Football Championship Subdivision discussions
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Rate the media coverage of your football team

Post by YoUDeeMan »

How good a job does the local media do in covering your football team? I'm specifically talking about newspaper or online coverage with in-depth articles.

I know Southern Illinios has good local coverage, as does Montana. Delaware has excellent coverage with several in-depth articles each week including spring, summer, and fall coverage.

How would you rate the press your local team gets?
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
MSUGrad
I am a fan of: Montana State University

Re: Rate the media coverage of your football team

Post by MSUGrad »

Cluck U wrote:How good a job does the local media do in covering your football team? I'm specifically talking about newspaper or online coverage with in-depth articles.

I know Southern Illinios has good local coverage, as does Montana. Delaware has excellent coverage with several in-depth articles each week including spring, summer, and fall coverage.

If we're talking about the actual football games, practices and feature articles about the student athletes, I'd rate it about a 3.5 on a scale of 10. In fact, I believe that place located on exit 101 on Interstate 90 gets as good or better coverage than Montana State.

If we're talking about all the negative crap associated with college athletics, well, suffice it to say any newspaper or magazine geek is more than happy to write about the folks that used to give them swirlies, stuff them in lockers...hell, we even get negative national coverage on a continual basis whether it's our head basketball coach shooting from the lip about Native American basketball players or talking about a community that refuses to accept Bozeman is a college town and not the latest trendy Vail type vacation destination for the extreme rich and famous.

I think the local paper is more infatuated with what hollywierd movie star was in town drinking their latte than covering Montana State sports.
canyoncat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: MSU

Post by canyoncat »

I agree, the coverage for MSU isn't very good at all in this state! When I turn on the local news, it is usually something regarding the Grizzlies. It is getting better, but there needs to be some improvement. The only way to improve is to win more games.
xtremegriz
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by xtremegriz »

canyoncat wrote: When I turn on the local news, it is usually something regarding the Grizzlies.
I guess the Bozoland news has better things to talk about! ;)

I guess our coverage is good. All of our games this year are televised on KPAX. Most are live, but a few early in the season are on tape delay at like 10:30 PM.

During Griz season, the Missoulian Sports section is pretty much all about Griz Football, same with the sports news coverage.
MONTANA MONTANA STATE
WA Griz
A.K.A.: WA Griz

Post by WA Griz »

This is one of those issues you really can't answer until you hit the road with your team and see what kind of coverage other schools are getting. Both Montana schools get better coverage than just about every team I've ever seen. Hell, when whe played Marshall in their hometown for the championship, the coverage was less than Montana schools might get for a homecoming.
Maine and Hofstra didnt' get much, though I did keep two very, very short stories from the Globe and the Times after the games were played. Before the games there wasn't much in any of the local papers. McNeese, I thought, got lots of ink, but the Laney character that writes about them can get pretty homerish. I'm surprised how much coverage Sam Houston gets by the Houston Chronicle, which seems to take a real interest in the team when SHSU is hot. I realize the Huntsville paper gives them more coverage, but landing a story in the Chronicle seems like a bigger deal. I'm not so sure how well the coverage is when Sam is down on its luck.
The absolute worst coverage for a team doing well has to be the Oregonian's coverage of Portland State. The newspaper is printed a block away from PGE Park. The newspaper offices are right around the corner from the PSU campus and yet the Vikings don't get crap for coverage. Eastern Washington is another one that can have a great year with a Payton award winning QB and still not make the front of te sports section or get a color picture.
xtremegriz

Post by xtremegriz »

Isn't PSU the largest university in the Big Sky? Not sure.
MONTANA MONTANA STATE
BlazerDawg
I am a fan of: Valdosta State

Post by BlazerDawg »

Depends on which school I'm rating. UGA gets dang good coverage. :roll:

VSU gets some coverage online, but it should get more.

GMC gets almost nothing.
Georgia Military College Class of '96
Valdosta State University Class of '98
The University of Georgia (grad school) Class of '04
BisonBacker
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by BisonBacker »

I would say that NDSU gets very good coverage from both the print media as well as TV and Radio. This year they are entering a new contract for coverage on Television. It should be interesting to see how it compares to the TV coverage we had in the past. We had a good coverage area in ND but very few games were televised. We have more games televised this year then any year I can remember. I can't say how it compares to other teams such as Montana or SIU but NDSU is the team in the state to watch and with Minnesota again televised this year as it was last year it is thee ticket. Next year with a full Gateway slate I can only imagine that media coverage will continue to grow.
UAalum72
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: University at Albany

Post by UAalum72 »

Nothing on practice so far.

Stories on the NY Giants' camp at Albany every day, including one
Small school, big dreams about 'small school players' in the pros.

Nice that they assign a college football story to the (non-football) Siena College beat writer, who thinks that UAlbany has a similar football profile to North Dakota State, Pikeville (NAIA, 1000 students, eastern Kentucky), Occidental (D-III, 1800 students, Los Angeles), and Western Oregon (D-II, 4000 students) - that is, college football is either Division I FBS (if he even knows the subdivision name) or everybody else.

Stories today about former Albany players debuting with the Eagles tonight.
guinzone
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Youngstown State
A.K.A.: Let's Go Guins

Post by guinzone »

Youngstown State
Grade: A-

TV: Coverage on all 5 Local Stations with stories every day of the week. We also have a TV contract with our Fox to broadcast all home games on tape delay. Grade: A

Radio: Moved from weaker signal AM and FM stations to the 2nd best signal station in Northeast Ohio, and Top 5 best in Ohio which can be reached down in Columbus! 570 WKBN is the home of the 'guins now. The Cumulus Radio Stations really do not cover YSU well. Grade: A-

Print: Vindicator covers YSU footbal great with columns every day of the week and tremendous coverage during game week of the opposition and of the upcoming games. The Warren Trib does a BAD job at covering YSU. They have 1 reporter who isn't bad, but they don't give YSU much coverage other than 2 days a week and they actually have Kent State stories in the paper because there is a KSU branch in Warren. Grade: B

Overall Media in Youngstown: A-
Overall Media for Akron: D [No Akron TV Stations, and Newspaper rarely covers the Zips]
Overall Media for Kent: C- [No TV in Kent, but they do have a lot of online coverage of KSU and in their paper]
Proud Youngstown State Fan
JDCGSU
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: TUPAC

Post by JDCGSU »

For GSU
Major Markets

Metro Atlanta F-
Macon C-
Savannah B-
Statesboro(LOCAL) A

As far as the Metro Atlanta market they usually only mention GSU if something bad has happened. Most of the sports reporters are UGA jocksniffers. Pretty bad when GT who IS located in the Atlanta market and who has the most recent "NC" gets less pub than UGA whose location is NOT considered in the metro area. 40%+/- of GSU students come from the Metro area and most return but the local press could careless.

F UGAy.
beamout2000
I am a fan of: Texas State Bobcats

Post by beamout2000 »

We are 30 miles away from one of the premier college athletic programs in the country, UT Austin, so guess who gets the coverage. It isn't Texas State. We get small stories on our football games, almost no stories on basketball and almost none on baseball, unless we are playing UT. That is in the Austin paper (San Marcos is in the Austin metro). The local San Marcos paper does a good job. Occasionally we will get some limited radio coverage on The Zone in Austin or The Ticket in San Antonio. The San Antonio paper doesn't do much on us, but some. We do get into the Houston paper occasionally. One television channel that does a really good job is News 8 Austin, which is an all news cable channel. They host our weekly coaches show and do reports on the team all the time because they have a San Marcos bureau.
Bobcat FanNation Page Admin: http://www.fannation.com/groups/show/482
BobcatFans Message Board Mod:http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums
GOKATS
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by GOKATS »

The local newspaper does a pretty good job of covering the Bobcats- it is much improved over the last couple years with a new sports editor. There are daily updates on practice (though some days it's nothing more than printing what the SID sends out as press releases) and individual player stories. Once the season starts they are very good at pre-game and game day coverage.

Radio has affiliates throughout Montana so most of the state receives live coverage. Ten of eleven regular season games are telecast live- eight statewide and two on Altitude which is nationwide on DirecTV and Dish and regional on cable.
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: SIU

Post by skinny_uncle »

Cluck U wrote:How good a job does the local media do in covering your football team? I'm specifically talking about newspaper or online coverage with in-depth articles.

It's interesting a Delaware fan knows Southern Illinois has good local coverage. While the local newspapers do a good job and we have had an excellent radio announcer who has covered the team for decades, I would still like to see more of our (football) games on the tube.
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

GeauxColonels
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Nicholls State

Post by GeauxColonels »

Is there anything worse than "Horrendously Awful"???

:puke:
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5

Post by YoUDeeMan »

beamout2000 wrote:We are 30 miles away from one of the premier college athletic programs in the country, UT Austin, so guess who gets the coverage. It isn't Texas State. We get small stories on our football games, almost no stories on basketball and almost none on baseball, unless we are playing UT. That is in the Austin paper (San Marcos is in the Austin metro). The local San Marcos paper does a good job. Occasionally we will get some limited radio coverage on The Zone in Austin or The Ticket in San Antonio. The San Antonio paper doesn't do much on us, but some. We do get into the Houston paper occasionally. One television channel that does a really good job is News 8 Austin, which is an all news cable channel. They host our weekly coaches show and do reports on the team all the time because they have a San Marcos bureau.
San Marcos is a beautiful area...you have a crystal clear river – very unique because it just pops out of the ground. I spent 3 1/2 years in Dallas volunteering with the Plano Recreation Department and we took people kayaking, canoeing, and camping for two days on the San Marcos. Good memories of that area. :D

Glad you have good local coverage for your team.

YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5

Post by YoUDeeMan »

skinny_uncle wrote:

It's interesting a Delaware fan knows Southern Illinois has good local coverage. While the local newspapers do a good job and we have had an excellent radio announcer who has covered the team for decades, I would still like to see more of our (football) games on the tube.
I've been following your team and have bookmarked the local paper that covers SIU since they prepared for UD in 2003. Your coach Kill was a class act before and after the game and I've respected him and followed his program ever since.

That 2003 experience also made me look up what a Saluki was. :lol: That knowledge actually allowed me to help a co-worker in Colorado break the ice with an SIU grad with whom she was having problems. Once she mentioned that she knew what a Saluki was, he did a 180 and they got along extremely well. He had not met a person outside Illinois that knew about Salukis. :D

AppGuy04
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Appalachian State
A.K.A.: Resident Apphole

Post by AppGuy04 »

Not much else in Western NC football wise, other than Tennessee, but thats a completely different state, so I don't think they compete much. When we get sports cover pages as we have several times in Charlotte, which is approx 3 hours away, I'd say its pretty good
R.A.
I am a fan of: Howard University

Post by R.A. »

Well, we're in a major metro area and the Washington Post covers everybody... but coverage still sux. I'll give it a 1 on a scale of 1-10.
octiparan

Post by octiparan »

Living in the Portland, Oregon media market I'm exposed to the PSU media coverage. Until Granville arrived this year the major paper would do a minor obligatory story on the Vikings. Typically these were run after the much larger UO & OSU articles. There is always an article every other year when they play Montana at PGE Park. With Granville here there now have been a number of articles but mostly on Granville. The new uniforms have generated a couple of stories too.

Other than the radio station that covers PSU, you rarely hear a radio or TV sports announcer mention PSU scores. They will breathlessly do a story on the hairstylist for a Portland Trailblazer than report a score. The sports announcers for Oregon and Oregon State do a better job of covering PSU than the media here.
Diplomacy without arms is like music without instruments. - Frederick the Great
lizrdgizrd
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Appalachian State

Post by lizrdgizrd »

octiparan wrote:Living in the Portland, Oregon media market I'm exposed to the PSU media coverage. Until Granville arrived this year the major paper would do a minor obligatory story on the Vikings. Typically these were run after the much larger UO & OSU articles. There is always an article every other year when they play Montana at PGE Park. With Granville here there now have been a number of articles but mostly on Granville. The new uniforms have generated a couple of stories too.

Other than the radio station that covers PSU, you rarely hear a radio or TV sports announcer mention PSU scores. They will breathlessly do a story on the hairstylist for a Portland Trailblazer than report a score. The sports announcers for Oregon and Oregon State do a better job of covering PSU than the media here.
FYI: Glanville
octiparan

Post by octiparan »

lizrdgizrd wrote:
octiparan wrote:Living in the Portland, Oregon media market I'm exposed to the PSU media coverage. Until Granville arrived this year the major paper would do a minor obligatory story on the Vikings. Typically these were run after the much larger UO & OSU articles. There is always an article every other year when they play Montana at PGE Park. With Granville here there now have been a number of articles but mostly on Granville. The new uniforms have generated a couple of stories too.

FYI: Glanville
Thanks for the correction. I gotta stop drinking at work.
Diplomacy without arms is like music without instruments. - Frederick the Great
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: SIU

Post by skinny_uncle »

Cluck U wrote:
skinny_uncle wrote: It's interesting a Delaware fan knows Southern Illinois has good local coverage. While the local newspapers do a good job and we have had an excellent radio announcer who has covered the team for decades, I would still like to see more of our (football) games on the tube.
I've been following your team and have bookmarked the local paper that covers SIU since they prepared for UD in 2003. Your coach Kill was a class act before and after the game and I've respected him and followed his program ever since.

That 2003 experience also made me look up what a Saluki was. :lol: That knowledge actually allowed me to help a co-worker in Colorado break the ice with an SIU grad with whom she was having problems. Once she mentioned that she knew what a Saluki was, he did a 180 and they got along extremely well. He had not met a person outside Illinois that knew about Salukis. :D
After making the NCAA Tourney in basketball six straight years, most sports fans in this country now know what a Saluki is. I'm sure folks in Virginia and Kansas do.
:mrgreen:
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

enicmt

Post by enicmt »

Nearly 30 football games featuring Big Sky Conference teams will be televised in 2007, including 17 conferences clashes.

Altitude Sports & Entertainment, a regional cable network available nationally on DirecTV and Dish Network, as well as many cable packages in the Western United States, will broadcast four games during the 2007 season.

Altitude’s coverage begins on Sept. 22 with Montana State’s game at Weber State.
Altitude will televise the Idaho State-Montana State game the following Saturday, followed by Northern Colorado’s contest at Idaho State on Oct. 6. Altitude will also show the Weber State-Idaho State rivalry game from Ogden, Utah on Nov. 3.

KPAX and Montana’s News Stations will continue to bring Big Sky football to the state of Montana with eight conferences games featuring the Montana Grizzlies. KPAX’s conference coverage begins Sept. 29 when Weber State travels to Washington-Grizzly Stadium. The coverage features the 107th meeting between Montana and Montana State from Bozeman, Mont., on Nov. 17.

Max Media of Montana continues its coverage of Montana State football for the third straight season. Max Media, available throughout the Treasure State will show five conference games, as well as two non-conference games.

KREM/KSKN of Spokane, Wash., will televise the Oct. 13 game between Montana State and Eastern Washington from Cheney, Wash. Max Media will take the KREM/KSN feed back to Montana.

“The Big Sky continues to maintain one of the top television packages of all Football Championship Subdivisions conferences,’’ said Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton. Altitude, Montana’s News Stations, Max Media and KREM/KSKN continue to be outstanding television partners for the entire league.’’

Big Sky teams will also appears on The mtn., the Mountain West Conference’s network, Fox Sports, and KTVB in Boise.

The Big Sky expects to announce more television games prior to the start of the 2007 season.

Televised Games Featuring Big Sky Teams

Below is a list of games featuring Big Sky Conference teams that will be televised in 2006-07. This list is as of July 16, 2007. The Big Sky expects more televised games will be announced at at later date:

KPAX-Montana’s News Stations
Sept. 1 - Southern Utah at Montana, 1:05 p.m. (Tape Delay in Montana)
Sept. 8 - Fort Lewis at Montana 1:05 p.m. (Tape Delay in Montana)
Sept. 22 - Albany at Montana, 1:05 p.m. (Tape Delay in Montana)
Sept. 29 - Weber State at Montana, 1:05 p.m.
Oct. 6 - Eastern Washington at Montana, 1:05 p.m.
Oct. 13 - Montana at Sacramento State, 2:05 p.m.
Oct. 20 - Northern Colorado at Montana, 1:05 p.m.
Oct. 27 - Montana at Northern Arizona, 3:35 p.m.
Nov. 3 - Portland State at Montana, 1:05 p.m.
Nov. 10 - Montana at Idaho State, 3:05 p.m.
Nov. 17 - Montana at Montana State, 12:35 p.m.

*KPAX is available in western Montana. Games will also be shown statewide on Montana’s News Stations.

Max Media - Montana
Sept. 15 - Dixie State at Montana State, 1:05 p.m.
Oct. 6 - Southern Utah at Montana State, 1:35 p.m.
Oct. 13 - Montana State at Eastern Washington, 2:05 p.m.
Oct. 20 - Sacramento State at Montana State, 1:05 p.m.
Oct. 27 - Montana State at Northern Colorado, 12:05 p.m.
Nov. 3 - Northern Arizona at Montana State, 1:05 p.m.
Nov. 10 - Montana State at Portland State, 1:35 p.m.

* Max Media is available throughout Montana. Check local listings for games.

Altitude Sports & Entertainment
Sept. 22 - Montana State at Weber State, 1:35 p.m.
Sept. 29 - Idaho State at Montana State, 1:35 p.m.
Oct. 6 - Northern Colorado at Idaho State, 2:05 p.m.
Nov. 3 - Idaho State at Weber State, 1:35 p.m.
*Altitude can be found on channel 410 on Dish Network, and channel 644 on DirecTV. It is also available on many cable packages in Big Sky areas such as Montana, Colorado, Idaho and Utah.

KREM/KSKN - Spokane, Wash.
Oct. 13 - Montana State at Eastern Washington, 2:05 p.m.

KTVB - Boise, Idaho
Aug. 30 - Weber State at Boise State, 7:05 p.m.
Fox Sports Northwest
Sept. 15 - Idaho State at Oregon State, 3:35 p.m.

The mtn.
Sept. 22 - Portland State at San Diego State, 3:35 p.m.
Oct. 20 - Eastern Washington at BYU, 3:35 p.m.
*The mtn., is Mountain West TV. It is available through Comcast in some western states.

*bigskyconf.com*