Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

#11 Montana at #5 EWU Game Thread

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

ImageImage
#11 University of Montana Grizzlies (6-3, 4-1 BSC) at #6 Eastern Washington Eagles (8-2, 5-1 BSC)

Saturday, Nov. 8, 2014 • 12:10 p.m. Pacific
Roos Field (8,600) • Cheney, Wash.
TV: Televised live regionally by ROOT Sports & DirectTV Audience Network 101
Radio: 700 ESPN (EWU)
Webcast: None

Athletics: GoGriz.com | GoEags.com
Twitter: @UMGRIZZLIES_FB | @ewuathletics
Fan Forums: eGriz.com | EWU Redzone

Series: UM leads 26-13-1
Last Meeting: 2013 - EWU won 42-37 in Missoula, MT
This will be the seventh-straight season – and 13th time in the last 19 meetings -- that both teams will enter the game nationally ranked. The Eagles enter the game 8-2 on the season and are fifth in The Sports Network NCAA Football Championship Subdivision Top 25 Poll after an overwhelming 54-3 win against North Dakota on Nov. 1.

Eastern is 5-1 in the Big Sky Conference – currently one of six one-loss teams in the league -- as it defends the league title it won with an 8-0 record last season. Cal Poly is also 5-1, while Montana, Montana State, Northern Arizona and Idaho State are all 4-1. After Saturday, at least two schools will have a second league loss.

The Grizzlies are 6-3 on the season after last week’s 31-13 home victory against Sacramento State. Montana leads FCS with just four turnovers in nine games this season and is 10th in turnover margin (+0.89 per game with 12 takeaways). By comparison, the Eagles are 32nd in turnover margin (+0.4 per game with 18 takeaways and 14 giveaways).

The Grizzly defense features defensive end Zack Wagenmann, who is sixth in FCS with an average of 1.17 sacks per game (10.5 total). Montana has allowed opponents to average just 20.3 points per game (20th in FCS) and is allowing only 357.0 yards per game (41st).

“They have an all-league caliber quarterback, productive running backs and a great system, but the lifeblood of where they are this year is a credit to their defense,” said Eastern head coach Beau Baldwin. “They’ve made red-zone stops and have played some salty defense, and have been able to win some low-scoring battles. Wagenmann is one of the best players in the country and he proves it every week. You look for a weak spot or maybe kind of a hole to take advantage of, but you just don’t see it with them.”
http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2014- ... 14fbNov3UM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
putter
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: #11 Montana at #5 EWU Game Thread

Post by putter »

Should be a good one. It will be interesting to see if they can keep Adams from playing if he is not 100% healthy
‎"Born in other countries, yet believing you could be happy in this, our laws acknowledge, as they should do, your right to join us in society, conforming, as I doubt not you will do, to our established rules. That these rules shall be as equal as prudential considerations will admit, will certainly be the aim of our legislatures, general and particular." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Hugh White, 1801
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

My faith in our defense was restored after shutting down Sac State, but you never know which team is going to show up on the road. :?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Grizalltheway wrote:My faith in our defense was restored after shutting down Sac State, but you never know which team is going to show up on the road. :?
Speaking of D, if you look at conference only stats EWU is #3 in scoring just one point behind Montana, #3 in rushing D (UM #6) and #5 in total D (UM #3).
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:My faith in our defense was restored after shutting down Sac State, but you never know which team is going to show up on the road. :?
Speaking of D, if you look at conference only stats EWU is #3 in scoring just one point behind Montana, #3 in rushing D (UM #6) and #5 in total D (UM #3).
Wonder how those stats would look if you included "nonconference" conference opponents.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Wonder how those stats would look if you included "nonconference" conference opponents.
Yep, we played 3 quality offenses out of conference.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

I've got faith we can shut EWU down if Adams doesn't play.

But he'll play, so I have no idea what's going to happen...

It's on the road vs. a ranked team, so I'm not too optimistic.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I'm talking about only MSU's offense and the fact they obliterated your defense.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
I'm talking about only MSU's offense and the fact they obliterated your defense.
Yes they did, but we still won. Besides, do you think that certain parts of a team can't improve during the course of the year? We played 7 True Freshman on defense against MSU. Those same guys now have 10 games of experience under their belts. They have improved drastically.

