DO YOU THINK THE EWU GATEWAY PROJECT WILL BE BUILT?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions

Yes, for sure
27%
Yes, IF there is state funding
13%
Yes, IF there is corperate naming rights
3%
Yes, BUT not in the next 10 years
20%
No, it wont get built. Why?
37%

Total votes: 30

BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

id love to know what the FCS fans think.

Last edited by BlackFalkin on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Re: DO YOU THINK THE EWU GATEWAY PROJECT WILL BE BUILT?

Post by ASUG8 »

I think you're going to have to give us a little more information on this. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BlackFalkin wrote:id love to know what the FCS fans think.
About what? Provide some information.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

ASUG8 wrote:I think you're going to have to give us a little more information on this. :coffee:
WC Fail. :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

YES, YES I DO.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

ASUG8 wrote:I think you're going to have to give us a little more information on this. :coffee:
Ibanez wrote:
BlackFalkin wrote:id love to know what the FCS fans think.
About what? Provide some information.

They won the NC in 2010. You should all know EVERYTHING about the Gateway Project. :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: About what? Provide some information.

They won the NC in 2010. You should all know EVERYTHING about the Gateway Project. :coffee: :coffee:
My Google is broken, and my apathy level is dangerously high today. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

ASUG8 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

I just don't a damn about a school on the other end of the country. :coffee:

Btw, Blackie, it's "corporate" not "corperate."
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Ibanez wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:

You care about SUU still...right?
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pretty sure there's been threads on the Gateway before but as a refresher…

Remove the track and move the field right up against existing grandstand which will become the visitors sideline.

Construct large east side structure that will increase capacity to 16,000 with room for further expansion.

East side structure will stretch all the way back to Washington Street, include cabana seating, luxury boxes, commercial space (sports bar, restaurant, apparel shop, bank), football operations offices, and locker rooms. One of the ideas is to also build a causeway over Washington street, linking the athletics facilities to the rest of the campus. Hence, the name Gateway. There are rumors of a new high rise dormitory or apartment building going up adjacent to the project on the other side of the street. EWU's enrollment is expected to grow by another 5,000 or so by 2020.

Approximately $5 million has already been donated to do the preliminary planning and design work.

Remaining funding would come through large donors, student fees (which have already been approved), the university, and the state.

Estimated cost: $60 million.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Then, NO. I dont' think it'll get built.

$5 million is a long ways from $60 million. There just isn't that kind of interest in EWU football from fans, alumni, etc.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

kalm wrote:Pretty sure there's been threads on the Gateway before but as a refresher…

Remove the track and move the field right up against existing grandstand which will become the visitors sideline.

Construct large east side structure that will increase capacity to 16,000 with room for further expansion.

East side structure will stretch all the way back to Washington Street, include cabana seating, luxury boxes, commercial space (sports bar, restaurant, apparel shop, bank), football operations offices, and locker rooms. One of the ideas is to also build a causeway over Washington street, linking the athletics facilities to the rest of the campus. Hence, the name Gateway. There are rumors of a new high rise dormitory or apartment building going up adjacent to the project on the other side of the street. EWU's enrollment is expected to grow by another 5,000 or so by 2020.

Approximately $5 million has already been donated to do the preliminary planning and design work.

Remaining funding would come through large donors, student fees (which have already been approved), the university, and the state.

You guys averaged 7,822 last season with a solid team for the past several years. Is there really demand for 16K seats? Based solely on that, I'd guess this won't get built.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_ ... e/2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:Then, NO. I dont' think it'll get built.

$5 million is a long ways from $60 million. There just isn't that kind of interest in EWU football from fans, alumni, etc.
True, but that $5 million was specifically donated just to get the preliminaries done. Don't think that would have happened if it wasn't going to be a go. And we won't need all $60 million up front, or from donors.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

ASUG8 wrote:
kalm wrote:Pretty sure there's been threads on the Gateway before but as a refresher…

You guys averaged 7,822 last season with a solid team for the past several years. Is there really demand for 16K seats? Based solely on that, I'd guess this won't get built.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_ ... e/2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What was Montana's attendance prior to WaGriz?

We've pretty much averaged a sell out for the last 3 years, so demand is increasing. I know a number of people who watched games from home because they literally couldn't get tickets. The jump to 16,000 is a big one, but with increased enrollment, and the fact you'd have guaranteed sellouts for at least the Montana, MSU, and homecoming games, I think it makes sense to look into the future.

If you build it...
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

kalm wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:

We've pretty much averaged a sell out for the last 3 years, so demand is increasing. I know a number of people who watched games from home because they literally couldn't get tickets. The jump to 16,000 is a big one, but with increased enrollment, and the fact you'd have guaranteed sellouts for at least the Montana, MSU, and homecoming games, I think it makes sense to look into the future.

If you build it...
Montana is a bad example. There is nothing to do in Montana..that is why football is halfway popular. amirite EC(b)'ers ;)
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

grizzaholic wrote:
kalm wrote:

If you build it...
Montana is a bad example. There is nothing to do in Montana..that is why football is halfway popular. amirite EC(b)'ers ;)
Helluva lot more to do there than in Cedar City. :poke:
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

kalm wrote:
grizzaholic wrote:
Helluva lot more to do there than in Cedar City. :poke:
:tothehand:

Justin Halpern
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:We've pretty much averaged a sell out for the last 3 years, so demand is increasing. I know a number of people who watched games from home because they literally couldn't get tickets. The jump to 16,000 is a big one, but with increased enrollment, and the fact you'd have guaranteed sellouts for at least the Montana, MSU, and homecoming games, I think it makes sense to look into the future.

If you build it...
If they designed/built it in stages, then maybe yes...your attendance figures this year:

Western Oregon: 6349
Weber St: 9734
SUU: 10,135
MSU: 10,223
PSU: 9522

Looks to me like they should expand by about 4,000 seats...
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

grizzaholic wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

My ringtone is the SUU fight song. :thumb:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:We've pretty much averaged a sell out for the last 3 years, so demand is increasing. I know a number of people who watched games from home because they literally couldn't get tickets. The jump to 16,000 is a big one, but with increased enrollment, and the fact you'd have guaranteed sellouts for at least the Montana, MSU, and homecoming games, I think it makes sense to look into the future.

If you build it...
If they designed/built it in stages, then maybe yes...your attendance figures this year:

They averaged 9200 last season...

I've always read/believed when you build a stadium you build it so that your current average is 80% of the capacity. It will allow for good growth and allow the stadium to still look pretty full if the growth doesn't happen right away....and then allow the design to be expanded if needed,

Given that information it would seem the best stadium size for EWU is 12K. 9200 is exactly 80% of 12K.

12K also just seems appropriate to me.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

clenz wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

They averaged 9200 last season...

I've always read/believed when you build a stadium you build it so that your current average is 80% of the capacity. It will allow for good growth and allow the stadium to still look pretty full if the growth doesn't happen right away....and then allow the design to be expanded if needed,

Given that information it would seem the best stadium size for EWU is 12K. 9200 is exactly 80% of 12K.

12K also just seems appropriate to me.
Point being, they averaged 9200 in an 8600 seat stadium....
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

Ibanez wrote:
grizzaholic wrote:
My ringtone is the SUU fight song. :thumb:
:notworthy: :clap: :clap:

Justin Halpern
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

I dont know if it will, but I think it would be sweet if it did and really good for Eastern.
Brock Landers
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Things

Post by Brock Landers »

I DUNNO, MAYBE. BUT ALSO MAYBE NOT
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Brock Landers wrote:I DUNNO, MAYBE. BUT ALSO MAYBE NOT
Way to commit. :thumb: