Football Championship Subdivision discussions
weberwildcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: WEEber State
A.K.A.: WeberHoops.com

Best FCS Stadium Now In Bozeman, MT?

Post by weberwildcat »

IS the new MSU stadium now the best in FCS?

i cant post a link. i am too tired.
Green Cookie Monster
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Sacramento State

Re: Best FCS Stadium Now In Bozeman, MT?

Post by Green Cookie Monster »

No, I am too lazy to post why.
Big McLargehuge
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Big McLargehuge »

Does anyone have a picture of the one in Missoula? I hear it's okay.
Pittsburgh Penguins|Pittsburgh Steelers|Pittsburgh Pirates
Willie
Level4
Level4

Post by Willie »

According to JMU, theirs is the best in FCS now.
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
cats2506
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: MSU Bobcats

Post by cats2506 »

weberwildcat wrote:IS the new MSU stadium now the best in FCS?

i cant post a link. i am too tired.

I think it is certainly up there, but "best" is hard to say
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Here's JMU's
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Those are both nice. They both lick the erector set known as Hornet Stadium hollow without even trying.

But I wouldn't even begin to say they beat WA/Griz or some of the nice places in Ivy Country. I also suspect that App and Delaware fans might have something to say about that, too.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Here's JMU's
My question is...without hijacking this thread though it's bound to happen. How the f is JMU going to get the other side to that same scale with those buildings right behind the stands like that.

I know they will move the front row towards the field more, but those stands are going to have to be straight up and down and require a ladder to get to your seat with a 4 point harness holding you in
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

[youtube][/youtube]
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

clenz wrote:
My question is...without hijacking this thread though it's bound to happen. How the f is JMU going to get the other side to that same scale with those buildings right behind the stands like that.

I know they will move the front row towards the field more, but those stands are going to have to be straight up and down and require a ladder to get to your seat with a 4 point harness holding you in
You make a very good point, clenz. A possible model: the LA Colliseum. Those seats are so steep that when I was there for Promise Keepers, I thought I was going to fall all the way to the field.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Steep stadium = good sightlines... and better noise as the fans are right on top of the other team.

The steeper the stadium, the better, imo.

Michigan Stadium is a great example of a stadium built "out" instead of "up."

Complete shite, imo:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Steep stadium = good sightlines... and better noise as the fans are right on top of the other team.

Complete shite, imo:
Actually with the new pressboxes Michigan stadium holds sound really really well.

Also remember, most of these other massive stadiums are pretty new. Michigan Stadium has been around since 1926
JayJ79
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: myself

Post by JayJ79 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Steep stadium = good sightlines... and better noise as the fans are right on top of the other team.

Big McLargehuge
Level1
Level1

Post by Big McLargehuge »

Complete shite, imo:

No doubt about it. The first football game I ever went to was the 1998 Pitt-Penn State game at old Pitt Stadium...the fourth quarter of blowouts at Wa-Griz are louder than that was...and I don't mean that as one bit of a slight to Pitt or Penn State, but the sound just goes right up and left the stadium. Like Michigan Stadium it was built so half the thing was underground too, which didn't help.

Still far steeper than Michigan Stadium. On the sides the seats were actually extremely steep.
Pittsburgh Penguins|Pittsburgh Steelers|Pittsburgh Pirates
LDopaPDX
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by LDopaPDX »

I don't like stadiums that have so much emphasis on the endzones... both Montana and Montana State seem that way to me. Montana almost seemed like they wanted 2/3 of their fans in the endzone until they finally went with a vertical terrace a couple of years back.

Portland State's stadium is now going to be up there among the best in the Big Sky, but since they are a modified baseball stadium, their luxury boxes are actually at about the goalline to 20 yardline.
LDopaPDX
Level1
Level1

Post by LDopaPDX »

This is a great example of a stadium built up and not out... this is the 81,000 seat Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund, Germany. It is home to BVB Dortmund, the reigning Bundesliga Champions and 1997 Champions League winner. It started in the 1920 as a 15,000 regional soccer stadium and was thrice increased in size. Interesting fact, when the Allies were indiscrimately bombing Germany in 1944 and 45, they carpet bombed the area around the stadium. An unexploded British bomb was found 5 feet UNDER THE PITCH a decade ago. They had to postpone a game while it was unearthed and removed.

The area at the end of this view is known as the Sudtribune, and is fenced off from the rest of the stadium. They offer 10 Euro tickets and it is freestadning--- no sitting allowed. It is the most popular place to catch a game for the 15,000 or so that can get tickets...

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

clenz wrote:

They have plenty of space (well maybe not plenty but enough). That picture just makes it seem like the other side won't fit. And yeah, they'll move the rows towards the field more just like they did with the completed side.
LDopaPDX
Level1
Level1

Post by LDopaPDX »

For sheer oddity, this is a stadium worth visiting. This is Frank Clair Stadium in Ottawa... it is currently under construction, so this picture is from a couple of years ago. To my knowledge, it is the only stadium that is dual purpose for football (outdoors) and hockey (indoors).

The grandstand in the foreground caps the side of a structure that has an ice surface below.

Here you see the interior view from an Ottawa 67s game. The pillars of the stadium push upwards from the shorter leftside stands. The seating area to the left is called "the asylum" and is known for having some of the most violent hockey fans in the world.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

LDopaPDX wrote:I don't like stadiums that have so much emphasis on the endzones... both Montana and Montana State seem that way to me. Montana almost seemed like they wanted 2/3 of their fans in the endzone until they finally went with a vertical terrace a couple of years back.

Portland State's stadium is now going to be up there among the best in the Big Sky, but since they are a modified baseball stadium, their luxury boxes are actually at about the goalline to 20 yardline.
That's a good way for stadia to get a reputation. The fans that go there can be crazies; just ask the Black Hole Raiders fans or those that regularly attend the Dog Pound in Cleveland. I believe one of Montana's end zones fits this bill, though they're probably not insane like those Raiders and Browns fans.

Unless you separate college and professional stadia in this regard, Dopa. Personally, I prefer to get as close to field level at the 50 yard line on MY team's side as I can, but some like the end zone view. To each his/her own.

:mrgreen:

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

HELL NO.

From someone who has been to multiple game in Bozeman, they are way to redneck. Total turds.

Yes, I know this is an all inclusive, "I love you brother" board, but I have NEVER, EVER been treated well in Bozeman for a game.

I talk big shit on this board, but am really an easy going person. Fuck no. Bozeman is horrible for attending fans.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

LDopaPDX wrote:This is a great example of a stadium built up and not out... this is the 81,000 seat Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund, Germany. It is home to BVB Dortmund, the reigning Bundesliga Champions and 1997 Champions League winner. It started in the 1920 as a 15,000 regional soccer stadium and was thrice increased in size. Interesting fact, when the Allies were indiscrimately bombing Germany in 1944 and 45, they carpet bombed the area around the stadium. An unexploded British bomb was found 5 feet UNDER THE PITCH a decade ago. They had to postpone a game while it was unearthed and removed.

The area at the end of this view is known as the Sudtribune, and is fenced off from the rest of the stadium. They offer 10 Euro tickets and it is freestadning--- no sitting allowed. It is the most popular place to catch a game for the 15,000 or so that can get tickets...

Great stadium, right up there with Allianz Arena. :thumb:
bpcats
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by bpcats »

I think MSU would probably be in the top 10 FCS stadiums pretty easily.

Our fans are right on top of the field (no track and field between players and fans...)
New sound system
One of the better scoreboards at our level (guys who designed it have a few video screens up in times square).

Still have to give the edge to Montana.. It's been a long time since the original stands were put in and this new addition.

Haven't seen Portland State new stadium but looks nice, and NAU sunk a bunch of money into their facilities this past summer.
cats2506
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: MSU Bobcats

Post by cats2506 »

SeattleGriz wrote:HELL NO.

From someone who has been to multiple game in Bozeman, they are way to redneck. Total turds.

Yes, I know this is an all inclusive, "I love you brother" board, but I have NEVER, EVER been treated well in Bozeman for a game.

I talk big **** on this board, but am really an easy going person. **** no. Bozeman is horrible for attending fans.
:lol: :lol: Its only bad for you if your a griz fan, same thing happens to Cat fans in Missoula.
big_meowski
I am a fan of: Montana State
A.K.A.: tater salad

Post by big_meowski »

no...

WaGriz is a pretty awesome place to watch a football game, and PSU sells beer. not quite, but getting closer.
redo the east side bleachers and add skyboxes and we'll talk....
Last edited by big_meowski on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArmyOfDarkness
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UofM

Post by ArmyOfDarkness »

These are the best IMO, and in no particular order... (excludes pro stadiums being "borrowed")

JMU
App State
Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Penn
Montana
Montana State
Liberty
Chatty
ODU

Off the top of my head (also without having seen most of these in person).
Well hello Mister Fancypants. I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things right now: Jack and sh¡t... and Jack left town. - Ash