Football Championship Subdivision discussions
aceinthehole
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: CCSU

Re: UMASS goes to the MAC...

Post by aceinthehole »

Col Hogan wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:So, will UMass be an FBS transitional this year (& therefore ineligible for the playoffs)?

The article makes it seem that way, though it's kinda short notice for a move-up.
My understanding is that once we announce it officially we become transitional...ineligible for the playoffs this season...

And while any transfer from an FBS team prior to the announcement can play this year...any transfers after the announcement must sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility...
Congrats to UMass!

This change in classification means that CCSU's non-conference schedule now includes a FBS team - Oct. 8 CCSU @ UMass :) It also marks just the 2nd FBS opponent for a NEC team (CCSU played Western Michigan in 2007).
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

LastMinuteman wrote:The TV money isn't that great. It will pay for 2 or 3 long distance road games. But that's 2 or 3 more flights paid for than we'd have in the CAA. And the exposure and production values of ESPN beat CSN-NE. That will pay dividends in less easily measured ways.
The Tuesday/Wednesday night MAC games do very good numbers (all things considered)

certainly worth it in terms of exposure.
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
LastMinuteman wrote:The TV money isn't that great. It will pay for 2 or 3 long distance road games. But that's 2 or 3 more flights paid for than we'd have in the CAA. And the exposure and production values of ESPN beat CSN-NE. That will pay dividends in less easily measured ways.
The Tuesday/Wednesday night MAC games do very good numbers (all things considered)

Always interesting how people end up floating back to the "exposure" argument when it comes to things like this. Sure, the MAC doesn't make really any money off of its ESPN contract, but people like to say it's worth it in terms of "exposure". Exactly what has the MAC gotten from its "exposure" over the past decade? How have schools like Akron and Bowling Green really been improved by playing Tuesday night football games? Serious question. The MAC isn't better on the field today than it was 10 years ago (and you could argue if anything they're worse) and there's no real money coming in from ESPN. So what has "exposure" brought to them, except the eyes of more gamblers who need a football fix in the middle of the week?

I don't have anything against UMass's move and frankly, it's a good move for them, especially if they keep playing games at Gillette and potentially bring in BC and UConn and 'Cuse.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

What's the significance of the "Together We're One" slogan?
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Colonel Hogan, we hardly knew ye! Don't forget your old friends. ;)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

93henfan wrote:What's the significance of the "Together We're One" slogan?
I do not know...I've read all the stuff from the University so far, and can't find a reference... :oops:

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

Ivytalk wrote:Colonel Hogan, we hardly knew ye! Don't forget your old friends. ;)
You're not getting off that easy... :kisswink: :mrgreen:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

slycat wrote:Any chance if Big East takes Temple that the MAC considers JSU?

I think UMASS will be successful in the MAC.
After a couple of years in the MAC will UMass be more attractive to the Big East than Temple ?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
LastMinuteman
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UMass

Post by LastMinuteman »

GannonFan wrote:Always interesting how people end up floating back to the "exposure" argument when it comes to things like this. Sure, the MAC doesn't make really any money off of its ESPN contract, but people like to say it's worth it in terms of "exposure". Exactly what has the MAC gotten from its "exposure" over the past decade? How have schools like Akron and Bowling Green really been improved by playing Tuesday night football games? Serious question.
It's a commercial for the existence of the university and the team. Buying that airtime on national television would be prohibitively expensive.

The CAA obviously thinks television exposure is worth something by itself, because they put their football games on regional cable networks for essentially no money.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

UNI88 wrote:

After a couple of years in the MAC will UMass be more attractive to the Big East than Temple ?
Playing all their home games at Gillette, and as a way of getting back at BC....

yep.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

GannonFan wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote:

Always interesting how people end up floating back to the "exposure" argument when it comes to things like this. Sure, the MAC doesn't make really any money off of its ESPN contract, but people like to say it's worth it in terms of "exposure". Exactly what has the MAC gotten from its "exposure" over the past decade? How have schools like Akron and Bowling Green really been improved by playing Tuesday night football games? Serious question. The MAC isn't better on the field today than it was 10 years ago (and you could argue if anything they're worse) and there's no real money coming in from ESPN. So what has "exposure" brought to them, except the eyes of more gamblers who need a football fix in the middle of the week?

I don't have anything against UMass's move and frankly, it's a good move for them, especially if they keep playing games at Gillette and potentially bring in BC and UConn and 'Cuse.
being on tv>not being on tv

maybe a umass guy can correct me on this - but this looks like a long-term play to get in to the big east...
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

being on tv>not being on tv

maybe a umass guy can correct me on this - but this looks like a long-term play to get in to the big east...
Well, you'll never get an admin type to admit that...but isn't it the goal of each university to get its teams positioned with the best in their area???

And the Big East is better than the MAC...

Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

Congrats to UMass, good luck in the MAC
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

UNI88 wrote:

It'd be hard not to be, there is NO, let me be clear ZERO, one more time NO FRIGGIN CHANCE that Temple is invited back to the conference that once & I can't remember it ever happening anywhere else, showed them the door. Yes, Temple has a major league stadium they play in, but they did the 1st time around in the Big East & frankly other than moving to the south side of Pattison Avenue, nothing has changed.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

They averaged 13,005 last season. #20 in the FCS. i have no idea what kind of upside they have. This is just more evidence that FBS football is within reach for any team that is in the top 20 attendance in the FCS. That includes NDSU, Montana State, YSU any of the schools that are mentioned when you talk about the top teams in the FCS. It all depends on the situation you get offered. Its difficult to take any FBS naysayers seriously after what we have seen this off season.

In supporting this move some have mentioned the advantage to the OOC games, more money, bigger crowds. True and it applies to any FCS team that makes the move. Extra TV money. True and it applies to any FCS school making the move. Bowl games. True and just as good or better than money losing FCS playoff games.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

The thing is, jabber, it is almost never about attendance in the first place.

In fact attendance is often down the list of things, sometimes way down the list, that are looked at for an FBS move.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Gee clenz, you sure are smart. :rofl:

:rofl:
Attendance is often down the list of things, sometimes way down

When is attendance not considered? The NCAA has a 15,000 attendance rule.

Fact is if a program has the support, the facilities and the will to make it happen all they need is an invite. 13,000 is D2 for crying out loud. What we are looking at is a medium sized FCS school making a move into a weak FBS conference to reap the rewards of much better OOC money, better conference competition, Bowl exposure, TV money and almost certainly much better local corporate sponsorships. The invite is the only thing that differentiates NDSU and UMass or Nova. In fact NDSU is better situated in many of those criteria than either of the mentioned schools.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Col Hogan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Colonel Hogan, we hardly knew ye! Don't forget your old friends. ;)
You're not getting off that easy... :kisswink: :mrgreen:

Griz Nation would like to solicit your services as a bandwagon fan.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
guinzone
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Youngstown State
A.K.A.: Let's Go Guins

Post by guinzone »

The Fargo sports people are hearing YSU may be looking to bolt from the MVFC for the CAA. One of our bloggers will have the story sometime tomorrow.

Personally, I know we aren't happy with the expansion into the Dakota's, but I have not heard us interested in any move.
Proud Youngstown State Fan
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

guinzone wrote:The Fargo sports people are hearing YSU may be looking to bolt from the MVFC for the CAA. One of our bloggers will have the story sometime tomorrow.

Personally, I know we aren't happy with the expansion into the Dakota's, but I have not heard us interested in any move.
I've read it before, brought it here before and got told I was wrong. I broke this story shortly after the Dakota's were added. The CAA or MAC is a much better fit for YSU than the MVFC
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

JBB wrote:Gee clenz, you sure are smart. :rofl:

Attendance is often down the list of things, sometimes way down

When is attendance not considered? The NCAA has a 15,000 attendance rule.

Fact is if a program has the support, the facilities and the will to make it happen all they need is an invite. 13,000 is D2 for crying out loud. What we are looking at is a medium sized FCS school making a move into a weak FBS conference to reap the rewards of much better OOC money, better conference competition, Bowl exposure, TV money and almost certainly much better local corporate sponsorships. The invite is the only thing that differentiates NDSU and UMass or Nova. In fact NDSU is better situated in many of those criteria than either of the mentioned schools.
Which they don't enforce.

13K is solid FCS attendance

Attendance is a consideration, but WAY down the list in importance.

And a number of schools (I'm looking at you, Marshall and Nevada) had better attendence as I-AA schools than they do now.
:thumb:
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

I have no problem with UMass or Nova moving up, good for them and my congratulations as well. I do have a problem with know it all fans that dismiss a program like NDSU, which has all the advantages and then some. All we lack is an invite. Ive heard all of these so called experts denigrate NDSU only to fawn over other programs making the move that are actually in weaker positions. Quinn is the only person to acknowledge this and he is correct. NDSU does not have the advantage of location. With that said......

I wouldnt be surprised if YSU moved along. USD was invited for a reason.

Ps. 13,000 is ok for FCS, great for D2 and weak for FBS. Forget the BCS.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

JBB wrote:I have no problem with UMass or Nova moving up, good for them and my congratulations as well. I do have a problem with know it all fans that dismiss a program like NDSU, which has all the advantages and then some. All we lack is an invite. Ive heard all of these so called experts denigrate NDSU only to fawn over other programs making the move that are actually in weaker positions. Quinn is the only person to acknowledge this and he is correct. NDSU does not have the advantage of location. With that said......

I wouldnt be surprised if YSU moved along. USD was invited for a reason.

Ps. 13,000 is ok for FCS, great for D2 and weak for FBS. Forget the BCS.
NDSU could have all the advantages of the University of Michigan but if they continue to play in the shit hole mall looking building, only draw 17K, and remain in North Dakota you aren't going to get jack shit for an invite from anywhere that matters.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

clenzy is exactly the type of idiotic fan Im talking about. Such a know it all and so well spoken. Emotional. Not a strong thinker. :lol: