Heading to the UM @ NAU game.

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
GrizFanStuckInUtah
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Montana

Heading to the UM @ NAU game.

Post by GrizFanStuckInUtah »

I am going to make the road trip down to Flagstaff for this one. My kids are out of school the Thursday and Friday before this so we are going to make the tour of Bryce, Escalante, Zions and the Grand Canyon. Not sure which ones yet but the question I have is about seating at the game. Looking online, there aren't many reserved seats available. Is the General admission alright? Looks like there are quite a few seats for those sections. Where is the best place for a Griz fan to sit? :mrgreen: And who is going to have some beer? :party:
-Go Griz!
-Class of '97
-Thank you to all our Veterans. :bow:
GrizFanStuckInUtah
Level3
Level3

Re: Heading to the UM @ NAU game.

I have all my hotels booked and tickets bought, I ended up in general admission which should be fine. Anyone else going to this game and want to meet up? I will be in Flagstaff on Friday evening sometime and want to check out the town on Saturday before the game.
-Go Griz!
-Class of '97
mtjack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU Lumberjacks!

Post by mtjack »

GFSIU -

In all likelihood, the sections you want to sit in at are as close to 208 or 210 as possible. Those tend to be where opposition fans get their allocation of tickets. General admission tickets next to GAEAST1 (southwest corner of the Skydome) will probably be the closest you'll get to the Griz section.

A 45 minute side trip south of Flagstaff to Oak Creek and Sedona is well worth the additional effort. If you're coming from S. Utah, I'd suggest stopping at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon simply due to proximity. The South Rim is pretty but it will add another hour plus up and back from Flagstaff.

A variety of good restaurants to choose from downtown and a plethora of breweries, if that's your "thing", are there for the exploring. Lowell Observatory is fun, depending on how old your kids are, and they're open for tours in the evening. Parking on south campus, near the Skydome, is a nightmare after the game. If you're okay with adding a 5-10 minute walk, park on central campus in the parking garage by the campus bookstore and just walk down S. San Francisco Street. Griz fans will have a section of the parking lot set aside for their tailgate. A few UM fans will bitch and moan (Hey there, AZGriz ) about the horrible treatment they're receiving from NAU but the Griz fans will be given their space and much fun will be had by all.

Check out egriz.com in the week or so leading up to the game. More details usually arise there.

Cheers,
MTJack
GrizFanStuckInUtah
Level3
Level3

mtjack wrote:GFSIU -

In all likelihood, the sections you want to sit in at are as close to 208 or 210 as possible. Those tend to be where opposition fans get their allocation of tickets. General admission tickets next to GAEAST1 (southwest corner of the Skydome) will probably be the closest you'll get to the Griz section.

A 45 minute side trip south of Flagstaff to Oak Creek and Sedona is well worth the additional effort. If you're coming from S. Utah, I'd suggest stopping at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon simply due to proximity. The South Rim is pretty but it will add another hour plus up and back from Flagstaff.

A variety of good restaurants to choose from downtown and a plethora of breweries, if that's your "thing", are there for the exploring. Lowell Observatory is fun, depending on how old your kids are, and they're open for tours in the evening. Parking on south campus, near the Skydome, is a nightmare after the game. If you're okay with adding a 5-10 minute walk, park on central campus in the parking garage by the campus bookstore and just walk down S. San Francisco Street. Griz fans will have a section of the parking lot set aside for their tailgate. A few UM fans will bitch and moan (Hey there, AZGriz ) about the horrible treatment they're receiving from NAU but the Griz fans will be given their space and much fun will be had by all.

Check out egriz.com in the week or so leading up to the game. More details usually arise there.

Cheers,
MTJack
Thanks for the info. :thumb: Are you headed to the game?

This is a mini vacation for me, my wife and 2 daughters (6 & 9) are coming with. I also have some friends and family coming with for a total of 10 people I am bringing to the game. I don't mind a little abuse while at the game as long as they leave my girls alone. :lol:
-Go Griz!
-Class of '97
mtjack
Level1
Level1

Post by mtjack »

GrizFanStuckInUtah wrote:
Thanks for the info. :thumb: Are you headed to the game?

This is a mini vacation for me, my wife and 2 daughters (6 & 9) are coming with. I also have some friends and family coming with for a total of 10 people I am bringing to the game. I don't mind a little abuse while at the game as long as they leave my girls alone. :lol:
Yup. I'm driving up from the desert on Friday night with a few fellow Lumberjack fans and hiking Humphrey's Peak Saturday morning before the game.

NAU fans are notoriously indifferent/fickle/non-present but if they're going to get fired up over any opposing team, it is the Griz. 15 straight losses (but 2 - 1 in the past 3 games) to the Griz does that to a fan base. I've rarely seen NAU fans acting like, well, Griz and Bobcat fans in their rivalry game or say ASU and U of A fans in theirs. You may catch a little flack but sports just isn't that much of a driving passion with most Jacks fans I know.

Safe travels, GrizFan.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Also would recommend the following:
* Walnut Canyon National Monument (about 20 minutes East of Flag)
* Sunset Crater National Monument (about 20 minutes North of Flag)
* Wupatki National Monument (about 45 minutes North of Flag)

You'll drive right by both Sunset and Wupatki on your way into Flag from Utah. Walnut Canyon (Anasazi Indian ruins) is well worth the side jaunt).
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GrizFanStuckInUtah
Level3
Level3

AZGrizFan wrote:Also would recommend the following:

You'll drive right by both Sunset and Wupatki on your way into Flag from Utah. Walnut Canyon (Anasazi Indian ruins) is well worth the side jaunt).

I will put them on the list, thanks for the suggestions. :thumb: We will cram in what we can, always good to have options and check out as much as you can.
-Go Griz!
-Class of '97
GrizFanStuckInUtah
Level3
Level3

Bump......anyone else going?
-Go Griz!
-Class of '97
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

AZGrizFan wrote:Also would recommend the following:

Probably jumped off those cliffs after NAU opened that can "ass-beatin" on the montana grizzlies. :lol:
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
mtjack
Level1
Level1

Post by mtjack »

GrizFanStuckInUtah - Other than the Griz loss, how was your trip? Weather was fantastic in Flagstaff last weekend and I hiked Humphrey's Peak before the game.
GrizFanStuckInUtah
Level3
Level3

mtjack wrote:GrizFanStuckInUtah - Other than the Griz loss, how was your trip? Weather was fantastic in Flagstaff last weekend and I hiked Humphrey's Peak before the game.
It was a good trip, had a lot of fun. I liked the Flagstaff area, much different than the other parts of AZ I have been in. I ended up sitting on the west side, general admission, not far from the student section. I had a good time yelling as much and as loud as I could. I didn't have much to yell about in the second half. :thumbdown: It was all good though, no complaints at all (Other than the loss! :kisswink: ) The crowd was a bit sparse but the ones that were around me were very friendly and I apologized in advance for the yelling before the game. :lol: I was loud but not obnoxious as I had my kids with me and nobody said anything even close to out of bounds but I got plenty back from some of the students. Rightfully so, I might add. You can't have someone come into your house and not tell them to look a the score board when you are kicking their ass. :mrgreen:

We went through Zions on Thursday and then drove to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. We went through that on Friday and then drove to Flagstaff that night. We then went and checked out the Sunset crater and Wupatki before the game and I made it to the tailgate area around 2 or so. I have a few pics that I will post when I get a minute to catch up. I drove home on Sunday and then flew out to New Orleans on Monday morning but won't be home till Thursday night. I am ready to be home considering I was in Boise last monday through wednesday, stringing them all together is almost 2 weeks on the road but it really was fun. :thumb:
-Go Griz!
-Class of '97