Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Re: SUU's Ed Lamb Off to Provo

Post by SUUTbird »

I just saw this, and won't lie I'm sad to see him go. He single handedly turned around the SUU football program and actually made us relevant in one of the best conferences at the FCS level. Wishing him well on his endeavors in Provo, hopefully we'll be able to find some one of his caliber to take his place.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

SUUTbird wrote:I just saw this, and won't lie I'm sad to see him go. He single handedly turned around the SUU football program and actually made us relevant in one of the best conferences at the FCS level. Wishing him well on his endeavors in Provo, hopefully we'll be able to find some one of his caliber to take his place.
Ron Ash is looking for work. :D
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2

Post by SUUTbird »

Grizalltheway wrote:Ron Ash is looking for work. :D
Honestly I actually could see SUU looking at him...not a fan of that choice to be honest. My personal vote would have to be either our current DC Demario Warren who has led us to one have one of if not the best defense in the Big Sky over the last few years. Other then that I would like to see SUU go out and pick up an option oriented coach like Rich Ellerson (he actually coached at SUU before Cal Poly) and despite what everyone says he did an okay job at Army, a notoriously tough place to play at.
CaseyOrourke
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: CaseyOrourke

Post by CaseyOrourke »

Does SUU have the same requirement that BYU has in that the head coach needs to be a practicing Mormon?

I read that was a requirement for BYU coaches because they knew how to deal with players who have to take a break from playing to do their missions.
Why I love Chinese Women
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CaseyOrourke wrote:Does SUU have the same requirement that BYU has in that the head coach needs to be a practicing Mormon?

I read that was a requirement for BYU coaches because they knew how to deal with players who have to take a break from playing to do their missions.

If they did it would be illegal, since SUU is a public university.
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

CaseyOrourke wrote:Does SUU have the same requirement that BYU has in that the head coach needs to be a practicing Mormon?

Kind of odd that BYU would require that of the HC when they don't require that of student-athletes....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

SuperHornet wrote:

Kind of odd that BYU would require that of the HC when they don't require that of student-athletes....
Why is that odd, when all leadership positions at BYU do require being Mormon?

They don't limit students to Mormons (but charge non-Mormons more), but you won't find a non-Mormon in any top position.
CaseyOrourke
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: CaseyOrourke

Post by CaseyOrourke »

dbackjon wrote:

If they did it would be illegal, since SUU is a public university.
Even then, being a Mormon is probably a plus.
Why I love Chinese Women
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

I don't think either Graybeal or Sears were Mormon.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SuperHornet wrote:

Does Liberty have any high ranking positions filled by Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, atheists, etc... on staff?

Would they ever hire a football HC that was openly atheist or Muslim?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

clenz wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:
Does Liberty have any high ranking positions filled by Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, atheists, etc... on staff?

Turner Gill: It’s been a great experience. I’m here to glorify God. I’m here to do the best I can do according to the strength and ability that God has given me. I’m also here to help others get to know Christ as their personal Lord and Savior. That’s the ultimate thing that God wants all of us to do. Therefore, if there are wins and losses, that doesn’t define me. I’ve always tried to keep things in that perspective and do what Jesus wants me to do. There’s a high calling. That’s the big picture.

Read more: http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/ins ... z3vjQQak2L" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

clenz wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:

Good point. Liberty DID have a former Moslem as the dean of the Seminary for a while, though....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

So they would have hired him had he not left the other cult and joined theirs?
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

clenz wrote:So they would have hired him had he not left the other cult and joined theirs?
No.

My thought pattern was coming around from the other direction, though. One expects that a faith-based institution would hire people of the same frame of mind, within the realm of academic freedom in the case of professors. I would expect that the same schools would hold their students to the same standard. Though that would be kinda hard given that most college students are teenagers and as such likely haven't sat down for more than a minute to think about their religious beliefs, even those who grew up in church....

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Who would make a better football coach? Jesus or Satan?

I mean Jesus would be a players coach for sure, but Satan, what with all the scheming, and subjugation of rotten souls might have some success too...in a KC Keeler sort of way.

(IOW's he could effectively coach up the drop downs)
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

kalm wrote:Who would make a better football coach? Jesus or Satan?

I mean Jesus would be a players coach for sure, but Satan, what with all the scheming, and subjugation of rotten souls might have some success too...in a KC Keeler sort of way.

(IOW's he could effectively coach up the drop downs)

Well, Satan has done well in Foxboro.
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2

Post by SUUTbird »

Last time I checked I dont think SUU has the LDS requirement to be a coach like BYU does.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SUUTbird wrote:Last time I checked I dont think SUU has the LDS requirement to be a coach like BYU does.
is it not a public school? If so they can't, at least not publicly
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

clenz wrote:
SUUTbird wrote:Last time I checked I dont think SUU has the LDS requirement to be a coach like BYU does.
is it not a public school? If so they can't, at least not publicly
Is it possible to get away with that under the table?

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

SuperHornet wrote:
clenz wrote:is it not a public school? If so they can't, at least not publicly
Is it possible to get away with that under the table?

It would be, but too risky to consider.
Thundernuts
Level1
Level1

Post by Thundernuts »

To answer the questions, No....SUU does not require a Mormon coach. And as was mentioned, believe it or not, in Utah it is illegal for state schools to specify a hire based on a religion. (or any other protected class). Ed Lamb was not a Mormon himself. His wife and family was and he would attend church with them periodically but was not baptized a member himself. The only school that requires it is BYU, even though many of the coaches and staff of the other state schools like Utah, Utah State, Weber, Dixie, Snow, UVU (non-football playing school) have several Mormon coaches. WHittingham at Utah is a practicing member, so is Jay Hill at Weber. They are just the dominant religion in the state so naturally they show up a lot, however I wouldnt be surprised if deep down inside some AD's prefer it to boost recruiting within the state. Hope that helps. :thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Thundernuts wrote:To answer the questions, No....SUU does not require a Mormon coach. And as was mentioned, believe it or not, in Utah it is illegal for state schools to specify a hire based on a religion. (or any other protected class). Ed Lamb was not a Mormon himself. His wife and family was and he would attend church with them periodically but was not baptized a member himself. The only school that requires it is BYU, even though many of the coaches and staff of the other state schools like Utah, Utah State, Weber, Dixie, Snow, UVU (non-football playing school) have several Mormon coaches. WHittingham at Utah is a practicing member, so is Jay Hill at Weber. They are just the dominant religion in the state so naturally they show up a lot, however I wouldnt be surprised if deep down inside some AD's prefer it to boost recruiting within the state. Hope that helps. :thumb:

Any updates on the coaching search?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

http://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports ... /78337070/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Coach Lamb talks about the move
Thundernuts
Level1
Level1

Post by Thundernuts »

"Coach Lamb talks about the move"

And Im sure a tripling of his salary didnt hurt either....