Football Championship Subdivision discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: #4 Montana vs #1 James Madison

Post by AZGrizFan »

Llamaguy wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: And there'll be no shame in being 1-9 if they lose to the #1 team in all the land, right? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

And really, bragging about the multitude of teams that have 8 conference wins when you NEVER have to play everybody in your conferences is really laughable. You had an 8-4 Maine team make the tournament and they NEVER won a "difficult" game all year. They had ZERO quality wins, but they had 8 cupcakes on their schedule. Let's just agree to not go there.
OK take them out of the equation! CAA= 4 of 8 in quarters, 2 of 4 in the semis. Your Point? Thats like bragging that your 3rd place team is better than the CAA's 6th but neither made the playoffs so who gives a *&*%. I'm sure beating one of the other half of the CAA's lower teams would have been much better than a win against a #1 ranked App. St. win. Please?
The question isn't whether JMU is good. There's been no argument there. Why the anger? Do we need to go back and dissect who got the cupcakes? ;)
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Llamaguy
I am a fan of: JMU

Post by Llamaguy »

Chaulk it upto East Coast Bias I suppose. The beauty is in less 24hrs, we will know how good JMU or Montana is on the field. As it should be. ;)
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

We all know that the east coast looks lowly down upon the teams out west so i say let them have their misguided opinions, its more fun when we kick there ass :D. I think JMU is going to lose just based on the fact that their luck has to run out sometime, lets face it they have gotten here on sheer dumb luck:

-Trailing 21-0 at halftime, the Dukes outscored the Mountaineers 35-11 in the second half.
-Three weeks later against Richmond with the game tied 31-31, Scotty McGee returns a punt 69 yards to give JMU a 38-31 lead with one second remaining.
-Landers connects with receiver Bosco Williams for a 35-yard, Hail-Mary touchdown pass with no time on the clock for a 23-19 win over Villnova
-JMU Barely Squeaks by Wofford on their home field 38-35

Also the the only real suspect part of JMU's defense is their secondary where Villnovas QB literally picked them apart, i see a combination of Colt, Mariani, Ferriter and Schulte having big days. Well i hate to say it Dukes your luck is going to run out this week against Montana, time for the boys out west to show these folks back east what REAL football is. GO GRIZ!!
-Montana: 34
-JMU: 21
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Llamaguy wrote:
You make good points and are obviously a great stat man but this comparison has a bias! They didn't play the same schedule. Of course the DB's for Montana have better stats because they played weaker competion within a league without great QBs. Look at their stats against Weber and other teams with a decent QB rating and see how great their stats are.The CAA is a QB driven league, even at the lower end of the conference. Just look at the numbers. I have respected all your picks so far but for Montana, this is the first time they will have played a team where they have a weaker strength of schedule. When the formula doesn't work this week, this will be why! ;)

This has to be the most ignorant set of statements thus far. The Big Sky doesn't have good QBs? Are you serious? The Big Sky has Cameron Higgins (great & just a sophomore), Cole Bergquist (efficient and accurate), Matt Nichols (good this year, great last year), Jason Smith (best Sac QB since Ricky Ray), & Drew Hubel (Portland St.; really good half the time).

Here's Weber's passing stats against Montana last week: 19-40, 270 yards, 1 INT; a 99.2 efficiency rating.
In other words, Montana held Cameron Higgins & his dangerous receivers to a rather bad 99.2 efficiency rating despite not getting enough pressure to get any sacks. That's a pretty good day for the Griz secondary, wouldn't you say?

The CAA is a QB-driven conference? Since when? The CAA/A-10 has always been about power, running, & defense. There's Rodney Landers (great runner, OK passer), R.J. Toman, Liam Coen (like Nichols, better in the past than this year), Sean Schaefer (good, but on a lousy team) & maybe Eric Ward (good but not great). Chris Whitney has been good so far, but I think the jury's still out for now. Who else is good beyond that? Just 5 of the 12 CAA teams averaged over 200 ypg passing. It's hard to be a QB driven conference when the passing totals are that low. To contrast, 8 of the 9 Big Sky teams averaged over 200 ypg passing & two of them averaged over 300 (PSU & Weber). The leader in CAA passing yardage, Towson, would rank just 5th. in the Big Sky in the same stat (between ISU & UNC). Sac State—8th. in the Big Sky in pass yardage—would rank in the top half of the CAA in that stat.

Historically & now, NO FCS conference is more QB-driven than the Big Sky. With great QBs of the past like John Friesz, Dave Dickenson, Doug Nussmeier, Jamie Martin, Brian Ah Yat, Drew Miller, Erik Meyer, Travis Lulay, Craig Ochs, Ricky Ray, and Jeff Lewis (as well as the current ones already mentioned), the teams in the Big Sky spent most of their time flinging the ball 30-50 times a game. Very few teams have to line up & stop the passing game more than Montana.

Oh, & here's another interesting stat from this year…
    • Passing Efficiency: Big Sky - 130.6
      Passing Efficiency: Colonial - 129.8

I agree that JMU has played a tougher schedule, but the difference isn't as big as CAA lovers seem to think. The CAA was the best conference this year, but it wasn't by far the best. Montana plays in the Big Sky (third best by my estimation), not somewhere like the Big South or Patriot League, so the SOS gap isn't that large & it isn't overly meaningful.

I'm obviously not guaranteeing a Montana win (far from it), but I think that, if they keep playing like they have been the last several weeks, no FCS team will beat the Griz. The road could kill the momentum, but I have a feeling it won't this time around & UM will get it done.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Looking forward to watching the game tonight. It will be a good game but the Griz will prevail. Griz by 4.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: The CAA is a QB-driven conference? Since when? The CAA/A-10 has always been about power, running, & defense. There's Rodney Landers (great runner, OK passer), R.J. Toman, Liam Coen (like Nichols, better in the past than this year), Sean Schaefer (good, but on a lousy team) & maybe Eric Ward (good but not great). Chris Whitney has been good so far, but I think the jury's still out for now. Who else is good beyond that? Just 5 of the 12 CAA teams averaged over 200 ypg passing. It's hard to be a QB driven conference when the passing totals are that low. To contrast, 8 of the 9 Big Sky teams averaged over 200 ypg passing & two of them averaged over 300 (PSU & Weber). The leader in CAA passing yardage, Towson, would rank just 5th. in the Big Sky in the same stat (between ISU & UNC). Sac State—8th. in the Big Sky in pass yardage—would rank in the top half of the CAA in that stat.

Historically & now, NO FCS conference is more QB-driven than the Big Sky. With great QBs of the past like John Friesz, Dave Dickenson, Doug Nussmeier, Jamie Martin, Brian Ah Yat, Drew Miller, Erik Meyer, Travis Lulay, Craig Ochs, Ricky Ray, and Jeff Lewis (as well as the current ones already mentioned), the teams in the Big Sky spent most of their time flinging the ball 30-50 times a game. Very few teams have to line up & stop the passing game more than Montana.

Oh, & here's another interesting stat from this year…
    • Passing Efficiency: Big Sky - 130.6
      Passing Efficiency: Colonial - 129.8

I agree that JMU has played a tougher schedule, but the difference isn't as big as CAA lovers seem to think. The CAA was the best conference this year, but it wasn't by far the best. Montana plays in the Big Sky (third best by my estimation), not somewhere like the Big South or Patriot League, so the SOS gap isn't that large & it isn't overly meaningful.

I'm obviously not guaranteeing a Montana win (far from it), but I think that, if they keep playing like they have been the last several weeks, no FCS team will beat the Griz. The road could kill the momentum, but I have a feeling it won't this time around & UM will get it done.
Good post...couple of points...

I agree that as a conference, CAA is not QB driven...some teams (UNH, for example) have a strong QB oriented system...Delaware is extremely QB dependent, witness their demise this year because of mainly QB issues...

But overall, CAA has been defense and power rushing...UMass is a good example, as our down year this season was not due to Liam Coen being off, but rather not having the power rushing game was a drag on Coen...

Landers (an AE clone) is a fantastic runner and a good passer (better than OK IMHO)...he's made things happen when they fell behind, and has kept defense on their heals when JMU scores first...

I, too, am not guaranteeing a JMU win...but feel they have all the tool necessary to do it...

No doubt, Montana will be their toughest test this season, as it should be if you reach the semi-finals...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Col Hogan wrote: No doubt, Montana will be their toughest test this season, as it should be if you reach the semi-finals...
Exactly. Teams don't get here by accident. There's no shame in losing this game for either team. :? :? :? :? So, remember than when JMU loses. CAA will still be considered an "OK" conference even when they go 0-5 for teams in the finals. :lol: :lol: :shock:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Col Hogan wrote: No doubt, Montana will be their toughest test this season, as it should be if you reach the semi-finals...
Exactly. Teams don't get here by accident. There's no shame in losing this game for either team. :? :? :? :? So, remember than when JMU loses. CAA will still be considered an "OK" conference even when they go 0-5 for teams in the finals. :lol: :lol: :shock:
Tell your team to stop by my house for consolation prizes as they drag their tails out of the Commonwealth after JMU hands them a whooping.... :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Col Hogan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: Exactly. Teams don't get here by accident. There's no shame in losing this game for either team. :? :? :? :? So, remember than when JMU loses. CAA will still be considered an "OK" conference even when they go 0-5 for teams in the finals. :lol: :lol: :shock:
Tell your team to stop by my house for consolation prizes as they drag their tails out of the Commonwealth after JMU hands them a whooping.... :lol: :lol:
Are you gonna NOT send me a JMU hat too? :lol: :lol: ;) ;)
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Col Hogan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: Exactly. Teams don't get here by accident. There's no shame in losing this game for either team. :? :? :? :? So, remember than when JMU loses. CAA will still be considered an "OK" conference even when they go 0-5 for teams in the finals. :lol: :lol: :shock:
This is something that you east coast teams do a lot but the Griz never drag their tails win or lose, EVER.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

Richmond KILLED App st.(surprisingly) on the road.
Uni has a home game in a the dome(with a garage door for a tunnel).
Uni bearly beat new hampshire.
advantage: Richmond.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
James Madison bearly beat Nova at home.
Montana beat weber comfortably at home.
JMad BEAT;umass,app st, richmond, & nova 2wice!
JMad plays at home.
close game. Advantage: James Madison.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Col Hogan wrote: Tell your team to stop by my house for consolation prizes as they drag their tails out of the Commonwealth after JMU hands them a whooping.... :lol: :lol:
Are you gonna NOT send me a JMU hat too? :lol: :lol: ;) ;)
? ? ?

I'm tracking down/ordering a replacement for last year...

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

grizzaholic wrote:
Col Hogan wrote: Tell your team to stop by my house for consolation prizes as they drag their tails out of the Commonwealth after JMU hands them a whooping.... :lol: :lol:
This is something that you east coast teams do a lot but the Griz never drag their tails win or lose, EVER.
How's this...

Tell your team to stop by my house for consolation prizes as they sing Christmas Caroles on their way out of the Commonwealth after JMU hands them a whooping....

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

You know what''s really funny? Is that this is the deepest run these seniors on JMU have EVER made! They were one-shot monkeys the last two years....they're gonna be quaking in their boots...
GrizNation
I am a fan of: University Of Montana
A.K.A.: Montana Grizzlies

Post by GrizNation »

I am sad to reveal my picks. I do pick richmond to win! I believe they are a stronger team and are the team that is playing the best right now. That is the easy pick.

Now for the James Madison/Montana game....

Yes, JM has beat several really good teams, but lets not forget that Montana also beat Weber State (ranked 12) and Cal Poly (ranked 3rd.) Both of those teams are well rounded and highly feared teams this year. UM beat Cal Poly early in the season than lost to Weber St. later on. Then Weber beats Cal Poly in the playoffs and meets up with UM and gets beat.

James Madison Played several really good teams also... Ap. state (ranked 2), Richmond (ranked 6) and Villanova (ranked 7). I do understand the strength of James Madisons season, but one thing that they lack right now is a potent passing game... Now some might disagree with that, and thats ok, but i was checking stats and it seems as though the run game, including the quarterbacks running, is what they tend to lean on.

Possitives:
UM- Good balanced attack, strong run defense, decent pass defense. Colt Anderson needs to step up and take charge of the secondary, and for UM to win they need to shut down the QB. UM QB will need to keep his head on straight and make good decisions. No need to throw downfield into double coverage if you can throw underneith and get a first down. The big plays will be there, and UM is never one to have a shortage of those. Mariani will be key, and the special teams will have to keep UM's punt returner contained.

JMU- Strong running game, great QB movement... p.s. he's fast, Smart QB. Good run and pass defense, but they will go up against a talented young runner for UM that has only gotten better throughout the season. Also the run defense has lacked the shut down ability. Wofford rushed for over 300 yards against them. They will need to tighten that down in order to keep UM running under control.

winner? I think it will be a very tight game and whoever has less turnovers will win. So... James Madison 21 Montana 24
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

AZGrizFan wrote:Here's my predictions:

1) JMU will have 2-3 plays of +40 yards. Montana's tendency to give up a big play (but usually not for a TD) will haunt them here.
2) JMU will have at LEAST two drives stall in the red zone and have to settle for field goal attempts (Griz have a "bend but don't break" defense).
3) JMU will be held to less than 75% of it's average yards on the ground.
4) Montana will force at LEAST two turnovers
5) Montana will block a punt
6) Montana will win the TOP battle
7) Chase Reynolds will have more yards than either the JMU QB or RB.

