Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SeawolvesFan90
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Stony Brook University
A.K.A.: Seawolves

#22 Stony Brook at #1 Sam Houston State Gamethread

Post by SeawolvesFan90 »

Lets have a talk of this game. Should be great. Stony Brook is coming off a great comeback victory, 31-28, against Albany to improve to 9 straight wins. Now the head over to Texas to play against undefeated #1 SHS in what should be a tougggggh game for us.
Stony Brook Fans, Join us at http://www.sbufan.createaforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go Seawolves!!
htownbearkat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SHSU

Re: #22 Stony Brook at #1 Sam Houston State Gamethread

Post by htownbearkat »

Cant wait for the game on Saturday. I think both teams have good offenses. The difference in this game will be Sam Houston's Defense. I think the Bearkats speed will overwhelm the seawolves and they will pull away in the 3rd quarter.

Predictions- SHSU 35 SB 14
http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/ ... RKNADO.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I think Sam Houston is over-rated at #1. It amazes me that the committee continues to seed teams that do well in the Southland highly given the performance of such teams in the playoffs in recent years. As I've said before I think Sam Houston would be a middle of the pack team in leagues like the CAA and MVC.

But a middle of the pack team in the CAA or MVC is usually pretty darned good in the context of FCS overall. So Stoney Brook is going to have a tough row to hoe.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Aside from pass defense, these two teams are quite similar statistically. I see this being a defensive game even though these are the top 2 in scoring offense; they both like to run a lot & they both stop the run well. The Bearkats will play a closer game than they're used to, but they'll get a couple more big plays than the Seawolves.

Here's my assessment of the matchups & my pick for the game:

• Quarterbacks -- Sam Houston St.

Running Backs - Stony Brook

Receivers/TEs - Stony Brook

Offensive Line - Sam Houston St.

Defensive Line - Sam Houston St.

Linebackers --- (push)

Secondary ---- Sam Houston St.

Kicking ------ Stony Brook

Punting ------ Sam Houston St.

Return Teams - Stony Brook

Kickoffs ------ Sam Houston St.

• Stony Brook 17-27 Sam Houston St.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SHSU by 10
:thumb:
Knucklehead
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: LIBERTY

Post by Knucklehead »

I think this will be a close one with SHSU winning by one score. I'm thinking SHSU 28 SBU 24
McNeese72
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: McNeese

Post by McNeese72 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:Running Backs - Stony Brook
Just don't underestimate Flanders. He is good.

Doc
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

McNeese72 wrote:
BJuice
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Charleston Southern Univ.

Post by BJuice »

Go Stony Brook!!!
Seawolf97
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: StonyBrook
A.K.A.: SBU

Post by Seawolf97 »

I think if we dont beat ourselves and play like we did against UTEP we make this a very close game.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

McNeese72 wrote:

Doc
I didn't, but Stony Brook has 2 backs that average over 100 ypg.
SeawolvesFan90
Level1
Level1

Post by SeawolvesFan90 »

Starting to believe the SHS wont be able to stop the Jackolski-Maysonet duo
Stony Brook Fans, Join us at http://www.sbufan.createaforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go Seawolves!!
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

Go Seawolves!

I just threw up in my mouth. :puke:
htownbearkat
Level1
Level1

Post by htownbearkat »

SeawolvesFan90 wrote:Starting to believe the SHS wont be able to stop the Jackolski-Maysonet duo
Well stop, because you are just setting yourself up for heartbreak come saturday.
Jackolski-Maysone will be shut down, forcing Essington to pass way too much and eventually he will throw a couple of picks.

Bearkats will roll this week.
http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/ ... RKNADO.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SeawolvesFan90
Level1
Level1

Post by SeawolvesFan90 »

htownbearkat wrote:
SeawolvesFan90 wrote:Starting to believe the SHS wont be able to stop the Jackolski-Maysonet duo
Well stop, because you are just setting yourself up for heartbreak come saturday.
Jackolski-Maysone will be shut down, forcing Essington to pass way too much and eventually he will throw a couple of picks.

Are you really suggesting that a fan stops believing in his team?... Interesting... Whether is a heartbreak for me or for you tomorrow it doesn't matter. I am a fan and I believe in what this team has done all season long. Down 18 to Albany last week, I did not stop believing, They didn't stop believing either and that's why they WON! They can do it tomorrow also. Your team is ranked number one, they are great, but that doesn't mean they winning. Its football after all. They Seawolves have a nine game winning streak on the line, SHSU has eleven. Both teams are playing very well so... I'll Keep believing on my team

GO BROOK!

Go Seawolves!!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Knucklehead wrote:I think this will be a close one with SHSU winning by one score. I'm thinking SHSU 28 SBU 24
If SHSU only wins by 4, AT HOME, against a Big South team, then they shouldn't be the #1 seed in the playoffs.

If they truly want to be taken seriously they need to win this game by 17+.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeawolvesFan90
Level1
Level1

Post by SeawolvesFan90 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:I think this will be a close one with SHSU winning by one score. I'm thinking SHSU 28 SBU 24
If SHSU only wins by 4, AT HOME, against a Big South team, then they shouldn't be the #1 seed in the playoffs.

Ya take this conference crap too damn seriously....

Go Seawolves!!
htownbearkat
Level1
Level1

Post by htownbearkat »

SeawolvesFan90 wrote:
htownbearkat wrote:

Are you really suggesting that a fan stops believing in his team?... Interesting... Whether is a heartbreak for me or for you tomorrow it doesn't matter. I am a fan and I believe in what this team has done all season long. Down 18 to Albany last week, I did not stop believing, They didn't stop believing either and that's why they WON! They can do it tomorrow also. Your team is ranked number one, they are great, but that doesn't mean they winning. Its football after all. They Seawolves have a nine game winning streak on the line, SHSU has eleven. Both teams are playing very well so... I'll Keep believing on my team

GO BROOK!
Actually we have a 13 game winning streak, but whos counting.
Ill like your moxy kid, you must be a face painter.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeawolvesFan90 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

What do you mean?

Big South is a notoriously weak conference.

Southland is a notoriously weak conference, but with the #1 seed in the entire playoffs. If SHSU wants to prove to the rest of the playoff field they're for real, they need to absolutely ROLL SBU tomorrow.

FYI: I don't think they will. I think Knucklehead is about right on the score. :nod: :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeawolvesFan90
Level1
Level1

Post by SeawolvesFan90 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
SeawolvesFan90 wrote:
What do you mean?

Southland is a notoriously weak conference, but with the #1 seed in the entire playoffs. If SHSU wants to prove to the rest of the playoff field they're for real, they need to absolutely ROLL SBU tomorrow.

FYI: I don't think they will. I think Knucklehead is about right on the score. :nod: :nod:
I think that score doesn't matter in the playoffs. Its about winning. SHS is the #1 team because they are 11-0 (wit good victories) and they totally deserve it. Whether they win their games with a 8 point margin or 41 doesn't matter. The point is winning the game. For you to doubt their #1 status based on margin of victory for me is idiotic.

If they win 21-19 tomorrow they deserve the #1 seed, the same applies if they win 41-10... got me?

Go Seawolves!!
htownbearkat
Level1
Level1

Post by htownbearkat »

AZGrizFan wrote:
SeawolvesFan90 wrote:
What do you mean?

It wont matter if we win by 3 or 30 tomorrow, the haters will still hate. Thats why the FCS playoffs are so friggen awesome. Everything will work it self out.
Since the Big Sky teams are so good it should matter not that you have to play in Huntsville.
Seawolf97
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: StonyBrook
A.K.A.: SBU

Post by Seawolf97 »

Agree 100%. Who ever wins on Saturday will have a very tough road after that. I dont expect we will win the whole thing . Back when the season started we were completely off everyones radar. Hey I expect to back next season also-expectations are now high for this team.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

It wont matter if we win by 3 or 30 tomorrow, the haters will still hate. Thats why the FCS playoffs are so friggen awesome. Everything will work it self out.
Since the Big Sky teams are so good it should matter not that you have to play in Huntsville.
I know you're all excited because your team blew threw the Southland but I think you're in for a big disappointment when Sam Houston State starts playing playoff caliber teams from the power conferences. And I don't think the games being in Huntsville is going to matter.

It's not a matter of "hating." It's a matter of being objective and looking at the schedule Sam Houston State has played and the conference it's in.

But you're right about the playoff system. What will happen will happen. I'm just saying I THINK poeple are WAY over estimating this Sam Houston State team by seeding them number 1 or even seeding them in the top 4 at all.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Southland is a notoriously weak conference,
I'd say it's a notoriously mediocre conference. Kind of middle of the pack. Among auto bid leagues, over time, weaker than the CAA, Southern, MVC, and Big Sky but stonger than the MEAC, OVC, Patriot, Big South, and Northeast. They do win playoff games from time to time and do show up sometimes in regular season interconference games. Like SFA winning at UNI last year and McNeese winning at Appalachian State the year before.

Nevertheless, I think Sam Houston State fans who think the BearKats are "all that" because they blew through the Southland this year without being challenged are in for a reality check when their team starts running into the better teams from the Big Sky and possibly the CAA even if they do have home field advantage.

Kind of like SFA was in for a reality check when it hosted Villanova last year and McNeese was after they blew through the Southland without being challenged in 2007 but got waxed at home by Eastern Washington in the first playoff game.
Could I ever be a star?

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Sam 34, SB 17