Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 10-21

Post by JALMOND »

The days are getting colder, the leaves are turning colors and the conference is getting closer to the playoffs (well for some anyway). The games start to mean something more as the end of the season comes into view. Here are this week's power rankings (last week's in parenthesis). Not much movement as compared to last week. Still some great games coming.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---As expected, the Eagles had little trouble last week putting away Southern Utah at home. Staying on top has been relatively easy for the Eagles, but that is about to change as this weekend they head out on the road to play Montana. A great game as usual is expected.

2. Montana State (3)---The Bobcats are truly a different team now that their star quarterback is back under center. Without McGhee, they struggle against anyone, and with him, they can beat anyone. Last week it was on the road at Weber State. This week, they return home to face UC-Davis.

3. Montana (2)---Truly a magical season is in the works for the Grizzlies as they were able to pull a victory from defeat last weekend at home against Cal Poly. Good teams will find a way to win when they are not playing well and the Grizzlies were able to get the win. This week a bit tougher as they welcome Eastern Washington to their home.

4. Cal Poly (5)---The Mustangs gave Montana all they could handle and almost got a well-deserved road win. But to win there, they needed to play a complete game, not take the final seconds off. They need to shake it off as they have a equally strong Northern Arizona team coming to their home.

5. Northern Arizona (4)---The Lumberjacks put Idaho State away last week at home, needing an exceptional third quarter to get the win. Like their opponent this weekend, Cal Poly, they will need to play a complete game in order to get the win, especially heading on the road.

6. Sacramento State (6)---The Hornets had the opportunity to pile it on North Dakota last weekend, like almost everyone else. They still can make a good season if they continue to play like that. Perhaps they are reaching their stride. This weekend however, they rest.

7. Southern Utah (7)---Last weekend, the Thunderbirds ran into a buzzsaw at Eastern Washington, but everyone has succumbed to Eastern Washington in the conference so far. The Thunderbirds defense is what is keeping them in games. They will need some offense. This week they entertain Idaho State.

8. Portland State (8)---The Vikings have had a penchant for killing themselves with mistakes at the most inopportune times. They took last week off to try to figure out how to stop those mistakes. Whether it worked or not remains to be seen as this weekend they get North Dakota at their house.

9. UC-Davis (10)---The Aggies continued their surprising season by getting by Northern Colorado last weekend. They are winning their games that they expect to win but are experiencing some difficulties with those teams that are clearly above them. This weekend they hit the road to play one of those superior teams in Montana State.

10. North Dakota (9)---This year was supposed to be a better year for the former Sioux than this. This past weekend they struggled against Sacramento State. They need a spark somewhere. Maybe this weekend as they head out to Portland State. Then again, maybe not.

11. Idaho State (11)---The Bengals threw a scare into Northern Arizona before stumbling in the second half. Still, they have to feel pretty good about the season so far. They will need a good showing this weekend as they head out on the road again, playing offensively-challenged Southern Utah.

12. Weber State (12)---The Wildcats put up a good fight against Montana State at home, only to come out on the losing end once again. They got their only win early on and have not been able to get over the hump since then. They get a chance to figure out the rest of the season this week by taking the week off.

13. Northern Colorado (13)---The Bears promising season is officially down the tubes now, after losing at home to UC-Davis. Now they need to recover and get ready for the rest of the season, whatever that may bring. the get the weekend off to think about it.

RECAP: 1-3 out front, 4-5 close behind, 6 on an island, 7-10 running behind and 11-13 in the rear.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 10-21

Post by SDHornet »

Good lineup, no real arguments from me. I'd maybe swap Sac and SUU, but they are pretty even. It's also clear UND belong in the bottom grouping, they are terrible. 10-13 will without a doubt constitute the weakest teams in the BSC.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I might have that group after Sac ordered as follows: UCD, PSU, SUU. But at that point, they're pretty much interchangeable parts, as are the last group. I think JAL has us pegged right as being "on an island," though that island might well be at #5. The next few games will determine that. And we get no better than #5 in terms of preference for the post season, even if our "record" shows us higher. And the Sky will NOT go five deep in the post season; of THAT I am certain....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

I find it strange that you moved Montana down after a close win against a tough Cal Poly team, but reward MSU for struggling to put away the 12th ranked team in the conference. :suspicious:
cats2506
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: MSU Bobcats

Post by cats2506 »

Grizalltheway wrote:I find it strange that you moved Montana down after a close win against a tough Cal Poly team, but reward MSU for struggling to put away the 12th ranked team in the conference. :suspicious:
winning by 3 possessions is struggling?

I suppose NAU struggled with um too :rofl: :rofl:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

cats2506 wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:I find it strange that you moved Montana down after a close win against a tough Cal Poly team, but reward MSU for struggling to put away the 12th ranked team in the conference. :suspicious:
winning by 3 possessions is struggling?

Oh come on....tell me you weren't gripping when Weber kept hanging around....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
cats2506
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: MSU Bobcats

Post by cats2506 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
cats2506 wrote: winning by 3 possessions is struggling?

Oh come on....tell me you weren't gripping when Weber kept hanging around....
The game was in hand from the beginning :thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

So Cal POLY loses to a team NAU destroyed but jumps them??? Nuts
:thumb:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

cats2506 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: Oh come on....tell me you weren't gripping when Weber kept hanging around....
You let a 1-7 team hang around until the 4th, but whatever helps you sleep at night. :lol:
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

dbackjon wrote:So Cal POLY loses to a team NAU destroyed but jumps them??? Nuts
:ohno:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

cats2506 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: Oh come on....tell me you weren't gripping when Weber kept hanging around....
:lol:
I like how you can say that with a straight face. :lol:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

You guys got lucky to win against Idaho frigging State. Deal with it.more proof that your victory over Montana was an accident.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

AZGrizFan wrote:
You guys got lucky to win against Idaho frigging State.
They didn't really. NAU led 39-14 with 4 minutes left, then ISU scored twice in a row thanks to an onside kick. The Bengals were never in position to win, though.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:
You guys got lucky to win against Idaho frigging State. Deal with it.more proof that your victory over Montana was an accident.
Lucky? LMAO. More proof that most Griz fans are myopic homers who don't have a clue, solar system excluded
:thumb:
mtjack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU Lumberjacks!

Post by mtjack »

Close wins by the Griz = "gutsy", "hard fought" and "character building".

Close wins by the rest of the Big Sky = "lucky".

Got it.
SloStang
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Cal Poly

Post by SloStang »

Home and away. It will be settled this weekend either way.
grizcountry420
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: The University of Montana

Post by grizcountry420 »

mtjack wrote:Close wins by the Griz = "gutsy", "hard fought" and "character building".

Close wins by the rest of the Big Sky = "lucky".

Got it.

See! Someone gets it....
mtjack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU Lumberjacks!

Post by mtjack »

grizcountry420 wrote:
See! Someone gets it....
I appreciate good, honest sarsasm when I see it. :)
weberwildcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: WEEber State
A.K.A.: WeberHoops.com

Post by weberwildcat »

2 teams below isu? Wow! Times have changed. Why is weber ahead of a team?
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

weberwildcat wrote:2 teams below isu? Wow! Times have changed. Why is weber ahead of a team?
Probably because despite being on a 7 game losing streak Weber has beaten an FCS team, while Northern Colorado has not and the Bears have also lost to a lower division team.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

weberwildcat wrote:2 teams below isu? Wow! Times have changed. Why is weber ahead of a team?
UNC is without a doubt the worst team in the BSC this season.
Sapper
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Idaho State University

Post by Sapper »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: You guys got lucky to win against Idaho frigging State.
They didn't really. NAU led 39-14 with 4 minutes left, then ISU scored twice in a row thanks to an onside kick. The Bengals were never in position to win, though.
ISU was up 14-12 (UM didn't have a lead) ISU made the push and came close. They were in a position to win that is why UNA had there starters in.
BEAT WEBER!!!

Brock Landers
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Things

Post by Brock Landers »

AZGrizFan wrote:
cats2506 wrote: The game was in hand from the beginning :thumb:
:lol:
I like how you can say that with a straight face. :lol:
He's a full-time troll, he doesn't have time for things like objectivity or rational thought

That being said, I have no problem with dropping us after that performance :?
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Sapper wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
ISU was up 14-12 (UM didn't have a lead) ISU made the push and came close. They were in a position to win that is why UNA had there starters in.
ISU had to score twice in the last 4 minutes just to make it a two-score game (& never got any closer). I wouldn't exactly call that "position to win."

If the Bengals had picked up another onside kick, then maybe, but that's always a low-percentage proposition.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: You guys got lucky to win against Idaho frigging State.
I was thinking of the week before.