Montana trails at the half, 13-7. They score twice in the 3rd qtr to make it 21-13, then they trade TD's in the 4th and the final is

GRIZ 27
JMU 21
1) Nope. Griz held JMU in check from the big play. Their longest play was about 30 yards, and no big killer play like against Montana State.
2) Half right here. JMU had ONE drive stall ---- the first. After that, they stalled THEMSELVES with turnover after turnover.
3). Nope again. JMU got a LOT of yards between the 20's. A symptom of Montana's bend but don't break
defense.
4) Wow. That's all I can say. Just....WOW. FOUR turnovers....and ALL at critical points in the game and at critical points on the field. Hats off the the Montana D here...
5) I don't think JMU ever punted. Hard to block a punt...
6) Nope here either. Then again, Montana was working on a short field most of the game, so TOP was less of an issue this game.
7) Check. Reynolds was a beast, yet again.

This game reminded me a LOT of the first Montana/Weber game. If JMU takes care of the ball, this game could have turned out very differently. I wouldn't want to play that team ten times, because I'm not sure how many the Griz would win, but they won the one that counted....now, it's

ON TO CHATTY!!!!!
GrizNation
I am a fan of: University Of Montana
A.K.A.: Montana Grizzlies

Post by GrizNation »

Man i should write for some column.

I pretty much hit the nail on the head... "i said they would have to have a better pass game, hence they fumbled and turned it over on runs... i said they would have to not turn the ball over... repeat of first section of fumbles on runs... i said that um would have to contain the QB, i know he got hurt, but a true champion plays through pains... but all in all the Griz defense stepped up and once again held an opponent under their season average. This isn't a case of how many out of ten would they win, if that was the case we might as well call the FCS the BCS... The griz won, hands down, and it could have been worse, they let JMU back into the game, and almost lost it. Well, i can't wait til the championship, i will be back here posting my opinion, and yes, breaking down each team again to see who statistically should win. This game even though i was off on the score, i was pretty darn accurate. For those who didn't read my post please look at it, i thought i was pretty fair and accurate."
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

SeattleGriz wrote:Montana 31
JMU 24
Not bad.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
travelinman67
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Portland State Vikings
A.K.A.: Modern Man

Post by travelinman67 »

SeattleGriz wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:Montana 31
JMU 24
Not bad.
:jack:

...no self-pleasuring allowed until AFTER Chatty.
"That is how government works - we tell you what you can do today."
- EPA Kommissar Gina McCarthy
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

AZGrizFan wrote:Let's talk defense. Montana enjoys a +14 turnover margin this year. But are ya'll aware that in the past 6 games, the Griz have forced 23 turnovers, while only giving up the ball 5 times themselves?

And the Griz have put the ball on the ground 18 times, but 9 of those came in that two week lull in late September/early October. In no other game have they had more than 2, and in 7 games they've had ZERO, including 4 of the last 7.

JMU, conversely, has been an excellent steward of the ball all year (with the exception of the Duke game), with only 12 turnovers and a +10 margin, including a four game stretch with ZERO turnovers. :shock: :shock: They have only 4 turnovers in their last 7 games. However, their opportunistic defense, which caused 14 turnovers in the first six games has only taken the ball away 8 times in the last 7 games. In that 7 games stretch, they DO still enjoy a +3 margin.

Bottom line is this: Griz force a LOT of turnovers---particularly of late. JMU doesn't turn the ball over much--particularly of late. What happens when an irresistable force (Griz D) meets an immovable object (JMU's O)?

I'm a firm believer in whoever ends up winning the turnover battle wins the war. 52 hours and counting until we begin to find out the answer.
Apparently, we've answered the age-old question. Irrisistible force wins. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

godukes wrote:Oh yea I forgot. The Dukes have only lost 1 time in the past 4 years at home.
Make that TWO times. :lol: :lol: :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

godukes wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Maybe so, but most of JMUs rushing yards come from the QB Landers, not the running backs, hence why I gave QBs to JMU and RBs to Montana.
Really? You do know Marc Mariani is 4th. in the nation in punt return average, right (16.6 ypr)? McGee is a better kickoff returner, but JMU doesn't really have any depth there while Montana has Rob Schulte to tag team with Mariani. As I said, I think the returning ability is even, but the blocked punt edge gives Montana a narrow victory for the return teams.

Well one thing JMU doesn't have is a L after this game.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: