Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 10-5

Post by JALMOND »

The calendar says it is October and, with the parity that is running rampant through the conference, we still have about eight teams that think they can win the conference title. Each can make a strong case so it will come down to who can win on the road and who can hold serve at home. A win is good, whether by 3 or 30. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are my opinion only and all open for discussion.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week, bye, this week Cal Poly at home---The Eagles avoided the loss last week by not playing, as if that made a difference. They get back in the swing of things this weekend with a home conference game.

2. Montana (4)---Last week, won at UC-Davis 27-13, this week Weber State at home---The Grizzlies broke through and got a road conference win last week. Maybe not quite as pretty as some people want, but still a road win. They need to keep at it this weekend.

3. Northern Arizona (6)---Last week, beat Montana State at home 49-41, this week at UC-Davis---The Lumberjacks burst through last week with a strong conference win at home that really was not as close as the score indicated. They can't afford to lose on the road however.

4. North Dakota (7)---Last week, won at Portland State 19-17, this week Idaho State at home---A great statement win on the road for the Dakotans as their defense prevailed. To keep a possible magical season going, they can't lose at home this weekend.

5. Cal Poly (5)---Last week, beat Idaho State at home 58-26, this week at Eastern Washington---An offensive explosion triggered the Mustangs to a resounding win at home. They are going to need some of that offensive power this weekend, however.

6. Southern Utah (9)---Last week, won at Weber State 44-0, this week bye---In an odd twist that should have foretold what was going to happen in the conference, the Thunderbirds had a strong performance from both sides of the ball to get a big road win. They have the week off to enjoy it.

7. Montana State (2)---Last week, lost at Northern Arizona 49-41, this week Sacramento State at home---The Bobcats philosophy of having their offense outscore the points the defense gives up took a strong hit this weekend. They are going to have to find some sort of defense somewhere to be competitive.

8. Portland State (3)---Last week, lost to North Dakota at home 19-17, this week at North Texas (C-USA)---The Vikings fine season took a bit of a hit as they fell at home in a strong defensive struggle. They move up a level for FBS game number 2, hoping for the same result as in game #1.

9. Weber State (8)---Last week, lost to Southern Utah at home 44-0, this week at Montana---It had looked like the Wildcats were getting things together, then a perplexing home conference loss had many scratching their heads. They need to recover in a place where that is highly unlikely.

10. UC-Davis (11)--Last week, lost to Montana at home, 27-13, this week Northern Arizona at home---The Aggies have played everyone on their schedule pretty tough, yet they have no wins to show for it. The bad news is that this weekend probably is not going to be much better.

11. Northern Colorado (13)---Last week, won at Sacramento State 27-20, this week bye---No more wondering when the Bears will win a conference game as their defense came up big last week. Still a lack of power on offense, but maybe the defense can carry them.

12. Idaho State (12)---Last week, lost at Cal Poly 58-26, this week at North Dakota---My how the Bengals have fallen. Their defense seems like they can't stop anyone anymore. However, they should be able to keep North Dakota under 50 points. Should being the key word.

13. Sacramento State (10)---Last week, lost to Northern Colorado at home 27-20, this week at Montana State---Losing at home to what was considered to be the worst team in the conference means that the Hornets may just be the worst team, even if they held Northern Colorado's offense to just 6 points.

RECAP: 1 in front, 2-8 just behind, 9-10 off the pace, 11-13 trailing.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 10-5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Dropping PSU to 8th. is a bit melodramatic. Their win over Wazzu is still arguably the Big Sky's best non-conference win (either that or Montana's win over NDSU) and they're still 3-1.

North Dakota is also overrated in 4th. They matched up well to a running team like PSU, but their deficiencies (passing O & D) are a bit too glaring & easily exploitable for me to put them real high.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:Dropping PSU to 8th. is a bit melodramatic. Their win over Wazzu is still arguably the Big Sky's best non-conference win (either that or Montana's win over NDSU) and they're still 3-1.

North Dakota is also overrated in 4th. They matched up well to a running team like PSU, but their deficiencies (passing O & D) are a bit too glaring & easily exploitable for me to put them real high.
I actually have the top 8 bunched together, and out of that PSU was the only team to lose at home. Those teams that can't win at home probably won't be as successful as those that can (or those that can get a conference road win). PSU's win at Wazzu is the reason to keep them in the conversation, however.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:Dropping PSU to 8th. is a bit melodramatic. Their win over Wazzu is still arguably the Big Sky's best non-conference win (either that or Montana's win over NDSU) and they're still 3-1.

Agreed on all points. NAU and UND too high, PSU and MSU too low.

I know NAU played a great game to beat MSU, but the skydome is a tough place to play at. NAU was able to beat EWU there last year as well, and we all know how the rest of the season went. MSU is easily still a top 5 team in the BSC if for no other reason that Prukop is damn near unstoppable.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

No arguments with these rankings, Sac State is too high though.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

SDHornet wrote:Sac State is too high though.
:lol: :lol:
Brock Landers
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Things

Post by Brock Landers »

1. EWU
2-13. A giant jumble of shit
DoubleNicks
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: DoubleNicks

Post by DoubleNicks »

Looks pretty good and I always enjoy your threads. Based off what I've seen so far and off results (not necessarily what I think they will end up) I personally would say:

1. EWU
2. UM
3. NAU
4. UND
5. MSU
6. PSU
7. Cal Poly
8. SUU
9. WSU
10. UNC
11. UC-Davis
12. Sac State
13. Idaho State
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

I understand what people are saying. I need to say, however, with so much parity around the conference this season, home conference wins have to be a must and if you can pick up a road win here or there, that is a bonus. That is why North Dakota's win at Portland State, Southern Utah's win at Weber, and even Northern Colorado's win at Sac State was so impressive. To contend this year, you simply cannot afford to drop a conference game at home because now you must get a conference road win to make it up.
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

I am still in shock about ISU, they are now in a battle with UNC and Sac for the cellar, when they were supposed to be goid
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Jjoey52 wrote:I am still in shock about ISU, they are now in a battle with UNC and Sac for the cellar, when they were supposed to be goid
Losing the best player from a thin defense and ending up with a mediocre quarterback in a QB-heavy offense certainly wasn't a recipe for success.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Jjoey52 wrote:I am still in shock about ISU, they are now in a battle with UNC and Sac for the cellar, when they were supposed to be goid

The only people who thought they would be goid (sic) were Bungles fans.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

While I agree with Double Nicks about placing Sac up a notch from the bottom, I kinda get Jal's reasoning for placing us last. We lost to a team we had no business losing to EVER, and ISU to a much tougher foe.

I think SD's statement sums it up, unfortunately. This is a season to cry over if there ever was one.

Time to bring back Big Cat....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

Just for the grammar police, I know how to spell good, didn't go to school in Montana
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Jjoey52 wrote:Just for the grammar police, I know how to spell good, didn't go to school in Montana
Clearly not. :lol: :dunce:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

AZGrizFan wrote:

The only people who thought they would be goid (sic) were Bungles fans.
He didn't spell it wrong. He's Curly Howard. :coffee: