AppMan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: App State

ASU continues study of possible move to FBS

Post by AppMan »

By Tommy Bowman / Winston Salem Journal
Published: March 30, 2011

A feasibility-study committee is continuing to explore how well Appalachian State, a "big fish" in the Football Championship Subdivision, could swim in Football Bowl Subdivision waters.

The committee met again last Friday, and the focus remains largely on financing a possible move. "We're getting closer to putting the costs and the revenue streams together and seeing where we stand," said G.A. Sywassink, the co-chairman of the committee. "We should start in the real decision-making process probably the next meeting, which is in mid-April.

"We've gathered the information we need. Basically, we're getting there, and we're still having our focus groups — we're going to add a couple of additional focus groups of students and faculty to give everybody a chance to take part — so we're getting close to where we can start putting all the pieces together and see what a decision looks like."

ASU, which competes in Division I in all sports as a member of the Southern Conference, has been part of the FCS (formerly Division I-AA) since 1981. FCS programs can offer as many as 63 scholarships, compared to 85 in the FBS.

A moratorium on moving from the FCS to the FBS has been in place since 2007 but will be lifted in August.

A move to the FBS would cost more but also would generate more revenue. ASU has an athletics budget of about $14 million and operates in the black. The key is a possible gap between increased costs to play in the FBS and increased revenue.

"We (athletics) don't get state funds, we have to figure out how we can pay for it, which we're getting close to, without putting additional burdens on the students," Sywassink said. "We'll probably show an increase in revenue from student fees, but that would primarily be from an increase in the number of students enrolled in the school over the years to come . . .  We are looking only at an increase in student-fee revenue based only on any increase in enrollment, the number of students paying."

A challenge for the committee is to accurately estimate the expected costs and the potential revenue of a move, with variables involved including an unanswered question of the conference where ASU might fit.

"We're looking at years to come," Sywassink said. "And there are a lot of benefits otherwise as well that you have to look at and try to quantify. You look at the future and make projections.

"Hopefully, we're making them conservatively and realistically. Our goal is not to put any projections out there that are pie in the sky just to make a decision. They've got to be real and we have to feel very confident that they're realistic.

"We can't yet say we're there, but we're getting pretty close."

Sywassink said the committee is looking at financial aspects "in line with the fact that we will not put it on the backs of the students and we will not do anything that would negatively impact the academic side of things."

A move would require a bigger operating budget, and additional costs would include the funding of more scholarships, increased staffing and salary upgrades in line with whatever conference ASU might join and a potential increase in travel costs, depending on the conference.

Increased revenue from a move to an FBS conference would come from more NCAA tournament revenue for basketball as part of a larger conference, as well as bowl-game and television-revenue shares, bigger paychecks for road games against FBS opponents and an additional (12th) regular-season football game.

Projections will include an increase in booster contributions to fund more scholarships, and probable higher ticket costs for football games, although Sywassink said, "We want to keep ticket prices in line."

The committee is working to determine what the gap between costs and revenue might be.

"There can't be a gap when it's done," Sywassink. "We've got to figure out how we can pay for it, and we're making some good progress on that.

"It all comes down to it's got to be financially feasible without state money, it can't be on the backs of the students and it has to enhance the academic side of the equation."

The committee's focus will shift more to conference possibilities in coming days. Sywassink said that exploratory work has been done and that several conference-affiliation scenarios are being discussed.

"Our committee will do further investigation and work and maybe even some meetings on that over the next couple of months, the sooner the better," he said. "We're trying to schedule those now.

"We're still looking at trying to determine if there's an interest (from an FBS conference). We have quite a bit to do over the next eight weeks."

The committee has targeted May for a recommendation to be made to Chancellor Ken Peacock, who will then make his recommendation to ASU's board of trustees, probably in June.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: ASU continues study of possible move to FBS

Post by 89Hen »

I'm sure it's been talked about in other AppSt threads, but I'm too lazy to look. What do you honestly think App could draw for I-A games in Boone? 30k? 40k? 50k?
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Hard to say Hen - there will be around 23K seats this season including 1,500 temporary end zone seats on the field house side. Right now, I'd say around 34K, but it would take additional investment in seating to get to 40k+. The South end zone bank is used for seating weather permitting and SRO. In my opinion, the quickest way to increase capacity would be to make the decision to move the track and put in permanent seating on the field house end to make it a horseshoe. Later they could think of maybe dropping the field level, but with new turf going in this year I can't see them making that type investment for several years.
henfan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by henfan »

AppMan wrote:"We're still looking at trying to determine if there's an interest (from an FBS conference). We have quite a bit to do over the next eight weeks."
Let's be honest, this is the only 'studying' that really needs to be done. The rest is just smoke & mirrors so that Peacock can prove that the school has exceeded its due diligence. Really, how many feasibility studies does the ASU community need to tell them what they already know?

If ASU has positive interest from a conference like CUSA, it makes sense for them to invest full bore in FB reclassification. It's a complete waste of institutional resources otherwise.

(FTR, I think CUSA would be completely off its nut not to pursue ASU.)
ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Appalachian State

Post by ASUMountaineer »

henfan wrote:
AppMan wrote:"We're still looking at trying to determine if there's an interest (from an FBS conference). We have quite a bit to do over the next eight weeks."
Let's be honest, this is the only 'studying' that really needs to be done. The rest is just smoke & mirrors so that Peacock can prove that the school has exceeded its due diligence. Really, how many feasibility studies does the ASU community need to tell them what they already know?

If ASU has positive interest from a conference like CUSA, it makes sense for them to invest full bore in FB reclassification. It's a complete waste of institutional resources otherwise.

I hope you're right. From all the rumors and comments swirling down here...it seems as if it's CUSA or bust. We'll see what happens.
Appalachian State Mountaineers:

National Champions: 2005, 2006, and 2007
Southern Conference Champions: 1986, 1987, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! WE'RE GONNA SHOUT IT! NOTHING'S HOTTER THAN A-S-U!
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

89Hen wrote:I'm sure it's been talked about in other AppSt threads, but I'm too lazy to look. What do you honestly think App could draw for I-A games in Boone? 30k? 40k? 50k?
30k, assuming we stay at same level of on-field performance (wins/ losses)...about the same as we draw now. We would have less draw at road games, IMO, but that's subject to who we play....(@ ECU/Marshall would have excellent App support; @ UTEP/Memphis = minimal support). But I don't see a substantial increase in home game attendance with a move to FBS. Certainly, we'll lose more games with "higher" level of competition on a weekly basis. And App's got a harcore base of about 15k, so they can expect 15-20k win lose or draw at football. Keep winnig, we'll be at 30-35k, maybe.
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Appaholic wrote:
89Hen wrote:I'm sure it's been talked about in other AppSt threads, but I'm too lazy to look. What do you honestly think App could draw for I-A games in Boone? 30k? 40k? 50k?
30k, assuming we stay at same level of on-field performance (wins/ losses)...about the same as we draw now. We would have less draw at road games, IMO, but that's subject to who we play....(@ ECU/Marshall would have excellent App support; @ UTEP/Memphis = minimal support). But I don't see a substantial increase in home game attendance with a move to FBS. Certainly, we'll lose more games with "higher" level of competition on a weekly basis. And App's got a harcore base of about 15k, so they can expect 15-20k win lose or draw at football. Keep winnig, we'll be at 30-35k, maybe.
Seems realistic. I've never been to Boone, and I had always assumed you are pretty remote and to draw larger numbers would require people coming from a distance. I would expect student attendance to increase with bigger name schools coming in, but it seems you already have pretty good student attendance.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

30k is too low. 50k is probably too high. Somewhere in the middle is probably right... around 40k.

Our attendance has continued to increase greatly... even after our run of national championships ended and long after Michigan. Our regular season attendance increased by 2 or 3 thousand from 2009 to 2010. That's with no additional seating being added. We're adding student endzone seating this year... so I expect our attendance to increase again.

35k is already within grasp. I think 40k would be in grasp.... depending on how our transition goes. If we go to the Sun Belt... I think we would be able to compete very quickly. If we go to CUSA... I think there will be growing pains, but I think our fanbase would be able to stomach some lean years with the sharp jump in competition. I don't think increasing beyond 40k would be possible as Boone currently is. Widening 321 to Lenoir helps... but, traffic and parking is already a bitch on gameday... and they'll have to work out those problems if they want to expand much more.

Appaholic can say that our fans won't care about UTEP/Memphis. But, how much do you think our fans really care about Savannah State, North Carolina A&T, Samford? That's half our home slate right there... and I'd easily take UTEP or Memphis over any of those three... The feasibility committee will have far more understanding of how our fanbase would react to the move than any of us posting here.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AppMan
Level1
Level1

Post by AppMan »

henfan wrote:

I disagree. Any corporation worth its salt does periodic reviews to see where it stands in the marketplace, gathers the pulse of its customers and looks for new avenues of growth. ASU can't possibly begin to know where it stands in regards to a move without a complete understanding of what it takes to make it. The last study, conducted over ten years ago, identified deficiencies and recommendations to correct them. All those goals have been met and exceeded by a great degree. I have been a staunch supporter of a move to 1-A ever since ASU was reclassified 1-AA in 1982. I am not a pie in the sky individual and would prefer to see a regional FBS conference emerge in the mid Atlantic states. Yea, I know there would be no big time bowl games, but (for me) being in a league with similar schools with the ability to play regional rivalry games against ECU, Marshall, Wake and others would more than make up for it.
Mike Johnson
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Utah/UVU/WSU/SUU/DSC
A.K.A.: Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson »

Unless C-USA loses teams, I don't see them interesting in adding new teams. The Sun Belt would take you, but I doubt that that is what you want.
Image Image
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

Skjellyfetti wrote:30k is too low. 50k is probably too high. Somewhere in the middle is probably right... around 40k.

Our attendance has continued to increase greatly... even after our run of national championships ended and long after Michigan. Our regular season attendance increased by 2 or 3 thousand from 2009 to 2010. That's with no additional seating being added. We're adding student endzone seating this year... so I expect our attendance to increase again.

35k is already within grasp. I think 40k would be in grasp.... depending on how our transition goes. If we go to the Sun Belt... I think we would be able to compete very quickly. If we go to CUSA... I think there will be growing pains, but I think our fanbase would be able to stomach some lean years with the sharp jump in competition. I don't think increasing beyond 40k would be possible as Boone currently is. Widening 321 to Lenoir helps... but, traffic and parking is already a bitch on gameday... and they'll have to work out those problems if they want to expand much more.

Appaholic can say that our fans won't care about UTEP/Memphis. But, how much do you think our fans really care about Savannah State, North Carolina A&T, Samford? That's half our home slate right there... and I'd easily take UTEP or Memphis over any of those three... The feasibility committee will have far more understanding of how our fanbase would react to the move than any of us posting here.
Hope you're right Skelly, but I don't see how a jump is going to bring in an extra 10k just because we are playing for a meaningless bowl unless the other team's fanbase travel really well...but my opinion & $.50 might buy a cup of coffee. With regard to the UTEP/Memphis comment, I was referring to our fanbase traveling for an away game to their locale vs traveling to Furman/GaSouth. I agree that we'll have the same support for a UTEP home game as we have for Savannah ST.

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

Mike Johnson wrote:Unless C-USA loses teams, I don't see them interesting in adding new teams. The Sun Belt would take you, but I doubt that that is what you want.
A move to the Sunbelt would be a step backward IMO....you've just made yourselves even more irrelevant on the national scene....Sunbelt sucks...

ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4

Post by ASUMountaineer »

Mike Johnson wrote:Unless C-USA loses teams, I don't see them interesting in adding new teams. The Sun Belt would take you, but I doubt that that is what you want.
Unlike CUSA, the SunBelt has stated they are not interested in expanding--and our AD has all but ruled out the SunBelt. I believe it's CUSA or bust for ASU. CUSA has been looking at ways to offset travel expenses, and ECU's AD has been lobbying CUSA to expand. There have been reports that CUSA may look to add two teams to get to 14 and have a conference schedule that consists mostly of teams in your divisions (helps with travel costs). Whether those reports are true or not, who knows?

There appears to be no option right now for us to go SunBelt at all. Whereas, the only talk around Boone has been CUSA if ASU were to go FBS. Like I said, I think it's CUSA or bust for ASU.

Southern Conference Champions: 1986, 1987, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012

ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4

Post by ASUMountaineer »

Appaholic wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:30k is too low. 50k is probably too high. Somewhere in the middle is probably right... around 40k.

Hope you're right Skelly, but I don't see how a jump is going to bring in an extra 10k just because we are playing for a meaningless bowl unless the other team's fanbase travel really well...but my opinion & $.50 might buy a cup of coffee. With regard to the UTEP/Memphis comment, I was referring to our fanbase traveling for an away game to their locale vs traveling to Furman/GaSouth. I agree that we'll have the same support for a UTEP home game as we have for Savannah ST.
You could be right, though I'm sure for particular games we could bring in 10k more (ECU, Marshall). However, other games we may remain where we're at in attendance. I don't see a huge drop off either way. The only part I really disagree with you Appa is on the "meaningless bowl game" comment. I hear this all the time from pro-FCS folks. I'd be interested to hear what ASU fans pre-1982 thought of bowl games. I'd venture to say they didn't consider bowl games meaningless. Just my opinion, and I doubt adding $.50 wit my opinion would get you a cup of coffee--maybe a pack of gum. :)

Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

ASUMountaineer wrote:
Appaholic wrote:
You could be right, though I'm sure for particular games we could bring in 10k more (ECU, Marshall). However, other games we may remain where we're at in attendance. I don't see a huge drop off either way. The only part I really disagree with you Appa is on the "meaningless bowl game" comment. I hear this all the time from pro-FCS folks. I'd be interested to hear what ASU fans pre-1982 thought of bowl games. I'd venture to say they didn't consider bowl games meaningless. Just my opinion, and I doubt adding $.50 wit my opinion would get you a cup of coffee--maybe a pack of gum. :)
# of bowl games in 1982 = 16
# of bowl games in 2010 = 35

making it to a bowl in 1981-82 meant you had achieved something meaningful through your hardwork...almost like you made the playoffs in 1-AA...making a bowl game now means you passed the mirror test... :coffee:...so I stand by my orginal "meaningless" bowl game statement...

henfan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by henfan »

I'll be interested to see what ASU learns from this study that they did not already know.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Appaholic wrote:making a bowl game now means you passed the mirror test... :coffee:...so I stand by my orginal "meaningless" bowl game statement...
FWIW, EVERY bowl except ONE is "meaningless". It's just to what extent. But even the worst bowl has somewhat of a cool factor in that: you don't know who you play until the season is over, it is for a trophy, it might be in a place you've never been, it might be against a school you've never played, it will be on national TV, you will be included in everyone's bowl pool, etc... Would you rather be a fan of Jacksonville, who really has no chance at any kind of post season, or would you rather have a shot at the Scrubbin Bubble Toilet Bowl?
ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4

Post by ASUMountaineer »

Appaholic wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:
# of bowl games in 1982 = 16
# of bowl games in 2010 = 35

making it to a bowl in 1981-82 meant you had achieved something meaningful through your hardwork...almost like you made the playoffs in 1-AA...making a bowl game now means you passed the mirror test... :coffee:...so I stand by my orginal "meaningless" bowl game statement...
We'll have to agree to disagree. It wasn't clear in your original post that the value/ meaning of a bowl game is based on how many bowls there are. Your original argument seemed to suggest that attendance would not increase based on the ability to go to a "meaningless bowl" (implying all bowls are meaningless). I don't think being able to go to a bowl would increase attendance, just as apparently being in the playoffs doesn't increase attendance.

Do I think there are too many bowl games? Yes.
Do I think there are too many teams in the FCS playoffs? Yes.

Does that mean the playoff teams don't pass the mirror test? Apparently there's not as much interest in the playoffs as most pro-FCS folks would like people to believe...at least not in the minds of 15,000 ASU fans.

citdog
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: THE Citadel
A.K.A.: Pres.Jefferson Davis

Post by citdog »

If App feels that they want to leave the union under the compact entitled "The By-laws of the Southern Conference" then they have every right to do so. It isn't like Americans have a track record of coercing others to remain parties to contracts against their will.
"Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language"
"Save in defense of my native State I hope to never again draw my sword"
Genl Robert E. Lee
Confederate States of America
ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4

Post by ASUMountaineer »

89Hen wrote:
Appaholic wrote:making a bowl game now means you passed the mirror test... :coffee:...so I stand by my orginal "meaningless" bowl game statement...
FWIW, EVERY bowl except ONE is "meaningless". It's just to what extent. But even the worst bowl has somewhat of a cool factor in that: you don't know who you play until the season is over, it is for a trophy, it might be in a place you've never been, it might be against a school you've never played, it will be on national TV, you will be included in everyone's bowl pool, etc... Would you rather be a fan of Jacksonville, who really has no chance at any kind of post season, or would you rather have a shot at the Scrubbin Bubble Toilet Bowl?
I understand Appa's thoughts...he really values the playoff system, and I get how his support of it prevents him from supporting bowl games. However, it's sad that the playoffs have helped devalue the regular season. Many FCS fans just don't care about the regular season other than for seeding purposes.

I think ASU winning it's sixth-consecutive SoCon title is a great accomplishment, yet many ASU fans considered our season a failure because we didn't win the National Championship. I find that extreme and sad that people couldn't care less about winning the conference. I'd like to see more emphasis placed on the regular season and on beating our peers (conference teams). Otherwise, why have conferences at all? Just start the season in the playoffs and determine a champion.

Yes, in the situation your presented I'd rather have a shot at the Toilet Bowl than be a non-AQ school in the FCS.

ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4

Post by ASUMountaineer »

citdog wrote:If App feels that they want to leave the union under the compact entitled "The By-laws of the Southern Conference" then they have every right to do so. It isn't like Americans have a track record of coercing others to remain parties to contracts against their will.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

ASUMountaineer wrote:
89Hen wrote: FWIW, EVERY bowl except ONE is "meaningless". It's just to what extent. But even the worst bowl has somewhat of a cool factor in that: you don't know who you play until the season is over, it is for a trophy, it might be in a place you've never been, it might be against a school you've never played, it will be on national TV, you will be included in everyone's bowl pool, etc... Would you rather be a fan of Jacksonville, who really has no chance at any kind of post season, or would you rather have a shot at the Scrubbin Bubble Toilet Bowl?
I understand Appa's thoughts...he really values the playoff system, and I get how his support of it prevents him from supporting bowl games. However, it's sad that the playoffs have helped devalue the regular season. Many FCS fans just don't care about the regular season other than for seeding purposes.

I think ASU winning it's sixth-consecutive SoCon title is a great accomplishment, yet many ASU fans considered our season a failure because we didn't win the National Championship. I find that extreme and sad that people couldn't care less about winning the conference. I'd like to see more emphasis placed on the regular season and on beating our peers (conference teams). Otherwise, why have conferences at all? Just start the season in the playoffs and determine a champion.

Yes, in the situation your presented I'd rather have a shot at the Toilet Bowl than be a non-AQ school in the FCS.
It's not so much the playoff system that I value, I just don't get excited at the thought of a bowl game with 69 other teams. Quite frankly, if we go FBS, I hope we don't even make a bowl for financial reasons. We'll split someone else's take and not be on the hook for ticket allotments. What I do value is our historic rivalries. If you want to put App in an FBS conference with Wake Forest, ECU, Marshall, GaSouth, JMU, Delaware & Charlotte, then great, I'm all for that but not because of the bowls. Outside of that, I'd rather us be an FBS indy with the abiltiy to schedule or be scheduled by any FBS school. I'd rather us keep playing our current conference schedule than be obligated to play the likes of troy, Memphis or UTEP due to conference affiliation. But I'm in the minority and I'm fine with that....

Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

Appaholic wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:

It's not so much the playoff system that I value, I just don't get excited at the thought of a bowl game with 69 other teams. Quite frankly, if we go FBS, I hope we don't even make a bowl for financial reasons. We'll split someone else's take and not be on the hook for ticket allotments. What I do value is our historic rivalries. If you want to put App in an FBS conference with Wake Forest, ECU, Marshall, GaSouth, JMU, Delaware & Charlotte, then great, I'm all for that but not because of the bowls. Outside of that, I'd rather us be an FBS indy with the abiltiy to schedule or be scheduled by any FBS school. I'd rather us keep playing our current conference schedule than be obligated to play the likes of troy, Memphis or UTEP due to conference affiliation. But I'm in the minority and I'm fine with that....
What? Akron vs App St. in the Motor City Bowl doesn't get you excited? :lol: Fresno has cornered the market on the Who Gives a Shit Bowl and the Don't Give Fuck Bowl :(
WacoKid

Post by WacoKid »

Appaholic wrote:

10K wouldn't be showing up each Saturday to watch us play a bowl game they'd be showing up to watch us play much better teams that people have actually heard of instead of what we have on our schedule now. I don't know anyone who shows up to the games each week thinking only of the playoffs. I go to enjoy each game individually which is why I have a hard time excepting with the majority of our schedule these days. If we were playing the likes of ECU, Marshall, Memphis, UCF, S Miss, and Houston I gaurantee we could sell 40K tickets each week. If a new conference made up of the best east coast FCS teams along with some current FBS teams were assembled I think we would have at the very least 30K for the FCS teams moving with us and 40 for the established FBS teams if we had the seats.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

But would they show up to watch you guys vs. WKU, Troy, MTSU, FIU, FAU, UNT, USA, ULM, ULL, Arkansas St.?

I think App has good fans who would go watch against anyone but, you guys know better than I.