Football Championship Subdivision discussions
travelinman67
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Portland State Vikings
A.K.A.: Modern Man

Re: Weber vs Cal-Poly SLO

Post by travelinman67 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: I never said Montana had the best offense in the Big Sky, I just said they were more physical. Also, Montana has a history of out-physicalling Cal Poly. I'm not sure Weber can do the same.

Trevyn Smith is the best back in the Big Sky, but Chase Reynolds has the highest yards per carry. Reynolds is also averaging 116 ypg over the last 7 games (& 144 ypg over the last 5). That's because of the Griz O-Line, which has been able to impose their power running will on opponents when necessary. The last 7 games, the O-Line has dominated the line of scrimmage on running plays & created some big time-of-possession advantages, which has given the defense an easy road. Weber needs to do the same to have a chance. If Trevyn Smith doesn't get at least 25 quality carries, the Wildcats will almost certainly lose. You're not going to beat the Mustangs throwing all over the place; they'll sack you do death like they do everyone else.
...what he said. :agree:

Despite some reservations I have with the Griz...their pulling line on B gap and off tackle runs is very impressive. Cleanest I've seen in FCS in a while...speed, execution, play after play...
"That is how government works - we tell you what you can do today."
- EPA Kommissar Gina McCarthy
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

travelinman67 wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote: I never said Montana had the best offense in the Big Sky, I just said they were more physical. Also, Montana has a history of out-physicalling Cal Poly. I'm not sure Weber can do the same.

Trevyn Smith is the best back in the Big Sky, but Chase Reynolds has the highest yards per carry. Reynolds is also averaging 116 ypg over the last 7 games (& 144 ypg over the last 5). That's because of the Griz O-Line, which has been able to impose their power running will on opponents when necessary. The last 7 games, the O-Line has dominated the line of scrimmage on running plays & created some big time-of-possession advantages, which has given the defense an easy road. Weber needs to do the same to have a chance. If Trevyn Smith doesn't get at least 25 quality carries, the Wildcats will almost certainly lose. You're not going to beat the Mustangs throwing all over the place; they'll sack you do death like they do everyone else.
...what he said. :agree:

Despite some reservations I have with the Griz...their pulling line on B gap and off tackle runs is very impressive. Cleanest I've seen in FCS in a while...speed, execution, play after play...
Ah, what the fcuk do you know, Denunzio. You're just a blathering conk fcuk who isn't allowed to have an opinion about football. Go back and lurk on the poli lounge. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
travelinman67
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Portland State Vikings
A.K.A.: Modern Man

Post by travelinman67 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
travelinman67 wrote: ...what he said. :agree:

Ah, what the fcuk do you know, Denunzio. You're just a blathering conk fcuk who isn't allowed to have an opinion about football. Go back and lurk on the poli lounge. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So, I'm a lurking leaker?
"That is how government works - we tell you what you can do today."
- EPA Kommissar Gina McCarthy
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

Okay guys dont turn this into a smack talking forum or anything, keep it on topic! Now i agree that both are offensive juggernauts and that it will come down to which D can step up. I think Cal Poly has the advantage for these following reasons:
-They get to play their first playoff game @ home which is a huge step in the program so they will be pumped for that.
-I believe the triple option is the best offense out there because it is so hard to stop and unlike most option offenses they have a passing attack that should be feared as well. Weber will have their work cut out for them
-I do agree with the statement that Weber peaked early in the season and have progressivly begun playing sloppier, however maybe the loss to Eastern will be a wake up call and get them going again.
-I do believe it will be a shootout because of Cal Polys suspect defense but if Cameron Higgins plays like he did againts EWU then Cal Poly will dominate this game.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

SUUTbird wrote:Okay guys dont turn this into a smack talking forum or anything, keep it on topic! Now i agree that both are offensive juggernauts and that it will come down to which D can step up. I think Cal Poly has the advantage for these following reasons:
-They get to play their first playoff game @ home which is a huge step in the program so they will be pumped for that.
-I believe the triple option is the best offense out there because it is so hard to stop and unlike most option offenses they have a passing attack that should be feared as well. Weber will have their work cut out for them
-I do agree with the statement that Weber peaked early in the season and have progressivly begun playing sloppier, however maybe the loss to Eastern will be a wake up call and get them going again.
-I do believe it will be a shootout because of Cal Polys suspect defense but if Cameron Higgins plays like he did againts EWU then Cal Poly will dominate this game.
Since I haven't had an opportunity to see either team in action (damn West Coast Bias), I count on observations like this to make my judgements...

Everything I've read IMHO points to a Cal Poly win in this match...what impresses me the most is, they seem to be peaking at the right time, while Weber appears to have peaked...and is slipping...

Maybe the EWU loss will wake them up...maybe its too late...

And SUU, those two love each other...It's not smack, but brotherly love...you know, the kind an older, wiser brother administers to his younger brothers...

Now, I ain't sayin' which is which... :roll:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Col Hogan wrote:
SUUTbird wrote:Okay guys dont turn this into a smack talking forum or anything, keep it on topic! Now i agree that both are offensive juggernauts and that it will come down to which D can step up. I think Cal Poly has the advantage for these following reasons:
Since I haven't had an opportunity to see either team in action (damn West Coast Bias), I count on observations like this to make my judgements...

Everything I've read IMHO points to a Cal Poly win in this match...what impresses me the most is, they seem to be peaking at the right time, while Weber appears to have peaked...and is slipping...

Maybe the EWU loss will wake them up...maybe its too late...

And SUU, those two love each other...It's not smack, but brotherly love...you know, the kind an older, wiser brother administers to his younger brothers...

Now, I ain't sayin' which is which... :roll:
Why you son of a ...... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Weber peaked 6 weeks ago?

how can you say that? other than the E.wash setback, Weber State has dominated everyone in the conf.
They won at NAU 42 to 14,Weber held the at the time #1 offense to 7 offensive points, Weber scored 31 points on Portland State, before Portland scored their first touchdown at the end of the 3rd qrt. Although Weber only won by 7, Weber outgained UNC 571 yards to 142, but the game was close due to Turnovers. Weber outscored Montana State 21 to 3 in the second half to win 35 to 12. And Weber scored 30 more points than Montana on Idaho State. And Weber played at Idaho State.

And all this talk about chase reynolds not starting till the 3rd game is nothing. in his FRESHMAN year Trevyn Smith didnt start till the 4th game of the season, and still had the most rushing yards than anyone in the Big Sky. He is now the Big Sky leading rusher for the 3rd season in a row. And Reynolds at 5.8 YPC isnt much better than Smith's 5.6 YPC

Everyone is saying Weber has to stop Cal Poly, but nobody (minus E.wash in the first half Weber outscored EWU 19 to 7 in the second half, credit EWU.) has been able to stop Weber's offense, Smith was even able to reach 100 yards on the University of Utah, and Hawaii. This game is going to be a good one.

Weber has been getting better and better
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

AZGrizFan wrote:
b) Weber peaked against Montana. They've gotten progressively less in-sync since.

I'd MUCH rather Weber find a way to beat Cal Poly than to have to face Cal Poly again.
i dont like this guy very much HOWEVER hes right. Weber has been going slightly down hill since the montana game, THEN just to make it real instead of a theory, EWU snuck up on em.

EWU didnt beat Weber, Weber beat Weber. and THAT proves my point.

Weber should lose to Cal poly.
Montana would beat Weber(2nd meeting)
Cal poly would beat Montana(2nd meeting)

Can anyone possibly disagree with that!?! :D
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

BlackFalkin wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
b) Weber peaked against Montana. They've gotten progressively less in-sync since.

I'd MUCH rather Weber find a way to beat Cal Poly than to have to face Cal Poly again.
i dont like this guy very much HOWEVER hes right. Weber has been going slightly down hill since the montana game, THEN just to make it real instead of a theory, EWU snuck up on em.

EWU didnt beat Weber, Weber beat Weber. and THAT proves my point.

Weber should lose to Cal poly.
Montana would beat Weber(2nd meeting)
Cal poly would beat Montana(2nd meeting)

Can anyone possibly disagree with that!?! :D
Nope, I agree...In fact, that's exactly what I predicted in another thread...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
weberwildcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: WEEber State
A.K.A.: WeberHoops.com

Post by weberwildcat »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:How can you say Montana's offense is more physical than Weber State's?

If I remember right, back on Oct 4th, Montana's "physical" offense allowed Weber State to sack Bergquist 7 times. :o

Montana didnt get to Higgins ALL DAY :roll:

And a Montana defense that allowed only 80 yards rushing in the games before their game vs Weber, let Trevyn Smith run for 160 yards on them.

Trevyn Smith averages 150 yards a game, and has a total of 1344 rushing yards.

Montana's Chase Reynolds only has 995 yards total. :roll:

Weber's offensive line allowes about 1 sack a game. Why do you think Higgins only needs 292 yards to reach 4000 yards on the season?

Bergquist has 2457 yards. :roll:

Weber State has the best Offense in the Big Sky for a reason. 8-)
a) Chase Reynolds wasn't the starter until the third game.
c) Measuring a teams success by yards is dangerous.

Weber peaked 6 weeks ago. Montana is peaking as we speak. I'd MUCH rather Weber find a way to beat Cal Poly than to have to face Cal Poly again.

What about beating MSU 35-12, that was after UM game, NAU - 42-14, that as well after.

Cal Poly lost to Montana who lost to Weber who...beat Cal Poly!

'Cats 35, 'Staings 31

Weber wont be intimidated by the crowd...WSU has played infront of small crowds all year.
TunaCanBaker
I am a fan of: Western State
A.K.A.: Turdfurgeson

Post by TunaCanBaker »

Weber peaked...Montana peaked... What does it all mean??? I don't quite understand how you can say that UM is peaking when they barely got past a lousy ISU team at home? That doesn't seem like a team peaking to me. I will give UM some Kudos though; they beat the tar out of the bobcats. Yes Weber lost to the eagles... but in no way did Eastern beat Weber. Weber lost that game. Stupid mistakes doomed the Wildcats of Weber State. Four TO's in the red zone? Thats 28, well how the special teams were playing 24 points, and you'd have to negate at least one EWU touchdown. Weber wins that one going away. Just proves that you've got to be ready to play every week from the opening kick. I don't see Weber State making that mistake twice.

With that being said, I'd love to see a Weber State/ Montana rematch. It really sucks that Weber, Cal Poly, and Montana all have to play each other in the opening two rounds. That is a load of CRAP, IMO!
TunaCanBaker
I am a fan of: Western State
A.K.A.: Turdfurgeson

Post by TunaCanBaker »

:shock:
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

Listen man, Weber had control of the Big Sky and the playoffs on lock. Ewu made them cough up a BIG slice of the title and now they arent even seeded. Weber gave Montana a chance and now they are gonna pay for it. Weber will lose to cal poly and learn.. "NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED"
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BlackFalkin wrote:Listen man, Weber had control of the Big Sky and the playoffs on lock. Ewu made them cough up a BIG slice of the title and now they arent even seeded. Weber gave Montana a chance and now they are gonna pay for it. Weber will lose to cal poly and learn.. "NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED"

Jesus. I can't believe I'm going to say this and it takes everything I've got to even type it....but.....

I agree with BlackFalkin. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
weberwildcat
Level2
Level2

Post by weberwildcat »

I think Cal Poly peaked too. I think all the FCS peaked. should be interesting to see who can win each game now that everyone has peaked and will not be peaking again til next year regardng peaking, lots of peaks, lots of valleys this week because of all the previous peaks.

peak
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

weberwildcat wrote:I think Cal Poly peaked too. I think all the FCS peaked. should be interesting to see who can win each game now that everyone has peaked and will not be peaking again til next year regardng peaking, lots of peaks, lots of valleys this week because of all the previous peaks.

peak
Go peak yourself. :D
FlyingAnchor
I am a fan of: Cal Poly
A.K.A.: None

Post by FlyingAnchor »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:Weber needs to look at the Montana/CP tape to see how to beat the Mustangs: power run right at them & keep the Mustang offense off the field. Weber has Trevyn Smith, but I'm not sure they have the physicality on offense that the Griz have, so I think the Mustangs will win.
I brought this up on the Camp Randall Board to the Badger fans going into last weeks matchup against WI. Montana appeared to be using pure zone blocking and putting their big RB right at the Poly D. I think that is the key to defeating Poly's defensive scheme, speed, and large splits. Just use your big guys to man up and block whoever is in front and let the RB find some space to run. It was the only time Poly couldn't defend the run this year. Even WI struggled to run against Poly for most of the game, but that tape of Montana running against Poly was very telling.

I don't like making bold predictions, but Poly is hitting "full stride" (no peaking :lol: ) at the right time and getting a home game as well, coming off that absolutely heartbreaking and inconceivable loss at Camp Randall the Mustangs will be out for blood.

Poly by 21...provided our kicker makes his PATs! :oops:
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Even if Weber had beaten EWU, the seed would still have gone to Montana, the FCS (like the BCS) has its favorites, the only reason the FCS is better, is because they have a tournament, but now even that is corrupted by greed.
weberwildcat
Level2
Level2

Post by weberwildcat »

I just hope WSU and Cal Poly don't peak before half time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Here's my assessment of the matchups & my pick for the game:

• Quarterbacks -- Weber St.

Running Backs - Cal Poly

Receivers/TEs - Weber St.

Offensive Line - Cal Poly

Defensive Line - Cal Poly

Linebackers --- Cal Poly

Secondary ---- Weber St.

Kicking ------ Weber St.

Punting ------ Cal Poly

Return Teams - Weber St.

Kickoffs ------ Weber St.

• Weber St. 35-41 Cal Poly
FlyingAnchor

Post by FlyingAnchor »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:Here's my assessment of the matchups & my pick for the game:

• Quarterbacks -- Weber St.

Running Backs - Cal Poly

Receivers/TEs - Weber St.

Offensive Line - Cal Poly

Defensive Line - Cal Poly

Linebackers --- Cal Poly

Secondary ---- Weber St.

Kicking ------ Weber St.

Punting ------ Cal Poly

Return Teams - Weber St.

Kickoffs ------ Weber St.

• Weber St. 35-41 Cal Poly
I disagree on the QBs and the WRs.

The quarterbacks would be an even split. You have to consider that these are very different QBs that are both very prolific. Dally is at least as accurate as passer and is without question more efficient. Dally does not throw the ball as much due to the triple option so that must be considered. When he does he is very dangerous, has a quick release and puts a nice touch on the ball.

Dally is #1 in passing efficiency with Higgins #3. More telling is that Higgins has 12 INTs to Dally's 1...and Dally has still thrown for 21 TDs to Higgins 34; with Higgins having passed for twice the yardage Dally has.

I believe the WRs advantage belongs to Poly. Barden is the best WR in the FCS right now and the best to come along in a while. But Poly also has Tolver who will burn you bad if you get caught trying to take Barden out of the game like what happened to South Dakota State. Don't forget that the Poly wing backs are very capable receivers also and are very dangerous in that role, especially Jono Grayson.

The running back dual may actually be equal in my mind. Poly's players work as a unit and are much better as a unit, but as for individual backs we do not have a player like Smith. I would also put Poly's FB, Jon Hall up against Weber's any day. He was a top 5 FB to start the season and has played as such.

This one will come down to execution and disciplined football. Whoever does that best will win...talent will not be able to overcome turnovers and costly penalties in this game.
These teams will take those and make TDs out of them in this game.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

FlyingAnchor wrote:

The quarterbacks would be an even split. You have to consider that these are very different QBs that are both very prolific. Dally is at least as accurate as passer and is without question more efficient. Dally does not throw the ball as much due to the triple option so that must be considered. When he does he is very dangerous, has a quick release and puts a nice touch on the ball.
Higgins is definitely more accurate than Dally. I've watched both so I can say that with some confidence. The triple option generally leads to inflated efficiency numbers because of receivers getting wide open. Dally doesn't have to thread the ball in tight places very often, Higgins does. Dally does obviously have much better rushing numbers (though not as good as Edwards, Landers, or Greg Sullivan of Colgate), but Higgins still averages about 60-70 more yards of total offense per game.

I believe the WRs advantage belongs to Poly. Barden is the best WR in the FCS right now and the best to come along in a while. But Poly also has Tolver who will burn you bad if you get caught trying to take Barden out of the game like what happened to South Dakota State. Don't forget that the Poly wing backs are very capable receivers also and are very dangerous in that role, especially Jono Grayson.
CP has Barden, & Tolver's good, but Weber has Toone (almost as good of stats as Barden), Eteuati, Phillips, and the TE Nakamura. Weber wins on numbers. Toone isn't as good as Barden, but the rest crush Tolver and anyone behind him.

I counted the HBs/WBs as running backs, not WRs. Receiving is included in my RB assessment.
The running back dual may actually be equal in my mind. Poly's players work as a unit and are much better as a unit, but as for individual backs we do not have a player like Smith. I would also put Poly's FB, Jon Hall up against Weber's any day. He was a top 5 FB to start the season and has played as such.
Just like Weber on receivers, Cal Poly wins this matchup on numbers. Smith has a staggering 2024 total yards, but the Wildcats have really no-one else getting the ball in the backfield. Poly has Mole, Noble, & Yocum, which is just enough to edge out Weber's Smith and the blocking FB Mailei.
FlyingAnchor

Post by FlyingAnchor »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
FlyingAnchor wrote:

Higgins is definitely more accurate than Dally. I've watched both so I can say that with some confidence. The triple option generally leads to inflated efficiency numbers because of receivers getting wide open. Dally doesn't have to thread the ball in tight places very often, Higgins does. Dally does obviously have much better rushing numbers (though not as good as Edwards, Landers, or Greg Sullivan of Colgate), but Higgins still averages about 60-70 more yards of total offense per game.

CP has Barden, & Tolver's good, but Weber has Toone (almost as good of stats as Barden), Eteuati, Phillips, and the TE Nakamura. Weber wins on numbers. Toone isn't as good as Barden, but the rest crush Tolver and anyone behind him.

I counted the HBs/WBs as running backs, not WRs. Receiving is included in my RB assessment.
Just like Weber on receivers, Cal Poly wins this matchup on numbers. Smith has a staggering 2024 total yards, but the Wildcats have really no-one else getting the ball in the backfield. Poly has Mole, Noble, & Yocum, which is just enough to edge out Weber's Smith and the blocking FB Mailei.

I respect your post but still disagree with you on the QB and WRs. I don't think you've watched Dally all that much. You may just be gathering that from watching him toss the ball up to Barden. If you watched him during the South Dakota State game and Wisconsin game then you saw him squeezing the ball in to Tolver, Barden, and Grayson very well. In those games the defenses were effective at slowing Barden down in the deep pass. Even the Big Ten commentators were talking about Dally's release, accuracy, and touch on the ball. Higgins is a pure passer so you've got more to look at. But my point is that these are two VERY talented QBs with different strengths. If you want to look at it from a pure passer point of view then yeah...Dally is second fiddle...but the position is QB not passer.

I never thought I'd hear someone say the triple option inflates our passing numbers. Poly sets up the pass with the run...this is nothing new in football. I completely disagree with that statement. Does Weber's offense inflate Higgins' numbers? Teams have to defend both the run and pass in football. I would not weight Dally's numbers any less just because Poly is so effective at running the ball.

If you are talking numbers then Weber WRs have the advantage but that is a bit silly on reasoning in my opinion. When you talk about the skill positions Barden is the best player on the field. Toone is better than Tolver, but Toone is a #1 WR so his numbers are better. Tolver is a #2 WR who takes the passes when people try to shutdown Barden. Tolver is VERY good but is highly overshadowed by Barden...the South Dakota State game showed what he can do when Barden is being covered.

Anyway...this is all talk...we shall see this afternoon! Good luck to all and here's to a clean and error free game on both sides! :beer2:
FlyingAnchor

Post by FlyingAnchor »

CP 14
WSU 14

Every bit as promised...big pass plays by WSu
Big running by Poly
mtgrizfankb
Level1
Level1