Second Wisconsin Player Transferring to Poly?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
expandspanos
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: School of Hard Knocks

Post by expandspanos »

So, there are rumors that incoming transfer Sophomore from Wisconsin Jake Irwin:

Height: 6-4
Weight: 247
Year: SO
Hometown: Waunakee, WI
High School: Waunakee HS
College: Wisconsin
Position: DL
Experience: TR

Has talked his former team mate Cameron Ontko to come out to San Luis Obispo. :clap:

2011: Saw playing time against South Dakota on Sept. 24 ... named UW's defensive scout team player of the week for the South Dakota game on Sept. 24 ... saw playing time against Oregon State on Sept. 10 ... recorded one tackle on special teams in Badger debut against UNLV on Sept. 1

2010: Redshirt season ... named UW's defensive scout team player of the week for the UNLV game on Sept. 4

High School: Rated No. 131 at outside linebacker in country by Scout ... in career, totaled 215 tackles, 3,100 yards rushing and 3,600 all-purpose yards ... two-time team MVP ... as a senior, named second-team all-state, first-team all-district and team MVP ... made 105 tackles as a senior, also rushed for 1,100 yards, had 300 receiving yards and scored 15 touchdowns ... in junior season, named first-team all-district after scoring 13 touchdowns, rushing for 1,100 yards, gaining 300 receiving yards and making 110 tackles on defense ... as a sophomore, named first-team all-district, rushing for 1,000 yards and scoring 10 touchdowns in just seven games ... earned letters in football and baseball ... head coach was Gerry Rardin

Personal: Parents are David and Brenda Ontko ... worked four years with Christian Community Service and also worked with Cleveland Center of the Blind Baseball program ... hobbies listed include lifting weights, speed training, hanging out with friends, playing Guitar Hero and watching movies

Hopefully this is part of a larger Defection of Wisconsin players who decide to be a bigger fish at Poly.. with better weather.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Second Wisconsin Player Transferring to Poly?

Post by dbackjon »

It's a conspiracy!!!

:mrgreen:

Looks to be a great get for the Mustangs!
:thumb:
SloStang
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Cal Poly

Post by SloStang »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

expandspanos wrote:
Has talked his former team mate Cameron Ontko to come out to San Luis Obispo. :clap:

I had no idea SE was a Wisconsin fan.
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

Grizalltheway wrote: I had no idea SE was a Wisconsin fan.
What's the joke?.. not following.
SloStang
Level2
Level2

Post by SloStang »

I am sure the game in 2008 where Cal Poly went into Camp Randall Stadium and took Wisconsin to OT (should of won if we had a kicker) definitely help in bringing these two players to Cal Poly.
CPAlum
Level1
Level1

Post by CPAlum »

If this guy ends up at FB as I suspect the Big Sky will get to know him very well.
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

CPAlum wrote:If this guy ends up at FB as I suspect the Big Sky will get to know him very well.
If he ends up at linebacker they'll get to know him even better :D
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Sounds like Wisconsin might have a case for filing a tampering complaint with the NCAA....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

SuperHornet wrote:Sounds like Wisconsin might have a case for filing a tampering complaint with the NCAA....
Because of rumors flying around a message board?

Somebody's jealous. :lol:
oceanvue22
I am a fan of: NAU

Post by oceanvue22 »

If they were so good they wouldn't be bouncing down from the Big 10.....just sayin'
Last edited by oceanvue22 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

expandspanos wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: I had no idea SE was a Wisconsin fan.
He looks like SE a little bit.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Why would I be jealous? Sac picked up a guy from UCLA, which is usually MUCH better than Wisconsin. (No, I'm not going to expand that to include the entire Big Ten.) It's not the Internet rumors that would land CP in hot water. If it can be proven that someone related to the CP football program initiated contact with a WIsconsin player before he formally filed transfer and release-from-scholarship papers, Wisconsin COULD have a case for tampering.

This probably isn't anything more malicious than a kid ignorant of every bloody rule in the NCAA's mile-long book talking to a buddy, but Wisconsin could make a stink about it if they so chose.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SloStang
Level2
Level2

Post by SloStang »

SuperHornet wrote:Why would I be jealous? Sac picked up a guy from UCLA, which is usually MUCH better than Wisconsin. (No, I'm not going to expand that to include the entire Big Ten.) It's not the Internet rumors that would land CP in hot water. If it can be proven that someone related to the CP football program initiated contact with a WIsconsin player before he formally filed transfer and release-from-scholarship papers, Wisconsin COULD have a case for tampering.

This probably isn't anything more malicious than a kid ignorant of every bloody rule in the NCAA's mile-long book talking to a buddy, but Wisconsin could make a stink about it if they so chose.
First off Wisconsin was a top 10 program last year and played in the Rose Bowl, UCLA not so much. Over the last ten years Wisconsin has been light years ahead of UCLA as a football program.

Second Ontko was granted his release back in January. Irwin knew of Cal Poly because of te game in 2008 and when he was looking to transfer to an FCS program he contacted Cal Poly. He like what he saw on his visit and transfered and participated in spring practice. He is the contact with Ontko. Like I said early, we can thank the 2008 team for these two transfers.
CPAlum
Level1
Level1

Post by CPAlum »

So Slo any word....would he play at FB?
grayghost06

Post by grayghost06 »

SuperHornet wrote:Why would I be jealous? Sac picked up a guy from UCLA, which is usually MUCH better than Wisconsin. (No, I'm not going to expand that to include the entire Big Ten.) It's not the Internet rumors that would land CP in hot water. If it can be proven that someone related to the CP football program initiated contact with a WIsconsin player before he formally filed transfer and release-from-scholarship papers, Wisconsin COULD have a case for tampering.

Not sure how you come up w/ this statement. While UCLA gets some highly touted players as rated by Rivals ( even when they stink), they are not in the same league as Wisconsin in terms of being a successful program the last 15 years. Wisconsin has 10 top 25 finishes, UCLA has 3.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SloStang wrote:

First off Wisconsin was a top 10 program last year and played in the Rose Bowl, UCLA not so much. Over the last ten years Wisconsin has been light years ahead of UCLA as a football program.

Second Ontko was granted his release back in January. Irwin knew of Cal Poly because of te game in 2008 and when he was looking to transfer to an FCS program he contacted Cal Poly. He like what he saw on his visit and transfered and participated in spring practice. He is the contact with Ontko. Like I said early, we can thank the 2008 team for these two transfers.
Wisconsin has played in 2 straight Rose Bowls, 3 straight 10+ win seasons (10, 11, 11), over the last 8 years Wisconsin has won 9 games or more 7 times (10 games or more 5 times...no losing record), back to back B1G champs, post New Years Day bowl since the 04 season....

UCLA, OTOH...
11: 6-8
10: 4-8
09: 7-6
08: 4-8
07: 6-7
06: 7-6
05: 10-2
04: 6-6
03: 6-7

Just 2 3 winning seasons since 03....the bowl game this past year they shouldn't have been in. The bowl selection comittee admitted it - and have now put rules in place stating that cases like UCLA will never happen again. Their 10-2 season was clearly an anomaly.

Wisconsin has as many 10 wins seasons in the last 10 years as UCLA does in program history.

As usual SH is wrong....
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

grizzaholic wrote:
expandspanos wrote:
He looks like SE a little bit.
That and the hat.

:hide:
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

Yep, no comparison between UCLA and Wisconsin. The Bruins stink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

grayghost06 wrote:

Not sure how you come up w/ this statement. While UCLA gets some highly touted players as rated by Rivals ( even when they stink), they are not in the same league as Wisconsin in terms of being a successful program the last 15 years. Wisconsin has 10 top 25 finishes, UCLA has 3.
A noob taking SH seriously. :rofl:
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

How rude of me, I should have posted videos:

Cameron Ontko:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzzsQN8jsnk[/youtube]
Scout: http://wisconsin.scout.com/a.z?s=193&p= ... id=4404335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jake Irwin
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rfFCBMAKNQ[/youtube]
Scout: http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p= ... id=4412583" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CPAlum
Level1
Level1

Post by CPAlum »

Poly has really stepped up their recruiting....do we have anything more official on Ontko yet? I don't see him on the current roster, Irwin is there but not Ontko
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

He was officially released from his scholarship from Wisconsin at the same time Jake Irwin was: http://wisconsin.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1326503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actually, he is mentioned on the roster, just doesn't have his own profile yet.

Under Xavier Ramos' profile:

"After a season at safety in 2010, moved to the linebacking corps a year ago and will challenge Johnny Millard and Cameron Ontko for the starting nod at Will linebacker for Cal Poly this fall.
CPAlum
Level1
Level1

Post by CPAlum »

Thanks ES....I missed that when I read through the roster....fantastic! Now I just need to go convince him to play FB and terrorize the entire conference
SloStang
Level2
Level2

Post by SloStang »

On the official roster.

Cal Poly Bio: http://gopoly.com/sports/fball/2012-13/ ... meron_1r8g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:clap: :thumb: :clap: :thumb: :clap: :thumb: :clap: :thumb: :clap: :thumb: :clap:

That game at Wisconsin in 2008 is still benefiting Cal Poly.