Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Oddly early preseason top-25 FCS

Post by Skjellyfetti »

1. Eastern Washington, Big Sky
2010 Record: 13-2
The defending national champions bring back a slew of talent. QB Bo Levi Mitchell is a preseason favorite for the Walter Payton Award.

2. Georgia Southern, Southern
2010 Record: 10-5
Head coach Jeff Monken breathed life back into Statesboro with his playoff run. The Eagles could have the best defense in the country.

3. Appalachian State, Southern
2010 Record: 10-3
The Mountaineers are looking to QB DeAndre Presley to have another stellar year. Presley scored 34 total touchdowns in 2010.

4. Delaware, CAA
2010 Record: 12-3
The national runner-ups have a great one in RB Antonio Pierce. As a true freshman Pierce rushed for 1,655 yards and 14 touchdowns.

5. Wofford, Southern
Running back Eric Breitenstein returns after leading the nation in rushing touchdowns with 22. The Terriers also have a good one in DE Ameet Pall.

6. Northern Iowa, MVC
2010 Record: 7-5
Quarterback Tirrell Rennie is one of the most electrifying players at his position. Rennie and running back Carlos Anderson lead one of the top rushing attacks in the nation.

7. Montana State, Big Sky
2010 Record: 9-3
The Bobcats had one of the most balanced offensive attacks in the country last season. Returning quarterback Denarius McGhee passed for 3,000 yards and running back Orenzo Davis rushed for 1,100 yards.

8. William & Mary, CAA
2010 Record: 8-4
Linebacker Dante Cook returns to lead a stout Tribe defense. Quarterback Michael Paulus is returning from injury after a promising start last season.

9. North Dakota State, MVC
2010 Record: 9-5
The Bison are lead by running back D.J McNorton and defensive end Coulter Boyer. McNorton had 2,000 all purpose yards and 19 touchdowns last season.

10. Cal Poly, Great West
2010 Record: 7-4
The Mustangs potent rushing attack brings back running back Mark Rodgers who had 1,900 all purpose yards. Quarterback Andre Broadous returns after splitting time with Tony Smith.

11. Jacksonville State, Ohio Valley
The Gamecocks started last season on fire, winning eight in a row. Quarterback Marques Ivory is looking to repeat that early season success.

12. Central Arkansas, Southland
Quarterback Nathan Dick and versatile running back Terrance Bobo return on offense. The Bear defense is lead by linebacker Frank Newsome.

13. Liberty, Big South
2010 Record: 8-3
The Flames have one of the most electrifying players in the country in quarterback Mike Brown. His top target, receiver Chris Summers, is back after notching 15 touchdown grabs last season.

14. Chattanooga, Southern
2010 Record: 6-5
Head coach Russ Huesman and quarterback B.J. Coleman have reinvigorated this program. Coleman has a great receiver in Joel Bradford.

15. Montana, Big Sky
The Grizz have one of the best linebacking corps in the country led by Caleb McSurdy and Jordan Tripp. Montana is reloading on the offensive side of the ball.

16. Southern Utah, Great West
Quarterback Brad Sorenson is a talented pocket passer. Sorenson was down right efficient last season with 21 touchdowns to only six interceptions.

17. South Carolina State, MEAC
The Bulldogs are looking to athletic quarterback Derrick Wiley to take over the offense. Defensive lineman Pat Washington and linebackers Donovan Richard lead the MEAC's top defense.

18. Sacramento State, Big Sky
Quarterback Jeff Fleming has a good number of weapons at his disposal. The Hornets defense is led by defensive lineman Zack Nash who notched 13 sacks last season.

19. SE Missouri State, Ohio Valley
Dual-threat quarterback Matt Scheible leads the defending OVC champions. Head coach Tony Samuel won the Eddie Robinson Award in 2010.

20. Western Illinois, MVC
2010: 8-5
One of the top rushing tandems return, running backs Caulton Ray and Bryce Flowers combined for 1,879 yards and 17 touchdowns.

21. Murray State, Ohio Valley
2010: 6-5
Quarterback Casey Brockman performed well last season and is progressing well in Chris Hatcher's spread attack. Running back Mike Harris returns after rushing for 900 yards and 10 touchdowns.

22. Stephen F. Austin, Southland
The Lumberjacks lose Walter Payton Award winner Jeremy Moses but return basically everyone else. It looks like Brady Attaway is the man now.

23. Jacksonville, Pioneer
2010 Record: 10-1
Quarterback Josh McGregor returns after throwing 32 touchdowns to only seven interceptions last season. Running back J.J. Laster will carry the load as he impressed averaging 8.5 ypc in 2010.

24. Villanova, CAA
The 2009 national champs are looking to reload. The Wildcats might have brought in the nation's top recruiting class at the FCS level.

25. Eastern Kentucky, Ohio Valley
Quarterback T.J. Pryor leads the Colonels after an impressive 2010 campaign. Pryor's top target, wide receiver Orlandus Harris returns as well.
http://www.southernpigskin.com/SoCon/vi ... fcs-top-25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

now queue eveyone bitching about preseason polls. :lol:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Oddly early preseason top-25 FCS

Post by SuperHornet »

I like the love, but only EWU is in the right spot.

1. GA Southern is way too high.
2. App is too low.
3. Delaware is too low.
4. Liberty and Montana are too low.
5. Sac and just about everyone else are too high.

But it'll all wash out about a month or so into the season....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SuperHornet wrote:I like the love, but only EWU is in the right spot.

2. App is too low.
3. Delaware is too low.

I'll just go ahead and disagree with every one of your points.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

If anything App is too high, imo. Just not feeling that confident about this season. Our defense has been the achille's heel the past couple of years... and we've been loaded with talent. A good chunk of that talent will now be gone. We've got some guys that can step in... but, I think the defense drops off next year.... which is bad.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Monarchs, Gators, Huskies

Post by ODUalum11 »

2. App is too low.
3. Delaware is too low.

how about ODU not being in the top 25 at all. :roll: :ohno: :lol:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

This really isn't a completely terrible preseason pick, except for the fact that they give the non-power leagues way too much credit. Let's face it. It gets validated year after year in the playoffs. Autobids from sorry conferences just don't go very far in the playoffs for the most part. My preseason top 25 will be heavily populated by teams from the BSC, CAA, SoCon, and MVFC. I don't subscribe to the theory that I have to have a representative from every autobid conference in my top 25, especially when I think they'll get waxed early.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

Only 2 CAA teams in the top 20 and 3 in the top 25 - Big time down year for the conference being predicted?
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

tribe_pride wrote:Only 2 CAA teams in the top 20 and 3 in the top 25 - Big time down year for the conference being predicted?
did ODU pick the right year to join the conference?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

tribe_pride wrote:Only 2 CAA teams in the top 20 and 3 in the top 25 - Big time down year for the conference being predicted?
I don't know why URI isn't getting any love. Don't tell anyone, but they're my darkhorse for 2011!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

93henfan wrote:

2. App is too low.
3. Delaware is too low.

I'll just go ahead and disagree with every one of your points.
Including #5, which goes counter to just about everything I've ever said here?

:?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

QB Bo Levi Mitchell is a preseason favorite for the Walter Payton Award.
:rofl:

Yeah, if he throws 10 less INTs then maybe. He did perform a lot better in the latter half of the year, so it'll be interesting to see if he can carry it over to the fall.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
QB Bo Levi Mitchell is a preseason favorite for the Walter Payton Award.
:rofl:

Yeah, if he throws 10 less INTs then maybe. He did perform a lot better in the latter half of the year, so it'll be interesting to see if he can carry it over to the fall.
FWIW, Thomas Demarco was named to the watch list last year and he finished no where close to having a good enough season to be a finalist.
lakesbison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU
A.K.A.: lakesbison

Post by lakesbison »

NDSU will be kicking ALL of you asses next year. get used to it.

oh, georgia southern backed out a 2nd week game vs NDSU. how sweet would that game of been @ the Fargodome!!
Willie
Level4
Level4

Post by Willie »

lakesbison wrote:NDSU will be kicking ALL of you asses next year. get used to it.

oh, georgia southern backed out a 2nd week game vs NDSU. how sweet would that game of been @ the Fargodome!!
:ohno:
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

lakesbison wrote:NDSU will be kicking ALL of you asses next year. get used to it.

You know all the fans at every NDSU away game are going to bring cowbells, right? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Congrats by the way to the 2010 NDSU paper champs. :thumb:
ArmyOfDarkness
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UofM

Post by ArmyOfDarkness »

What the fuck is a Fargodome????

Maybe....???

Or....???

:D :thumb:
Well hello Mister Fancypants. I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things right now: Jack and sh¡t... and Jack left town. - Ash
Tribe4SF
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: William and Mary

Post by Tribe4SF »

Alot wrong with this ranking. I'll take New Hampshire over UNI, and anyone ranked below #9. JMU returns 10 from a very good defense, and like 89, Rhode Island is my darkhorse.
Go Tribe!!!
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

Maybe it's southern bias but here is ALL you need to know about how screwed up this poll is:

MORE OVC teams appear than CAA teams. :tothehand:
Make Delaware Football Great Again
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

ASU is too high - I agree with KY's assessment, and we might be a top 10 team - lots of departures in '10. GSU and Wofford will be for real this season and will likely battle it out for the SoCon championship.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

2. App is too low.
3. Delaware is too low.

Not sure how UD can be too low. #4 losing their starting QB, the entire defensive backfield, and a key LB.

I'd agree most are too high. These teams all perennially dissapoint...

13. Liberty, Big South
UCABEAR
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Central Arkansas
A.K.A.: UCABEAR

Post by UCABEAR »

Not sure how UD can be too low. #4 losing their starting QB, the entire defensive backfield, and a key LB.

13. Liberty, Big South
per·en·ni·al (p -r n - l). adj. 1. Lasting or active through the year or through many years. 2. a. Lasting an indefinitely long time; enduring: perennial ...

I can see how you would be perennially dissapointed in a team that is 3 years in division I and they win the conference their first year and nearly make it to the playoffs with a 7 - 4 record the first eligible playoff year. 3 years. Not decades like some teams. 3 years. I'm not disappointed. I'm ready for that new turf, skyboxes, and new weight facility that are going in that will draw the better recruits. Things are looking sooo much better than first in conference and playoff eligible.. :notworthy:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UCABEAR wrote:

13. Liberty, Big South
per·en·ni·al (p -r n - l). adj. 1. Lasting or active through the year or through many years. 2. a. Lasting an indefinitely long time; enduring: perennial ...

I can see how you would be perennially dissapointed in a team that is 3 years in division I and they win the conference their first year and nearly make it to the playoffs with a 7 - 4 record the first eligible playoff year. 3 years. Not decades like some teams. 3 years. I'm not disappointed. I'm ready for that new turf, skyboxes, and new weight facility that are going in that will draw the better recruits. Things are looking sooo much better than first in conference and playoff eligible.. :notworthy:
Yeah, you probably shouldn't have been included in that list. It just seems to me that UCA is on the verge the last 2-3 years of making some noise and they just aren't there yet.
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: All
A.K.A.: same

Post by SmallCollegeFBFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
1. Eastern Washington, Big Sky
2010 Record: 13-2
The defending national champions bring back a slew of talent. QB Bo Levi Mitchell is a preseason favorite for the Walter Payton Award.

2. Georgia Southern, Southern
2010 Record: 10-5
Head coach Jeff Monken breathed life back into Statesboro with his playoff run. The Eagles could have the best defense in the country.

3. Appalachian State, Southern
The Mountaineers are looking to QB DeAndre Presley to have another stellar year. Presley scored 34 total touchdowns in 2010.

4. Delaware, CAA
2010 Record: 12-3
The national runner-ups have a great one in RB Antonio Pierce. As a true freshman Pierce rushed for 1,655 yards and 14 touchdowns.

5. Wofford, Southern
Running back Eric Breitenstein returns after leading the nation in rushing touchdowns with 22. The Terriers also have a good one in DE Ameet Pall.

6. Northern Iowa, MVC
2010 Record: 7-5
Quarterback Tirrell Rennie is one of the most electrifying players at his position. Rennie and running back Carlos Anderson lead one of the top rushing attacks in the nation.

7. Montana State, Big Sky
The Bobcats had one of the most balanced offensive attacks in the country last season. Returning quarterback Denarius McGhee passed for 3,000 yards and running back Orenzo Davis rushed for 1,100 yards.

8. William & Mary, CAA
2010 Record: 8-4
Linebacker Dante Cook returns to lead a stout Tribe defense. Quarterback Michael Paulus is returning from injury after a promising start last season.

9. North Dakota State, MVC
The Bison are lead by running back D.J McNorton and defensive end Coulter Boyer. McNorton had 2,000 all purpose yards and 19 touchdowns last season.

10. Cal Poly, Great West
The Mustangs potent rushing attack brings back running back Mark Rodgers who had 1,900 all purpose yards. Quarterback Andre Broadous returns after splitting time with Tony Smith.

The Gamecocks started last season on fire, winning eight in a row. Quarterback Marques Ivory is looking to repeat that early season success.

Quarterback Nathan Dick and versatile running back Terrance Bobo return on offense. The Bear defense is lead by linebacker Frank Newsome.

13. Liberty, Big South
2010 Record: 8-3
The Flames have one of the most electrifying players in the country in quarterback Mike Brown. His top target, receiver Chris Summers, is back after notching 15 touchdown grabs last season.

Head coach Russ Huesman and quarterback B.J. Coleman have reinvigorated this program. Coleman has a great receiver in Joel Bradford.

15. Montana, Big Sky
The Grizz have one of the best linebacking corps in the country led by Caleb McSurdy and Jordan Tripp. Montana is reloading on the offensive side of the ball.

Quarterback Brad Sorenson is a talented pocket passer. Sorenson was down right efficient last season with 21 touchdowns to only six interceptions.

The Bulldogs are looking to athletic quarterback Derrick Wiley to take over the offense. Defensive lineman Pat Washington and linebackers Donovan Richard lead the MEAC's top defense.

Quarterback Jeff Fleming has a good number of weapons at his disposal. The Hornets defense is led by defensive lineman Zack Nash who notched 13 sacks last season.

19. SE Missouri State, Ohio Valley
Dual-threat quarterback Matt Scheible leads the defending OVC champions. Head coach Tony Samuel won the Eddie Robinson Award in 2010.

2010: 8-5
One of the top rushing tandems return, running backs Caulton Ray and Bryce Flowers combined for 1,879 yards and 17 touchdowns.

2010: 6-5
Quarterback Casey Brockman performed well last season and is progressing well in Chris Hatcher's spread attack. Running back Mike Harris returns after rushing for 900 yards and 10 touchdowns.

22. Stephen F. Austin, Southland
The Lumberjacks lose Walter Payton Award winner Jeremy Moses but return basically everyone else. It looks like Brady Attaway is the man now.

2010 Record: 10-1
Quarterback Josh McGregor returns after throwing 32 touchdowns to only seven interceptions last season. Running back J.J. Laster will carry the load as he impressed averaging 8.5 ypc in 2010.

24. Villanova, CAA
The 2009 national champs are looking to reload. The Wildcats might have brought in the nation's top recruiting class at the FCS level.

25. Eastern Kentucky, Ohio Valley
Quarterback T.J. Pryor leads the Colonels after an impressive 2010 campaign. Pryor's top target, wide receiver Orlandus Harris returns as well.
http://www.southernpigskin.com/SoCon/vi ... fcs-top-25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

now queue eveyone bitching about preseason polls. :lol:
A little too much love for the SoCon. Don't see App finishing in the top 5 losing 3 combine guys, 2 of which are on defense, 3 all-americans on defense, 3 OL, 2 key receivers, and lacking experienced depth at RB and in the secondary will hurt as well.

The CAA is not given enough credit. There should just about be 5 teams in the top 25 by default. I'm sure JMU will be better, URI is a better team than given credit for, and I think UNH will be a top 25 caliber team. It would not surprise me to see Richmond in the top 15-20 when all is said and done either with a healthy Corp.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:The CAA is not given enough credit. There should just about be 5 teams in the top 25 by default. I'm sure JMU will be better, URI is a better team than given credit for, and I think UNH will be a top 25 caliber team. It would not surprise me to see Richmond in the top 15-20 when all is said and done either with a healthy Corp.
I said it on another thread... I can see the CAA having a letdown year, similar to 2002. Heck, even in 2003 UD was really the only great team. The current run of multiple good teams really started in 2004.
SmallCollegeFBFan
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: All
A.K.A.: same

Post by SmallCollegeFBFan »

89Hen wrote:
SmallCollegeFBFan wrote:The CAA is not given enough credit. There should just about be 5 teams in the top 25 by default. I'm sure JMU will be better, URI is a better team than given credit for, and I think UNH will be a top 25 caliber team. It would not surprise me to see Richmond in the top 15-20 when all is said and done either with a healthy Corp.
I said it on another thread... I can see the CAA having a letdown year, similar to 2002. Heck, even in 2003 UD was really the only great team. The current run of multiple good teams really started in 2004.
Oh no doubt it will be a down year but do we honestly think the Pioneer League champ would be 4th in the CAA? Even in a down year I would put a couple of them in the 17-25 range. I believe the down year will be more like just 1-2 in the top 10 instead of 3-4 like we are use to seeing. You just can't count out JMU, Richmond, UMASS, etc. as they have found ways to reload pretty quick. I have a hard time believing JMU will finish out of the top 25 for two years in a row.