Football Championship Subdivision discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: 9/14/19: North Dakota State @ Delaware

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:That Arkansas St team that tore through UD in the '86 playoffs stands out
That game was ridiculous.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:Btw, kinda the elephant in the room thing here. I had never seem NDSU live and in person before - UD had fallen from the heights of FCS prominence prior to NDSU coming on the scene, and I wasn't about to pay money to go all the way to Fargo last year to watch a middling UD team play. Now that I have though, I do have to say, all that talk about FCS not being as good as it was...

...is kinda true. I've seen a lot better football teams come through Newark (some UD teams, some not) than what I saw on Saturday. That Arkansas St team that tore through UD in the '86 playoffs stands out, and those Marshall/Montana teams from the 90's do as well. And I'd say the '03 UD team would've fared very well against this type of team. They're kinda like those Youngstown St teams under Tressel were - very good at what they do, but could be out-talented. Kudos to them for being able to sustain it over different groups of players and coaches, but it also speaks to the overall health of FCS as well that they've done that. And like I said, the eye-test I saw only reinforces that opinion.
This years NDSU team isn't even close to last years team from the players on up thru the coaching staff. QB was drafted in the 5th round, WR is on Green Bay's roster, Coach is 3-0 at Kansas St. 24 Seniors graduated and 7 starters returned. NDSU QB is a rFR, leading rusher true FR, 2nd leading rusher rFR, 2 leading receivers are RSophs. Doesn't mean they won't get better as their careers progress, but they are not there yet. NDSU might be the 8th best team at this point of the season. From the looks of it, UCD should give them a test this weekend.

Comparing old I-AA to new FCS, Gophers just barely beat GSU Saturday, and previously just barely beat SDSU.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Btw, kinda the elephant in the room thing here. I had never seem NDSU live and in person before - UD had fallen from the heights of FCS prominence prior to NDSU coming on the scene, and I wasn't about to pay money to go all the way to Fargo last year to watch a middling UD team play. Now that I have though, I do have to say, all that talk about FCS not being as good as it was...

...is kinda true. I've seen a lot better football teams come through Newark (some UD teams, some not) than what I saw on Saturday. That Arkansas St team that tore through UD in the '86 playoffs stands out, and those Marshall/Montana teams from the 90's do as well. And I'd say the '03 UD team would've fared very well against this type of team. They're kinda like those Youngstown St teams under Tressel were - very good at what they do, but could be out-talented. Kudos to them for being able to sustain it over different groups of players and coaches, but it also speaks to the overall health of FCS as well that they've done that. And like I said, the eye-test I saw only reinforces that opinion.
This years NDSU team isn't even close to last years team from the players on up thru the coaching staff. QB was drafted in the 5th round, WR is on Green Bay's roster, Coach is 3-0 at Kansas St. 24 Seniors graduated and 7 starters returned. NDSU QB is a rFR, leading rusher true FR, 2nd leading rusher rFR, 2 leading receivers are RSophs. Doesn't mean they won't get better as their careers progress, but they are not there yet. NDSU might be the 8th best team at this point of the season. From the looks of it, UCD should give them a test this weekend.

Comparing old I-AA to new FCS, Gophers just barely beat GSU Saturday, and previously just barely beat SDSU.
I'll save this post for when NDSU wins it all again this year with all the roster turnover. :rofl:

The QB's going to be good, I'm sure of it, but he's nothing to write home about right now. The one RB is pretty good, and the OL was good as well. WR's are young and looked it. That's the thing, though, they're still going to win it all even with that team. The team I saw on Saturday would get smoked by the better teams I've seen come through Newark. But like I said, I'll save the post! :thumb:

Oh, and Minnesota hasn't been good in college football since JFK was President and they last won a Rose Bowl. That's a violation for including them in any critical analysis regarding football talent. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

3-85

That's what I-AA is against I-A this year. And two of those were over UMass and WKU.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:3-85

That's what I-AA is against I-A this year. And two of those were over UMass and WKU.
We should include the "barely" losses so that we feel better about it. :rofl:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Yep, 2 former great I-AA schools.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Per the Monday Conference, NDSU played 18 Freshmen on Saturday.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

2 I-A wins in 2005
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

2019 3 FBS wins, 1 P5
2018 7 FBS wins, 1 P5, Kansas
2017 9 FBS wins, 1 P5, Baylor
2016 10 FBS wins, 5 P5, Washington St, Iowa St Virginia, Northwestern, Iowa
2015 9 FBS wins, 3 P5 Washington St, Kansas, South Carolina
2014 8 FBS wins, 1 P5 Iowa St
2013 16 FBS wins, 4 P5, Kansas St, Oregon St, Iowa St, Florida
2012 10 FBS wins, 2 P5, Pitt, Colorado
2011 6 FBS wins, 3 P5, Duke, Oregon St, Minnesota
2010 7 FBS wins, 4 P5, Ole Miss, Kansas, Virginia Tech, Minnesota
2009 5 FBS wins, 2 P5, Duke & Virginia
2008 2 FBS wins, 0 P5
2007 9 FBS wins, 3 P5, Michigan, Iowa St, Minnesota
2006 7 FBS wins, 4 P5, Colorado, Duke, Northwestern, Indiana
2005 2 FBS wins, 1 P5, Stanford
2004 6 FBS wins, 0 P5
2003 10 FBS wins, 0 P5
2002 8 FBS wins, 1 P5 Rutgers
2001 8 FBS wins, 1 P5 TCU
2000 16 FBS wins, 1 P5 Wake Forest
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

1999 6 FBS wins, 1 P5 North Carolina
1998 6 FBS wins, 0 P5
1997 4 FBS wins, 0 P5
1996 7 FBS wins, 1 P5 Oregon St
1995 7 FBS Wins, 1 P5 Wake Forest
1994 9 FBS wins, 1 P5 Iowa St
1993 6 FBS wins, 0 P5
1992 9 FBS wins, 2 P5 Iowa St, Arkansas
1991 8 FBS wins, 1 P5 Wake Forest
1990 9 FBS wins, 2 P5 Oregon St, South Carolina
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:2019 3 FBS wins, 1 P5
Looks like a trend to me.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:2019 3 FBS wins, 1 P5
Looks like a trend to me.
Yup, seems to have peaked sometime post 2000 (like 2010 ish) and we've been trending down since. When was the CAA really good again??? :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: Looks like a trend to me.
Yup, seems to have peaked sometime post 2000 (like 2010 ish) and we've been trending down since. When was the CAA really good again??? :coffee:
Yep, pre-2006
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Yep, pre-2006
So you're saying from 2006, when the CAA sent 4 different teams to the national title game in a 5 year period, winning 2 of them, that that was a down period for the CAA? :coffee:
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: Looks like a trend to me.
FCS sucks. It ain't going back up.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Yep, pre-2006
So you're saying from 2006, when the CAA sent 4 different teams to the national title game in a 5 year period, winning 2 of them, that that was a down period for the CAA? :coffee:
I don't think that era was down and I don't think this era is down. Pre 2006 had fewer P5 wins as you guys were comparing FBS wins. In 2004, half the 6 1-AA wins over 1-A were by FIU. App St won 7 I-AA games total, mostly against Wake Forest(6) and Michigan once. Georgian Southern only 1 FBS game. Both App St and GSU have lost to current FCS schools since moving over to the Sun Belt. Would they really have been that great in FCS the past few years. CAA, MVFC and Big Sky are the strong conferences now, compared to Montana, CAA, Southern in the past. Most of the talk about FCS is down comes from fans of Teams that are down.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:Most of the talk about FCS is down comes from fans of Teams that are down.
It also comes from fans that have been around I-AA for 20 years.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Most of the talk about FCS is down comes from fans of Teams that are down.
I've been around 16 years, since 2003. I saw I-AA schools play in Fargo in the late 1970's early 80's. Weber St and NAU back in the day.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I don't think that era was down and I don't think this era is down. Pre 2006 had fewer P5 wins as you guys were comparing FBS wins. In 2004, half the 6 1-AA wins over 1-A were by FIU. App St won 7 I-AA games total, mostly against Wake Forest(6) and Michigan once. Georgian Southern only 1 FBS game. Both App St and GSU have lost to current FCS schools since moving over to the Sun Belt. Would they really have been that great in FCS the past few years. CAA, MVFC and Big Sky are the strong conferences now, compared to Montana, CAA, Southern in the past. Most of the talk about FCS is down comes from fans of Teams that are down.
Ya think? :lol:
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

89Hen wrote:
Delaware spends almost twice as much as NDSU on football. Typical back east liberal institution. Most of the money is sucked up by corruption and “administration”. Yet, It’s not their fault the Hens looked so bad. Actually it’s NDSUs fault and a fake FG I guess.

It was 15 years ago or so The D2 Bison took Montana down at Washington Griz. One of the great upsets of all time and in review not an upset at all. NDSU knocked the stuffing out of the Griz program and it never recovered. Now it looks like NDSU has knocked the stuffing out of the entire division.

Which one of you is Carmen Riviera or is that the crying UND fan mama Sioux? You all sound the same. Get a home/home with them. NDSU will hire you for a single next time your admin needs more money.

Stop feeling sorry for your back east selves, build a decent football team with all that money you are sucking up from students or move to D2 where an effort the size of Delaware’s might stumble on a little more success while throwing away 8 million or so per year on the game.

A FG is only three pts. So why defend the fake? It was a bush league coaching error to leave the fake open yet it was symbol of all thats wrong with the FCS not what’s wrong with Delaware and its coaches I guess?

Must not have seen that Bison formation on all the film the Del squad watched.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

JBB wrote:
89Hen wrote: It also comes from fans that have been around I-AA for 20 years.
Delaware spends almost twice as much as NDSU on football. Typical back east liberal institution. Most of the money is sucked up by corruption and “administration”. Yet, It’s not their fault the Hens looked so bad. Actually it’s NDSUs fault and a fake FG I guess.

It was 15 years ago or so The D2 Bison took Montana down at Washington Griz. One of the great upsets of all time and in review not an upset at all. NDSU knocked the stuffing out of the Griz program and it never recovered. Now it looks like NDSU has knocked the stuffing out of the entire division.

Which one of you is Carmen Riviera or is that the crying UND fan mama Sioux? You all sound the same. Get a home/home with them. NDSU will hire you for a single next time your admin needs more money.

Stop feeling sorry for your back east selves, build a decent football team with all that money you are sucking up from students or move to D2 where an effort the size of Delaware’s might stumble on a little more success while throwing away 8 million or so per year on the game.

A FG is only three pts. So why defend the fake? It was a bush league coaching error to leave the fake open yet it was symbol of all thats wrong with the FCS not what’s wrong with Delaware and its coaches I guess?

:lol:

Bison56
I am a fan of: Who ever wins the chip

Post by Bison56 »

JBB wrote:Im not sure your capable of getting any dumber, or fatter. Ive seen you. 8-)

you are the flotsam and jetsam of BV remember? Of course you can't, poor dear man.

I would love to meet you, I cant say you would feel the same if it happened.
Last edited by Bison56 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
:dunce:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote:
JBB wrote:

:lol:

Perfect response to typical screed by Just Being Bozo! :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: It also comes from fans that have been around I-AA for 20 years.
I've been around 16 years, since 2003. I saw I-AA schools play in Fargo in the late 1970's early 80's. Weber St and NAU back in the day.
Back in the days when Montana Tech, Carson-Newman, Arkansas Monticello, Concordia-St Paul were staples on your schedule?

Seeing a crappy Weber St or NAU who were D2 at the time doesn't mean you followed I-AA football back then.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Like I said, I call 'em like I see them, and while the NDSU team I saw in person on Saturday was a good team, there are just not as good as the other I-AA/FCS teams I've seen either in Newark or in other venues in my 45+ years of watching football at this level. The Appy St teams under Armanti Edwards were better. The UD '03 team was better. The GSU teams with AP were better. Heck, the surprise UMass team that won the title in '98 was better. The Marshall team with Randy Moss was a lot better. The Montana teams with Dan Dickenson were better. The GSU teams with Tracey Ham were better. The Arkansas St team that got flattened by those Tracey Ham teams was better. Give credit to NDSU for winning year after year. But that by itself is an indication of the weakness of FCS football these days that you can have a team win that many in a row without some other program or team stepping up. That's why I'm saving Gil's post, even he, as an NDSU fan, is saying this year's version isn't the same as the ones that came before it. If they win it again, as they will, that will speak volumes about the state of FCS football.