TX State Hires Traitor

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

TX State Hires Traitor

Post by SuperHornet »

As CatMom alluded to in her Update thread, the Texas State Bobcats have hired former coach Dennis Franchione for his second term in San Marcos after a sham of a search. He coached the Bobcats in 1990-91 before going to New Mexico. While coaching the Lobos, he bailed on the best QB in WAC history (Graham Leigh) going for a paycheck instead. I wonder if he'll treat the 'Cats the same way the second time around.

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x ... -man-again

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: TX State Hires Traitor

Post by dbackjon »

Why do you call him a traitor?
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Because of the way he bailed on my teammate just for a stinking paycheck.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SuperHornet wrote:Because of the way he bailed on my teammate just for a stinking paycheck.
You've never left a job for a higher paying one?
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Nope.

ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Appalachian State

Post by ASUMountaineer »

SuperHornet wrote:As CatMom alluded to in her Update thread, the Texas State Bobcats have hired former coach Dennis Franchione for his second term in San Marcos after a sham of a search. He coached the Bobcats in 1990-91 before going to New Mexico. While coaching the Lobos, he bailed on the best QB in WAC history (Graham Leigh) going for a paycheck instead. I wonder if he'll treat the 'Cats the same way the second time around.

To see a "traitor" or as we say "douchebag" see Peterson, Buzz.
Appalachian State Mountaineers:

National Champions: 2005, 2006, and 2007
Southern Conference Champions: 1986, 1987, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! WE'RE GONNA SHOUT IT! NOTHING'S HOTTER THAN A-S-U!
ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Appalachian State

Post by ASUMountaineer »

dbackjon wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:Because of the way he bailed on my teammate just for a stinking paycheck.
You've never left a job for a higher paying one?
I have, I just did (though it was a promotion). :)
Appalachian State Mountaineers:

National Champions: 2005, 2006, and 2007
Southern Conference Champions: 1986, 1987, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! WE'RE GONNA SHOUT IT! NOTHING'S HOTTER THAN A-S-U!
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

SuperHornet wrote:Nope.
If you have had opportunities to move on to better pay and just said "no" due to some screwed sense of loyalty then you are a traitor to your family and any that may now or in the future might depend on you. If you are offered higher pay for a similar job with similar tasks and a similar environment and you just don't take it because you have some sense of distorted morality to a kid in your program over yourself and those in your own family then so be it.

Moving to a better job doesn't make him a traitor in my book. Some people want to excel in their profession and I don't fault em' for it.
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
If you have had opportunities to move on to better pay and just said "no" due to some screwed sense of loyalty then you are a traitor to your family and any that may now or in the future might depend on you. If you are offered higher pay for a similar job with similar tasks and a similar environment and you just don't take it because you have some sense of distorted morality to a kid in your program over yourself and those in your own family then so be it.

Moving to a better job doesn't make him a traitor in my book. Some people want to excel in their profession and I don't fault em' for it.
:+1:
JayJ79
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: myself

Post by JayJ79 »

still working at McDonalds then, are you?

or maybe you just stuck with that paper route.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

JayJ79 wrote:
still working at McDonalds then, are you?

or maybe you just stuck with that paper route.
:lol:

Great point. You took it to the extreme conclusion and I should probably still be working for dad at his shop for $10/week. I mean if I had any fucking loyalty at all that's where i would be anyway. I did get a cool record as a bonus once in a while too so I gave up even more pay than I previously thought. I would fuckin' love to go back to when I was 11 or 12 and try and renegotiate my salary with that SOB though. :lol:

He really had the upper hand in negotiations back then.
slycat
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas State

Post by slycat »

I'm willing to give the hire a try. Fran has the potential to be a great coach.

I'm annoyed we hired the search firm and he wasn't recommended and yet they interview and hire him anyway. This could have been done a month ago.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

What, no FBS offer?

