :thumb:

EWU; we'll make your players AND fans bleed! :lol:
Eight Legger
I am a fan of: Richmond

Post by Eight Legger »

This is pretty damn awesome. Well done EWU!
Keenan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Liberty University

Post by Keenan »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Keenan wrote::sleep: Same old story! EWU fans simply cannot stand anyone talking bad about their ugly ass pms field. Maybe they don't realize this is a national board and not people flaming an EWU board. Who knows, but it has been comical to watch how defensive they get about it. :nod:
Kind of like how Liberty fans cannot stand anyone pointing out Jerry Falwell's bigoted, ignorant dogma? :coffee:
Kind of like how Jerry Falwell put Liberty on the national map and the Red Turf at Eastern Washington gave Kotex something to sponsor in sports! :thumb:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Keenan wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Kind of like how Liberty fans cannot stand anyone pointing out Jerry Falwell's bigoted, ignorant dogma? :coffee:
Kind of like how Jerry Falwell put Liberty on the national map and the Red Turf at Eastern Washington gave Kotex something to sponsor in sports! :thumb:
Not a big surprise that a mindless product of a cult err university that preaches intolerance and prejudice against anything outside the norm, wouldn't like different colored turf. :coffee:
CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Post by CatMom »

FWIW....they did this to our field but I understood that the logos were sewn in? I'll check tomorrow as I'm heading to SM for practice. I'll try to get on the field, or as close as I can, to see....or I'll just ask
DirtyDukes
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: James Madison

Post by DirtyDukes »

Man, the black parts are awesome. You guys should have done an all black field with red endzones. Then you could really be in the 'redzone'.
"My advice to you, dear sir, at any impasse - Punch them in the dadgum neck." ~ James Madison
Willie
Level4
Level4

Post by Willie »

CatMom wrote:FWIW....they did this to our field but I understood that the logos were sewn in? I'll check tomorrow as I'm heading to SM for practice. I'll try to get on the field, or as close as I can, to see....or I'll just ask
They are sewn. Glue? Come on :lol: how the hell would it stick... :coffee:
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Willie wrote:
CatMom wrote:FWIW....they did this to our field but I understood that the logos were sewn in? I'll check tomorrow as I'm heading to SM for practice. I'll try to get on the field, or as close as I can, to see....or I'll just ask
They are sewn. Glue? Come on :lol: how the hell would it stick... :coffee:
They do both. When I was over there the other day, there was a stack of 5 gallon buckets of "adhesive." I saw them putting down a fabric layer underneath the edges of where they cut out the logo. :thumb:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

DirtyDukes wrote:Man, the black parts are awesome. You guys should have done an all black field with red endzones. Then you could really be in the 'redzone'.
That woulda looked cool as well, but hot as hell.
Willie
Level4
Level4

Post by Willie »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Willie wrote: They are sewn. Glue? Come on :lol: how the hell would it stick... :coffee:
They do both. When I was over there the other day, there was a stack of 5 gallon buckets of "adhesive." I saw them putting down a fabric layer underneath the edges of where they cut out the logo. :thumb:
Yes I know. What I'm saying, is that they cut the numbers, hash marks, etc. out..."glue" it down, sew it in, then dump either ground up tires, or sand depending on the company.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Willie wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Yes I know. What I'm saying, is that they cut the numbers, hash marks, etc. out..."glue" it down, sew it in, then dump either ground up tires, or sand depending on the company.
They have gotten away from the tire and samd thing since the first generation of field turf we had installed and the stuff that went under our new field was called Flex sand I believe. They have a process to rubber coat the sand now and it actally looks like small beads that would go in a sand blasting hopper.

http://www.sprinturf.com/index.cfm?fuse ... 9-141-2424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Fact:

My cousin Bob, who's a griz fan and football traditionalist, married a red-haired single mother a few years back.

Her son happens to be quite homely and Bob beats him mercilessly from time to time.

Bob also happens to think the red turf looks great!

It's a fact. :coffee:

:rofl:
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
DirtyDukes wrote:Man, the black parts are awesome. You guys should have done an all black field with red endzones. Then you could really be in the 'redzone'.
So why the hell did they do the sidelines in black where the players will be standing/sitting the whole game?
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

grizzaholic wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
So why the hell did they do the sidelines in black where the players will be standing/sitting the whole game?
Probably due to an aesthetic consideration more than anything else. The black will probably be hot early on in the year - but I'm not sure what other colors they could have done the sidelines with. Either way, it's starting to look pretty good.

Willie
Level4
Level4

Post by Willie »

Black would have been cool. Any turf is hot...plain and simple. The stuff I played on at away games my 4 years was hotter than shit, and it was green. Hottest I was ever on was Augsburg...their endzones were maroon like my college has now and it was miserably hot even in October on it. Don't think black would be much different.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

:nod: