Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

WASHINGTON HUSKY FANS AREN'T HAPPY ABOUT THE GAME W/ EASTERN

Post by BlackFalkin »

FROM DAWGMAN/RIVALS
Michigan scheduled and lost as I recall to Appalachian State which had won the Division 1-AA (FCS cupcake) championship the year before and the Big Blue haven't lived it down yet. So what does Husky Football gain from playing EWU? Absolutely nothing if we win,....... except one of six wins needed to qualify for bowl eligibility,...... versus a total and complete alltime historical embarrassment if the Huskies lose.

A UW loss to EWU would certainly be the lead story on every TV network covering college football that day and the next......... perhaps all week or the entire season. Not a good think for an eager, hard-working coaching staff trying to rebuild a once great UW football program.

Who should care about scheduling a cupcake-fest for the good of the State of Washington? What has the State of Washington ever done for Husky Football? Zero....nah-da.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=147&f=1361&t=7203682&p=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol: :clap: Could this be ASU-Michigan all over again???
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Re: WASHINGTON HUSKY FANS AREN'T HAPPY ABOUT THE GAME W/ EAS

Post by uofmman1122 »

No offense to Washington, but they aren't Michigan.

In fact, if they lost to EWU, it probably wouldn't receive much coverage at all.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

uofmman1122 wrote:No offense to Washington, but they aren't Michigan.

In fact, if they lost to EWU, it probably wouldn't receive much coverage at all.
Historically they're not, but the Michigan team that lost to App wasn't much better than what the Huskies will field this year. UW has a national championship and while down for the past few years is still an elite program.

Husky fans have a special kind of CAA/NDSU type arrogance.
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

If UW were ranked #5 going in maybe...

but... um... UW - without Jake Locker?

yeah - they shouldn't be too surprised if that doesn't go well for them.

and no, much like everything else west of the rockies nobody in the media will even care.
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:If UW were ranked #5 going in maybe...

but... um... UW - without Jake Locker?

yeah - they shouldn't be too surprised if that doesn't go well for them.

and no, much like everything else west of the rockies not in LA nobody in the media will even care.
Accuracy..
Thundering Herd
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: Northside Bison

Post by Thundering Herd »

If EWU were to win, it wouldn't be too much of an upset in my opinion.

They are comparing it to the App St.-Michigan game... :rofl:
UW is no where near the program that Michigan is, although that year Michigan wasn't much better than UW is this coming year, like kalm said. Michigan was HIGHLY overranked that year, making it an epic upset. This game will not be the same.
For the strength of the Herd is the Bison and the strength of the Bison is the HERD
GO BISON!
LastMinuteman
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UMass

Post by LastMinuteman »

It would get as much coverage as Minnesota losing to a Dakota school.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Since when is the #1 team in the country beating the #5 team in the country an upset?

:lol:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Thundering Herd wrote:If EWU were to win, it wouldn't be too much of an upset in my opinion.

They are comparing it to the App St.-Michigan game... :rofl:
UW is no where near the program that Michigan is, although that year Michigan wasn't much better than UW is this coming year, like kalm said. Michigan was HIGHLY overranked that year, making it an epic upset. This game will not be the same.
That's pretty much what I was trying to say. Thanks TH.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

The big question is who gets Fette? He is truly the 12th man and could be a huge detriment to the Huskies if he goes with EWU again.

Ps. Oh yea, I almost forgot. STFU TTBF, you are an embarrassment to NDSU.
Man thats easy, and it sure is fun!
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
Big McLargehuge
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Big McLargehuge »

UW still has a football team?

I rather expect EWU to, at the very least, give UW a run for their money.
Pittsburgh Penguins|Pittsburgh Steelers|Pittsburgh Pirates
William Fette
I am a fan of: cowbell
A.K.A.: impartial

Post by William Fette »

JBB wrote:The big question is who gets Fette? He is truly the 12th man and could be a huge detriment to the Huskies if he goes with EWU again.
I don't know as the Pac-10 typically doesn't release it's crew assignments until May. But I hope I get to work this one. I have a sister in Redmond who likes to take me and the crew down to the Pike Place Market and to cocktails and satay at Wild Ginger when we're in town.

Incidentally, I can't remember if replay is used in inter-division games. If it not, it certainly needs to be. We officials want every tool neccessary to insure the correct call. Bad calls can not only influence the outcome of a single game, they can spring board one team to a national championship while relegating an equally deserving school to the ranks of also - ran. :thumb:
Upon further review
Skoal

Post by Skoal »

kalm wrote:
uofmman1122 wrote:No offense to Washington, but they aren't Michigan.

Historically they're not, but the Michigan team that lost to App wasn't much better than what the Huskies will field this year. UW has a national championship and while down for the past few years is still an elite program.
:rofl:

57-76 the past 10 years.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Skoal wrote:
kalm wrote:
:rofl:

57-76 the past 10 years.
OK, well recently they're not either. But at some point in their history they were? :mrgreen:
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

BlackFalkin wrote: :lol: :clap: Could this be ASU-Michigan all over again???
No....because UW sucks and is rebuilding while Michigan was Top5 (overrated I know, but still a top 10-15 program who defeated Florida), had two Heisman candidates (Hart & Henne), the number one pick in the next year NFL draft (Long) and an NFL-caliber receiver (Manningham). EWU beating UW would be akin to AppSt beating Wake Forest...a big win, but not uncommon...not a knock on EWU, but just....stop....
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
Thundering Herd
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: Northside Bison

Post by Thundering Herd »

If EWU were to win, I would compare it more towards NDSU beating Minnesota a few years ago. A really good FCS team beating a poor, struggling FBS school. Still impressive, but nothing compared to what App St. did.
For the strength of the Herd is the Bison and the strength of the Bison is the HERD
GO BISON!
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

Thundering Herd wrote:If EWU were to win, I would compare it more towards NDSU beating Minnesota a few years ago. A really good FCS team beating a poor, struggling FBS school. Still impressive, but nothing compared to what App St. did.
Not really. Minnesota is nowhere in the realm of Washington. They've had some hard times in recent years, but they do have a pretty good football tradition. They've won a NC as recently as the 90's and beat Nebraska in their bowl game this year. They're definitely a program on the rise. Minnesota, not so much.

That said, no, EWU beating UW would not quite be along the lines of an App State/Michigan upset.
bojeta
I am a fan of: Cal Poly
A.K.A.: Mustangs

Post by bojeta »

EWURanger wrote:
Thundering Herd wrote:If EWU were to win, I would compare it more towards NDSU beating Minnesota a few years ago. A really good FCS team beating a poor, struggling FBS school. Still impressive, but nothing compared to what App St. did.
Not really. Minnesota is nowhere in the realm of Washington. They've had some hard times in recent years, but they do have a pretty good football tradition. They've won a NC as recently as the 90's and beat Nebraska in their bowl game this year. They're definitely a program on the rise. Minnesota, not so much.

That said, no, EWU beating UW would not quite be along the lines of an App State/Michigan upset.

I think you nailed it! Exactly how I would have put it. UW is definitely not going to be a weak FBS team. Won't be a challenger for the PAC 12 and definitely not a national title, but they will be better than middle of the road at the FBS level for sure.