Willie Fritz to GaSo

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
CatBlitz22
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Willie Fritz to GaSo

Post by CatBlitz22 »

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... n-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GREAT hire, in my opinion. Fritz is one of the best coaches in the country.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Re: Willie Fritz to GaSo

Post by Grizalltheway »

We'll be seeing them in the whogivesaflyingfuck.com Bowl in no time. :thumb:

Also, shitty luck for SHSU. He builds their best-ever teams, they run into a steamroller two years in a row, and now he bolts. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of douchebags. :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

And the rest of the Southland just breathed a huge sigh of relief. :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Bison56
I am a fan of: Who ever wins the chip

Post by Bison56 »

AZGrizFan wrote:And the rest of the Southland just breathed a huge sigh of relief. :lol: :lol:
I think you mean the Big Sky.
:dunce:
CatBlitz22
Level2
Level2

Post by CatBlitz22 »

Bison56 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:And the rest of the Southland just breathed a huge sigh of relief. :lol: :lol:
:tothehand:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Bison56 wrote:
Those days are over. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
bearkat91
I am a fan of: Sam Houston State
A.K.A.: SHSU

Post by bearkat91 »

I'll be curious to see who we get to replace him. I'm guessing our former DC, Scott Stoker, who's now the DC at UTEP will be high on the list. Shitty timing, but good luck to Fritz and GSU.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Now think about it. Sam Houston State got exactly one automatic bid to the playoffs while Willie Fritz was there. He was 2-2 against McNeese and 2-2 against Central Arkansas. He did have a really good nucleus of players that got to the national championship game twice in a row. But once he lost a substantial number of them he finished 3rd in the Southland with a 4-3 conference record.

Yes, it probably hurts Sam Houston State that he is leaving and he brought Sam Houston to the highest point it's ever been at as a I-AA/FCS program. But it's not like everybody in the Southland is saying, "Whew. No way we could beat Sam Houston State while he's there."
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW I think this is a mistake for Georgia Southern. We've been through this before. What made Georgia Southern great was sticking to its system. Unless Fritz plans to stick to that system, and I doubt that's going to happen, this is a mistake.
Could I ever be a star?

htownbearkat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: SHSU

Post by htownbearkat »

JohnStOnge wrote:BTW I think this is a mistake for Georgia Southern. We've been through this before. What made Georgia Southern great was sticking to its system. Unless Fritz plans to stick to that system, and I doubt that's going to happen, this is a mistake.
disband the team :coffee:
http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/ ... RKNADO.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

htownbearkat wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:BTW I think this is a mistake for Georgia Southern. We've been through this before. What made Georgia Southern great was sticking to its system. Unless Fritz plans to stick to that system, and I doubt that's going to happen, this is a mistake.
disband the team :coffee:
The Georgia Southern system is what made Georgia Southern the most successful I-AA/FCS program in terms of national titles of all time. I think they'd have made the playoffs again this year had they been eligible with a 7-4 record that included a win over Florida.

They went away from the system once before with disasterous results. It's their identify. It's what makes them special.

In a way it reminds me of Nebraska going away from its system and never being the same since. Nebraska had gone for 41 years without a losing season as of the end of the 2003/2004 season. They had only won fewer than 9 games twice during that period. They'd just finished a 10-3 season with a 17-3 bowl win over Michigan State.

And they fired their coach in order to completely change their system. In the 10 seasons since they've had two losing seasons and 3 seasons where they won fewer than 9 games. In terms of winning percentage, they have yet to achieve as good a season SINCE they fired Frank Solich and changed their system then they did during Solich and their system's final year.

Nebraska was never near the top in terms of producing NFL players. But they were certainly near the top in terms of winning consistently and winning national titles because they had a SYSTEM that worked for the kinds of players they were able to obtain. They had what I think was the most dominant football team of my college football watching lifetime running that system (1995/1996 team).

But they saw the shiny thing and felt they had to go for it. Their program has declined since.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I thought this was a message board for FCS teams.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CatBlitz22
Level2
Level2

Post by CatBlitz22 »

CID1990 wrote:I thought this was a message board for FCS teams.
This doesn't concern SHSU?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote:Nebraska was never near the top in terms of producing NFL players. But they were certainly near the top in terms of winning consistently and winning national titles because they had a SYSTEM that worked for the kinds of players they were able to obtain. They had what I think was the most dominant football team of my college football watching lifetime running that system (1995/1996 team).

But they saw the shiny thing and felt they had to go for it. Their program has declined since.
Arguing that Nebraska declined because they went away from their system is a huge reach that someone who required rigorous scientific proof such as yourself should never make. Have you seen a study that accounts for all of the variables and can prove it without a doubt?

Nebraska was beginning to decline under Solich. The college football landscape changed around Nebraska and they felt they were falling behind and tried to change with it. No one will ever be able to know for sure what impact changing their system would have had on their decline. I would guess that Callahan was a disaster not because his system didn't fit but because he didn't fit.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Yep
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Arguing that Nebraska declined because they went away from their system is a huge reach that someone who required rigorous scientific proof such as yourself should never make. Have you seen a study that accounts for all of the variables and can prove it without a doubt?

Nebraska was beginning to decline under Solich. The college football landscape changed around Nebraska and they felt they were falling behind and tried to change with it. No one will ever be able to know for sure what impact changing their system would have had on their decline. I would guess that Callahan was a disaster not because his system didn't fit but because he didn't fit.
You're right about the "scientific proof" thing but that's how it is with football. One thing's for sure though:

Nebraska has not done as well since ditching its system. I don't think the system and Solich are synonymous but let's use Solich because I think Nebraska letting him go was associated with the Administration wanting to get away from the historical system. Solich won 75% of his games at Nebraska. Since he left Nebraska has won 65 percent of its games. It's been better under Pelini than it was at first but Pelini has won 71% of games; which is still a lower winning percentage than Solich had.

Nebraska had a conference championship during six years under Solich. It's got zero in 10 years since he left. From the time when the Big 8 Conference started in 1960 through the end of Frank Solich's last year Nebraska never went more than 4 years without a conference championship. It's now gone 10 years without one since Solich was fired.

Now, we can never know that Nebraska has a lower winning percentage and fewer conference championships than it did under Solich because it ditched its system. But we do know that it does have a lower winning percentage and has won fewer conference championships since it ditched its system.
Could I ever be a star?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote:

You're right about the "scientific proof" thing but that's how it is with football. One thing's for sure though:

Nebraska has not done as well since ditching its system. I don't think the system and Solich are synonymous but let's use Solich because I think Nebraska letting him go was associated with the Administration wanting to get away from the historical system. Solich won 75% of his games at Nebraska. Since he left Nebraska has won 65 percent of its games. It's been better under Pelini than it was at first but Pelini has won 71% of games; which is still a lower winning percentage than Solich had.

Nebraska had a conference championship during six years under Solich. It's got zero in 10 years since he left. From the time when the Big 8 Conference started in 1960 through the end of Frank Solich's last year Nebraska never went more than 4 years without a conference championship. It's now gone 10 years without one since Solich was fired.

Now, we can never know that Nebraska has a lower winning percentage and fewer conference championships than it did under Solich because it ditched its system. But we do know that it does have a lower winning percentage and has won fewer conference championships since it ditched its system.
I'm pretty sure that Solich's winning percentage wasn't as good as Osborne's so maybe the program was already on a downward slope before they changed systems. Sitting here in the Midwest, it sure seemed at the time like the program was about to slide into mediocrity under Solich. I think Solich is a good coach but I don't think he was the right guy for Nebraska.

Other possible reasons Nebraska has declined besides changing their offensive system:

1) Defense. The option offense was only 1/2 of Nebraska's identity. The other 1/2 was their black shirt defense and the recent defenses haven't come anywhere near living up to those lofty standards.

2) Recruiting. As I mentioned earlier the college football landscape has changed considerably. Nebraska recruited nationally and the improvement of programs around the country has probably impacted Nebraska's recruiting. Have Wisconsin, Northwestern, etc. put a dent in Nebraska's Chicago recruiting? Has Rutgers improvement hurt their New Jersey recruiting? They were also known for producing great lineman (Dave Rimington, Will Shields, Dean Steinkuhler etc.) but do high school lineman with professional aspirations want to play in an option offense or do they want to develop their pass blocking skills as well?

IMO a school like Nebraska or Georgia Southern could adopt a Malzahn style offense that keeps them relevant in today's college football world while not straying too far from their roots.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Pigskin Steve
I am a fan of: Football

Post by Pigskin Steve »

Evidently AD at SHSU wanted a different head coach than Keeler.

http://www.footballscoop.com/news/12347 ... ston-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;