Football Championship Subdivision discussions
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: Killer Snail

SWAC to drop football conference championship game after 2017 season

Postby dbackjon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:29 am

The Southwestern Athletic Conference made a surprise announcement Tuesday morning that it was dropping its football conference championship game after the 2017 season.

"With the creation of the Celebration Bowl as a national showcase for HBCU football, the Council of Presidents and Chancellors decided to suspend the championship game format after the 2017 season," said commissioner Duer Sharp in a news release. "By focusing on the Celebration Bowl, we can continue to grow (the game) as an HBCU classic for the teams and fans of both conferences, and for HBCU football nationally."

Under the current format, the winner of the SWAC championship game represented the conference in the Celebration Bowl, which is used to determine a Black College Football National Champion. Grambling won the Celebration Bowl last season after defeating Alcorn State in the SWAC championship game.

Beginning in 2018, the SWAC representative will be determined by the team with the best regular season record.

The 2017 season also marks the first year of a new SWAC scheduling format. Previously, each of the 10 teams in the league played each other in the regular season, allowing for definite head-to-head tiebreakers.

Under the new schedule, SWAC teams will play seven conference games instead of nine, meaning its possible the SWAC champion could not be decided by head-to-head records in the event of a tie.

89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: Fisher of Men

Re: SWAC to drop football conference championship game after 2017 season

Postby 89Hen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:28 pm

Too bad, it was such a huge event.

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Postby JohnStOnge » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:09 pm

The Celebration Bowl is also astoundingly well attended. Here are four screen shots I took as the video of it rotated around the stadium at opening kickoff:
ImageImageImageImage
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came

GAD_SU
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southern U.
A.K.A.: GAD

Postby GAD_SU » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:07 pm

GAD_SU
Level1
Level1

Postby GAD_SU » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:16 pm

GAD_SU
Level1
Level1

Postby GAD_SU » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:18 pm

2018 SWAC champ game had 20,652 in attendance
btw JohnStOnge could you post some pictures from some McNeese State home playoff games?

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Postby SuperHornet » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:38 pm

I could see dropping the "play everybody" format OR dropping the championship game, but not both. I'd like to have an obvious H2H tiebreaker. The idea of they beat so-and-so but lost to someone else tends to get pretty dicey....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Postby JohnStOnge » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:22 pm

GAD_SU wrote:2018 SWAC champ game had 20,652 in attendance
btw JohnStOnge could you post some pictures from some McNeese State home playoff games?

McNeese has had attendance issues recently. Unfortunately they also haven't had a lot of playoff games recently.

But I wasn't talking about SWAC championship game attendance. I was talking about Celebration Bowl attendance. If you watched the three Celebration Bowls so far it's pretty obvious that the actual butts in the seats attendance hasn't been nearly what's implied by the reported attendance.

For instance look at the series of pictures I posted above. The reported attendance for that game is 31.096. The Georgia Dome football game seating capacity is 71,000. So 31,096 would mean that 1 of each 2.3 seats is filled. More than 1 of 3. Look at those pictures. Does that look like 1 in each 2 or 3 seats were filled? Does it look like anywhere even CLOSE to 1 in every 2 or 3 seats were filled?

The Celebration Bowl is an abomination. The MEAC allowed to SWAC to drag it down.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Postby JohnStOnge » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:40 pm

BTW when did the SWAC decide to not drop its championship game after the 2017 season?
Could I ever be a star?

dal4018
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Postby dal4018 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:32 am

All this started well after the '00 season!!!!!!

dal4018
Level4
Level4

Postby dal4018 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:33 am

JohnStOnge wrote:

McNeese has had attendance issues recently. Unfortunately they also haven't had a lot of playoff games recently.

But I wasn't talking about SWAC championship game attendance. I was talking about Celebration Bowl attendance. If you watched the three Celebration Bowls so far it's pretty obvious that the actual butts in the seats attendance hasn't been nearly what's implied by the reported attendance.

For instance look at the series of pictures I posted above. The reported attendance for that game is 31.096. The Georgia Dome football game seating capacity is 71,000. So 31,096 would mean that 1 of each 2.3 seats is filled. Less than 1 of 3. Look at those pictures. Does that look like 1 in each 2 or 3 seats were filled? Does it look like anywhere even CLOSE to 1 in every 2 or 3 seats were filled?

The Celebration Bowl is an abomination. The MEAC allowed to SWAC to drag it down.
Yes the MEAC should have said no.

GAD_SU
Level1
Level1

Postby GAD_SU » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:56 pm

JohnStOnge wrote:

For instance look at the series of pictures I posted above. The reported attendance for that game is 31.096. The Georgia Dome football game seating capacity is 71,000. So 31,096 would mean that 1 of each 2.3 seats is filled. More than 1 of 3. Look at those pictures. Does that look like 1 in each 2 or 3 seats were filled? Does it look like anywhere even CLOSE to 1 in every 2 or 3 seats were filled?

I never said anything about the Celebration Bowl
Can we get some crowd pictures of McNeese States home playoff games? Eastern Washington or Jacksonville State

GAD_SU
Level1
Level1

Postby GAD_SU » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:00 pm

dal4018 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

For instance look at the series of pictures I posted above. The reported attendance for that game is 31.096. The Georgia Dome football game seating capacity is 71,000. So 31,096 would mean that 1 of each 2.3 seats is filled. Less than 1 of 3. Look at those pictures. Does that look like 1 in each 2 or 3 seats were filled? Does it look like anywhere even CLOSE to 1 in every 2 or 3 seats were filled?

Yes the MEAC should have said no.

Why should the MEAC have said no? What are your pros and cons for the playoffs vs the bowl game?

dal4018
Level4
Level4

Postby dal4018 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:34 am

GAD_SU wrote:
dal4018 wrote:Yes the MEAC should have said no.

Why should the MEAC have said no? What are your pros and cons for the playoffs vs the bowl game?

The playoffs I want to see how these schools compete against non HBCU schools.

BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON UNIV

Postby BlackFalkin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:39 pm

dal4018 wrote:
GAD_SU wrote:Why should the MEAC have said no? What are your pros and cons for the playoffs vs the bowl game?

The playoffs I want to see how these schools compete against non HBCU schools.

Teams from both conferences should have the option to forgo a conference championship game, and/or celebration bowl, if they are selected for the FCS playoffs. If a MEAC/SWAC team receives and accepts an FCS playoff bid, the next best team from said conference is then selected for the game/Bowl game. If a team declines their potential (at-large only) bid in the FCS playoffs, the next best, non-HBCU, FCS team should receive the at-large bid as chosen by the committee like normal.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: Fisher of Men

Postby 89Hen » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:20 am

The con for MEAC or SWAC participating in the playoffs is a guaranteed loss.

Return to “Championship Subdivision Football - FCS”