Besides, Montana doesn't have near the offense MSU does this year.

I also think you'll see on Saturday that our running game is pretty good as well.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
No shit? :lol:

I would've included them, but the Big Sky doesn't post non conference/conference only stats. Regarless, we've at least equal offenses in conference and we're defensively almost equal. Even when you throw in the UW, MSU, and SHSU we're still ranked ahead of you in rushing D. :coffee:
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2

Post by uofmman1122 »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

I would've included them, but the Big Sky doesn't post non conference/conference only stats. Regarless, we've at least equal offenses in conference and we're defensively almost equal. Even when you throw in the UW, MSU, and SHSU we're still ranked ahead of you in rushing D. :coffee:
I know I'm biting on this, but you also haven't played Cal Poly, either. :tothehand:

I think the EWU defense is getting better and may have been underrated so far, and the Griz defense overrated earlier this year, but I still think we have a better D overall.

Will it be able to stop you guys? Who knows. :wink:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

uofmman1122 wrote:
kalm wrote:

I know I'm biting on this, but you also haven't played Cal Poly, either. :tothehand:

I think the EWU defense is getting better and may have been underrated so far, and the Griz defense overrated earlier this year, but I still think we have a better D overall.

I looked at that. Idaho State and SUU offenses>Poly and Sac.

Like I said, it's about a push. 8-)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

EWURanger wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Yes they did, but we still won. Besides, do you think that certain parts of a team can't improve during the course of the year? We played 7 True Freshman on defense against MSU. Those same guys now have 10 games of experience under their belts. They have improved drastically.

I also think you'll see on Saturday that our running game is pretty good as well.
So, your defense can improve, but our offense can't/hasn't? :coffee:
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

AZGrizFan wrote:
EWURanger wrote:

Of course it can. Specifically the O Line I think has improved. MSU's still quite a bit better, IMO.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Go Eags!

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GrizFanStuckInUtah
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by GrizFanStuckInUtah »

AZGrizFan wrote:
EWURanger wrote:

I am not convinced that it has. Pretty sure this is a picture of our offense.

-Go Griz!
-Class of '97
-Thank you to all our Veterans. :bow:
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2

Post by uofmman1122 »

kalm wrote:
uofmman1122 wrote:I know I'm biting on this, but you also haven't played Cal Poly, either. :tothehand:

I looked at that. Idaho State and SUU offenses>Poly and Sac.

Like I said, it's about a push. 8-)
I thought we were talking about rushing defense?

Cal Poly is #1 and Sac is #6 in rushing offense in the Big Sky.

ISU is #3, but SUU is second to last.

That doesn't look like a push to me. :coffee:
Bronco
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by Bronco »

-
I will be curious to see if any Griz line backer will get revenge for the Tripp cheap shot last year by Big Game VA
And if they do high-low him will they stand up pounding their chest’s pointing at the crowd?
Is it worth a 15 to get revenge in a big game?
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jackrabbit
I am a fan of: NAU/UNH
A.K.A.: Jackassrabbitraper

Post by jackrabbit »

EWU wins this one easier then they think over the Griz defense even with the QB problems

Unless....

The EWU offense dresses in drag then The Griz D suddenly becomes aggressive and assualts the EWU offense in which case EWU is Fuc#ed and loses as the Refs look the other way.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

jackrabbit wrote:EWU wins this one easier then they think over the Griz defense even with the QB problems

Unless....

The EWU offense dresses in drag then The Griz D suddenly becomes aggressive and assualts the EWU offense in which case EWU is Fuc#ed and loses as the Refs look the other way.
Take your 7th grade ass and go somewhere else. Quit fucking up every single thread you touch with your obvious Griz envy bullshit.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Bearmeat is a little testycle. No envy here....except the ref calls you get and the Griz lover pollsters who are smokin missoula crack when they vote.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Yeah, that's exactly why you lost fourteen in a row to us. Those gall darn refs and pollsters!! :rofl:
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Seriously? We beat you in Missoula then kicked you ass in Flag last year.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

jackrabbit wrote:Seriously? We beat you in Missoula then kicked you ass in Flag last year.
Your
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Eastern players dress in drag to get Griz to commit personal fouls and roughing the passer penalties.