Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: mcveyrl

Re: Villanova football invited to Big East

Post by mcveyrl »

jstclmet wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:
Agreed. I've heard rumors regarding Pitt and/or Syracuse and/or Rutgers joining the Big 10. I also wouldn't be suprised to see UConn and/or West Virginia and/or Syracuse end up in the ACC.
When that magical day arrives when there is a mass exodus from the Big East, wouldn't that provide an window of opportunity for FCS schools to enter their name in the hat as replacements. Especially, those FCS schools aspiring to be a part of the Big East. You wouldn't know of a FCS school with those ambitions, would ya??? ;)

Here's the problem for me. I actually discussed this issue with a co-worker today. By the time the Big East is ready to extend an invite to Delaware, JMU, or somebody like that, it's probably not going to look much like the Big East as it stands today. From a football perspective, that's not a good thing. The Big East is weak enough as it is, I really don't want to join it when it's the MAC East.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

mcveyrl wrote:
jstclmet wrote:
When that magical day arrives when there is a mass exodus from the Big East, wouldn't that provide an window of opportunity for FCS schools to enter their name in the hat as replacements. Especially, those FCS schools aspiring to be a part of the Big East. You wouldn't know of a FCS school with those ambitions, would ya??? ;)

Here's the problem for me. I actually discussed this issue with a co-worker today. By the time the Big East is ready to extend an invite to Delaware, JMU, or somebody like that, it's probably not going to look much like the Big East as it stands today. From a football perspective, that's not a good thing. The Big East is weak enough as it is, I really don't want to join it when it's the MAC East.
But that's the reality of where everything is headed - probably 4 superconferences (Pac-10, Big 10, SEC, and ACC), some really powerful independents, and then everyone else. It already started moving in that direction when the ACC raided the Big East and weakened its football component a few years ago, and eventually, it will happen again. That's the weird thing about this "protecting nova's basketball program" thing - I don't see how making this move does that. The Big East will be raided and schools will continue to fall away and nova football isn't going to be picked up by those other conferences. But I don't think that will be a bad thing for nova basketball - I think there will be basketball schools that continue to prosper even outside of those power conferences. Heck, Kansas could end up on the outside of that grouping and I think they'll be just fine basketball-wise.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

mcveyrl wrote:
jstclmet wrote:

And that's the thing, I think when JMU and ODU and maybe even UD decide to move up, they may very well do so en masse and will be in something akin to a MAC East. I don't see how any of those schools end up in a real power conference, and if nova is still playing football by then, we could meet up with them again in that conference.
mcveyrl
Level2
Level2

Post by mcveyrl »

GannonFan wrote:
mcveyrl wrote:

And that's the thing, I think when JMU and ODU and maybe even UD decide to move up, they may very well do so en masse and will be in something akin to a MAC East. I don't see how any of those schools end up in a real power conference, and if nova is still playing football by then, we could meet up with them again in that conference.
Yea, I just hate the thought of that. Give me I-AA and the playoffs and CAA basketball and I'm a happy camper.
native
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Weber State

Post by native »

mcveyrl wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Yea, I just hate the thought of that. Give me I-AA and the playoffs and CAA basketball and I'm a happy camper.
Who is to say that every program below the BCS level will end up in an FCS-like playoff division?
Proud Prince of Purple Pomposity
YT is not a communist. He's just a ...young pup.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/theg ... _Veit.html

Interesting comments from Tom Veit, President of the Philadelphia Union soccer team, whose stadium is being looked at by Villanova as a potential venue:
Q. One of the things that's been discussed this year is your discussions and negotiations with Villanova about hosting their football team at PPL Park should they move up to the Big East. I have heard that you've said to some people associated with the Villanova program that if there's a way to get the football lines down, you'd be happy to have them. How much discussion have you had with Villanova and at what stage are they?

A. We really haven't - other than our first discussions of saying 'we're willing to look at it.' Once we get to the offseason, we're going to look at some stuff with the grass, and see what we can do with football lines. There's still a lot of questions to be answered.

Q. Such as?

A. Can you get the football lines down, and can you get them off? Would the constant play on the Patriot Bermuda [grass surface], would that disturb the field? Can it be done? Our groundskeepers, we've been focused on playing soccer. Now that we're through the season, our grounds crew can look at things, we can talk to our fan base.

So we're probably in the same position we were before. We're willing to talk about it; we've got to look through the different things. We're first and foremost a soccer facility. If we can be a soccer facility at a top level and accomodate Villanova, we'd be glad to look at it and try to make it work.

Q. Can you explain, for people who don't know, who owns PPL Park and whether, if it's not the Union, that entity would have any say in what would happen?

A. The stadium itself is handled by the authority within Delaware County. We have a lease right to handle running the building. So we always talk to our partners about everything, in regards to doing that. But we haven't even gotten to that level yet.

Q. If the Delaware County authorities said they wanted it to happen, given Villanova's relative proximity on Interstate 476, what would you say?

A. We'd say what we've been saying. We're a soccer facility first and we're open to making anything work. If we can make it work with the primary mission of the building, we'll do it. If we can't, then we can't.

Q. If your fans say they don't want it, how much would that matter?

A. That would matter.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GA St. MBB Fan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Georgia State
A.K.A.: GSU Mens BB Fan

Post by GA St. MBB Fan »

Just one thought in regard to the "saving basketball by moving up football notion." A lot of folks in this thread have questioned how does moving up football "save" 'Nova's basketball program. Especially when considering that if current Big East football powers like WVU and Pitt leave. I believe the best answer is that by having 'Nova football up to the FBS/BCS level it puts 'Nova overall in a position of strength.

All of the expansion revolves around football. So even if the Big East falls apart, 'Nova can then market itself to other conferences as a full athletic program with great basketball tradition. Not just a basketball program with great tradition. This will better position to 'Nova to make a lateral move instead of having to "go down." (See Charlotte going from C-USA to the A-10 as an example.) In the mean time 'Nova gets to use the Big East to subsidize its transition to FBS/BCS football. If in a few years the Big East falls apart, 'Nova now has a FBS/BCS program bought and paid for.

Just my 2 cents.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

GA St. MBB Fan wrote:Just one thought in regard to the "saving basketball by moving up football notion." A lot of folks in this thread have questioned how does moving up football "save" 'Nova's basketball program. Especially when considering that if current Big East football powers like WVU and Pitt leave. I believe the best answer is that by having 'Nova football up to the FBS/BCS level it puts 'Nova overall in a position of strength.

All of the expansion revolves around football. So even if the Big East falls apart, 'Nova can then market itself to other conferences as a full athletic program with great basketball tradition. Not just a basketball program with great tradition. This will better position to 'Nova to make a lateral move instead of having to "go down." (See Charlotte going from C-USA to the A-10 as an example.) In the mean time 'Nova gets to use the Big East to subsidize its transition to FBS/BCS football. If in a few years the Big East falls apart, 'Nova now has a FBS/BCS program bought and paid for.

Just my 2 cents.
But where do they go then? Once the other Big East teams get picked off and leave, where does that leave nova? They'll still be in the same spot - great basketball program with a barely-hanging-on-football program. They're not going to be a Big 10 nor an ACC candidate, so they're pretty much like Kansas was going to be like if the Big 12 had ceased to be - stuck without a top level conference to put their basketball team into.
jstclmet
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by jstclmet »

GannonFan wrote:
GA St. MBB Fan wrote:Just one thought in regard to the "saving basketball by moving up football notion." A lot of folks in this thread have questioned how does moving up football "save" 'Nova's basketball program. Especially when considering that if current Big East football powers like WVU and Pitt leave. I believe the best answer is that by having 'Nova football up to the FBS/BCS level it puts 'Nova overall in a position of strength.

Just my 2 cents.
But where do they go then? Once the other Big East teams get picked off and leave, where does that leave nova? They'll still be in the same spot - great basketball program with a barely-hanging-on-football program. They're not going to be a Big 10 nor an ACC candidate, so they're pretty much like Kansas was going to be like if the Big 12 had ceased to be - stuck without a top level conference to put their basketball team into.
That's an easy one, not that I'm giving in to the idea that the BE would fail, but following your presumption should the BE meet it's demise (that would leave a lot of BE Basketball teams scrambling for conferences), you'd be looking at one of the newest members of the ACC Northern Division. This makes the travels of BC, Cuse, and other former Northern BE members more affordable, and increases the ACC's baskeball strength. This would be a mega conference for both FB & BB, but that seems to be the direction FBS is headed country wide. A back door way of getting into playoffs by having Division Championship games in late Nov, then those winners (let's presume further 8 mega conferences) meet for playoffs until you have 2 for a New Year's Week Championship game.

No, I don't have any inside info, but it's a good guestimation.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

mcveyrl wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Is JMU still playing basketball in the CAA? I haven't noticed you in a decade. 8-)
mcveyrl
Level2
Level2

Post by mcveyrl »

CAA Flagship wrote:
mcveyrl wrote:
Is JMU still playing basketball in the CAA? I haven't noticed you in a decade. 8-)

Wow, you would think you'd notice how our women's team won the conference last year from your man of a coach and her trannys.

And our men are picked to finish 4th in the CAA this year, so watch out...maybe...okay probably not. But we did have two guys named pre-season all-conference. Who will probably be hurt.
GA St. MBB Fan
Level1
Level1

Post by GA St. MBB Fan »

jstclmet wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
That's an easy one, not that I'm giving in to the idea that the BE would fail, but following your presumption should the BE meet it's demise (that would leave a lot of BE Basketball teams scrambling for conferences), you'd be looking at one of the newest members of the ACC Northern Division. This makes the travels of BC, Cuse, and other former Northern BE members more affordable, and increases the ACC's baskeball strength. This would be a mega conference for both FB & BB, but that seems to be the direction FBS is headed country wide. A back door way of getting into playoffs by having Division Championship games in late Nov, then those winners (let's presume further 8 mega conferences) meet for playoffs until you have 2 for a New Year's Week Championship game.

Yep. This is exactly my point. Football dominates all the reasons for expansion. Villanova upgrading their program to FBS/BCS (with a Big East subsidy) not only protects its basketball interest in the Big East, but it also, in the event the Big East crumbles, allows Villanova to be a viable candidate for expansion for any future power conference. Without FBS/BCS football - Villanova is on the outside looking in.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

mcveyrl wrote:
jstclmet wrote:

You're seeing that dilemma played out by Montana right now. A WAC invite into a conference that included Nevada, Boise State and Fresno State - SURE. A WAC invite where the strongest remaining football team is Hawaii and the best basketball program is Utah State....uh.....we'll see. :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kuntryboimike
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Liberty

Post by kuntryboimike »

So is this gonna happen or not. Is there a time they have to make there decision by or what.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

GA St. MBB Fan wrote:
jstclmet wrote:

Yep. This is exactly my point. Football dominates all the reasons for expansion. Villanova upgrading their program to FBS/BCS (with a Big East subsidy) not only protects its basketball interest in the Big East, but it also, in the event the Big East crumbles, allows Villanova to be a viable candidate for expansion for any future power conference. Without FBS/BCS football - Villanova is on the outside looking in.
But all of that depends on nova becoming a viable FBS football program. Even under what they're talking about right now, nova will be playing in upwards to 3 different venues, none of which are anywhere close to campus nor their own, and they will basically be wards of the Big East conference with the conference spending gobs of money to keep nova afloat. The Big East needs someone like nova just to exist so they're willing to make that concession and basically float nova's program. However, that won't happen when a major conference (like the ACC in this case) needs to expand maybe out to 16 teams. The ACC isn't going to fade away so they aren't desperate to pay the dime to prop up someone's football program. If they only get to 14 or 15 teams, that's fine - you just need 12 for the conference title game and going with 15 solid football programs is better than going with the same 15 and another football program that will be a leach in terms of revenue. nova needs to become profitable football-wise before they would be a target of one of the BCS conference that will remain standing after all of this - sucking at the teat of the Big East won't be very attractive once the Big East falls apart.
JMUDuke2002
I am a fan of: James Madison

Post by JMUDuke2002 »

jstclmet wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

I don't buy your guestimation at all. If, and it is a big IF, the Big East were to totally implode, I think its more likely you'd be looking at the newest member of the A-10 and MAC (or new east coast conference) for football. If the Big East were to implode, I think it more likely you'd see Syracuse and Rutgers in the Big Ten; WVU, UConn, and Pitt in the ACC. Remember, it is still about football and Nova would be new to FBS and probably a bottom feeder in the Big East. How is that attractive to the ACC when you could potentially have Pitt, WVU, Uconn, Louisville, Cincy and South Florida. If it were about BB, I still think Nova would lose out. I know you have the one title, but it isn't like Cincy, WVU, UCon, Pitt and Louisville are BB slouches. The biggest difference is they currently have better and more popular football. Now, if Nova were to go in and rule the Big East, then it would be another matter all together.
Bostonspider
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Richmond

Post by Bostonspider »

Actually, with the ACC, I think that VU's academic reputation would really help them to join. I could see a northern division of BC, UConn, Syracuse, VIllanova, Maryland, Virginia, VaTech and WVU. Then the south is FSU, Miami, Clemson, GTech, UNC, NCSU, Duke, and Wake.
GA St. MBB Fan
Level1
Level1

Post by GA St. MBB Fan »

GannonFan wrote:
GA St. MBB Fan wrote:
But all of that depends on nova becoming a viable FBS football program. Even under what they're talking about right now, nova will be playing in upwards to 3 different venues, none of which are anywhere close to campus nor their own, and they will basically be wards of the Big East conference with the conference spending gobs of money to keep nova afloat. The Big East needs someone like nova just to exist so they're willing to make that concession and basically float nova's program. However, that won't happen when a major conference (like the ACC in this case) needs to expand maybe out to 16 teams. The ACC isn't going to fade away so they aren't desperate to pay the dime to prop up someone's football program. If they only get to 14 or 15 teams, that's fine - you just need 12 for the conference title game and going with 15 solid football programs is better than going with the same 15 and another football program that will be a leach in terms of revenue. nova needs to become profitable football-wise before they would be a target of one of the BCS conference that will remain standing after all of this - sucking at the teat of the Big East won't be very attractive once the Big East falls apart.

Sorry I didn't mention that I was basing my argument on the assumption that 'Nova would become profitable football-wise before the Big East falls a part. I only figured the Big East would subsidize the program for the first couple of years or so, basically the start up costs, until 'Nova can begin living off the BCS revenues that the other Big East schools are living off. So that essentially if/when the Big East falls a part, 'Nova can cleanly go elsewhere with out needing another conference's subsidy.
State Line Liquors
Level2
Level2

Post by State Line Liquors »

Bostonspider wrote:Actually, with the ACC, I think that VU's academic reputation would really help them to join. I could see a northern division of BC, UConn, Syracuse, VIllanova, Maryland, Virginia, VaTech and WVU. Then the south is FSU, Miami, Clemson, GTech, UNC, NCSU, Duke, and Wake.
Just to confirm the direction here (and I'm not pointing the finger at you specifically Bostonspider), we've now officially moved the conversation from just Villanova joining the BE in football, to now, Villanova joining the BE in football>>>>>the BE then collapsing>>>>>Villanova joining the ACC.

Have we figured out where Villanova is actually playing football yet? Have the Augustinians considered the ACC permutation yet? Is Villanova already going behind the backs of the BE to have feasibility conversations with the ACC? Will they be bringing Xavier and Richmond along with them to the ACC as some have rumored with the BE move? :rofl:

Since Nova is one of the keystone's here, how can we expect Rutgers, Pitt, Cincinatti, Louisville, Seton Hall, Depaul, Marquette & St. John's to respond?

Finally, where do you think West Carolina & Gardner Webb fit in the picture?
Fact
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Villanova
A.K.A.: meek millz

Post by Fact »

This has turned into the Delaware Fan Villanova Player Haters Ball
http://twitter.com/TheFoyeEffect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
State Line Liquors
Level2
Level2

Fact wrote:This has turned into the Delaware Fan Villanova Player Haters Ball
Disagree.

I think we're really starting to make some progress here...you always have to be playing chess several moves ahead and I like the gameplan being discussed.

Facts & All othe VU fans: the world is your oyster, carpe diem, nothing ventured nothing gained, strike while the iron is hot, et al. Make the move! Do it! It makes perfect sense. All the pieces are finally in place. The FCS title belt is already yours. Fan support has never been higher.

Home and home with Miami and FSU in consecutive years!
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

State Line Liquors wrote:
Fact wrote:This has turned into the Delaware Fan Villanova Player Haters Ball
Disagree.

I think we're really starting to make some progress here...you always have to be playing chess several moves ahead and I like the gameplan being discussed.

Facts & All othe VU fans: the world is your oyster, carpe diem, nothing ventured nothing gained, strike while the iron is hot, et al. Make the move! Do it! It makes perfect sense. All the pieces are finally in place. The FCS title belt is already yours. Fan support has never been higher.

Home and home with Miami and FSU in consecutive years!
It is what it is. The Nova administrators are taking this one day at a time, and not looking past the next meeting about a move. Only time will tell.
State Line Liquors
Level2
Level2

clenz wrote:
State Line Liquors wrote: Facts & All othe VU fans: the world is your oyster, carpe diem, nothing ventured nothing gained, strike while the iron is hot, et al.
It is what it is. The Nova administrators are taking this one day at a time, and not looking past the next meeting about a move. Only time will tell.
Between your post and mine, I think we've dug pretty deep in our pocket for cliches. If you can think of any others, speak now or forever hold your 'piece'.
PenthouseClosedEnd
Level2
Level2

Post by PenthouseClosedEnd »

State Line Liquors wrote:
Bostonspider wrote:Actually, with the ACC, I think that VU's academic reputation would really help them to join. I could see a northern division of BC, UConn, Syracuse, VIllanova, Maryland, Virginia, VaTech and WVU. Then the south is FSU, Miami, Clemson, GTech, UNC, NCSU, Duke, and Wake.
Just to confirm the direction here (and I'm not pointing the finger at you specifically Bostonspider), we've now officially moved the conversation from just Villanova joining the BE in football, to now, Villanova joining the BE in football>>>>>the BE then collapsing>>>>>Villanova joining the ACC.

Have we figured out where Villanova is actually playing football yet? Have the Augustinians considered the ACC permutation yet? Is Villanova already going behind the backs of the BE to have feasibility conversations with the ACC? Will they be bringing Xavier and Richmond along with them to the ACC as some have rumored with the BE move? :rofl:

Since Nova is one of the keystone's here, how can we expect Rutgers, Pitt, Cincinatti, Louisville, Seton Hall, Depaul, Marquette & St. John's to respond?

Finally, where do you think West Carolina & Gardner Webb fit in the picture?
Stop dragging The University of Richmond into this. The Richmond school they want is VCU. VCU Football is the lynchpin that makes this whole thing work. Just watch.
PenthouseClosedEnd
Level2
Level2

Post by PenthouseClosedEnd »

clenz wrote:It is what it is. The Nova administrators are taking this one day at a time, and not looking past the next meeting about a move. Only time will tell.
:rofl: