Football Championship Subdivision discussions
OpieGSU
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Opie

Jeff Monken is a PIMP.

Post by OpieGSU »

Nice knowing you, FCS. We're not long for this division. I think we finally have somebody in charge who gets it. Sammy Baker's days are numbered.
http://www.statesboroherald.com/section ... cle/32211/

Monken expects construction on a 50,000-square-foot, $10 million football-operations facility to begin in October at Paulson Stadium.

Construction for the building, which is expected to be completed by the opening kickoff of the 2012 season, is a project being spearheaded by Monken and GSU’s second-year president.
“It’s led by Dr. Brooks Keel, our president, who by the way is the finest president at any college anywhere in America. I believe that,” Monken said. “We could not have found a better president for Georgia Southern at this time in our history.”

The facility, which will overlook the field at Paulson opposite the Bishop Field House, will be home to football offices, meeting rooms, a player’s lounge, a home locker room, a 12,000-square-foot weight room, a trainer’s room, an equipment room and a football Hall of Fame.

“It will be absolutely the best football facility at the [Football Championship Subdivision] level anywhere in the country,” said Monken. “There’s a lot of people who have built new football facilities in the last few years, and this one will be the best.
“Once, Georgia Southern was the envy of every I-AA team in the country, not only with the way we played, but with our facility, our stadium, our fans. I want to continue to be the envy of the nation and the top program – not only with the way we play – but with our facility and the things that we do with our players off the field.”

While the short-term benefits of the facility include help with recruiting, day-to-day operations and the overall gameday experience, the stadium upgrade could potentially have future implications, too.

“My hope is to be the best program at this level,” Monken said. “If there were ever the opportunity to go to the next level, I’d like to have us positioned so that we can do that, so that we can say, ‘Yep. We want to do it, and we can do it. We’ve got the football facility and we’ve got the stadium,’ which would be the next step – to increase the size of the stadium and give us more seats. We’d have the opportunity to join a league at the next level if the right opportunity presented itself. Again, that’s for Dr. Keel and our administration to decide. Whatever’s best for Georgia Southern University, I’m behind. Obviously, Dr. Keel feels like this is an important step. It’s certainly going to help our program, and I’m in support of that.”
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Jeff Monken is a PIMP.

Post by SeattleGriz »

Where is the crickets emoticon?

Bitch, Montana will not cede anything to the inbred. Even if you roll out hookers and blackjack, GSU will be a second class citizen for gameday experience.

Once again, all my love to the GSU faithful outside of Hopie!
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SIU's is better. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

OpieGSU wrote:Nice knowing you, FCS. We're not long for this division. I think we finally have somebody in charge who gets it. Sammy Baker's days are numbered.
So you're not only a drama queen and hypocrit, but apparently a blowhard as well. Good job. :coffee:
ChetSteadman
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mustangs
A.K.A.: Rocket

Post by ChetSteadman »

Joey-Georgia southern is the envy of no one, save some Africans who wish they could have some of he flies that buzz around your eagle creek drainage ditch. BVG made sure of that buzz
Last edited by ChetSteadman on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
State Line Liquors
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by State Line Liquors »

Talcum powder endorsement is in the works...
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

Best of luck to GA Southern. Hope your fund raising is quick and successful and you can regain your glory from bygone days. Would have loved to have you stay in FCS, until we got to know opie....
OpieGSU
Level1
Level1

Post by OpieGSU »

EWURanger wrote:
OpieGSU wrote:Nice knowing you, FCS. We're not long for this division. I think we finally have somebody in charge who gets it. Sammy Baker's days are numbered.
So you're not only a drama queen and hypocrit, but apparently a blowhard as well. Good job.
Hypocrite has an 'e" on the end, scumbag.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

OpieGSU wrote:
EWURanger wrote:
So you're not only a drama queen and hypocrit, but apparently a blowhard as well. Good job.
Hypocrite has an 'e" on the end, scumbag.
Kettle, have you met Pot?
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
OpieGSU
Level1
Level1

Post by OpieGSU »

Typical FCS fans. Jealous as hell of progress and at any hint of moving up. So pathetic.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

OpieGSU wrote:Typical FCS fans. Jealous as hell of progress and at any hint of moving up. So pathetic.
Plenty of FBS boards out there. Might want to check them out. Or even your GSU board.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Monarchs, Gators, Huskies

Post by ODUalum11 »

sounds like its going to be a nice facility, any renderings of what its actually going to look like? Georgia State fans must be hating themselves right now.
mlbowl
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by mlbowl »

OpieGSU wrote:Typical FCS fans. Jealous as hell of progress and at any hint of moving up. So pathetic.

Hurry...the WAC is waiting!...better yet, how 'bout the Sun Belch :lol: Adiós.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. - Coach Finstock
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

Post by Aho Old Guy »

ODUalum11 wrote:sounds like its going to be a nice facility, any renderings of what its actually going to look like? Georgia State fans must be hating themselves right now.
New football-operations facility at The Stink
"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Appalachian State

Post by ASUMountaineer »

Nice. Maybe Monken can position himself to accept a position with ASU when he's ready to move up to the next level. CUSA will be a far jump from the SoCon, at least in your eyes. :lol:

I'm only kidding Opie, who knows if ASU will get that rumored invite to CUSA--we can only hope. With that said, I did take issue with one statement. I don't see how that 50,000 square foot facility will be the best in the FCS when ASU's is only a couple of years old and 120,000 square feet, or 2.5 times larger.

He'll get to see it on Black Saturday this season, take a look (hopefully the result is better than last year's result at Paulson).

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?D ... =204989211
Appalachian State Mountaineers:

National Champions: 2005, 2006, and 2007
Southern Conference Champions: 1986, 1987, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! WE'RE GONNA SHOUT IT! NOTHING'S HOTTER THAN A-S-U!
CatBlitz22
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by CatBlitz22 »

You have one recharged season after a bunch of failure and you think you can be successful moving up. Enjoy sitting with WKU, dipshit.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

Aho Old Guy wrote:
ODUalum11 wrote:sounds like its going to be a nice facility, any renderings of what its actually going to look like? Georgia State fans must be hating themselves right now.
New football-operations facility at The Stink
haha, good one! :lol:
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

CatBlitz22 wrote:You have one recharged season after a bunch of failure and you think you can be successful moving up. Enjoy sitting with WKU, dipshit.
:clap:

Justin Halpern
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

grizzaholic wrote:
CatBlitz22 wrote:You have one recharged season after a bunch of failure and you think you can be successful moving up. Enjoy sitting with WKU, dipshit.
:clap:
It's also sad when you have fans of a local start-up program talking $hit about Georgia Southern. I've seen Georgia State fans talking smack about the "other" GSU over on panthertalk.com.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

ASUMountaineer wrote: I don't see how that 50,000 square foot facility will be the best in the FCS when ASU's is only a couple of years old and 120,000 square feet, or 2.5 times larger.

He'll get to see it on Black Saturday this season, take a look (hopefully the result is better than last year's result at Paulson).

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?D ... =204989211
The difference is your 120,000 square foot facility is the home for all 20 of your sport programs. This 50,000 square ft.+ facility will be for football only. For example, according to ASU, your athletics training facility is 9,000 square ft. and again, it houses all 20 of your programs. The one in our new building is 12,000 sq.ft. and will be for football only.

As of now, on paper, it looks as if GSU will have the premier football operations facility in all FCS. We'll see what the actual results are when our new building is completed and opens to the public.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

ODUalum11 wrote:
grizzaholic wrote: :clap:
It's also sad when you have fans of a local start-up program talking $hit about Georgia Southern. I've seen Georgia State fans talking smack about the "other" GSU over on panthertalk.com.
Really? That is bad. Bunch of uneducated fools if they are talking shit about GSU's program.

Justin Halpern
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

I've seen the artist's renderings and it's VERY impressive, but the plans haven't been finalized and won't be released until then. In May, the plans were 70% completed so it shouldn't be too much longer.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Baldy wrote:
I've seen the artist's renderings and it's VERY impressive, but the plans haven't been finalized and won't be released until then. In May, the plans were 70% completed so it shouldn't be too much longer.
I'd better write a check to the Eagle Club STAT! ;)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

No, only self-righteous blowhards who think their shit doesn't stink. :coffee:
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

Baldy wrote:
ok thanks baldy! :thumb: