If Coastal is gone...does Big South expand?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
bucs90
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Charleston Southern

If Coastal is gone...does Big South expand?

Post by bucs90 »

So it appears this may be the day Coastal is officially leaving for FBS after this season. I have a strong feeling Liberty will too in the near future.

Does the Big South expand?

With Coastal gone....it's Liberty, CSU, GWU, PC, Kennessaw, Monmouth. 6 isn't enough. And Liberty may leave. BSC has to be thinking expansion. GWU and PC both came up from D2 and have transitioned well. Are any NC/SC/GA region D2 teams pondering a move up? Any shot at luring a SoCon team to the BSC?
[img] http://www.csusports.com/sports/fball/2 ... 325380900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[img]
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: If Coastal is gone...does Big South expand?

Post by 89Hen »

Are there any other schools moving to D1? I don't know from where they could get existing teams other than maybe SCSt or DelSt.

BTW, what's the status of ETSU?? Are they slated to go SoCon or I-A?
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

You'll have too or you'll lose your AQ

The best bet is NCCU and Del State from the MEAC and/or Jacksonville, Stetson and/or Campbell
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:Are there any other schools moving to D1? I don't know from where they could get existing teams other than maybe SCSt or DelSt.

BTW, what's the status of ETSU?? Are they slated to go SoCon or I-A?
They are going to the SoCon, as I understand.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

clenz wrote:You'll have too or you'll lose your AQ

The best bet is NCCU and Del State from the MEAC and/or Jacksonville, Stetson and/or Campbell
I know I'll get blasted for this but...SCState.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

Ibanez wrote:

It's actually a great idea. That school is in turmoil. Breaking from the MAC and going Big South could be a symbolic fresh start and a great fit as far as competitive football. Alumni would hate it because of their MEAC history but I think it'd be a good move.

Campbell is already a non football member and they could easily transition. I've always felt Jacksonville would be a nice addition too.

The perfect scenario is Winthrop. They're supposedly going to decide at the end of this academic year if they're starting football or not. They'd be a huge addition and perfect fit.
[img] http://www.csusports.com/sports/fball/2 ... 325380900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[img]
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Any of the D2's that play football in SC/NC/GA looking to move up?

West Georgia/Valdosta State? Does Georgia Regents have football?
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:Any of the D2's that play football in SC/NC/GA looking to move up?

I think D2's is the wrong way to go. Try and lure from some other conference. The MEAC is a farce, take something from them.
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

Ibanez wrote:
dbackjon wrote:Any of the D2's that play football in SC/NC/GA looking to move up?

I think D2's is the wrong way to go. Try and lure from some other conference. The MEAC is a farce, take something from them.
I think D2s depend on who you get. NDSU was D2 how many years ago? Now I realize that is the exception but....
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Ibanez wrote:

The MEAC seems to have some schools unhappy about the new bowl set up.

That's where my first calls are going
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

OL FU wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I think D2's is the wrong way to go. Try and lure from some other conference. The MEAC is a farce, take something from them.
I think D2s depend on who you get. NDSU was D2 how many years ago? Now I realize that is the exception but....

Abilene Christian beat a Sun Belt school (and lost to another by one) last year in their first year in FCS.
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

clenz wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I think D2's is the wrong way to go. Try and lure from some other conference. The MEAC is a farce, take something from them.
The MEAC seems to have some schools unhappy about the new bowl set up.

I think it's the best route for the Big South. There are some good MEAC teams, SCState, Bethune-Cookman,etc.. they would make great additions.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

Ibanez wrote:
clenz wrote: The MEAC seems to have some schools unhappy about the new bowl set up.

I think it's the best route for the Big South. There are some good MEAC teams, SCState, Bethune-Cookman,etc.. they would make great additions.
I agree and honestly never thought about it until you mentioned it. Heck...if 1 or 2 went...may be able to snag a few. SC State, Bethune and NC A&T would be my picks. Great football. Maybe Howard or Norfolk...mostly to expand the footprint though.

As for D2...I doubt they're interested and enrollment is very small. But Newberry is a very competitive team. Top 25 caliber D2 and gave CSU all it could handle last year. Wingate has a nice facility and Charlotte market...but with Winthrop being a possibility if they start a team Wingate isn't an option.

You have me sold on SC State though. BSC should go after it.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:

no you wont

there is a sizeable cabal of El Cid alums that would like to see them in the conference - but they need to get their financial house in order
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

ESPN radio Sport Talk Charleston is talking about this topic. Saying early rumors are Big South and SoCon could merge...kicking out football - only member Monmouth and Liberty assuming they move up to FBS. SO basically it's be SoCon plus GWU, PC, CSU, Kennesaw St.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

bucs90 wrote:ESPN radio Sport Talk Charleston is talking about this topic. Saying early rumors are Big South and SoCon could merge...kicking out football - only member Monmouth and Liberty assuming they move up to FBS. SO basically it's be SoCon plus GWU, PC, CSU, Kennesaw St.
I don't see that happening. The SoCon and Big South are different worlds.

Like I said, the best scenario, IMO is to lure away a NC school and/or SCState. But SCState needs to get their financials in order.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

Ibanez wrote:
bucs90 wrote:ESPN radio Sport Talk Charleston is talking about this topic. Saying early rumors are Big South and SoCon could merge...kicking out football - only member Monmouth and Liberty assuming they move up to FBS. SO basically it's be SoCon plus GWU, PC, CSU, Kennesaw St.

Like I said, the best scenario, IMO is to lure away a NC school and/or SCState. But SCState needs to get their financials in order.
Meh...not as much lately. Big South has owned the SoCon lately. If you mean culturally...maybe. 10 years ago I'd say it would never happen. Now? Not sure. Crazy stuff going on in college sports. With App, Marshall and GSU gone...the SoCon isn't what it once was. VMI and Samford used to be Big South anyway. And the most consistent team is Wofford...who was NAIA/D2 20 years ago!

But...just adding 2 more is probably the more likely scenario. SC State does have financial issues...but we both know the State will NEVER shut it down...for obvious reasons. A break from the MEAC is symbolic and they should do it. Bethune? No chance IMO.

I have a hunch that Winthrop is seeing Coastals move and UNC Charlotte's move and feels they are missing out on the PR and exposure football brings. I think they announce in 2016 they're starting a team. Campbell joins as a football member instead of just other sports. And maybe pick up a Jacksonville or Valdosta or something.
Killamike296
I am a fan of: Eastern Kentucky
A.K.A.: Deke

Post by Killamike296 »

I don't mind this one bit,but who would be optimal candidates to replace them?

That got me thinking so I did some research on Upper D2 teams that fit the BSC geographical area and here's what I came up with.

West Georgia- 3rd ranked team at the end of last year and are located in Carrolton,Georgia

Northwest Missouri- 8th ranked team in D2 at the end of the year and play in Maryville, Missouri

North Alabama- 13th in End of season poll and play in Florence, Alabama

Then there Valdosta like people in here already mentioned

As far as other FCS teams go, I honestly dont think they'd get anyone in FCS to jump to the BSC.
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

Post by Aho Old Guy »

My understanding is North Alabama is OVC bound.

Best shot may be the South Atlantic, but I know of no real interest in moving up (Lenoir Rhyne in Hickory has been decent the last few years). Limestone and North Greenville from the 'Conference Carolinas' play as DII independents in football, and both have 20 m/w sports.
"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

Aho Old Guy wrote:My understanding is North Alabama is OVC bound.

Best shot may be the South Atlantic, but I know of no real interest in moving up (Lenoir Rhyne in Hickory has been decent the last few years). Limestone and North Greenville from the 'Conference Carolinas' play as DII independents in football, and both have 20 m/w sports.
Yeah I agree. I think the BSC is gonna really try to influence Winthrop into fielding a team...and try to get Campbell to fund scholarships to become a football member. Both are already members. Just need a fully funded program for one and a startup team at Winthrop and there you go, 2 new teams.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

I'd love to get Elon back, long time BSC member doing so-so in SoCon.
The Cats
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: WCU
A.K.A.: The Cats

Post by The Cats »

UNA and UWG would be two good adds for the Big South.

UNA would be competitive from the start.
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

Post by Aho Old Guy »

bucs90 wrote:I'd love to get Elon back, long time BSC member doing so-so in SoCon.
Elon is in the CAA, Mr. Wizard :dunce:
"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

Ibanez wrote:

I agree. Also PC, GWU and also CSU are basically in the backyard of current members.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

Aho Old Guy wrote:
bucs90 wrote:I'd love to get Elon back, long time BSC member doing so-so in SoCon.
Elon is in the CAA, Mr. Wizard :dunce:
Oh crap you're right! :ohno: