CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Re: Playoff teams proximity to Chatty and Frisco

Post by CatMom »

clenz wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: Got off the plane in 2008 in Chatty and it was close to 70 after leaving Missoula where it was near zero to -10. I was inappropriately dressed with a sweatshirt on that time. :lol:
TBH has family in the Louisville area. We were there over Christmas a couple years ago and it was something like 45-50 degrees down there. All the locals had winter coats on, stocking hats, and complained of the cold. We were walking around in t-shirts and gym shorts. I checked at one point and it was 53 in Louisville and at the same time in CF it was -38 after the wind chill was factored in. It was funny to watch them bitch about the weather they had.
Tell me that none of you "college ejumicated" people, on this forum, understands the physiology on this because I'll gladly explain it.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

CatMom wrote:
clenz wrote: TBH has family in the Louisville area. We were there over Christmas a couple years ago and it was something like 45-50 degrees down there. All the locals had winter coats on, stocking hats, and complained of the cold. We were walking around in t-shirts and gym shorts. I checked at one point and it was 53 in Louisville and at the same time in CF it was -38 after the wind chill was factored in. It was funny to watch them bitch about the weather they had.
Tell me that none of you "college ejumicated" people, on this forum, understands the physiology on this because I'll gladly explain it.
It's a simple explanation. It's in your mind primarily. You get used to it and that's that. If you're not giving yourself a chance to get used to a little cooler weather (40-60 degrees) :lol: by constantly bundling up then you ain't gonna be able to handle what others are. Your body is relatively the same as those that can handle it but your head is the problem.

Did I cover it for ya?

BTW, there are 3 guys in my office and our thermostat is set at 60 cuz wasting money on having it at 72 just seems stupid. After the first week of cold it seems pretty fuckin' warm in here. I'm sure we could all be a slave to our perception if we let it go that way but we don't.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

CatMom wrote:
clenz wrote: TBH has family in the Louisville area. We were there over Christmas a couple years ago and it was something like 45-50 degrees down there. All the locals had winter coats on, stocking hats, and complained of the cold. We were walking around in t-shirts and gym shorts. I checked at one point and it was 53 in Louisville and at the same time in CF it was -38 after the wind chill was factored in. It was funny to watch them bitch about the weather they had.
It takes very little time to adjust from 80 degree weather to 40 or 50 degree weather.

Now if we are talking about the fans from SELA having to adjust to an door game at UND, NDSU, Montana, UNI, etc... in January that I could understand.

The same can be said for the fans coming from areas where the weather is about zero for the winter going to a place where the weather, on a cold day, is 50. You don't think that we may have issues adjusting to prolong periods of weather where the difference is 60 or 70 degrees warmer? Yeah, the warm feels nice but it can be down right hot at 50 degrees for some.

I go to St. Louis the first weekend in March. I'll leave CF at 7 or 8AM on that Thursday and it will be 20, give or take, we get to St. Louis and it is 70 or so. It's actually downright hot at 70 and uncomfortable for longer walks.

We deal with it though because we don't get the warm weather all year around. Our closest consist of more than t-shirts, cut offs, and shorts.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Also, cold weather "feels" much more cold in a humid rather than a dry environment.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AppGuy04
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Appalachian State
A.K.A.: Resident Apphole

Post by AppGuy04 »

Living in NC my whole life, its hilarious to me when all the damn Northerners, which almost outnumber native NC'ers, complain about the cold. We get the typical "I moved out of the north to get away from the cold" all the damn time.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

AppGuy04 wrote:Living in NC my whole life, its hilarious to me when all the damn Northerners, which almost outnumber native NC'ers, complain about the cold. We get the typical "I moved out of the north to get away from the cold" all the damn time.
Every time someone bitches about the cold all you got say usually is that there is no such thing as bad weather but there is such a thing as bad clothing choices.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

AppGuy04 wrote:Living in NC my whole life, its hilarious to me when all the damn Northerners, which almost outnumber native NC'ers, complain about the cold. We get the typical "I moved out of the north to get away from the cold" all the damn time.
They moved out, because like Ursus (I believe) said it is a psychological thing more than a physical thing. If you refuse to get used to it you never will.
AppGuy04
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Appalachian State
A.K.A.: Resident Apphole

Post by AppGuy04 »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
Every time someone bitches about the cold all you got say usually is that there is no such thing as bad weather but there is such a thing as bad clothing choices.

My stock response is "could be worse"
CatMom
Level3
Level3

Post by CatMom »

There is no gradual adjusting here. It can be 45 at 7 AM and 75 by 3 PM then go back down overnight. The "harshest" part of our "winter" here there is usually a 10-20 degree differential in just a few hours. This leads to overdressing or underdressing. It's very confusing at times.

I grew up in the northeast and I had no problems with the gradual changes in the temp from summer to fall to winter. TX has no real seasons except warm, hot and hotter. I loved the snow, sledding, skating, making igloos, having snowball fights.....even as an adult and I had no issues shoveling snow. I didn't enjoy being in a short skirt on game days in November, though, when I was in HS.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Less than a month ago it was in the 70's in Cedar Falls, it is currently 30 with freezing rain. There isn't much gradual around here, Minnesota, SD, ND, WI, etc... Heck, in a three day spa in November n CF went from a high of 70 to a high of 39.

The same thing happens here in the summer. There were mornings when I was coaching I'd get up at 6AM to head to the field to prep it for the day. I'd walk out of the house at 6:30 and it would be 40, or so, but by 10:30 it was int he 80's with humidity at the same level.

Weather extremes don't only happen in one part of the country. The south doesn't have a monopoly on hot, however, the North does have a monopoly on cold. I would say anyone south of the 38-40 degree North line of latitude (Mountain regions excluded) don't really know much about "cold".

It's not that hard to adjust to a 20 degree difference....especially in places like Texas. 45 degrees at 7AM? Um...wear a light wind jacket, then leave it in your car when you go into work or whatever. Or, to use a "sexist term" man the fuck up in the morning and deal with the 45 degree temp. That isn't that freaking cold. 4 or 5, sometimes 6 depending on the year, months of the year there is a good chunk of the country that would give pretty much anything to have a 45 degree day for a HIGH.

If you wore a short skirt in the NE in November and didn't like the cold that is your own fucking fault. Like Ursus said, dress for the weather. I laugh when I see the lines at the bars this time of year and I see all of the girls in whore clothes freezing their ass off and bitching about the temp.

EDIT:

I did some checking to see what the average difference in low to high temp is in Iowa for a day in January then in July

Jan - Average low 9 Average high 28 - difference of 19 degrees
July - Average low 67 Average high 87 - difference of 20 degrees

Average in San Marcos, Texas
Jan - Average low 40 Average high 60 - difference of 20 degrees
July - Average low 75 Average high 95 - difference of 20 degrees

20 seems to be the standard average between high and low for about 20 places I checked from all areas of the country.
Last edited by clenz on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

CatMom wrote:There is no gradual adjusting here. It can be 45 at 7 AM and 75 by 3 PM then go back down overnight. The "harshest" part of our "winter" here there is usually a 10-20 degree differential in just a few hours. This leads to overdressing or underdressing. It's very confusing at times.

I grew up in the northeast and I had no problems with the gradual changes in the temp from summer to fall to winter. TX has no real seasons except warm, hot and hotter. I loved the snow, sledding, skating, making igloos, having snowball fights.....even as an adult and I had no issues shoveling snow. I didn't enjoy being in a short skirt on game days in November, though, when I was in HS.
30 degree differential sounds pretty normal to me in Spring & Fall. I've seen it change by 100 degrees in a 24 hr. period so you ain't getting what I'm saying.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

CatMom wrote:There is no gradual adjusting here. It can be 45 at 7 AM and 75 by 3 PM then go back down overnight. The "harshest" part of our "winter" here there is usually a 10-20 degree differential in just a few hours. This leads to overdressing or underdressing. It's very confusing at times.

30 degree differential sounds pretty normal to me in Spring & Fall. I've seen it change by 100 degrees in a 24 hr. period so you ain't getting what I'm saying.
It is pretty standard.

Check the edit on my post.

I used wunderground.com to get the seasonal averages. 20-30 is standard about year around all around the country.
CatMom
Level3
Level3

Post by CatMom »

clenz, it was the 70's. I was in color guard. I didn't have a choice there.
CatMom
Level3
Level3

Post by CatMom »

It is different and I am tired of this same argument from those that do not live here and do not understand it.

I was home (NJ) in Jan of 2005 for my dad's funeral. It was cold, snowed a couple days, windy...bitter and I actually didn't have any problems staying warm/comfortable (even in a dress for the funeral itself) but I do here. When my brother passed in Dec 2006 it got cold (but not nearly the temps in NJ), windy and miserable in Dallas and I nearly froze my ass off.

35 in the AM to 55 in the afternoon, then back again does not allow for adjustments. In NJ if it was cold as shit in the AM, it was cold as shit in the PM. I have lived half my life in both climates.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

CatMom wrote:It is different and I am tired of this same argument from those that do not live here and do not understand it.

I was home (NJ) in Jan of 2005 for my dad's funeral. It was cold, snowed a couple days, windy...bitter and I actually didn't have any problems staying warm/comfortable (even in a dress for the funeral itself) but I do here. When my brother passed in Dec 2006 it got cold (but not nearly the temps in NJ), windy and miserable in Dallas and I nearly froze my ass off.

35 in the AM to 55 in the afternoon, then back again does not allow for adjustments. In NJ if it was cold as shit in the AM, it was cold as shit in the PM. I have lived half my life in both climates.
So it's gonna be worse weather in Frisco than in Chatty even though the temps are the same or fairly close? That kinda sucks.

I'll assume though that I could get by in the 45 there and I'll just equate it to something like 30 here. That don't seem so bad.

Wear your earmuffs.
CatMom
Level3
Level3

Post by CatMom »

CatMom wrote:It is different and I am tired of this same argument from those that do not live here and do not understand it.

So it's gonna be worse weather in Frisco than in Chatty even though the temps are the same or fairly close? That kinda sucks.

I'll assume though that I could get by in the 45 there and I'll just equate it to something like 30 here. That don't seem so bad.

Wear your earmuffs.
I got my winter gear, never got rid of it. I can handle a game at 45, but not 40. It's weird. (ie: probably me)
You do realize that I can be blown over in a mild wind, right?
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Bottom line is fewer playoff teams get the opportunity to make the drive this year vs. others. I respect the fact that that the BSC flies everywhere, but it's hard to deny the fact that most of the FCS population is east of the MS. I guess it will take a couple of years of 8,000 crowds in the diet Pepsi arena to maybe make the point that it's not the best venue. I'm not defending Chatty at all, but Jeez you could make a case for Indy or Chicago before Frisco soccer complex. Football is best served cold IMHO - maybe St. Louis?
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Hell, since everyone has to fly anyway, let's just have it in Tahiti. I'm sure they have a soccer field somewhere.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Twentysix
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU
A.K.A.: Twentysix

Post by Twentysix »

Calling bullshit right now on the 100 degree shift in 24 hours.

Ive seen 35 to -44. But thats the extreme, and figuring in windchill.

We have the worst humidity ive ever experienced, Western ND is so nice compared to fargo.

I laughed my ass off during the VT v Boise st game when they were saying the boise state players couldnt handle 40%(Cause it was SOOO Humid where they played that game, DC i think?lulz) humidity and had to try and simulate it indoors.

At this very second its -12 F and 73% humidity in fargo.

Its gonna be alot colder, come sunday the HIGH (Actual) temp is -7, Low is -19 Actual, meaning if theres a wind possibly -40. I couldnt imagine a playoff game in which southern teams were sent to dacotah field.

How could they do it?
9-0 6-0 #1
Twentysix
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU
A.K.A.: Twentysix

Post by Twentysix »

Is anyone here a researcher by hobby?

Im curious as to the W/L ratio of southern teams(FCSvFCS) sent to northern outdoor stadiums, (heres the catch) Game temp has to be below -30 windchill.

(I hate research and thats why i ask if someone else likes doing it.)
9-0 6-0 #1
Thumper 76
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: South Dakota State

Post by Thumper 76 »

:crybaby: :dead: :pissed: This is all I am hearing in this thread from the east coast guys. Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it. The game is there now.

Please don't tell Obama what comes after a Trillion.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Oh and catmom today the low in CF was 2 and the high is projected at 35. That kind if temp swing is harder to adjust too than going from 70 to 90.

Oh and the high tomorrow is supposed to be about 3 degrees with a low of about -10. Texans are some of the last people to complain about weather changes.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Twentysix wrote:Calling bullshit right now on the 100 degree shift in 24 hours.

are ya.
Twentysix wrote:
Ive seen 35 to -44. But thats the extreme, and figuring in windchill.
have ya.
CatMom
Level3
Level3

Post by CatMom »

clenz wrote:Oh and catmom today the low in CF was 2 and the high is projected at 35. That kind if temp swing is harder to adjust too than going from 70 to 90.

Oh and the high tomorrow is supposed to be about 3 degrees with a low of about -10. Texans are some of the last people to complain about weather changes.
I'm not a Texan, I just live here. So that allows me to complain as much as I damn well please.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

CatMom wrote:
clenz wrote:Oh and catmom today the low in CF was 2 and the high is projected at 35. That kind if temp swing is harder to adjust too than going from 70 to 90.

I'm not a Texan, I just live here. So that allows me to complain as much as I damn well please.
Bull shit. Do you file taxes in Texas, is your home/vehicle/insurance/etc... all Texas?

You're a fucking Texan.

You bitch about everything, get called out on it then have to back track and fight even harder.

Face it Texans...excuse me, people who live in Texas... don't have shit to complain about for weather - except those along the Gulf Coast with the hurricanes.