Lehigh WR goes racial on Twitter - gets SUSPENDED

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Lehigh WR goes racial on Twitter - gets SUSPENDED

Post by bluehenbillk »

Man, I must've been on a desert planet to miss this one that I saw on the Towson board today.

Lehigh WR Ryan Spadola posts last Friday afternoon on Twitter:

"let them niggas talk shit, kids that talk shit tlk shit because they suck on the field. Its gunna be a long day for them."

Interesting.....and embarassing
Last edited by bluehenbillk on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Re: Lehigh WR goes racial on Twitter

Post by andy7171 »

I heard the rumor Saturday at the tailgate. That quote is much less severe as to what people were saying it was.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
The_Fan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Lehigh

Post by The_Fan »

http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/foot ... media.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

He didn't even say it, he just quoted it. Stupid? yes. Not worthy of any real punishment though other than what the school has dolled out.

Learning experience. We've all put our foot in mouth a number of times over the years.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

This is what happens when you let Towson have a little success once in a while. :ohno:
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.ph ... unts/page2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down a little on this link & they have the exact post. Without diving into things, even if they're still there, which I doubt they are, he could have just re-posted something, but why would you not put it in quotes, or why would a kid from another school write that as if he played for LU?

Interesting to see that the TU players on this thread have been told to delete all social media accounts of theirs.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Scroll down a little on this link & they have the exact post. Without diving into things, even if they're still there, which I doubt they are, he could have just re-posted something, but why would you not put it in quotes, or why would a kid from another school write that as if he played for LU?

Agreed.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Interesting that there are rumors the NCAA suspended him for the NDSU game.

If true, I call BS.

There are about 100 examples of other players wit the same language not getting suspended, including a WR from NDSU.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

danefan wrote:Interesting that there are rumors the NCAA suspended him for the NDSU game.

If true, I call BS.

There are about 100 examples of other players wit the same language not getting suspended, including a WR from NDSU.
So why attack NDSU, the NCAA is the one with a PC stick up their behind.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
danefan wrote:Interesting that there are rumors the NCAA suspended him for the NDSU game.

If true, I call BS.

It's not an attack on NDSU. All I'm saying is the NCAA cannot selectively enforce rules.

The NDSU example is most relevant given the matchup this weekend.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

danefan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
It's not an attack on NDSU. All I'm saying is the NCAA cannot selectively enforce rules.

Was it a white NDSU player's twitter?

Like Bill said, embarassing!
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
danefan wrote:

Was it a white NDSU player's twitter?

Like Bill said, embarassing!
Should it matter?
MTfan4life
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by MTfan4life »

danefan wrote:He didn't even say it, he just quoted it. Stupid? yes. Not worthy of any real punishment though other than what the school has dolled out.

Learning experience. We've all put our foot in mouth a number of times over the years.
It's not a learning experience unless something is actually done. Think of all the kids looking up to someone like this. A respected Lehigh student making that comment known to the WORLD wide web. An idol to any kid following Lehigh athletics. Calling out another team using racial slurs. It's one thing to just say it vocally in a one on one conversation. It's another entirely different thing to do it on the internet. Treat the internet like a press conference. Athletes should know that already. Especially the smarter ones. What's going to make kids see that this isn't a good thing to do? Just slapping him on the wrist and saying boys will be boys? A white student athlete throwing a racial slur out for everyone to see. The more I think about this, the dumber it gets. You learn your lesson when you are punished for your wrongdoing.
lakesbison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU
A.K.A.: lakesbison

Post by lakesbison »

cant wait to beat the hell out these guys, what a complete MORON!!

MWILL shut this bitch down! or would this be racist since MWILL will be shutting down the loud mouth white WR?
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

How come Bill Fette hasn't commented on this thread yet? Is it a make-up call from last year?
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
The_Fan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Lehigh

Post by The_Fan »

Based on what I have read, it appears that the Spadola suspended thingy is just a joke
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

If true, I call BS.

You have any links to back up your claim of 100 parallel examples? I think I would have heard of 1-2% of them at least... :coffee:
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

bluehenbillk wrote:

If true, I call BS.

You have any links to back up your claim of 100 parallel examples? I think I would have heard of 1-2% of them at least... :coffee:
Do a quick twitter search and you can find hundreds of examples of college athletes having discussions with their friends using very similar language that Spadola quoted (remember he didn't actually say it - and yes I think that does matter).

But of course you've never heard of them because the NCAA doesn't do shit about them (as it looks like is the case here too thankfully).

There were a bunch of concrete examples on AGS yesterday though, including a screen shot of the NDSU WR's tweet in the thread that Cleets accidentally deleted.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Don't really wanna bring race into this thing, but is it 'cause he's white that they suspended him? I've seen black players use that term in the same manner on social media websites and they don't get suspended.

edit: Just realized it was a rumor. He was an idiot to say it, but it's not suspension worthy.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote:Don't really wanna bring race into this thing, but is it 'cause he's white that they suspended him? I've seen black players use that term in the same manner on social media websites and they don't get suspended.

edit: Just realized it was a rumor. He was an idiot to say it, but it's not suspension worthy.
Cracker :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

MTfan4life wrote:
danefan wrote:He didn't even say it, he just quoted it. Stupid? yes. Not worthy of any real punishment though other than what the school has dolled out.

It's not a learning experience unless something is actually done. Think of all the kids looking up to someone like this. A respected Lehigh student making that comment known to the WORLD wide web. An idol to any kid following Lehigh athletics. Calling out another team using racial slurs. It's one thing to just say it vocally in a one on one conversation. It's another entirely different thing to do it on the internet. Treat the internet like a press conference. Athletes should know that already. Especially the smarter ones. What's going to make kids see that this isn't a good thing to do? Just slapping him on the wrist and saying boys will be boys? A white student athlete throwing a racial slur out for everyone to see. The more I think about this, the dumber it gets. You learn your lesson when you are punished for your wrongdoing.
Ahem...(tapping the mike)

I would like to thank you all for coming here today.

He should not be suspended.

Any questions?

That is all.

Thank you.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

Is he really suspended? I've heard yes & I've heard no.
BisonBabe
Level2
Level2

Post by BisonBabe »

The only thing that irked me with this whole situation is that NDSU was drug into the crapfest. If and that is a big if the NCAA did suspend him in no was was NDSU involved it would have come from Towson. So in the future please leave NDSU out of the crapfest as we tend to put ourselves in that position on our own quite well thank you very much.

On a secondary note everyone needs to remember the think before talking/texting/tweeting. Remember once you hit enter/send it is out there on the world wide web for all to see and it is aweful damn hard to retract.

In my opinion this young man had a lapse in judgement. Is it worthy of suspension (if this is true) I don't know but then again with the PC police in action would not doubt it happening. Sometimes PC goes just a tad to far but also sometimes mouths do as well.
BisonBacker
Level1
Level1

Post by BisonBacker »

Until I see a more official source and not message board fodder I believe he's going to be playing. Besides I'd rather he play so we don't have to listen to all the excuses when we beat them on Saturday.
rkwittem
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: North Dakota State

Post by rkwittem »

BisonBacker wrote:Until I see a more official source and not message board fodder I believe he's going to be playing. Besides I'd rather he play so we don't have to listen to all the excuses when we beat them on Saturday.
Who the heck cares about excuses. One team won and the other lost. I've never cared if you won against the scout team or the #1 team in the land, a win is a win is a win. Let them make excuses. If they are so good, they should be able to win, no?

That is all. :coffee: