NDSU NEXT GAME:Lafayette Leopards @ NDSU BISON Preview Alert

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JBB
Level3
Level3

Re: NDSU NEXT GAME:Lafayette Leopards @ NDSU BISON Preview A

Post by JBB »

Please, gentlemen, lets get this thread back on topic. There is a big game coming up, the next scheduled football game for the NDSU BISON.

Good news for the Leopards:
EASTON, Pa. - Seniors Doug Gerowski (New Hyde Park, N.Y./Chaminade) and Nick Nardone (Ellwood City, Pa./Lincoln) have been selected to the National Football Foundation Hampshire Honor Society. Nominees must be starters or key reserves who maintain a 3.2 or better GPA.
Both play defense. Gerowske is graduating. He was a very capable defensive tackle with 40 tackles last season.

Nardone had a medical redshirt and will be back at linebacker.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
ming01
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by ming01 »

JBB wrote:From what I saw last season when NDSU visited Bozeman is that Minot might have a good chance.
just a blatant reminder that JBB does not represent the majority opinions of Bison fans. Level headed FCS fans obviously realize how good Montana St. was, they lead us with about 8 min left in the game and also didnt help that McGeehe went down
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

I sure hope I dont represent the blatant opinions of most bison fans. That would certainly place me in the company of fools, dont you think my friend?

Besides, what do you know about Minot State? They are a little weak on defense but a strong rushing team:

http://www.dakstats.com/WebSync/Pages/T ... &team=2250

The Bobcats were a decent team, overwhelmed in the end but a superior BISON Squad. The Bobcats may be overwhelmed in the end by a superior Beaver squad as well.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
Catattack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: MSU

Post by Catattack »

[youtube][/youtube]
CatBlitz22
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by CatBlitz22 »

JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Here is the Leopards schedule:
09/03/11 @ North Dakota State Fargo, N.D. TBA
09/10/11 at Georgetown * Washington, D.C. TBA
09/17/11 at Penn Philadelphia, Pa. TBA
09/24/11 at Stony Brook Stony Brook, N.Y. TBA
10/01/11 vs. Harvard Easton, Pa. 6:00 p.m. ET
10/08/11 Open TBD TBA
10/15/11 vs. Yale Easton, Pa. 6:00 p.m. ET
10/22/11 vs. Fordham Easton, Pa. 1:00 p.m. ET
10/29/11 vs. Bucknell * Easton, Pa. 6:00 p.m. ET
11/05/11 vs. Colgate * Easton, Pa. 6:00 p.m. ET
11/12/11 at Holy Cross * Worcester, Mass. TBA
11/19/11 at Lehigh (147th Meeting) * Bethlehem, Pa. TBA
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

ming01 wrote:
JBB wrote:From what I saw last season when NDSU visited Bozeman is that Minot might have a good chance.
just a blatant reminder that JBB does not represent the majority opinions of Bison fans. Level headed FCS fans obviously realize how good Montana St. was, they lead us with about 8 min left in the game and also didnt help that McGeehe went down
JaBBer doesn't represent the opinion of anything except maybe Zoloft.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

The Leopards, and all NDSU BISON opponents, will have to contend with DJ McNorton. In support of what I have been saying about the NFL quality backfield NDSU is going to have I invite you to read this about DJ McNorton. It comes from sporting network. He was selected one of the top 10 running backs in the FCS and this is what they had to say:

D.J. McNorton, North Dakota State, Sr., 5-10, 203 - The versatility of McNorton puts a scare into opponents. A superb athlete who will draw some NFL interest next year, he rushed for 1,559 yards and had 433 receiving yards last season, when the Bison won two FCS playoff games and reached the national quarterfinals. McNorton not only is elusive, but he has excellent vision. Defenders really have to wrap him up to bring him down.
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnf ... /index.htm

McNorton had 66 yds in the win against the Jayhawks last season. Seigers also had a good day. Fewer touches but just as effective with 1 reception.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

JBB wrote:Here is the Leopards schedule:
09/03/11 @ North Dakota State Fargo, N.D. TBA
09/10/11 at Georgetown * Washington, D.C. TBA
09/17/11 at Penn Philadelphia, Pa. TBA
09/24/11 at Stony Brook Stony Brook, N.Y. TBA
10/01/11 vs. Harvard Easton, Pa. 6:00 p.m. ET
10/08/11 Open TBD TBA
10/15/11 vs. Yale Easton, Pa. 6:00 p.m. ET
10/22/11 vs. Fordham Easton, Pa. 1:00 p.m. ET
10/29/11 vs. Bucknell * Easton, Pa. 6:00 p.m. ET
11/05/11 vs. Colgate * Easton, Pa. 6:00 p.m. ET
11/12/11 at Holy Cross * Worcester, Mass. TBA
11/19/11 at Lehigh (147th Meeting) * Bethlehem, Pa. TBA
NDSUs schedule:
Sat, Sep 03 Lafayette Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Sep 10 Saint Francis (Pa.) Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Sep 24 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. TBA
Sat, Oct 01 Illinois State (Homecoming) * Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Oct 08 Southern Illinois * at Carbondale, Ill. TBA
Sat, Oct 15 Missouri State * Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Oct 22 South Dakota State (Dakota Marker) * at Brookings, S.D. TBA
Sat, Oct 29 Northern Iowa (Harvest Bowl) * Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Nov 05 Indiana State * at Terre Haute, Ind. 1 p.m.
Sat, Nov 12 Youngstown State * Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Nov 19 Western Illinois * at Macomb, Ill. TBA
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

JBB wrote:
JBB wrote:Here is the Leopards schedule:
NDSUs schedule:
Sat, Sep 03 Lafayette Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Sep 10 Saint Francis (Pa.) Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Sep 24 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. TBA
Sat, Oct 01 Illinois State (Homecoming) * Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Oct 08 Southern Illinois * at Carbondale, Ill. TBA
Sat, Oct 15 Missouri State * Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Oct 22 South Dakota State (Dakota Marker) * at Brookings, S.D. TBA
Sat, Oct 29 Northern Iowa (Harvest Bowl) * Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Nov 05 Indiana State * at Terre Haute, Ind. 1 p.m.
Sat, Nov 12 Youngstown State * Fargo, N.D. TBA
Sat, Nov 19 Western Illinois * at Macomb, Ill. TBA
Looks like 6-5/5-6. Maybe 7-4 if Minnesota is worse than advertised. 8-)
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

You might be right, but if you are expect a lot of parity in the MVFC again this season. Im not sure we will see that again and there might be some separation. I like 8-3
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

JBB wrote:You might be right, but if you are expect a lot of parity in the MVFC again this season. Im not sure we will see that again and there might be some separation. I like 8-3

You'd have to beat Minnesota and SDSU and win your last three weeks in a row to do that. Might happen, but the better bet is against it. You go 7-4 this year and it will be a much tougher 7-4 than last year's fluke.
Tribe4SF
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: William and Mary

Post by Tribe4SF »

Good grief! :o

I've never been a Lafayette fan, but.....

Go Pards!!!
Go Tribe!!!
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

There are lots of ways to go 8-3. I see 8 solid wins and if any of the 3 losses turns into a win the record will be better.

The next challenge is of course the Leopards. Last year was an off year for them. They had a streak of 6 consecutive winning seasons and top 25 rankings. They return 8 starters on each side of the ball.
Seniors Scott Biel and Anthony Buffolino were All-Patriot selections on the offensive line at guard and tackle, respectively. Senior Kevin Doty was an All-Patriot League tight end, joining sophomore Pat Creahan who earned an all-conference nod at fullback.
This could hint at a real challenge for the NDSU passing game. Lots of questions for the BISON. This could be a stout test
Defensively, junior cornerback Brandon Ellis is a two-time All-Patriot League honoree, as he was selected to the First Team in 2010 and the Second team in 2009. He also garnered ESPN Academic All-District II honors in 2010. Ellis will help direct a secondary that returns all four starters and is the most experienced of any positional groupings on the team.
Senior Ryan O'Neil is back at QB. This is going to present another challenge to the BISON, this time to the pass defesnse
In 2010, O'Neil completed 67 percent (209-of-313) of his passes for 2,183 yards. He threw 15 touchdowns to seven interceptions while starting nine games. O'Neil finished the campaign ranked 23rd in the nation in passing efficiency (136.7) and 35th in total offense (223.8).
This game is going to be a good test for both teams. A first game for two teams that have aspirations. They are a Sr/Jr led club with a lot of experience.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

JBB wrote:There are lots of ways to go 8-3. I see 8 solid wins and if any of the 3 losses turns into a win the record will be better.

The next challenge is of course the Leopards. Last year was an off year for them. They had a streak of 6 consecutive winning seasons and top 25 rankings. They return 8 starters on each side of the ball.
Seniors Scott Biel and Anthony Buffolino were All-Patriot selections on the offensive line at guard and tackle, respectively. Senior Kevin Doty was an All-Patriot League tight end, joining sophomore Pat Creahan who earned an all-conference nod at ****.
This could hint at a real challenge for the NDSU passing game. Lots of questions for the BISON. This could be a stout test
Defensively, junior cornerback Brandon Ellis is a two-time All-Patriot League honoree, as he was selected to the First Team in 2010 and the Second team in 2009. He also garnered ESPN Academic All-District II honors in 2010. Ellis will help direct a secondary that returns all four starters and is the most experienced of any positional groupings on the team.
Senior Ryan O'Neil is back at QB. This is going to present another challenge to the BISON, this time to the pass defesnse
In 2010, O'Neil completed 67 percent (209-of-313) of his passes for 2,183 yards. He threw 15 touchdowns to seven interceptions while starting nine games. O'Neil finished the campaign ranked 23rd in the nation in passing efficiency (136.7) and 35th in total offense (223.8).
This game is going to be a good test for both teams. A first game for two teams that have aspirations. They are a Sr/Jr led club with a lot of experience.
They're non-scholarship, so that one is solid. I forgot about St. Francis, that means you need 8-3 to qualify for the playoff - huge games for NDSU will be SDSU, and YSU. If either of those two hangs your fourth loss on you, it's sayonarra post-season. YSU beat the stuffing out of you last year but lost in the last minute, and SDSU owns you in the marker game, which will be in Brookings. Given that you're going to lose to UM, UNI, and SIU, you have zero margin for error. I think the Jacks knock you out of the playoffs, and YSU is no sure win given how they outplayed you last year.

Does Lafayette count as a legitimate win for the playoffs? :?
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

St Francis is a counter game.
UNI FIGHT
mgbison
I am a fan of: ndsu

Post by mgbison »

Ysu beat the stuffing out us last year. I would like to hear your logic on that one. We did have to score on the last drive, but we missed a 20 yard field goal the series before to end the game. Considering we had the lead for about 75% of the game, I don't know how we got the stuffing beat out of us.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

mgbison wrote:Ysu beat the stuffing out us last year. I would like to hear your logic on that one. We did have to score on the last drive, but we missed a 20 yard field goal the series before to end the game. Considering we had the lead for about 75% of the game, I don't know how we got the stuffing beat out of us.
Let's put it this way: If the Bison hung 500 yds of offense on somebody, went 11-16 on 3rd down, vs. the opponents 2-8, controlled the clock in every quarter, but lost 3 fumbles and the game, the airwaves would be full of NDSU fans bleating about how they beat the stuffing out of the opponent, the opponent wasn't very physical, we beat ourselves with the fumbles......you know the drill...... :ohno:
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

It was a smashmouth football game with both teams pushing 500 yds in total offense and both having around 250 on the ground. It was a physical football game and contrary to your (haundawg) take it was actually the Penguins that got the stuffing knocked out of them.

Take a look at the 3 forced fumbles that YSU lost. Theres your clue. Thats where you see the seperation between the physical game YSU plays and the physical game NDSU plays. They simply got the ball knocked loose on 3 occations by some booming hits and couldnt recover.

In an even and well played game victory is found in the margins. Somethimes its a bill fette deal other times its physical supedriority. It can be anything, but in this game it was physical superiority on the part of the BISON (see 3 fumbles lost).
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

JBB wrote:It was a smashmouth football game with both teams pushing 500 yds in total offense and both having around 250 on the ground. It was a physical football game and contrary to your (haundawg) take it was actually the Penguins that got the stuffing knocked out of them.

Take a look at the 3 forced fumbles that YSU lost. Theres your clue. Thats where you see the seperation between the physical game YSU plays and the physical game NDSU plays. They simply got the ball knocked loose on 3 occations by some booming hits and couldnt recover.

In an even and well played game victory is found in the margins. Somethimes its a bill fette deal other times its physical supedriority. It can be anything, but in this game it was physical superiority on the part of the BISON (see 3 fumbles lost).
YSU's o line took it to you, 250 rushing and 25 first downs, and dominated the clock. By contrast half of NDSU's 200 rushing came on about three plays where defenders fell down. Jose saved the day with his arm.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

I think you are wrong and a bit lightheaded. Our yards were well earned. The record bares me out.

The Penguins earned the respect of the NDSU defense thats for sure. I dont think you can say the YSU defense earned your respect considering your knowledgeable critique of the game has their defense at the level of stumbling bumbling and oaf-like at least part of the time.

Of course the Salukis gave up over 200 yds rushing to the Penguins themselves. Couple of big differences, the Salukis lost and were only able to respond with 65 yds rushing of their own against that stumbling bumbling defense! :lol:

At any rate it counted as a win in an NDSU BISON Football Season that not only saw them give the SIU Salukis a good schooling in the game, it also saw the BISON overshadow all other teams in the MVFC.

What a year it was, up and down and then the story book run to the bill fette bowl and the fabulous top 10 finish in the national polls! Now the BISON are the favorites in the MVFC and certainly mentioned whenever the talk turns to the 2011 FCS National Championship. Yes The BISON have arrived!!

For the Salukis it was too many injuries, too many fumbles and just plain poor play I guess.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

The Leopards do a nice job with their recruiting. Here is a look at the 2011 commits:

The Leopards' coaching staff recruited 15 defensive and 13 offensive players among the class. Offensively, there are six offensive linemen, three wide receivers, two quarterbacks, one tailback and one tight end. Defensively, five linemen and five linebackers are coming to campus along with four defensive backs and a kicker/punter.
They recruit far and wide
The members of the Class of 2015 come to College Hill from 12 states, with 11 players from Pennsylvania, five from New Jersey, two each from Connecticut and Georgia and one player from California, Florida, Maryland, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio and Virginia.
Physical players:
The offensive linemen average 6-4, 285 pounds and the defensive linemen will average 6-4, 225 to go along with a 6-3, 250-pound punter/kicker. There are three players named Zach/Zack on the list.
Where there is tradition there is a competitive team:
The Leopard football program has been a consistent winner, seeing just two losing seasons in the last nine. Lafayette lays claim to Patriot League titles in 1992, 1994, 2004, 2005 and 2006. In 2010, the Leopards went 2-9, snapping a streak of six seasons with a winning record while also being nationally ranked.
Here is a link to their recruiting page complete with video for every player:
http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-foot ... 11aam.html
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Although all BISON eyes are focused on the next opponent, The Leopards from College Hill in Layafette, a little news broke today concerning future schedules. It appears The CornHuskers have been on the phone with the NDSU BISON Football Conglomerate looking for a game in 2015. This was a welcome call and the BISON faithful are looking forward to the game if it does work out. The Big 10 and The Big 12 are good conferences for NDSU to schedule FBS games.
Last edited by JBB on Thu May 12, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatBlitz22
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by CatBlitz22 »

JBB wrote:Although all BISON eyes are focused on the next opponent, The Leopards from College Hill in Layafette, a little news broke today concerning future schedules. It appears The CornHuskers have been on the phone with the NDSU BISON Football Conglomerate looking for a game in 2015. This was a welcome call and the BISON fateful are looking forward to the game if it does work out. The Big 10 and The Big 12 are good conferences for NDSU to schedule FBS games.
70-0 NDSU.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

<<<<<<<<<<<<<IMMEDIATE RELEASE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

NDSU QB JOSE MOHLER ANNOUNCES TRANSFER TO UNKNOWN SCHOOL BETTER FITTING HIS SKILL SET.

NDSU HEAD COACH CRAIG BOHL AND THE BISON FOOTBALL COMMUNITY WISH HIM WELL.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>/end<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<