dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

EWU releases schedule: One 'Home' game in Seattle

Post by dbackjon »

March 26, 2009

The Eastern Washington University football team will play five home games in the 2009 season, and one of them will take place across the Cascade Mountains on Halloween Day.

The Eagles will host Portland State on Oct. 31 in a Big Sky Conference game that begins at 1 p.m. at Qwest Field in Seattle. It’s believed to be the first time in Eastern’s 100-year football history that it has played a game in Seattle. The Eagles will play their first game in the Puget Sound area since Oct. 30, 1982, when Eastern won at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma.

Eastern will also play home games against Western Oregon (Sept. 5), Northern Colorado (Sept. 19), Weber State (Oct. 10) and Montana State (Oct. 24) at Woodward Field in Cheney, Wash.

There are nearly 11,000 Eastern alumni who reside in the Puget Sound area in King, Snohomish and Pierce counties. More than 16,000 reside west of the Cascade Mountains. Among current Eastern students, nearly 1,500 are from King, Snohomish and Pierce counties, and a total of nearly 2,500 are from cities west of the Cascade Mountains.

"We are excited to be able to bring Eagle football to Seattle where we have a tremendous alumni base," said Eastern athletic director Bill Chaves. "The game will also afford our team the opportunity to play in an NFL stadium."

Ticket prices for the EWU-PSU game, as well as season tickets for the four home games in Cheney, will be announced at a later date.

Eastern’s season-opening game with Western Oregon on Sept. 5 has been tentatively scheduled to start at 6:05 p.m. Pacific time, while the Northern Colorado and Portland State games have been tentatively scheduled for 1:05 p.m. Times for Weber State and Montana State will be announced.

Following the game against the NCAA Division II Wolves, Eastern will play at Pacific 10 Conference member California on Sept. 12. After hosting Northern Colorado, Eastern will play at Sacramento State on Sept. 26 and Idaho State on Oct. 3.

Eastern plays defending Big Sky Conference co-champions Weber State and Montana on back-to-back games on Oct. 10 and 17, respectively, with the Eagle-Grizzly showdown taking place in Missoula, Mont. Eastern hosts Montana State for Homecoming on Oct. 24 before spending Halloween in Seattle against PSU on Oct. 31.

Following a bye on Nov. 7, Eastern closes the season with a pair of road games -- a non-conference game at Southern Utah on Nov. 14 in Cedar City, Utah, and a league game Nov. 21 at Northern Arizona.

Date - Opponent - Site - Time
Sept. 5 - Western Oregon - Cheney, Wash. - 6:05 p.m.
Sept. 12 - at California - Berkeley, Calif. - TBA
Sept. 19 - *Northern Colorado - Cheney, Wash. - 1:05 p.m.
Sept. 26 - at *Sacramento State - Sacramento, Calif. - 6:05 p.m.
Oct. 3 - at *Idaho State - Pocatello, Idaho - TBA
Oct. 10 - *%Weber State - Cheney, Wash. - TBA
Oct. 17 - at *Montana - Missoula, Mont. - 12:05 p.m.
Oct. 24 - *#Montana State - Cheney, Wash. - TBA
Oct. 31 - *Portland State - Seattle, Wash. - 1:05 p.m.
Nov. 7 - Bye
Nov. 14 - at Southern Utah - Cedar City, Utah - 12:05 p.m.
Nov. 21 - at *Northern Arizona - Flagstaff, Ariz. - 2:05 p.m

http://goeags.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... 09aaa.html
:thumb:
dgreco
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Bryant

Re: EWU releases schedule: One 'Home' game in Seattle

Post by dgreco »

gotta drop that DII game for another FCS gmae. Good schedule though and a pretty close BCS game.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I'll be there flaunting my griz wear, but supporting EWU.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
slycat
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas State

Post by slycat »

Are they expecting a good turnout at Quest Field? Has a FCS game ever been played on a neutral NFL field?
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

a good question...

I'd like to see NDSU and UNI duke it out at the Metrodome (given their alumni networks in the TC)

probably won't ever happen... but I can dream can't I?
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Not that I am holding any grudges, but Go WEBER STATE, and beat EWU on thier Eastern Athletics Hall of Fame day.

Anyway its a good schedule, when was the last time EWU played SUU? that will be interesting.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:when was the last time EWU played SUU? that will be interesting.
Remember when EWU killed that perfect season last year? then montana just killed your nat'l championship dreams in the playoffs? :lol: :lol: ooooh man.. good times.

Anyway, why does EVERYONE have this facination about the worst FCS team in the western region?
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

BlackFalkin wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:when was the last time EWU played SUU? that will be interesting.
Remember when EWU killed that perfect season last year? then montana just killed your nat'l championship dreams in the playoffs? :lol: :lol: ooooh man.. good times.

Anyway, why does EVERYONE have this facination about the worst FCS team in the western region?
Worst Team? Well if you are reffering to the worst team in the Great West Conference then yeah we have been a cellar dweler the past couple of years but i blame that on our previous coach. Now however we made leaps and bounds last year and i can only see us getting better this year. Ed Lamb is a hell of a recruiter (at San Diego) and a coach and this year SUU will only get better. I know for a fact we are not the worst FCS team out west as there were several teams in the Big Sky that i know we could have beaten given the chance. I must say Black Falkin if your secondary has not gotten any better from last year i think you guys are in trouble as our pass happy spread attack, just an honest observation.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:When was the last time EWU played SUU? that will be interesting.
i think it was 2003 or 2002 & Eastern KILLED Southern Utah.
SUUTbird wrote:Worst Team? Well if you are reffering to the worst team in the Great West Conference then yeah we have been a cellar dweler the past couple of years but i blame that on our previous coach. Now however we made leaps and bounds last year and i can only see us getting better this year.
I take it back, Im not gonna say that. Im sure Southern Utah is a fine University, however, they must stick a straw a suck some of those left over california players, or develop another pipline. Southern Utah can be developed into a strong program and hopefully they will.

SUUTbird wrote: I must say Black Falkin if your secondary has not gotten any better from last year i think you guys are in trouble as our pass happy spread attack, just an honest observation.
Eastern's team's success, lies 90% on the shoulders of Matt Nichols. It has been that way for the past 3 seasons. He is a very good player and also a very inconsistent player. anyone who watched the 2006 Montana game watched him throw 3 PICS, TO THE SAME GUY, ON THE SAME OUT ROUTE.
Last edited by BlackFalkin on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

As i saird, SUU has a really good chance to beat you guys this year :D
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

BlackFalkin wrote:
Remember when EWU killed that perfect season last year?

Yes I do

And Im sure the football team does to, WEBER STATE WILL BE OUT FOR BLOOD.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

I hope so,but that was payback. Eastern has a history of underestimating weak teams and 3 years ago Weber was weak and beat us on homecoming on the luckiest play ive ever seen. :lol:
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

BlackFalkin wrote:I hope so,but that was payback. Eastern has a history of underestimating weak teams and 3 years ago Weber was weak and beat us on homecoming on the luckiest play ive ever seen. :lol:

Both teams are going to be good this year, It is going to make for a very interesting game.