Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
I've only been watching Bison football since 1967, so I have a little catching up to do. Back when they beat Montana in a couple bowl games, lost to San Diego St in another. Saw them play I-AA schools over that time, prior to 2003. Beat NAU in 1980, BBQ in 1979. Always wanted to see the Bison play GSU back in the options days to see who was better.
Bully for you. So you saw a dozen I-AA games. :lol: :dunce:
I was a FCS/I-AA season ticket holder during the decade you guys are saying, was so much better than this decade. So yes, I see a dozen game a year. :D
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:When a three win Idaho State is beating Nevada, an SLC not named SHSU has an P5 scalp, and a MEAC kid is tearing it up on Sunday Night Football, I'd say FCS is just fine from a talent standpoint. Bigger, faster, better athletes and at least as competitive against FBS.
:lol: You've made it abundantly clear you don't know I-AA history. The MEAC and SWAC used to put more players in the NFL than any other I-AA conferences. I guess you don't remember a Northwestern State beating TCU back in the early 2000's. A 3 win ISU beating a 3 win Nevada... sounds similar to a 20013 5 DI win EWU beating Idaho. IOW, a big nothing burger.

So much fail on your side. :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: Bully for you. So you saw a dozen I-AA games. :lol: :dunce:
I was a FCS/I-AA season ticket holder during the decade you guys are saying, was so much better than this decade. So yes, I see a dozen game a year. :D
You have very little to compare. You're too close to a dominant team to see the big picture and the ebbs and flows. I still think you're bitter because this talk of the division being down somehow makes you think we're trying to put down NDSU. As I said before, that's not the case.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:When a three win Idaho State is beating Nevada, an SLC not named SHSU has an P5 scalp, and a MEAC kid is tearing it up on Sunday Night Football, I'd say FCS is just fine from a talent standpoint. Bigger, faster, better athletes and at least as competitive against FBS.
:lol: You've made it abundantly clear you don't know I-AA history. The MEAC and SWAC used to put more players in the NFL than any other I-AA conferences. I guess you don't remember a Northwestern State beating TCU back in the early 2000's. A 3 win ISU beating a 3 win Nevada... sounds similar to a 20013 5 DI win EWU beating Idaho. IOW, a big nothing burger.

Ummm yeah...if the title of the thread was "The MEAC and SWAC are Worse Now and therefore so is all of FCS"

I was just giving a couple examples off the top of my head about the CURRENT state of FCS. I can dig up some more if you'd like.

The SWAC and MEAC are down but still putting players in the league. EWU has two wins against ranked Pac 12 opponents. SAC state has two PAC 12 wins this decade.

You haters have already lost the computer ratings debate. Perhaps you should give us a year by year analysis of FBS wins. That might help your argument.

PS...I'm sorry the CAA'nt struggled this year and has been owned by the PL and NEC champs in the playoffs lately, but you still have a shot at redemption with the Black Bears and I'm guessing SBU and Elon will continue to show improvement over the next few years.

:lol:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
You have very little to compare. You're too close to a dominant team to see the big picture and the ebbs and flows. I still think you're bitter because this talk of the division being down somehow makes you think we're trying to put down NDSU. As I said before, that's not the case.
Not bitter, just don't understand your statement of how FCS was better, when it looks very similar to what it was in the previous decade. Just different teams at the top.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: :lol: You've made it abundantly clear you don't know I-AA history. The MEAC and SWAC used to put more players in the NFL than any other I-AA conferences. I guess you don't remember a Northwestern State beating TCU back in the early 2000's. A 3 win ISU beating a 3 win Nevada... sounds similar to a 20013 5 DI win EWU beating Idaho. IOW, a big nothing burger.

Ummm yeah...if the title of the thread was "The MEAC and SWAC are Worse Now and therefore so is all of FCS"

I was just giving a couple examples off the top of my head about the CURRENT state of FCS. I can dig up some more if you'd like.

The SWAC and MEAC are down but still putting players in the league. EWU has two wins against ranked Pac 12 opponents. SAC state has two PAC 12 wins this decade.

You haters have already lost the computer ratings debate. Perhaps you should give us a year by year analysis of FBS wins. That might help your argument.

PS...I'm sorry the CAA'nt struggled this year and has been owned by the PL and NEC champs in the playoffs lately, but you still have a shot at redemption with the Black Bears and I'm guessing SBU and Elon will continue to show improvement over the next few years.

1. YOU were the one using MEAC to try to prop up your argument, so that's a big loss on your end.
2. I'm not a hater dumb ass. I'm still a UD and I-AA fan.
3. I did not use computer ratings, so go take that up with others that did.
4. The CAA is down, that's true. So is the SoCon. So is the OVC.
5. Didn't a CAA team still manage to beat the #2 tourney seed from the Big Sky on the road?
6. You suck for keeping this thread going.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: You have very little to compare. You're too close to a dominant team to see the big picture and the ebbs and flows. I still think you're bitter because this talk of the division being down somehow makes you think we're trying to put down NDSU. As I said before, that's not the case.
Not bitter, just don't understand your statement of how FCS was better, when it looks very similar to what it was in the previous decade. Just different teams at the top.
Looks to you and Kalm. Others that have been around I-AA a lot longer see it for what it is. I don't give a rats ass who is at the top. This isn't an old school vs new school debate.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Looks to you and Kalm. Others that have been around I-AA a lot longer see it for what it is. I don't give a rats ass who is at the top. This isn't an old school vs new school debate.
It looks like CAA and So Con fans, that are down right now, are claiming FCS is down, while others that are up, are saying the opposite. You've only been watching it for 30 years, but claim to be the old wise owl on the issue. I've watched the I-AA games with Montana, Marshall and Georgia Southern, probably all 6 championships. Just because your team isn't I-AA, doesn't mean you are not watching games.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

1. YOU were the one using MEAC to try to prop up your argument, so that's a big loss on your end.
Again, just a quick example off the top of my head that's true.
2. I'm not a hater dumb ass. I'm still a UD and I-AA fan.
I'm sorry...hugs?
3. I did not use computer ratings, so go take that up with others that did.
I know you don't like the computers and I typically appreciate your points in that regard so sorry for including you in that shot. :mrgreen: But other than computer archives and FBS wins, what else do we really have to support 93's theory? Eyeballs? :lol:
4. The CAA is down, that's true. So is the SoCon. So is the OVC.
The Socon was down this year a bit but pretty good a couple of years ago. Remember when the Citadel beat USC? :mrgreen: The OVC was actually up this year with two playoff wins by two separate teams. SEMO looked pretty decent.
5. Didn't a CAA team still manage to beat the #2 tourney seed from the Big Sky on the road?
Yes...because that BSC team played CAA style offense... :ohno: :mrgreen: Maine's front 7 is really, really good.
6. You suck for keeping this thread going.
Still friends?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: Looks to you and Kalm. Others that have been around I-AA a lot longer see it for what it is. I don't give a rats ass who is at the top. This isn't an old school vs new school debate.
It looks like CAA and So Con fans, that are down right now, are claiming FCS is down, while others that are up, are saying the opposite. You've only been watching it for 30 years, but claim to be the old wise owl on the issue. I've watched the I-AA games with Montana, Marshall and Georgia Southern, probably all 6 championships. Just because your team isn't I-AA, doesn't mean you are not watching games.
:lol: There's a lot more to it than watching games. I've been active on I-AA message boards since 1996 (back in the AOL and eScribe days). I ran the poll for AGS for many years. I've paid as much attention to I-AA football as any fan. Hell, I've even gotten in arguments with Ken Massey over ratings. :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:Still friends?
Of course dum dum. :D
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
:lol: There's a lot more to it than watching games. I've been active on I-AA message boards since 1996 (back in the AOL and eScribe days). I ran the poll for AGS for many years. I've paid as much attention to I-AA football as any fan. Hell, I've even gotten in arguments with Ken Massey over ratings. :lol:
I was there starting in 2003, when you were the tsar of the AGS poll. I still have a perfect record of voting since the day the AGS poll started.

The arguments with Ken Massey, now I know why this thread never dies. :lol:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan wrote:
kalm wrote:

LIke I said, it's all perspective. You've provided very little to prove your point.
No, it's more than perspective.

Here are the final rankings in D1 of the top 5 FCS/I-AA teams by year in Sagarin:

2018: 31, 58, 80, 83, 85 (avg 67.4)

Last 5 years of last decade
2010: 52, 57, 58, 72, 75 (62.8)
2009: 30, 49, 57, 60, 76 (54.4)
2008: 41, 45, 62, 63, 69 (56.0)
2007: 44, 62, 67, 71, 73 (63.4)
2006: 53, 57, 59, 70, 71 (62.0)

So even with NDSU figured in, current FCS is decidedly weaker. Take away NDSU and it's WAY weaker.
Update for 2018
2018: 17, 58, 68, 78, 88 (avg 61.8)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Here are the final rankings in D1 of the top 5 FCS/I-AA teams by year in Sagarin:

So even with NDSU figured in, current FCS is decidedly weaker. Take away NDSU and it's WAY weaker.
Update for 2018
Why...that's almost as bad as 2006 and 2007!

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Update for 2018
Thanks for continuing to validate my point. It's NDSU and everyone else. And everyone else is worse than ten years ago. :thumb:

You know how I know I won this argument (other than it being obvious)? You're revisiting my weeks old posts to try to refute them. (And still failing.). They obviously stuck in your craw. :D
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Update for 2018
Thanks for continuing to validate my point. It's NDSU and everyone else. And everyone else is worse than ten years ago. :thumb:

You know how I know I won this argument (other than it being obvious)? You're revisiting my weeks old posts to try to refute them. (And still failing.). They obviously stuck in your craw. :D
I'm just updating the post, and it looks like teams have improved since the original post.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
93henfan wrote:

I'm just updating the post, and it looks like teams have improved since the original post.
I would hope so, since all opponents are playoff caliber at this point. And as you can see, #2 (SDSU) hasn't moved at all, while NDSU has pulled away.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
I would hope so, since all opponents are playoff caliber at this point. And as you can see, #2 (SDSU) hasn't moved at all, while NDSU has pulled away.
And that didn't happen in year's past?

Here's Massey 2018

14, 53, 57, 64, 83 (54.2)

Massey 2007

44, 71, 76, 77, 78 (69.2)

Sagarin heavily rates SoS over w/l. I've seen several numbers guys say that Massey is statistically the more accurate of the two.

You're still losing and EWU's number should drop further regardless of outcome.

:clap:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:I've seen several numbers guys say that Massey is statistically the more accurate of the two
Isn't Massey the one that has Princeton #2 and Dartmouth #5 in all of I-AA? :rofl:

And Harvard #18 with four losses? :rofl: :rofl:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

kalm wrote:
93henfan wrote:
And that didn't happen in year's past?

Here's Massey 2018

14, 53, 57, 64, 83 (54.2)

Massey 2007

44, 71, 76, 77, 78 (69.2)

Sagarin heavily rates SoS over w/l. I've seen several numbers guys say that Massey is statistically the more accurate of the two.

You're still losing and EWU's number should drop further regardless of outcome.

:clap:
I already won this argument long ago. You have nothing. And Massey is inferior to Sagarin.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:I've seen several numbers guys say that Massey is statistically the more accurate of the two
Isn't Massey the one that has Princeton #2 and Dartmouth #5 in all of I-AA? :rofl:

And Harvard #18 with four losses? :rofl: :rofl:
Probably. And as pointed out above, Sagarin has a 10-3 SDSU not change after the loss remaining at #2 ahead of a 12-2 EWU with similar SoS. :lol:

I didn't bring the computers into this discussion and I view them strictly as a resource for SoS. But since 93 chose them as one of his main data points other than eyeballs it's only fair to show both Sagarin and Massey.

Point being, not much has changed in computer ratings since the 2000's. Some years go up, some go down. Some year's or stretches of years with dominant teams that skew the overall average up and some don't, skewing it down.

I will point out that since Saturday's win over Maine was by far the most dominant for EWU over a CAA'nt foe in our 3 wins against 1 loss, perhaps conference bias and a down CAA'nt (despite the record bids) is influencing 93's view.

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:But since 93 chose them as one of his main data points other than eyeballs it's only fair to show both Sagarin and Massey.
:lol: Or, you just wanted to use one that supported your position better. :coffee:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:I didn't bring the computers into this discussion and I view them strictly as a resource for SoS. But since 93 chose them as one of his main data points other than eyeballs...
FTR, I'm pretty sure it was our resident statistician, JSO, that brought in the computers. You know, the guy who for a dozen years wouldn't put his money where his mouth was.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:I didn't bring the computers into this discussion and I view them strictly as a resource for SoS. But since 93 chose them as one of his main data points other than eyeballs...
FTR, I'm pretty sure it was our resident statistician, JSO, that brought in the computers. You know, the guy who for a dozen years wouldn't put his money where his mouth was.
Let me check and see if it wasn’t 93...nope.

He also chose to use just one year this decade vs what I’m guessing were some high quality years from the 2000’s.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Was there a post prior to this one?...
JohnStOnge wrote:I might do more of this kind of thing later but for now just a quick check.

The earliest set of Sagarin ratings I can get to is for 1998. In the context of the overall Division I final rankings then the top 5 I-AA teams were rated 64, 65, 66, 79, and 88.

As of now in 2018 the top 5 FCS (I-AA) teams are rated 24, 58, 73, 79, and 90.

Obviously North Dakota State is the 24. But, at least according to Sagarin, I'm not seeing a big difference between 2 through 5 in 1998 and 2 through 5 in 2018 in terms of how the top I-AA/FCS teams rank in the overall Division I context.