UMASS goes to the MAC...

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
DJH
Level3
Level3
Posts: 3209
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:17 pm
I am a fan of: The MVC
Location: NORTHERN IOWA

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by DJH »

BigApp wrote:
FargoBison wrote:
Yep, in the FCS there is Colgate who didn't win a title but at least they got a chance to play in the title game. No Colgate's are going to get a chance to win the FBS title.
tell us, how did Jacksonville and Grambling fare in the playoffs this year?

If winning a National Championship is what you're all about, then why does your school field basketball, swimming or softball teams?

Do you really think your Women's golf team is going to win a National championship?
Are you really this dense?
UNI FIGHT

UNH_Alum_In_CT
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:48 am
I am a fan of: New Hampshire

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by UNH_Alum_In_CT »

Col Hogan wrote:
Have you read anything other than the headlines??? Starting in 2012, we will play at Gillette Stadium, home of the N.E Patriots, which is in the heart of Alumni country...

Last year, we drew 30,000 plus to a game at the Razor...which is in eastern Massachusetts, where the vast majority of our alumni are located...not in the western part of the commonwealth where the University is located...

Playing at a pro facility near the alumni base, I predict we'll draw minimum 20 - 22K per game, and if we win, more...and that's with less student support because of the 94 mile one-way trip from the campus...

So, throw out the FCS attendance average, beause we'll do better... :nod:
Excuse me, I attended that game and at least half the crowd was UNH fans. And from everything I heard, UNH was instrumental in getting the game scheduled at Gillette and that UMass had to be talked into it. So, I wouldn't be falling all over myself taking too much credit for the 32,848 in attendance. You should be thanking UNH for showing you that playing at Gillette was feasible! I do agree with you that you should be able to draw good crowds to Gillette going forward and large crowds if you can get the Sled Dogs and Beagles scheduled.

BTW, UMass can say thanks to UNH by continuing the Colonial Clash!! :twocents: :nod:

User avatar
GA St. MBB Fan
Level1
Level1
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:04 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia State
A.K.A.: GSU Mens BB Fan

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by GA St. MBB Fan »

DJH wrote:
BigApp wrote:
how is that any different than FCS? (or any other college sport)
Its different because in FCS you can win your conference, go to the playoffs, and win a championship.

Whereas in FBS, you can win every game on your schedule, and you will not play for any championship.
But get in a bowl game that will likely have better attendance and TV ratings than the FCS championship game.

Just saying.
Image

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18704
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by BDKJMU »

The MAC was dead last in I-A attendance, even below the Sun Belch, at an avg of 15,609. Top 3:
Temple: 20,515 (in an NFL stadium)
Central Michigan: 20,448
Toldeo: 19,333 (included a home game BCS game vs Arizona)

The CAA (not including ODU or GA State): 11,205. Including ODU (19,782 avg, 7 games) and GA State (16,750, 7 games): 12,559

In terms of attendance and play on the field the MAC is only a slight upgrade over the CAA. With 14 MAC teams, one mid week ESPN2 game a week, most MAC teams will avg 2x per season on ESPN2 (I can't imagine ESPN is paying the MAC much if anything to put those games on).

The difference maker is the OOC, as has already been stated is 1-2 away $ games a season vs 1 in the CAA, and after their 4 home MAC games and home I-AA, the remaining home game likely being a BCS only because they have Gillette. Remember, thats only ONE big home game a yr.

Its only a big upgrade for UMass because they have the use of an NFL stadium. As to how big, that remains to be seen.

The other large public school in the MAC with the use of an NFL stadium, Temple:
-20,515 (8-4, home BCS vs UConn)
-17, 379 (9-3 regular season, bowl game)
-15,582 (home BCS vs Uconn)
-28, 859 ("home" BCS vs Penn State)
-15,810 (home BCS vs Clemson)

Here's UMass's attendance #s the last 5 seasons:
-13,005
-10,887
-12,383
-11,709
-11,663

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_ ... e/2010.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (You can go back to previous years by simply changing the year at the end of the link)

UMass gets to play in an NFL stadium, but remeber, the stadium isn't in the same city, but rather a couple hrs drive from campus. Outside of that one big game a yr at Gilette, how many students are going to drive 4? hrs roundtrip to watch UMass play other MAC teams or a home I-AA game? Not many.

My guess is you'll see similar attendance #s for UMass jump from where they are now, avg around 11-13k per game per season, to where they avg per game per season similar to Temple, around 20k per game.
BLM: Burning Looting Marxists

User avatar
catdaddy2402
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:35 pm
I am a fan of: SC FCS Teams

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by catdaddy2402 »

-15,810 (home BCS vs Clemson)
No idea where that came from, Clemson has never played Temple in Philly.

They were supposed to play @ Temple in 2006, but Temple sold the game to Raycom Sports and it was played as a Temple "home" game in Charlotte and the attendance was far better than 15k.

User avatar
saint0917
Level1
Level1
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:18 am
I am a fan of: Umass

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by saint0917 »

93henfan wrote:This sucks for UMass. They're down 25-6 in the series to Delaware with no chance of ever evening things up.
Oh, we didn't tell you, Umass has added Delaware as our cupcake OOC game for the next 20 years, so we'll be 26 and 25. :kisswink:
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 36566
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by 89Hen »

catdaddy2402 wrote:
-15,810 (home BCS vs Clemson)
No idea where that came from, Clemson has never played Temple in Philly.

They were supposed to play @ Temple in 2006, but Temple sold the game to Raycom Sports and it was played as a Temple "home" game in Charlotte and the attendance was far better than 15k.
And I'm not sure Temple has ever played Penn State anywhere other than State College. BDK, where did you get your info?
Image

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18704
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by BDKJMU »

catdaddy2402 wrote:
-15,810 (home BCS vs Clemson)
No idea where that came from, Clemson has never played Temple in Philly.

They were supposed to play @ Temple in 2006, but Temple sold the game to Raycom Sports and it was played as a Temple "home" game in Charlotte and the attendance was far better than 15k.
ESPN incorrectly listed it as a home game.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/tea ... emple-owls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Showed 30,246 tickets sold.

The 15,810 was Temple's home AVERAGE attendance for the season, which I see now didn't include the "home" game vs Clemson in Charlotte.
BLM: Burning Looting Marxists

User avatar
henfan
Level1
Level1
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:10 pm
I am a fan of: Delaware

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by henfan »

saint0917 wrote:Oh, we didn't tell you, Umass has added Delaware as our cupcake OOC game for the next 20 years, so we'll be 26 and 25. :kisswink:
UMass won't ever be able to afford UD, unless you somehow find a way to make it to a major conference. I'd say our record's pretty safe for the next century or so.:nod:

If EADA reports are any indication, UMass' FB revenues aren't going to change a whole lot as members of the MAC.
Image

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18704
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote:
catdaddy2402 wrote: No idea where that came from, Clemson has never played Temple in Philly.

They were supposed to play @ Temple in 2006, but Temple sold the game to Raycom Sports and it was played as a Temple "home" game in Charlotte and the attendance was far better than 15k.
And I'm not sure Temple has ever played Penn State anywhere other than State College. BDK, where did you get your info?
Temple hosted Penn State at the Linc in 2007, 67k sellout, mostly PSU fans
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=273140218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also host Penn State this season at the Linc:
http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-foo ... 10aae.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Temple PSU didn't play 98' to 02'. Current series 03'-11':
03' @ PSU
06' @ PSU
07' @ Temple
08' @ PSU
09' @ PSU
10' @ PSU
11' @ Temple
Last edited by BDKJMU on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLM: Burning Looting Marxists

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 36566
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote:-28, 859 ("home" BCS vs Penn State)
BDKJMU wrote:Temple hosted Penn State at the Linc in 2007, 67k sellout, mostly PSU fans
Still confused.
Image

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18704
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:-28, 859 ("home" BCS vs Penn State)
BDKJMU wrote:Temple hosted Penn State at the Linc in 2007, 67k sellout, mostly PSU fans
Still confused.
In 2007 Temple averaged 28,859 in home attendance at the Linc. One of Temple's home games was a 67k sellout vs Penn State at the Linc, where most of the fans were Penn State fans.

What's so confusing about that?
BLM: Burning Looting Marxists

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 36566
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote:
89Hen wrote:
Still confused.
In 2007 Temple averaged 28,859 in home attendance at the Linc. One of Temple's home games was a 67k sellout vs Penn State at the Linc, where most of the fans were Penn State fans.

What's so confusing about that?
The fact that I have the attention span of a five year old didn't realize you were putting up season averages. ;) :D
Image

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 9326
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
In 2007 Temple averaged 28,859 in home attendance at the Linc. One of Temple's home games was a 67k sellout vs Penn State at the Linc, where most of the fans were Penn State fans.

What's so confusing about that?
The fact that I have the attention span of a five year old didn't realize you were putting up season averages. ;) :D
Don't be so hard on yourself ... you have the attention span of an 8 year old. ;)

User avatar
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6982
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:47 pm
I am a fan of: New Hampshire
A.K.A.: UNHWildCats

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by UNHWildCats »

UMass is getting a good deal from Robert Kraft with rent free usage of the stadium for the foreseeable future.

UMass will play all home games at Gillette in 2012 and 2013 and between 2014-2016 will play atleast 4 home games each year at Gillette.
Image

A unionized public employee, a teabagger, and a CEO are sitting at a table. There is a plate with a dozen cookies in the middle of the table. The CEO takes 11 cookies, turns to the teabagger and says, "Look out for that union guy--he wants a piece of your cookie."

User avatar
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:45 pm
I am a fan of: Appalachian
A.K.A.: Thread Killer

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by BigApp »

DJH wrote:

Are you really this dense?
apparently I am. The post I was referring to was about winning national championships.

You wanna help me out?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18704
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by BDKJMU »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:All will be forgotten when they start booking annual non-conference games with UConn and BC.

All in all, this is good for college football in the northeast.
Not so fast. Most of us on here, including myself, have ASSumed that UMass will end up scheduling series with BC and/or UConn, the only other 2 I-A teams in New England, with BC being the only other I-A program in Mass and only about a ½ hr from Foxboro, and Uconn only being about an hr and a half away. Well UMass might have series scheduled with BC and/or UConn, and they might not.

02' to 04' when UConn was transitioning up to the Big East and BC was still in the Big East UConn and BC played each other those 3 times. After the 04’ season when BC left the Big East you figure the only 2 BCS teams in New England, make that the only 2 I-A teams in New England period, only about 1.5 hr drive apart, they would surely keep playing each other as rivals every season right? 6 seasons 05’-11’ they will have played each other ZERO times. Why is that?

Take the other Big public MAC team with an NFL stadium, Temple. Used to ply Rutgers every yr in the Big East. Were rivals. Only about an hr+ apart. You figure they would continue playing every year right? Since Temple left the Big East after the 04’ season, 7 seasons 05’-11’ Temple and Rutgers will have played each other ZERO times. Why is that?

After WVU played Marshall in their 1st transition season in 97’, you figure they’re the only 2 I-A programs in the state, would become big rivals and would play each other every year right? Next 8 seasons 98’ to 05’, 1st 7 of those Marshall in the MAC, they played each other ZERO times. Why is that? Now 06’ on they have played each other every season.

Those are just 3 examples of many. You have all these teams that you'd think are rivals and would be playing each other every season but aren’t for one reason or another. Maybe its turf wars, recruiting the same kids, bad blood, I don’t know. UMass could end up scheduling series with BC and/or UConn to start within the next few years. They also might end up playing neither for at least quite some time.
BLM: Burning Looting Marxists

TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 7704
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:56 pm
I am a fan of: NDSU
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

BDKJMU wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote:All will be forgotten when they start booking annual non-conference games with UConn and BC.

All in all, this is good for college football in the northeast.
Not so fast. Most of us on here, including myself, have ASSumed that UMass will end up scheduling series with BC and/or UConn, the only other 2 I-A teams in New England, with BC being the only other I-A program in Mass and only about a ½ hr from Foxboro, and Uconn only being about an hr and a half away. Well UMass might have series scheduled with BC and/or UConn, and they might not.

02' to 04' when UConn was transitioning up to the Big East and BC was still in the Big East UConn and BC played each other those 3 times. After the 04’ season when BC left the Big East you figure the only 2 BCS teams in New England, make that the only 2 I-A teams in New England period, only about 1.5 hr drive apart, they would surely keep playing each other as rivals every season right? 6 seasons 05’-11’ they will have played each other ZERO times. Why is that?

Take the other Big public MAC team with an NFL stadium, Temple. Used to ply Rutgers every yr in the Big East. Were rivals. Only about an hr+ apart. You figure they would continue playing every year right? Since Temple left the Big East after the 04’ season, 7 seasons 05’-11’ Temple and Rutgers will have played each other ZERO times. Why is that?

After WVU played Marshall in their 1st transition season in 97’, you figure they’re the only 2 I-A programs in the state, would become big rivals and would play each other every year right? Next 8 seasons 98’ to 05’, 1st 7 of those Marshall in the MAC, they played each other ZERO times. Why is that? Now 06’ on they have played each other every season.

Those are just 3 examples of many. You have all these teams that you'd think are rivals and would be playing each other every season but aren’t for one reason or another. Maybe its turf wars, recruiting the same kids, bad blood, I don’t know. UMass could end up scheduling series with BC and/or UConn to start within the next few years. They also might end up playing neither for at least quite some time.
I'm not saying it's a guarantee... I'm saying it's likely. and if not them... i'd wager that syracuse would get in on that action (they need to get to 6 wins somehow)
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

Image

User avatar
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6982
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:47 pm
I am a fan of: New Hampshire
A.K.A.: UNHWildCats

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by UNHWildCats »

BDKJMU wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote:All will be forgotten when they start booking annual non-conference games with UConn and BC.

All in all, this is good for college football in the northeast.
Not so fast. Most of us on here, including myself, have ASSumed that UMass will end up scheduling series with BC and/or UConn, the only other 2 I-A teams in New England, with BC being the only other I-A program in Mass and only about a ½ hr from Foxboro, and Uconn only being about an hr and a half away. Well UMass might have series scheduled with BC and/or UConn, and they might not.

02' to 04' when UConn was transitioning up to the Big East and BC was still in the Big East UConn and BC played each other those 3 times. After the 04’ season when BC left the Big East you figure the only 2 BCS teams in New England, make that the only 2 I-A teams in New England period, only about 1.5 hr drive apart, they would surely keep playing each other as rivals every season right? 6 seasons 05’-11’ they will have played each other ZERO times. Why is that?


Take the other Big public MAC team with an NFL stadium, Temple. Used to ply Rutgers every yr in the Big East. Were rivals. Only about an hr+ apart. You figure they would continue playing every year right? Since Temple left the Big East after the 04’ season, 7 seasons 05’-11’ Temple and Rutgers will have played each other ZERO times. Why is that?

After WVU played Marshall in their 1st transition season in 97’, you figure they’re the only 2 I-A programs in the state, would become big rivals and would play each other every year right? Next 8 seasons 98’ to 05’, 1st 7 of those Marshall in the MAC, they played each other ZERO times. Why is that? Now 06’ on they have played each other every season.

Those are just 3 examples of many. You have all these teams that you'd think are rivals and would be playing each other every season but aren’t for one reason or another. Maybe its turf wars, recruiting the same kids, bad blood, I don’t know. UMass could end up scheduling series with BC and/or UConn to start within the next few years. They also might end up playing neither for at least quite some time.
As stated earlier in the thread. BC and UConn havent played because BC refuses to play them because of the lawsuit filed by UConn.
Image

A unionized public employee, a teabagger, and a CEO are sitting at a table. There is a plate with a dozen cookies in the middle of the table. The CEO takes 11 cookies, turns to the teabagger and says, "Look out for that union guy--he wants a piece of your cookie."

User avatar
KAUMASS
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:56 am
I am a fan of: UAlbany
A.K.A.: KAUMASS

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by KAUMASS »

It will be interesting to see the schedule in 2012 and beyond. We are playing BC this year and we have UConn scheduled for next year. I'm sure we have kept the Uconn game for next year. Most schools have their schedules laid out for a couple of years. If dates work, I'm sure UConn and BC will look to schedule us in 2013 and beyond. It makes sense, but we don't know. UMass will have a 12 game schedule, 8 of them being MAC opponents. WIll UMass throw in a regional FCS game or just opt to take big paydays against BCS schools in the next few years to help renovate McGuirk stadium on campus?. Lot's of possibilities. I'm sure between 'Cuse, Rutgers, UConn and BC , there will be type of games on a annual/semi-annual basis for 2013 and beyond. Army and Navy can be thrown in there as well every few years. We'll see.

The AD's will work out the schedules, doesn't do much to speculate at this moment. We still have to play the '11 season against a tough CAA schedule and BC with 63 schollies. We will not fully fund 85 rides until next year. I hope we can lay some wood on some teams and go out a with a winning record b4 we begin our journey into FBS dream land and take a beating for a few years. We will be competitive in the MAC immediately, but these big BCS paydays will come with a beating. I'm talking about the top SEC, Big 10 teams. (not a mediocre to poor Michigan team like last year). By the way, we will need a new head coach after next year. Morris is not the guy. Good OC and QB coach, but he is not HC material.

User avatar
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11829
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:29 am
I am a fan of: William & Mary
Location: Republic of Texas

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by Col Hogan »

KAUMASS wrote:It will be interesting to see the schedule in 2012 and beyond. We are playing BC this year and we have UConn scheduled for next year. I'm sure we have kept the Uconn game for next year. Most schools have their schedules laid out for a couple of years. If dates work, I'm sure UConn and BC will look to schedule us in 2013 and beyond. It makes sense, but we don't know. UMass will have a 12 game schedule, 8 of them being MAC opponents. WIll UMass throw in a regional FCS game or just opt to take big paydays against BCS schools in the next few years to help renovate McGuirk stadium on campus?. Lot's of possibilities. I'm sure between 'Cuse, Rutgers, UConn and BC , there will be type of games on a annual/semi-annual basis for 2013 and beyond. Army and Navy can be thrown in there as well every few years. We'll see.

The AD's will work out the schedules, doesn't do much to speculate at this moment. We still have to play the '11 season against a tough CAA schedule and BC with 63 schollies. We will not fully fund 85 rides until next year. I hope we can lay some wood on some teams and go out a with a winning record b4 we begin our journey into FBS dream land and take a beating for a few years. We will be competitive in the MAC immediately, but these big BCS paydays will come with a beating. I'm talking about the top SEC, Big 10 teams. (not a mediocre to poor Michigan team like last year). By the way, we will need a new head coach after next year. Morris is not the guy. Good OC and QB coach, but he is not HC material.
+ 1 on Morris...nice guy, but not a FBS Head Coach...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18704
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by BDKJMU »

KAUMASS wrote:It will be interesting to see the schedule in 2012 and beyond. We are playing BC this year and we have UConn scheduled for next year. I'm sure we have kept the Uconn game for next year. Most schools have their schedules laid out for a couple of years. If dates work, I'm sure UConn and BC will look to schedule us in 2013 and beyond. It makes sense, but we don't know. UMass will have a 12 game schedule, 8 of them being MAC opponents. WIll UMass throw in a regional FCS game or just opt to take big paydays against BCS schools in the next few years to help renovate McGuirk stadium on campus?. Lot's of possibilities. I'm sure between 'Cuse, Rutgers, UConn and BC , there will be type of games on a annual/semi-annual basis for 2013 and beyond. Army and Navy can be thrown in there as well every few years. We'll see.

The AD's will work out the schedules, doesn't do much to speculate at this moment. We still have to play the '11 season against a tough CAA schedule and BC with 63 schollies. We will not fully fund 85 rides until next year. I hope we can lay some wood on some teams and go out a with a winning record b4 we begin our journey into FBS dream land and take a beating for a few years. We will be competitive in the MAC immediately, but these big BCS paydays will come with a beating. I'm talking about the top SEC, Big 10 teams. (not a mediocre to poor Michigan team like last year). By the way, we will need a new head coach after next year. Morris is not the guy. Good OC and QB coach, but he is not HC material.
Depending on having many seniors you have, how many offseason losses, how former walkons get rides, etc, I-AAs have to sign an avg of about 15 players just to maintain 63 or close to it. If UMass is going to be at 85 come 2012 season that would be the normal around 15 + 22 which would be around 35-40 signees. Heck, I thought the limit for one year was around 24/25? I doubt UMass gets up to 85' till at least 2013.
BLM: Burning Looting Marxists

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18704
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by BDKJMU »

FWIW MAC bowl tie ins:

Little Caesar’s Bowl (formerly Motor City) in Detroit (the day after Christmas this past season). MAC vs Big Ten or Sun Belch. Last pick among the Big 10 teams. If a 6-6 Big 10 not available then takes a Sun Belt. Last yr no Big 10 was avail so took FIU to face Toledo.

Go-Daddy.com Bowl in Mobile, AL (Jan 6th this past season) (MAC vs Sun Belch). The only halfway decent location for that time of year is Mobile, and the only one I would consider going to, but it would likely be a 7-5 to 9-3ish JMU team up against a Sun Belch team of similar record.

Humanitarian Bowl in Boise, ID (Dec 18th this past season) (MAC vs WAC)

(the International Bowl in Toronto which featured a Big East vs MAC 07’-10’ folded)
BLM: Burning Looting Marxists

User avatar
KAUMASS
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:56 am
I am a fan of: UAlbany
A.K.A.: KAUMASS

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by KAUMASS »

Just read that the MAC has a great relationship with the Big 10 teams for scheduling. We may see more Big 10 teams than local regional I-A teams. I'm sure it will all come down to $, but we may end up seeing a Big 10 team every year on our schedule. Would love to get Ohio St/Michigan/Wisconsin with a home and away series....with those home games obviously at Gillete. I'm thinking that after we whore ourselves out for the next few years and have our facilities financed and paid for, our OOC schedule in 2015 and beyond will probably be one regional FCS,(assuming that there are some regional FCS teams) 1 big 10 team, 1 regional I-A team and 1 wildcard. The wildcard game could be another regional I-A team, or possibly a big name opponent anywhere just looking for a home game only. Plenty of options on the table.

I don't see any regional FCS games for a couple of years. Hate to lose our UNH game, but I don't see us playing them after next year for a while(assuming they stay with the CAA/and or 63 rides.) I'm not sure if our AD would schedule any FCS northeast teams in the future anyhow with the climate of FCS in New England changing fast.

User avatar
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3
Posts: 3736
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:08 pm
I am a fan of: Monarchs, Gators, Huskies

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by ODUalum11 »

UMass goes to the MAC but where does this leave the CAA?

The CAA in the near future could really be in trouble in regards to being a football conference. There are only three teams currently in the CAA I could see staying and not leaving anytime soon...WM (more focused on academics), Richmond (obvious with the new stadium they just built), and Towson (don't think they'd have the success if they were to move up).

With UMass leaving and possibly Villanova not far behind there is no reason geographically for UNH and Maine to stay. I think those two schools will actually follow URI to the Northeast Conference.

As for other schools I can easily see GSU and ODU making the jump at some point. There have been rumblings by Panther fans over on PantherTalk.com that they think they will eventually move up and a consulting firm has suggested that ODU make the jump sooner or later. I think its obvious with JMU's new stadium renovations that they have plans to move up soon and with the success Delaware has had nationally at the FCS level I wouldn't be surprised if they were to follow any other schools making the jump.

In the end, I could easily see the CAA not being a football conference anymore. There are currently numerous members who don't have football...Drexel, Mason, VCU, Northeastern, Hofstra, UNCW, and so on.
Image

Post Reply