At this rate, Denny will be back coaching high school in Lufkin by 2015. :coffee:

:mrgreen:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Post by CatMom »

Ivytalk wrote:What, no FBS offer?
At this rate, Denny will be back coaching high school in Lufkin by 2015. :coffee:

:mrgreen:
This is an FBS offer

:lol:
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by MrTitleist »

SuperHornet wrote:As CatMom alluded to in her Update thread, the Texas State Bobcats have hired former coach Dennis Franchione for his second term in San Marcos after a sham of a search. He coached the Bobcats in 1990-91 before going to New Mexico. While coaching the Lobos, he bailed on the best QB in WAC history (Graham Leigh) going for a paycheck instead. I wonder if he'll treat the 'Cats the same way the second time around.

Wait.. who the **** is Graham Leigh? The best QB in WAC history, are you **** high? I could name 10 QBs who were all better just off the top of my head.
ImageImageImageImageImage
CatMom
Level3
Level3

Post by CatMom »

FWIW - From Tyler Mayforth (and if this was the same for all of them, it's no wonder they all shut the door behind them and went home)

"Wright (Bobby Jack) was very much a finalist after having a solid interview with the administration at Texas State. He left the meeting feeling good about his chances of landing the job.

His interview went so well that the Bobcats did extend a contract offer, but this is where it gets dicey: Included in Wright's contract was a stipulation that Texas State could fire him at any moment but then reassign him to another position within the University system.

Wright took a look at the contract with his lawyers and turned the job down."

From one of our knowledgeable posters
People this is NOT new! This is the same contract Bailiff would not sign! He was coaching here w/o a contract b/c the contract was totally one sided and didn't protect him nor his asst. coaches. Point is nothing has changed here guys! Brad Wright signed the contract with a $60k yr buyout rather than the 250K he would have made if he had stayed. BW should NEVER had signed it either! Bad advice from his lawyer.

What a frikkin' circus!!!!!!!
Last edited by CatMom on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

MrTitleist wrote:

Wait.. who the fuck is Graham Leigh? The best QB in WAC history, are you fucking high? I could name 10 QBs who were all better just off the top of my head.
I don't even follow it and I can name a few myself.

Sometimes SH just says things. There is no rhyme or reason to it. :lol:

It's best not to give it any credence at all.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:
Wait.. who the fuck is Graham Leigh? The best QB in WAC history, are you fucking high? I could name 10 QBs who were all better just off the top of my head.
I don't even follow it and I can name a few myself.

Sometimes SH just says things. There is no rhyme or reason to it. :lol:

It's best not to give it any credence at all.
To give you guys some perspective, SH has been harping for the past few years on Sac Buzz that our 3rd string QB should be the starter because of family ties to the program.
:jack:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

MrTitleist wrote:

Wait.. who the **** is Graham Leigh? The best QB in WAC history, are you **** high? I could name 10 QBs who were all better just off the top of my head.
He was my teammate at UOP. So I'm a little biased. So what?

:coffee:

MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by MrTitleist »

You can't just say crazy things and try to have any credibility, it doesn't work that way.
ImageImageImageImageImage
youngterrier
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: the option
A.K.A.: Boss the Terrier

Post by youngterrier »

MrTitleist wrote:You can't just say crazy things and try to have any credibility, it doesn't work that way.
has that stopped him before?
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

MrTitleist wrote:You can't just say crazy things and try to have any credibility, it doesn't work that way.
Exactly. :nod:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Well that sure as fuck ain't gonna stop me.
DKHardee
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina
A.K.A.: CCU

Post by DKHardee »

ASUMountaineer wrote:To see a "traitor" or as we say "douchebag" see Peterson, Buzz.
Peterson leaving us was the best thing to happen to us (CCU).
CatMom
Level3
Level3

Post by CatMom »

Seriously - taking this back. Have any of you, in recent history, seen terms like this in a college contract? Bet you anything these other coaches are all laughing themselves sick over the audacity of our AD to even go that route.

So there sits Fran (and Jr) just waiting for the rest to clear the room.

Larry, LT, I'm still here old buddy. I'll do it. :bow:

We were already the brunt of jokes and they just allowed it to continue on to the next level :thumbdown: