Portland State playing Carroll College?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Portland State playing Carroll College?

Post by Silenoz »

Just heard this rumor from a co-worker, any PSU fans that can chime in? Not seeing much of anything online, or on the PSU or Frontier conference boards. In fact the only thing turning up on google is BCN, so if TomCat posts here maybe he can fill us in...

Couple thoughts:
1) Risky move by PSU. They just missed the playoffs because they scheduled 3 non-FCS games, and now they're following in the footsteps of UNC, UND, and San Diego in scheduling elite NAIA/former NAIA teams. Granted PSU is better than all of those teams and should be quite good this year and should win, but any given Saturday

2) When is the last time Carroll played up? I would bet there would be a lot of interest in the state to see them take on MSU or UM, and it seems more logical to play them than some crappy GNAC/RMAC school

3) Yeah, we know, NDSU fans. We KNOW
Willie
Level4
Level4

Re: Portland State playing Carroll College?

Post by Willie »

PSU played a D3 team this year so it doesn't surprise me.
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

Willie wrote:PSU played a D3 team this year so it doesn't surprise me.
D3 and an NAIA.
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by SACCAT »

I heard this is in the works from the AD at Carroll. I love watching the Saints play, but this game will NOT be close. If the PSU coach wants to run up the score they could win by 50-60 easy.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

Call me crazy, but I don't get the point of these games.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

TomCat88 is a good guy. He is level headed so if he was the one that posted it, must be some truth in there.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
GoAgs72
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: UC Davis

Post by GoAgs72 »

I think these are fillers for the schedule when you need another home game but can't get a counter.
putter
Level2
Level2

Post by putter »

I heard that Carroll was playing up as well but had no idea who. PSU has a great recruiting class coming in and it will be interesting to see how close Carroll can keep it
‎"Born in other countries, yet believing you could be happy in this, our laws acknowledge, as they should do, your right to join us in society, conforming, as I doubt not you will do, to our established rules. That these rules shall be as equal as prudential considerations will admit, will certainly be the aim of our legislatures, general and particular." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Hugh White, 1801
Beef
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: FTC, MaroonMafia

Post by Beef »

Confirmed. Sept 1st in Portland (obviously).
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

Beef wrote:Confirmed. Sept 1st in Portland (obviously).
Link?
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Silenoz wrote:Just heard this rumor from a co-worker, any PSU fans that can chime in? Not seeing much of anything online, or on the PSU or Frontier conference boards. In fact the only thing turning up on google is BCN, so if TomCat posts here maybe he can fill us in...

Couple thoughts:
1) Risky move by PSU. They just missed the playoffs because they scheduled 3 non-FCS games, and now they're following in the footsteps of UNC, UND, and San Diego in scheduling elite NAIA/former NAIA teams. Granted PSU is better than all of those teams and should be quite good this year and should win, but any given Saturday

2) When is the last time Carroll played up? I would bet there would be a lot of interest in the state to see them take on MSU or UM, and it seems more logical to play them than some crappy GNAC/RMAC school

Carroll played CWU and beat them tour or five years I think. Not the same step up as FCS but...
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

Looks like they played 1999-2000 and 2002-2004, with Carroll taking the last two
Beef
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: FTC, MaroonMafia

Post by Beef »

Silenoz wrote:
Beef wrote:Confirmed. Sept 1st in Portland (obviously).
Link?
No link, just a source who I would believe 100% who got it from VD's mouth today.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

Silenoz wrote:Looks like they played 1999-2000 and 2002-2004, with Carroll taking the last two
Wow, I would have bet it was 2007 or so but I'll defer on that. Man has Carroll been out of Vigilante for 7 seasons now? Holy shit.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
Silenoz wrote:Looks like they played 1999-2000 and 2002-2004, with Carroll taking the last two
Wow, I would have bet it was 2007 or so but I'll defer on that. Man has Carroll been out of Vigilante for 7 seasons now? Holy shit.
You and I thought 93S&G had been closed for pushing' 20 years too.... a couple of :dunce: we are....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: Wow, I would have bet it was 2007 or so but I'll defer on that. Man has Carroll been out of Vigilante for 7 seasons now? Holy shit.
You and I thought 93S&G had been closed for pushing' 20 years too.... a couple of :dunce: we are....
:nod: :lol:
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

Keep in mind that PSU did lose Kavanaugh and McCaffrey. Could be some disarray in Portland early

Also keep in mind that those UNC, UND, and USD teams finished with some pretty terrible records
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SACCAT »

carrolldad wrote:SACCAT: i will take that bet if you're giving 50-60 points! i doubt many of you fbs guys follow NAIA football or Carroll College. Mike Van Diest and his OC, will have the entire summer to scheme for PSU and when you give those two that much time you better come ready to play. now, i'm not saying Carroll has a chance to beat the Vikings, what i am saying is this will be a closer game than most think. examples have been sited before, including Azusa Pacific (Carroll 5-0 lifetime vs APU) vs U San Diego, University of Sioux Falls vs UND (which by the way was a sioux falls victory in Grand Forks 27-14) and last year's win by Lindenwood (split with carroll in 08 and 09) win at No. Colorado. you all think there is this huge divide between divisions, in reality NAIA elite can compete and play a pretty good brand of football. this game (if played) will come down to the trenches where PSU has a definite size advantage. if Carroll can shuttle in enough players to stay fresh in the second half and not allow the big play, it may be a game.
Actually I do follow Carroll football. Not as close as I do the Cats, but I have had many friends that have played for the saints, including one that had a great career in the NFL. I will give you 50 points on $100 going to the charity of the winners choice. I hope I lose this bet, but I just can't see it as being close.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

carrolldad wrote:It amases me that the Griz fans on egriz are clueless as to why their OC and DC left in the same year..... :D
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Pac-12

Boise State
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

No. There is no indication Pflu or any other coach has any culpability in the recent incidents
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SACCAT »

carrolldad wrote:saccat: having supposedly being connected somewhat to the carroll football program i cant believe you will spot me 50 points in that game (if it happens). btw, my favorite charity is me so if the bet still stands i'll have to figure out how to get the $100 after the game. i have been associated with Carroll football since 2005 and the level of athlete recruited to the carroll campus has seen a significant improvement in the last 5-6 years. having said that, the 2005 NC team with Emmert, Peterson, Cooper etc was pretty impressive. as were teams with Galik and Fitsimmons - all Big Sky calibur kids. again, i'm not saying that Carroll is a Big Sky quality team, however, given the circumstances and carroll's history, there is no doubt in my mind the Saints represent well. score prediction PSU 31 Carroll 21.
Also, Carroll has taken some heat locally over the past several years for recruiting outside of montana but still boasts 65 percent montana boys on the roster. in-state starters for UM last year 3 of 22. MSU 8 of 22. The $hitstorm that is happening at UM with the alleged rapes is only going to get worse. i dont think its just coincidence that the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators went elsewhere. If the alleged crimes are true, Pleugrad is gone and more than likely the AD as well. It amases me that the Griz fans on egriz are clueless as to why their OC and DC left in the same year..... :D
WOW..You are quite the "Saint". Listen I know Carroll has had some great players, but I am pretty sure Emmert left the griz because he was third string on there depth chart. And what does "Montana Boys" have to do with anything. The BEST High school football players in Montana are going to go to MSU or UM (in that order ;) ) and the next level below that for Montana kids is Carroll.
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SACCAT »

carrolldad wrote:saccat: Emmert NEVER attended UM so not sure how he could have been 3rd string? however, Mike Kramer ex-Cat coach did make the statement that he "missed the boat on Emmert" and apparently he was good enough to sign a free-agent contract with the BC Lions of the CFL coming out of college so there must have been some talent there. no disagreement that most of the best montana high school players go to MSU or UM although, Miller BSU and Oswieler ASU come to mind as exceptions - i'm sure there are others not quite as high profile..... the whole point of our conversation was that Carroll will not get rolled by PSU by 50-60 points as you stated. i have tried to point out that Carroll will perform at a much higher level than you give them credit for.....
I hope you are right, but I don't see it happening.
Darell1976
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: THE Univ. of North Dakota
A.K.A.: darell1976

Post by Darell1976 »

Silenoz wrote:Just heard this rumor from a co-worker, any PSU fans that can chime in? Not seeing much of anything online, or on the PSU or Frontier conference boards. In fact the only thing turning up on google is BCN, so if TomCat posts here maybe he can fill us in...

Couple thoughts:

When you are in transition, and play only 4 conference games you play who you can get. Now that UND is in the BSC we are trying to stray away from the non DI teams. We play NAIA SD Mines and fans are screaming for UND to get rid of the that game. 2013 we play a full DI schedule with zero FBS games too.
2011 GWFC Co-Champs!!!!
Now Playoff Eligible!!
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

I didn't call out UND, was just pointing out that the gap between elite NAIA and the bottom half of FCS (which UND was that year) isn't that big
Bear
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: The Big Grizzle

Post by Bear »

Silenoz wrote:I didn't call out UND, was just pointing out that the gap between elite NAIA and the bottom half of FCS (which UND was that year) isn't that big
I REALLY miss the old Silenoz. I mean, am I supposed to CHeck DaT SIG!! or not? Where does the OLD Silenoz come down on the allegation that there's too much dick ridin' goiN ON? :notworthy:

Can't do this by myself bro...