Football Championship Subdivision discussions
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: UCONN Considering move to FCS?

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote:Schools that have dropped Div I football since the the dust settled after the 1978 I-A/I-AA split. 14 of the 17 schools blue state (9 in the northeast, 5 in CA).

I-A
Cal State Long Beach (1991)
Cal State Fullerton (1992)
U of the Pacific (1995)

I-AA
UT Arlington (1985)
Witchita St (1986)
Evansville U (1997)
Cal State Northridge (2001)
Canisius College (NY) (2002)
Fairfield U (CT) (2002)
St John's U (NY) (2002)
St Mary's College (CA) (2003)
Siena College (NY) (2003)
St Peter's U (NJ) (2006)
Lasalle (PA) (2007)
Iona (NY) (2008)
Hofstra (NY) (2009)
Northeastern (MA) (2009)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... ball_teams

The northeast and CA just don't support college football like the rest of the country...
How many of those schools that dropped football are the ones that were DIII in football but, in the NCAA's ultimate wisdom, were forced to reclassify to D1 (I-AA) because they already had a D1 basketball school? I bet a lot of those schools would still have football if they hadn't been forced to try to artificially lift up their football teams above DIII. There's plenty of DIII football in the northeast that have great histories playing at that level. Just another dumb decision by the NCAA.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:Schools that have dropped Div I football since the the dust settled after the 1978 I-A/I-AA split. 14 of the 17 schools blue state (9 in the northeast, 5 in CA).

I-A
Cal State Long Beach (1991)
Cal State Fullerton (1992)
U of the Pacific (1995)

I-AA
UT Arlington (1985)
Witchita St (1986)
Evansville U (1997)
Cal State Northridge (2001)
Canisius College (NY) (2002)
Fairfield U (CT) (2002)
St John's U (NY) (2002)

St Mary's College (CA) (2003)
Siena College (NY) (2003)
St Peter's U (NJ) (2006)
Lasalle (PA) (2007)
Iona (NY) (2008)

Hofstra (NY) (2009)
Northeastern (MA) (2009)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... ball_teams

The northeast and CA just don't support college football like the rest of the country...
How many of those schools that dropped football are the ones that were DIII in football but, in the NCAA's ultimate wisdom, were forced to reclassify to D1 (I-AA) because they already had a D1 basketball school? I bet a lot of those schools would still have football if they hadn't been forced to try to artificially lift up their football teams above DIII. There's plenty of DIII football in the northeast that have great histories playing at that level. Just another dumb decision by the NCAA.
That's a good point. Without looking it up for each school, I'm guessing 7 of those 9 northeastern schools I bolded above. The other 2 Hofstra and Northeastern were in the CAA.

I probably should have said the northeast (New England/NY/NJ) and CA don't support college football like the rest of the country.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

There's a bunch of people here in the Lodi-Stockton area who think that the worst thing that ever happened in our area is the bogus deletion of the UOP football program. While they allowed Stockton-Amos Alonzo Stagg HS to use the field for awhile, it was clear that UOP wasn't really supporting it, and they eventually had to tear it down because it wasn't fit for human occupation anymore. Really sad. All the program really needed was a transfer to the Big Sky with a deal like Cow Poly and the Manure Pile have. But the idiot president at the time said that anything less than I-A was "beneath our dignity." Bologna. FCS Football is better anyway because the title is decided on the field, not by politics that eliminate more than half of the field "just because."

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.