Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 9-10

Post by JALMOND »

Two weeks in to the season and still a bunch of questions to be answered by most of the conference teams (and some have new questions that need to be answered). Some impressive performances so far in non-conference action, and some not so hot showings. Once we get in to conference play, things should iron out. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). Really not much movement this time around. As usual, all are my opinion only. Here we go.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week won at Northern Arizona 31-26, this week at Washington State (FBS Pac-12)---Did the Eagles eliminate their biggest threat in the conference race last week or are there still some others out there? They won't be awestruck this week as they have won at Wazzu before.

2. Montana (4)---Last week beat Drake (Pioneer) 48-16, this week at Western Illinois (Missouri Valley)---The Grizzlies are looking sharp after overcoming a slow start to put away a non-scholly team. What is strange is that Hauck seems to have picked up where he left off. Tough road game this weekend.

3. Weber State (3)---Last week, won at Cal Poly 24-17, this week South Dakota (Missouri Valley) at home---Some sluggish performances can be expected as the Wildcats work out some bugs in the offense, but they are relying on their defense to pull them through. This week a tough Missouri Valley team comes calling.

4. Sacramento State (5)---Last week, lost at San Diego State (FBS Mountain West) 28-14, this week at Northern Colorado (non-conference)---Oh so close for the Hornets last week as they were up 1 late in the 4th quarter against a Mountain West team who is expected to contend for their conference title. They get a weird non-conference tilt this weekend against a fellow Big Sky team.

5. Northern Arizona (2)---Last week lost to Eastern Washington at home, 31-26, this week at Missouri State (Missouri Valley)---Poised to make a statement, the Lumberjacks lost the game and their quarterback. Now they have to hit the road and enter Missouri Valley territory, something that isn't always an easy thing to do.

6. UC-Davis (6)---Last week, beat San Diego (Pioneer) at home 54-21, this week at Stanford (FBS Pac-12)---The Aggies woke up just in time last weekend and avoided a possible embarrassment to a non-scholly team. Flying high, they have to head back to the Bay Area and play one of the top dogs in the Pac-12.

7. Montana State (7)---Last week lost at South Dakota State (Missouri Valley) 45-14, this week Wagner (Northeast) at home---Feeling good after a comeback home win against the Missouri Valley, the Bobcats found the road through the Valley to be much tougher. They come back home to face what should be an easier opponent from an easier conference.

8. Idaho (8)---Last week, beat Western New Mexico (DII) at home 56-10, this week, bye---The Vandals recovered from being FBS road kill the week before, in order to feast on DII road kill at their house. Being road kill and eating road kill should give one a reason to take the week off.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---Last week, lost at South Dakota (Missouri Valley) 43-28, this week Sacramento State (non-conference) at home---The Bears found that, while they may make things interesting coming back against the Southland, it doesn't work against the Missouri Valley. This week, they welcome the Hornets in a non-conference matchup.

10. Southern Utah (10)---Last week, lost at Oregon State (FBS Pac-12) 48-25, this week at Arizona (FBS Pac-12)---Any chance the Thunderbirds might have entertained at pulling off the upset was put to rest early on against the Pac-12. They get to stay in the Pac-12 this weekend, but they face a struggling team this weekend.

11. Idaho State (11)---Last week, bye, this week at California (FBS Pac-12)---The Bengals welcomed a win over a DII school by taking last week off, giving them two weeks to prepare for a Pac-12 opponent. Hard to believe, but two weeks may not even be enough preparation. But they will play.

12. Cal Poly (12)---Last week, lost to Weber State at home 24-17, this week Brown (Ivy) at home---Maybe the Mustangs are turning the corner and will make some noise this year. They certainly gave their brethren, Weber State all they could handle in a home loss. This week, an unusual matchup as they bring in an Ivy League school.

13. Portland State (13)---Last week, lost at Oregon (FBS Pac-12) 62-14, this week, College of Idaho (NAIA) at home---Being that the excitement of last week's game was not if the Vikings would lose but by how much, the outcome was encouraging. They come in for their home away from home opener this weekend, and should snap their long losing streak.

RECAP: 1, then 2-6, 7-10 a bit behind, 11-12 lagging, 13 off the pace
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 9-10

Post by SuperHornet »

Looks pretty good, JAL. About my only gripes are UM moving up that far based on a win over a weak team in a weak conference (albeit FCS) and NAU dropping that far after losing to a peer (though that was likely because it was a home game AND that they were too high to begin with.

The rest of it looks fairly solid. Man, I wish we could have put the fork into San Diego State. I've hated them ever since I was at the game where that punk Marshall Faulk ran wild on the UOP defense for a then-record 400+ yards. I was hoping for personal revenge....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

I’d move Davis up to 3 for now.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

SuperHornet wrote:Looks pretty good, JAL. About my only gripes are UM moving up that far based on a win over a weak team in a weak conference (albeit FCS) and NAU dropping that far after losing to a peer (though that was likely because it was a home game AND that they were too high to begin with.

The rest of it looks fairly solid. Man, I wish we could have put the fork into San Diego State. I've hated them ever since I was at the game where that punk Marshall Faulk ran wild on the UOP defense for a then-record 400+ yards. I was hoping for personal revenge....
Griz were kind of a default slot this week. The logical choice would have been to move Weber up to #2. Cal Poly could be a good sleeper team later, but for now I kind of wanted to see the Wildcats put them away. Of course, if the Hornets could have held on to beat San Diego State, a #2 would have been a no brainer for them. Davis was kind of in the same boat as Montana but the Aggies' game was much closer than the score would indicate. Someone had to be #2 so I went with Montana this week, although 2-6 are all pretty tight.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Cal Poly could be moving up during the season, after the Weber St result.