Football Championship Subdivision discussions
ChickenMan
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Delaware

YSU to the CAA???

Post by ChickenMan »

From letsgopenguins.com

The University of Massachusetts announced this past week that they will be making the jump to the Mid-American Conference of the Football Bowl Subdivision in 2012. You may be asking yourself, what does this have to do with Youngstown State; just bear with me for a second.

Here is the rundown: This move, coupled with Rhode Island’s move to the Northeast Conference in 2013 and Villanova’s anticipated move to the Big East means the Colonial Athletic Association will be down a total of three programs in football. In 2011, Old Dominion will join the CAA and in 2012, Georgia State will be joining the CAA for football as well. With all that being said, the CAA will still be down one team and they will likely look to another FCS conference to fill that void.

Dom Izzo, the Sports Director for WDAY TV-6 in Fargo, ND has reported a total of four times over the past month and a half that Youngstown State is on the Colonial Athletic Association’s radar

http://letsgoguins.com/fan-blog/375-fan ... town-state

"the closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program"... Ronald Reagan
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: YSU to the CAA???

Post by BDKJMU »

Already posted here, talking about it bottom of page 6 and on page 7:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23283&start=125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChickenMan
Level2
Level2

Post by ChickenMan »

Should have known it would have been in the UMass goes to the MAC thread... :o

"the closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program"... Ronald Reagan
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

It's exciting for UD fans at least, with our D-II history with the Pens. Not so sure about the rest of the CAA. It's a good excuse for a drive across the PA turnpike, some boozing in Pittsburgh, and maybe a side trip to the W PA/W MD/WV wilderness. I think it would be good for FCS.
guinzone
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Youngstown State
A.K.A.: Let's Go Guins

Post by guinzone »

Keep this thread going. It deserves its own thread. Really not sure why it belonged in the UMass thread anyways haha!
Proud Youngstown State Fan
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Youngstown negotiating with the CAA office:

[youtube][/youtube]
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Monarchs, Gators, Huskies

Post by ODUalum11 »

Charlotte I think was reported to join the CAA in football so that should fill the void...even though they wouldn't be able to join the conference until 2015.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

futureodualum11 wrote:Charlotte I think was reported to join the CAA in football so that should fill the void...even though they wouldn't be able to join the conference until 2015.
I think you have it mixed up. The reports are that Charlotte declined membership because it was an all-sports invite and they want football-only. That said, who the hell knows what's going on with Charlotte. I don't think Charlotte fans know what's going on with Charlotte. :lol:

Anyways, YSU is an interesting prospect and I like the idea. If we can make the MVFC weaker while simultaneously strengthening the Colonial Athletic Association, then I'm down for it. YSU already has great support (or so I've read), and the "Ice Castle" is a nice FCS stadium. I think it's a win-win for all sides. Northern teams are happy, the CAA becomes stronger, YSU joins a top conference and can become one of the best programs in the country again.

That said, it seems like YSU has some deep interests in the MVC. I don't think the MVC would be too happy if YSU left just for football. It'd show that YSU is not committed to the conference as a whole.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

∞∞∞ wrote:
futureodualum11 wrote:Charlotte I think was reported to join the CAA in football so that should fill the void...even though they wouldn't be able to join the conference until 2015.
I think you have it mixed up. The reports are that Charlotte declined membership because it was an all-sports invite and they want football-only. That said, who the hell knows what's going on with Charlotte. I don't think Charlotte fans know what's going on with Charlotte. :lol:

Anyways, YSU is an interesting prospect and I like the idea. If we can make the MVFC weaker while simultaneously strengthening the Colonial Athletic Association, then I'm down for it. YSU already has great support (or so I've read), and the "Ice Castle" is a nice FCS stadium. I think it's a win-win for all sides. Northern teams are happy, the CAA becomes stronger, YSU joins a top conference and can become one of the best programs in the country again.

That said, it seems like YSU has some deep interests in the MVC. I don't think the MVC would be too happy if YSU left just for football. It'd show that YSU is not committed to the conference as a whole.
YSU is only a football member. They are Horizon in everything else. They are a better fit in the CAA or OVC...heck why the aren't in the OVC is a shocker to me....they (the admin and fan base) thinks they are bigger than they truly are. There is zero "real" tie between YSU and the MVFC or MVC

The MVFC is different than the MVC. The MVFC used to be the Gateway Conference and is completely separate than the Missouri Valley Conference that SIU, UNI, MSU, ISU, ISU are in for all sports. They are run by the same group of people, but a completely separate conference.

F YSU, IMO. I hope they leave the conference. The fact that they are 1000 miles outside of the footprint of the conference sucks, and they haven't done jack shit since joining the conference (outside of one playoff appearance in 2006). I believe they are under .500 since joining the MVFC (Gateway Conference at the time they joined), if not overall I believe they are in conference play.

They aren't making the CAA stronger....this isn't the YSU days of Sweatervest the Cheater

With USD joining the MVFC I'd love to see YSU gone (I may be in the minority here but I have yet to see YSU beat UNI in my time as a "true" UNI fan. I'd love to see Butler or Drake commit itself to football and join the MVFC, and since Drake is already a MVC member it would be even better....even then I despise all things Drake. Butler is a pipe-dream and they are more tied to the hope they join the MVC than the MVFC.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

My mistake then. Still, I don't see how losing YSU would be a good thing for the MVFC and a bad one for the CAA. I don't really care how they do in conference play because in all honesty, that doesn't matter for the conference as a whole. But if they can contribute solid OOC wins on a regular basis, then that only increases the profile of the CAA. Even if they haven't had success in the MVFC play, I imagine YSU does raise the profile of the conference with their OOC play. I'm pretty sure they were ranked going into conference play this past season, and when an MVFC team beats them, that's definitely a better win for that team than beating a non-ranked opponent.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

Yeah, I honestly could not care less if Youngstown bolted.

Big deal..
UNI FIGHT
DJH
Level3
Level3

Post by DJH »

∞∞∞ wrote:My mistake then. Still, I don't see how losing YSU would be a good thing for the MVFC and a bad one for the CAA. I don't really care how the do in conference play because in all honesty, that doesn't matter for the conference as a whole. But if they can contribute solid OOC wins on a regular basis, then that only increases the profile of the CAA. Even if they don't have success in the MVFC play, I imagine YSU does raise the profile of the conference in OOC play.
Its not a "good" thing for the MVFC. But I don't think it would be a "bad" thing either. They certainly haven't contributed a whole lot to the conference in their time here.

It would be a great thing for the CAA because they are definitely going to be hurting for members pretty soon, and YSU is a decent FCS program.

YSU leaves the MVFC, life goes on as normal for the conference, IMO.
UNI FIGHT
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

clenz wrote:I think you have it mixed up. The reports are that Charlotte declined membership because it was an all-sports invite and they want football-only. That said, who the hell knows what's going on with Charlotte. I don't think Charlotte fans know what's going on with Charlotte. :lol:
If that is the case I think Charlotte should try to go for the Big South which would allow Stony Brook into the CAA. The Seawolves dont fit the geographical footprint of the Big South and I think personally the Sea Wolves would be a good edition the CAA in terms of both competitiveness and location, and along with YSU it would be good for the CAA especially if/when these events occur. :twocents:
FargoBison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by FargoBison »

I'm neutral on YSU leaving, I like having them around but since they are an outlier I can understand if they go elsewhere at some point in the future.

Like the panther fans have said life will go on if they leave, it isn't like any of the other MVFC teams are going anywhere and last time I checked a nine team conference is ideal for scheduling purposes.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Perhaps if YSU leaves you can take UND like you should have all along.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

AZGrizFan wrote:Perhaps if YSU leaves you can take UND like you should have all along.
You do realize you just guaranteed this thread will go 4 or 5 pages, 3 or 4 of which will be filled with JBB and Lakes spouting their retard hate, and everyone else smacking them down?

So thanks for that! :lol: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

BDKJMU wrote:Already posted here, talking about it bottom of page 6 and on page 7:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23283&start=125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who cares? Chickenman needs to post more. What's this thread about again?
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

I'd rather have Youngstown than Charlotte.

...and Albany over Stoneybrook. :)
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

clenz wrote:
F YSU, IMO. I hope they leave the conference. The fact that they are 1000 miles outside of the footprint of the conference sucks, and they haven't done jack **** since joining the conference (outside of one playoff appearance in 2006). I believe they are under .500 since joining the MVFC (Gateway Conference at the time they joined), if not overall I believe they are in conference play.
While I agree that YSU is a shadow of what they were in the 90's, wasn't YSU officially part of the Gateway starting in 1997, meaning that they won the national title that year as well as got to the finals in '00, all as part of the Gateway/MVF conference? That's half of the national titles the MVFC has won in the past 15 years and they're the only one left still in the conference (WKU has obviously gone elsewhere).
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
DJH
Level3
Level3

Post by DJH »

AZGrizFan wrote:Perhaps if YSU leaves you can take UND like you should have all along.
Unfortunately, they do not fit into the guidelines of being in the nationally renowned "Dakota Big 3", as outlined by JBB.
UNI FIGHT
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Coastal Carolina is still a strong candidate for CAA expansion.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

GannonFan wrote:
clenz wrote:
F YSU, IMO. I hope they leave the conference. The fact that they are 1000 miles outside of the footprint of the conference sucks, and they haven't done jack **** since joining the conference (outside of one playoff appearance in 2006). I believe they are under .500 since joining the MVFC (Gateway Conference at the time they joined), if not overall I believe they are in conference play.
While I agree that YSU is a shadow of what they were in the 90's, wasn't YSU officially part of the Gateway starting in 1997, meaning that they won the national title that year as well as got to the finals in '00, all as part of the Gateway/MVF conference? That's half of the national titles the MVFC has won in the past 15 years and they're the only one left still in the conference (WKU has obviously gone elsewhere).
You are correct, I keep forgetting YSU was there in 97 as well.

97- 13-2 (champions)
98- 6-5
99- 12-3 (runner up)
00 - 9-3 (first round, last with Tressel)
01 - 8-3
02 - 7-4
03 - 5-7
04 - 4-7
05 - 8-3
06 - 11-3 (semi's)
07 - 7-4
08 - 4-8
09 - 6-5
10 - 3-8

Since the turn of the century they have made the playoffs twice, and only once since Tressel left, and have a record of 63-52 (54% win%). That is hardly worth writing home about. Their only outright conference title came in 06. To take it a step further, since Tressel, and his players, were gone only 3 times has YSU been over .500.

In terms of quality OOC wins, here are their OOC wins since 1997...here's a hint, it's pretty much all low FCS and D2 teams

Butler – Non-scholly
Central Conneticut State – partial scholly

Austin Peay State
Northeastern

Central St (Oh) – sub D1 (restart program, NAIA at the time…I think)

South Dakota St – transition D2
SUNY –Stoney Brook
Lock Haven (PA) – D2

Slippery Rock (PA) – D2
Maine
UC-Davis

Slippery Rock (PA) –D2
Northeastern
Liberty

Slippery Rock (PA) – D2
Liberty

Edinboro (PA) – D2
Slippery Rock (PA) – D2
Liberty

Clarion (PA) – D2
Samford (AL)

Lock Haven (PA) – D2
Clarion (PA) – D2
Elon

Slippery Rock (PA) – D2
Edinboro (PA) – D2
Kent State – FBS
Hofstra
Cal-Poly

Slipper Rock (PA) – D2
Indiana (PA) – D2
Cal-Poly
Villanova

Clarion (PA) – D2
Kent State – FBS
New Haven (CT) – D2

Slippery Rock (PA) – D2
Boston
Hofstra
Buffalo (FCS at the time)

Prior to joining the MVFC there was just as many, sometimes more D2 games on the schedule. I want too, but don't feel like, going through and getting their records with only counter games. Heck, their schedule is the reason they were a co-champ in 2005 and missed the playoffs...they only had 7 D1 wins and didn't get the autobid because they didn't beat UNI...which they haven't done since 1999
LastMinuteman
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UMass

Post by LastMinuteman »

∞∞∞ wrote:Anyways, YSU is an interesting prospect and I like the idea. If we can make the MVFC weaker while simultaneously strengthening the Colonial Athletic Association, then I'm down for it. YSU already has great support (or so I've read), and the "Ice Castle" is a nice FCS stadium. I think it's a win-win for all sides. Northern teams are happy, the CAA becomes stronger, YSU joins a top conference and can become one of the best programs in the country again.
YSU does nothing for the Northern teams. Every single team in the CAA except Georgia State is closer to YSU than UNH is, and even GSU is closer than Maine. Charlotte is closer to YSU than UNH is. And it's probably cheaper for UNH to fly to Atlanta and Charlotte than YSU due to those being major airline hubs.

The only realistic additions that would help UNH and Maine are Fordham, Stony Brook and Albany.
Last edited by LastMinuteman on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

LastMinuteman wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Anyways, YSU is an interesting prospect and I like the idea. If we can make the MVFC weaker while simultaneously strengthening the Colonial Athletic Association, then I'm down for it. YSU already has great support (or so I've read), and the "Ice Castle" is a nice FCS stadium. I think it's a win-win for all sides. Northern teams are happy, the CAA becomes stronger, YSU joins a top conference and can become one of the best programs in the country again.
YSU does nothing for the Northern teams. Every single team in the CAA except Georgia State is closer to YSU than UNH and Maine are. Even Charlotte is closer to YSU than UNH. And it's probably cheaper for UNH to fly to Atlanta and Charlotte than YSU due to those being major airline hubs.
I would bet those CAA teams are still closer to YSU than YSU is to pretty much any of the MVFC teams except Indiana State...maybe Illinois State
guinzone
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Youngstown State
A.K.A.: Let's Go Guins

Post by guinzone »

Clenz is right... In terms of driving time, JMU (5.5 Hours), Towson (6 Hours), Delaware (6.5 Hours), and Richmond (7 Hours) are all closer to YSU than Indiana State (7 Hours); with the exception of William and Mary (8 Hours).
Proud Youngstown State Fan