Football Championship Subdivision discussions
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

University of Montana NCAA Investigation Completed

Post by uofmman1122 »

http://www.umt.edu/legalcounsel/Legal%20News.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dear Colleagues and Friends,
Today the NCAA announced the conclusion of its investigation, begun in January 2012, into the University of Montana’s athletics department. The Division I Committee on Infractions handled this matter through summary disposition, which is the NCAA’s cooperative and streamlined process.
The NCAA determined that we failed to monitor our football program, finding instances of playing ineligible student-athletes, provision of extra benefits to some football players, and exceeding coaching limits on a limited basis. Penalties imposed include vacating certain game wins from the 2011 football season, a limit on football scholarships for three years, and probationary status for three years. The NCAA news release and report can be found at:
http://ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ ... s+homepage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As President, I take seriously the responsibility of ensuring that UM offers a dynamic learning environment that is second to none, including strong academics and strong athletics. Even before the end of the NCAA investigation, we instituted changes. We expanded our athletics compliance office; we are developing more educational programs; we are improving our communications with staff, coaches, student-athletes, fans, and supporters; and we are improving facilities for these students. We will work to ensure that we are in full compliance, and we intend to continue strengthening our culture of compliance.
Under the leadership of Director of Athletics Kent Haslam, we have pledged to build a superior and effective athletic program with students who are known for their contributions to their sport, to the classroom, and to the community. We are proud of our student-athletes, and I consider athletics integral to the fabric of the Montana experience.
The resolution of the NCAA investigation is welcome, and it reinforces our focus on excellence at UM. I can assure you that our athletic program has never been stronger. Indeed, in addition to their successes on the field and the court, our student-athletes just posted their 16th semester of having a GPA of 3.0 or higher – which is better than our overall student population. Not only that, they also devoted more than 700 hours to community service just last year alone.
The conclusion of the NCAA investigative process – following last May’s announcement of our agreements with the U.S. Department of Justice on unrelated matters – marks an end to this chapter in UM’s history. Many faculty members, staff members, and students have worked hard this past year and a half on new processes and policies across campus, on new training, and on new communication tools. Our campus is stronger, safer, and more vibrant than ever.
Sincerely,
Royce C. Engstrom
President
University of Montana
Athletic Director's Letter

July 26, 2013

Dear Griz Nation,
The University of Montana athletic department is focused on three priorities: academic success, athletic excellence and service to the community. The release of today’s NCAA report changes nothing in that regard.
During the past year, we have celebrated conference championships and outstanding academic performance by our student-athletes. With the support of committed coaches, faculty and staff, Grizzly student-athletes continue to outpace the general student body in cumulative GPA, graduation and retention rates, and credit hours completed. We have moved forward together with deep resolve to get better each day.
Being the focus of an NCAA investigation has taught us that our athletic department can always improve its practices and procedures. We can be more efficient. We can be more effective in our training and community outreach. We have emerged stronger and more focused.
Here is how we will manage some of the penalties over the next few years. You can read the complete public report by visiting NCAA.org and looking under “Latest News and Recent Cases” in the Enforcement section.
http://ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ ... s+homepage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scholarships
During the academic years of 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17, our football program will be limited to 59 full scholarships. The maximum number of scholarships an institution may award in the sport of football at the FCS level is 63. It is important to understand these scholarships may be divided among multiple student-athletes.
As a point of reference, over the four academic years of 2008-2012, UM awarded an average of 61.89 football scholarships. Last year, we awarded a total of 59.27 football scholarships. The tentative scholarship count for the upcoming academic year is approximately 61.
It has been and will continue to be our philosophy to award scholarship assistance to those student-athletes who a coach feels can be successful both academically and athletically at the Division I level. It has never been our practice to simply award financial assistance because a scholarship is available. The coaching staff will remain diligent in recruiting and use the 59 scholarships wisely.
2011 Football Wins
The NCAA found that ineligible student-athletes competed during the 2011 football season, so all wins after Oct. 23, 2011, will be vacated. This essentially means all public reference to those five wins will be removed. Any reference to a conference championship and NCAA post-season appearance will also be removed. However, the individual statistics for those student-athletes who were eligible to compete will remain.
Moving Forward
It is the obligation of all of Griz Nation to promote and maintain a “culture of rules compliance.” We are relying on you to help us succeed – both on and off the field. If you have a question about rules governing intercollegiate athletics, don’t hesitate to ask. When in doubt, pick up the phone, send an email or visit the “Ask Grizzly Compliance” section of GoGriz.com where you can submit questions anonymously. We promise to get back to you quickly. We have expanded our compliance office; we are developing more educational programming; and we are improving communication to our broad fan base, including our staff, coaches and student-athletes.
Griz Nation is strong and healthy. I ask each of you to stay focused on the three priorities I referenced at the beginning of my letter – academic success, athletic excellence and service to our community. Today’s report brings to conclusion a chapter in the history of UM athletics. We look to the future. We will move forward undaunted as we focus on improving our athletic facilities, winning championships with integrity and graduating student-athletes who are leaders in Montana and beyond.
I ask each of you to join in. Let’s look forward to an exciting, compelling and successful 2013-14 academic year!
Kent Haslam
Director of Athletics
University of Montana
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2

Re: University of Montana NCAA Investigation Completed

Post by uofmman1122 »

Here's a link to the entire NCAA report.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... 26%2C+2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2

Post by uofmman1122 »

This sucks for us, especially the scholly reduction and vacated wins, but no post season ban!! :thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Four schollies for three years. Could have been a lot worse.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

93henfan wrote:Four schollies for three years. Could have been a lot worse.
Especially considering we only awarded 59.27 last year...although I guess that .27 could make or break a season. :? :roll:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

So....the teams they eliminated h from the playoffs got fucked as well

quando omni flunkus moritati
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

clenz wrote:So....the teams they eliminated h from the playoffs got fucked as well

Yup, you definitely took it hard and dry. :kisswink:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Grizalltheway wrote:
clenz wrote:So....the teams they eliminated h from the playoffs got fucked as well

Yup, you definitely took it hard and dry. :kisswink:
If you think that is bad, you just wait until I get my hands on you! :lol:
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

Cheating, rape culture, thugs, lying. Cess pool, might as well shut er down for good.
UNI FIGHT
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

DJH wrote:Cheating, rape culture, thugs, lying. Cess pool, might as well shut er down for good.
Exactly, total bullshit.

I have linked our game just so you know how "thugerish" Montana was in that game.

I would be willing to bet that if your team hadn't folded like complete pussies, and we had eligible players, it would have only been 48-17.

Here is recap if you're hurt.

http://www.ncaa.com/video#!football/201 ... -fcs-semis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Wait a minute...Montana was investigated by a committee composed of FBS officials?!? How is THAT fair? Why do I get the feeling they would have let a FBS school off for what happened?

You guys might be right about the lack of a post-season ban, though I was under the impression that that was included in "probation." I hope I'm wrong about that, though. Even with "only" 59 schollies, Montana still makes an excellent representative of the Big Sky, along with EWU and MSU, plus second-tier programs CP, Weber State, and Sac State....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

That game doesn't exist. Maybe if your school wasn't trying to see how many rules they could break and how many Gs they could recruit it would

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SuperHornet wrote:Wait a minute...Montana was investigated by a committee composed of FBS officials?!? How is THAT fair? Why do I get the feeling they would have let a FBS school off for what happened?

You guys might be right about the lack of a post-season ban, though I was under the impression that that was included in "probation." I hope I'm wrong about that, though. Even with "only" 59 schollies, Montana still makes an excellent representative of the Big Sky, along with EWU and MSU, plus second-tier programs CP, Weber State, and Sac State....

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

clenz wrote:That game doesn't exist. Maybe if your school wasn't trying to see how many rules they could break and how many Gs they could recruit it would

I could throw that ball over the mountain. :lol:

Good one.
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

clenz wrote:That game doesn't exist. Maybe if your school wasn't trying to see how many rules they could break and how many Gs they could recruit it would

:dunce:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

FWIW, I'm pretty sure we won a NC with reduced schollies and coaching staff. Glad to see the Griz alive for the playoffs. :thumb:
Willie
Level4
Level4

Post by Willie »

DJH wrote:Cheating, rape culture, thugs, lying. Cess pool, might as well shut er down for good.
You guys got your cunts kicked in that night. That's what happened.
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Willie wrote:
You guys got your cunts kicked in that night. That's what happened.
Do UNI women really like that? ;)
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2

Post by uofmman1122 »

The butthurt is strong with this one. :nod:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Now, and forever more, the Bobcats will have one more loss to the Griz than the Griz have wins over the Bobcats… :?
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Glad to see ya!!! Don't you have a WBC rally at a fallen soldier's funeral to attend?

I would buy JBB a beer before I would ANY UNI fan. You cancerous menstral blood drinking pedophile.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I'm glad Delaware has never lost to Montana or UNI so I don't have to take this sort of abuse.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

clenz wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:Wait a minute...Montana was investigated by a committee composed of FBS officials?!? How is THAT fair? Why do I get the feeling they would have let a FBS school off for what happened?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Wouldn't you want FBS officials to investigate an FCS school, just like you'd want FCS officials to investigate an FBS school? That way there's little to no bias, as in the investigative officials don't give their schools an unfair competitive advantage by handing out overtly strict punishments.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:Wouldn't you want FBS officials to investigate an FCS school, just like you'd want FCS officials to investigate an FBS school? That way there's little to no bias, as in the investigative officials don't give their schools an unfair competitive advantage by handing out overtly strict punishments.
let me translate for you all:

LALALALALALA. ALLAH SNACKBARD. ALLAH DIRKA DIRKA DIRKA MOHAMMED ALI DIRKA DIRKA. BURKA PAYLESS LALALALALALALALALALALA. DEATH TO INFIDELS.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17