Football Championship Subdivision discussions
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Lehigh WR goes racial on Twitter - gets SUSPENDED

Post by GannonFan »

gail wrote:How does anyone learn the ideal of fairness when there is such blatant abuse of fair treatment as demonstrated in this case? THE WORDS WERE NOT HIS- simply repeated. He did not atain dean's list status, All American status and complete respect from his coaches, teammates and the press by being a racist. It is an absolute crime to devastate an intelligent young man at the height of his career. Nice work defeating a good person NCAA.
Seriously, guys, you're sounding pathetic. He's a white guy, tweeting something in his own name, using a widely accepted racial slur. For someone who is supposedly so intelligent and accomplished, he did a very stupid thing. What's sad is that we didn't hear all these Lehigh people defending what he did until after he was suspended. Most were agreeing that he did something wrong after he and the coach apologized - now that the football game could be impacted the same people saying what he did was wrong are now saying that it wasn't so bad. Priorities seem a bit askew in Bethlehem. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote:
gail wrote:How does anyone learn the ideal of fairness when there is such blatant abuse of fair treatment as demonstrated in this case? THE WORDS WERE NOT HIS- simply repeated. He did not atain dean's list status, All American status and complete respect from his coaches, teammates and the press by being a racist. It is an absolute crime to devastate an intelligent young man at the height of his career. Nice work defeating a good person NCAA.
Seriously, guys, you're sounding pathetic. He's a white guy, tweeting something in his own name, using a widely accepted racial slur. For someone who is supposedly so intelligent and accomplished, he did a very stupid thing. What's sad is that we didn't hear all these Lehigh people defending what he did until after he was suspended. Most were agreeing that he did something wrong after he and the coach apologized - now that the football game could be impacted the same people saying what he did was wrong are now saying that it wasn't so bad. Priorities seem a bit askew in Bethlehem. :coffee:
It's a Pennsylvania thing.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
It's a Pennsylvania thing.
You do realize I'm from PA? But yeah, there are whackos in PA that take football way too seriously and will overlook things just because of football.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

bluehenbillk wrote:
catbob wrote:Question is, would the NCAA have suspended Cam Newton before the NC game if he did the exact same thing?

That is a big fat NO.
Last time I checked Cam Newton is black you fool.
Yeah nigga, don't you know nothin.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote:
Would it have made any difference if he was black?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GrizFan5
Level1
Level1

Post by GrizFan5 »

I don't believe it was intended or used as a racial slur. What was intended and how it was used is important to the analysis. Lots of kids, not all of whom are black, talk that way these days. It's in rap music. The kid merely repeated what a friend had said to him, in a tweet of all things.

This action by the NCAA shows how little the NCAA understands the modern day world of kids. It is a horrible precedent for the NCAA to take. In this situation, it is a double standard to overlook blacks talking this way, as well as to overlook using derogatory words and slang at women and whites, but take an action like this against a white kid. Just for the record, I am a person of color, but I don't believe people of color should be given a free pass on things like this. One of the reasons I believe this is because I think it hurts the cause of racial equality and fairness an unfair action like this is taken. There are a heck of alot worse things being said on twitter than what the Lehigh kid said.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

GrizFan5 wrote:I don't believe it was intended or used as a racial slur. What was intended and how it was used is important to the analysis. Lots of kids, not all of whom are black, talk that way these days. It's in rap music. The kid merely repeated what a friend had said to him, in a tweet of all things.

This action by the NCAA shows how little the NCAA understands the modern day world of kids. It is a horrible precedent for the NCAA to take. In this situation, it is a double standard to overlook blacks talking this way, as well as to overlook using derogatory words and slang at women and whites, but take an action like this against a white kid. Just for the record, I am a person of color, but I don't believe people of color should be given a free pass on things like this. One of the reasons I believe this is because I think it hurts the cause of racial equality and fairness an unfair action like this is taken. There are a heck of alot worse things being said on twitter than what the Lehigh kid said.
Agreed. I could find without even trying, at least 5 different players posting worse than that on social media and the NCAA would do jack shit.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Tubby Raymond

Post by Tubby Raymond »

GannonFan wrote:
I love ya GF but you might wanna take that pole out of your arse
LastMinuteman
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UMass

Post by LastMinuteman »

[youtube][/youtube]
gail
I am a fan of: lehigh

Post by gail »

It is such a leaky bag of crap - wonder if the all mighty Towson would have even brought this up if they had won? Nothing more obvious than sour grapes and poor, poor sportsmanship on Towson's part.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

gail wrote:It is such a leaky bag of crap - wonder if the all mighty Towson would have even brought this up if they had won? Nothing more obvious than sour grapes and poor, poor sportsmanship on Towson's part.
So tell me how is Towson involved? :?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
The Kicker
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Football
A.K.A.: K

Post by The Kicker »

gail wrote:It is such a leaky bag of crap - wonder if the all mighty Towson would have even brought this up if they had won? Nothing more obvious than sour grapes and poor, poor sportsmanship on Towson's part.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Damn Strait! How dare they be a target to a racial comment from the opposing team. That's just poor sportsmanship Towson! Towson you better do a better job of not being a target of racial comments, until then you won't see any sportsmanship awards.
rkwittem
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: North Dakota State

Post by rkwittem »

FargoBison wrote:
Lehigh1985 wrote:
The NCAA statement did not mention "Taunting". It simply said use of the word, whteher intentional or not was unsportsmanlike. The Five NDSU players used it intentionally and were not using someone else's quote. They therefore acted in an identical unsportsmanlike manner. By giving them a pass you're essentially creating an unacceptable racially based exception. That is wrong. and as others speculated, would CAm Newton be held out of a championship game for using the term cracker? Absolutely not and everyone knows it. What we have is a very clear double standard. The NCAA must back up their policy and consider any "use" of the word, intentional or not, subject to equal punishment.
The five NDSU players were talking about random things with their teammates, which is completely different than talking about the team you are playing against before the game.

Using the word is not what got Spadola suspended, it was the way in which he used it.. directly describing the team he was playing against. Can you not understand that? It isn't a hard concept to grasp?

Again I don't think he should have been suspended but other people may think differently....different people react in different ways to that word.
This.

Referring to your opponent racially is quite different from using the term colloquially. This is the distinction the NCAA is making.
lakesbison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU
A.K.A.: lakesbison

Post by lakesbison »

why isnt he suspended for ENTIRE playoffs?

gail wrote:
It is such a leaky bag of crap - wonder if the all mighty Towson would have even brought this up if they had won? Nothing more obvious than sour grapes and poor, poor sportsmanship on Towson's part.

Gail. which guy are you trying to bang on lehigh? just a pathetic quote up there.
State Line Liquors
Level2
Level2

Post by State Line Liquors »

lakesbison wrote:why isnt he suspended for ENTIRE playoffs?

Effectively, he has been. :thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

andy7171 wrote:
So tell me how is Towson involved? :?
I knew it!!!! It's Andy's fault! :rofl:
mthwkfan
I am a fan of: Lehigh

Re: Lehigh WR goes racial on Twitter

Post by mthwkfan »

bluehenbillk wrote:
danefan wrote:Interesting that there are rumors the NCAA suspended him for the NDSU game.

If true, I call BS.

There are about 100 examples of other players wit the same language not getting suspended, including a WR from NDSU.
You have any links to back up your claim of 100 parallel examples? I think I would have heard of 1-2% of them at least... :coffee:
Go look at NDSU WR Ryan Smith's twitter account (@ryguy_4) and his tweet on Nov 13. He says himself that the tweet is racist
FargoBison
Level2
Level2

Re: Lehigh WR goes racial on Twitter

Post by FargoBison »

mthwkfan wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:
You have any links to back up your claim of 100 parallel examples? I think I would have heard of 1-2% of them at least... :coffee:
Go look at NDSU WR Ryan Smith's twitter account (@ryguy_4) and his tweet on Nov 13. He says himself that the tweet is racist
You need to go seek some mental help for your obsession.
Lehigh1985
I am a fan of: Lehigh

Post by Lehigh1985 »

rkwittem wrote:
FargoBison wrote:
The five NDSU players were talking about random things with their teammates, which is completely different than talking about the team you are playing against before the game.

Using the word is not what got Spadola suspended, it was the way in which he used it.. directly describing the team he was playing against. Can you not understand that? It isn't a hard concept to grasp?

Again I don't think he should have been suspended but other people may think differently....different people react in different ways to that word.
This.

Referring to your opponent racially is quite different from using the term colloquially. This is the distinction the NCAA is making.
Oh well then. There's a big old can of worms opened up. It is now socially acceptable to use the term as long as it's not used in any manner characterizing an opponent? Sorry, that's just wrong but it's what both you and the NCAA are inferring. Personally I find it offensive and appauling. I hear 12 and 13 year olds using that language these days like it meant nothing. But we're not talking about random hoodlums here. We're talking about student atheletes representing the NCAA and tyheir respective institutions. A single standard should hold true. No exceptions.
Fact
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Villanova
A.K.A.: meek millz

Post by Fact »

This is ridiculously blown out of proportion, but I must defer to Chris Rock on this one.
http://twitter.com/TheFoyeEffect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BisonBacker
Level1
Level1

Post by BisonBacker »

What happened to Fanboi aka TheFan? Since the news of Spadola being suspended I'm guessing fanboi is curled up in a fetal position somewhere sucking his thumb :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
DaCats21
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by DaCats21 »

National news

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... nded-tweet

Is that all you need to do to become famous anymore? Drop a racial slur on a social neworking site. What happened to the days when you had to make a sex tape to get your name out there???
Image BOBCAT PRIDE
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Oh the humanity! He said the n-word with a "gangsta" spelling that clearly shows it was not meant to be derisive! Now black children everywhere are not going to be able to be doctors and lawyers and are going to turn to drugs and gangs and prostitution! Racial harmony has been set back 10 years! Oh noes!

:coffee:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
lakesbison
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: lakesbison

Post by lakesbison »

http://www.twitter.com/lakesbison" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

exactly 1 day from RIGHT NOW, it better be #NDSU 21 #Lehigh 3, Ryan Spagola's twitter account 0

11 seconds ago Favorite Reply Delete
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

lakesbison wrote:http://www.twitter.com/lakesbison

exactly 1 day from RIGHT NOW, it better be #NDSU 21 #Lehigh 3, Ryan Spagola's twitter account 0

11 seconds ago Favorite Reply Delete
Hey Lakedude, want some pizza