Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: 9/14/19: North Dakota State @ Delaware

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:LOL

NDSU by 21+

Of course, Gil has UD by 21+, so there's that.
We should rush the field with a cover. Not outright, just with the cover. :thumb:
That’s what Harvard kids did after beating a 50-point hoops spread against Duke one year! :rofl:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Someone said it's the biggest non-conference home game in Delaware history.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:Someone said it's the biggest non-conference home game in Delaware history.
Nah, we would need to be at our historical level of play for that. Still recovering from the past lost decade of Dave Brock (worst UD coach since before WWII, by a considerable margin). The game against Navy with Napolean McCollum (was on SI's cover as a legit Heisman candidate) in 1985 (or 1986) was far bigger (back when IA schools actually came to FCS venues). We've had defending champs come to Newark before as well - Tressel brought YSU here back in the mid 90's and Georgia Southern came in for KC Keeler's first game in 2002. And of course Temple was a regular fixture in Newark every other year (a Temple game still holds the record for attendance) until they dropped us in the 80's. Paul Palmer came here too when he was a fringe Heisman candidate. And there was a McNeese St game back in the early 70's that the oldtimers still talk about that was huge. And heck, I forgot about the game against Colgate back in '78 when we refused to moved the game to Philly to get it on national TV (national TV in '78 was huge) when Colgate came in as a IA team and ranked in the top 25 with bowl officials in the house to give them a bowl invite when they won (which they didn't). I go with the Navy game as the biggest, McCollum was getting significant press back then and having a decent contingent of Midshipmen in the stadium was big. Plus that's back when we got 23k in the stadium - will only be less than 17k in it this time around with all of the construction. Still a big game, but near the bottom of the top 10 list for biggest non-conference home games in UD history.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

What GF said. It was 1985, my freshman year when Navy and Temple both visited the Tub and both lost. McCallum was getting Heisman talk before that game. None afterwards... of course some guy named Bo Jackson may have played a bigger part of that. ;)
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Someone said it's the biggest non-conference home game in Delaware history.
Nah, we would need to be at our historical level of play for that. Still recovering from the past lost decade of Dave Brock (worst UD coach since before WWII, by a considerable margin). The game against Navy with Napolean McCollum (was on SI's cover as a legit Heisman candidate) in 1985 (or 1986) was far bigger (back when IA schools actually came to FCS venues). We've had defending champs come to Newark before as well - Tressel brought YSU here back in the mid 90's and Georgia Southern came in for KC Keeler's first game in 2002. And of course Temple was a regular fixture in Newark every other year (a Temple game still holds the record for attendance) until they dropped us in the 80's. Paul Palmer came here too when he was a fringe Heisman candidate. And there was a McNeese St game back in the early 70's that the oldtimers still talk about that was huge. And heck, I forgot about the game against Colgate back in '78 when we refused to moved the game to Philly to get it on national TV (national TV in '78 was huge) when Colgate came in as a IA team and ranked in the top 25 with bowl officials in the house to give them a bowl invite when they won (which they didn't). I go with the Navy game as the biggest, McCollum was getting significant press back then and having a decent contingent of Midshipmen in the stadium was big. Plus that's back when we got 23k in the stadium - will only be less than 17k in it this time around with all of the construction. Still a big game, but near the bottom of the top 10 list for biggest non-conference home games in UD history.
That's what we are hearing from the ECB. Pretty good list being a bottom feeder compared to a 4 time champ, a 6 time champ, and a couple weak FBS school.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:What GF said. It was 1985, my freshman year when Navy and Temple both visited the Tub and both lost. McCallum was getting Heisman talk before that game. None afterwards... of course some guy named Bo Jackson may have played a bigger part of that. ;)
He won't win, and probably won't be on the list after another game, but Trey Lance, NDSU QB made the ESPN Heisman watch list. 6 TD passes and 5 in-completions in the first 2 games as a RFr. A loss to the Hens could end that rather quickly, but great to see him on the list.

ESPN Heisman Watch List
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Last week's game...

phpBB [video]
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:Dave Brock (worst UD coach since before WWII, by a considerable margin).
BTW... :lol: Wasn't sure Gil caught that one.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

I heard that too Gil. Top 5 for sure according to the locals, if not the biggest.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Yeah, NDSU not even close to biggest OOC game at The Tub. That was funny. Good work, Gil!
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:Yeah, NDSU not even close to biggest OOC game at The Tub. That was funny. Good work, Gil!
It may be the biggest OOC game at the New Improved Tub.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:
93henfan wrote:Yeah, NDSU not even close to biggest OOC game at The Tub. That was funny. Good work, Gil!
It may be the biggest OOC game at the New Improved Tub.
Yeah, I'll give NDSU the nod over Delaware State. Slightly.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

89Hen wrote:What GF said. It was 1985, my freshman year when Navy and Temple both visited the Tub and both lost. McCallum was getting Heisman talk before that game. None afterwards... of course some guy named Bo Jackson may have played a bigger part of that. ;)
Greatest game in Delaware Stadium history. From the Washington Post:
Navy took the opening kickoff against Delaware today and methodically drove 80 yards to a touchdown. It was so devastating a drive that Delaware Coach Tubby Raymond said, "I thought the score would be 150 to nothing. I didn't think we'd ever slow them down."

The Blue Hens made adjustments, however, and by game's end they were celebrating one of the more satisfying wins in Raymond's 20-year tenure. With junior quarterback Rich Gannon scoring two touchdowns and completing 15 of 19 passes without an interception, Delaware earned a 16-13 upset victory in its first encounter with the Midshipmen since 1931.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 46587af8b/
And was that the game where Darrell Booker got tossed (he threw a punch after getting spit on), or was that the Temple game?
Proletarians of the world, unite!
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

Booker didn't get tossed from the Navy game but he did get into a tussle with McCallum. I want to say Booker had 20+ tackles in that game - he was all over the field.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Last three MVFC/Gateway visits to Delaware Stadium:

Delaware 26 SDSU 3 (9/11/2010)
Delaware 37 UNI 7 (12/6/2003 quarters)
Delaware 48 SIU 7 (11/29/2003 Rd 1)

Bonus SIU highlight of Joel Sambursky being decapitated (crap audio):
phpBB [video]
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:Delaware 48 SIU 7 (11/29/2003 Rd 1)

Bonus SIU highlight of Joel Sambursky being decapitated (crap audio):
That was the most raucous I remember the Tub, even with a smaller Thanksgiving weekend crowd. Talk about an exclamation point on an ass-whipping.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan wrote:Last three MVFC/Gateway visits to Delaware Stadium:

More the same on Saturday. Even the hen fans don't rank NDSU with a 4 time champion or a 6 time champion or a couple weak FBS schools. Even though NDSU has 7 championships and is undefeated on the road against FBS teams this decade. I doubt a big win over NDSU would turn the hen program around. Just another MVFC massacre.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
93henfan wrote:Last three MVFC/Gateway visits to Delaware Stadium:

More the same on Saturday. Even the hen fans don't rank NDSU with a 4 time champion or a 6 time champion or a couple weak FBS schools. Even though NDSU has 7 championships and is undefeated on the road against FBS teams this decade. I doubt a big win over NDSU would turn the hen program around. Just another MVFC massacre.
:lol: Keep trying to pitch this as the greatest non-conference home game Gil. Never mind fans who have been to all the ones we've mentioned.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
:lol: Keep trying to pitch this as the greatest non-conference home game Gil. Never mind fans who have been to all the ones we've mentioned.
I'm not trying to pitch it. It was the ECB media pitching it, I'm just going with the flow.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: :lol: Keep trying to pitch this as the greatest non-conference home game Gil. Never mind fans who have been to all the ones we've mentioned.
I'm not trying to pitch it. It was the ECB media pitching it, I'm just going with the flow.
You have yet to identify anyone who said this.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: :lol: Keep trying to pitch this as the greatest non-conference home game Gil. Never mind fans who have been to all the ones we've mentioned.
There's actually ECB media that knows that Delaware is hosting NDSU this weekend? Come one, there's no ECB media in Delaware, just Tress and a dude who writes stuff out of Dover. That doesn't really qualify since no one watches or gets local news in Delaware. I think you're making this up. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
You have yet to identify anyone who said this.
I gave you a link.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Bluehens.com Link

NEWARK, Del. – To say September 14, 2019 is one of the most anticipated non-conference match-ups to ever be played at Delaware Stadium is an understatement
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Gil Dobie wrote:
I'm not trying to pitch it. It was the ECB media pitching it, I'm just going with the flow
I read the link. I don't get it. Of course you're correct Gil.

The Hen Fans mentioned about five games going back to some game in 1970's reported by wapo no less :lol: .

Depending on how far back they want to go they might get this one out of the top 5. I had to go back to the 1940s when NDSU was playing the National Champion Golden Gophers for our biggest games to shut the Iowa fans up. They insisted Bison @ Iowa was NDSUs biggest game.

Of course, they were correct just like we are about this game.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen