SDSU* @ MN Gophers

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JBB
Level3
Level3

SDSU* @ MN Gophers

Post by JBB »

More early reports from the internet on the regions interesting opening games. Keep an eye on this one, its a likely candidate for miss-pricing. It appears the GAM has defined a nice range. I wouldn't be suprised to see them offering SDSU more than 11 points, at least until they see this:
SDSU @ MN Gophers
August 29, 8PM
TCF Stadium, Minneapolis

PREDICTED WINNER: SDSU
Spread: SDSU -11
Over/Under: 61
Mythical Score: SDSU 36 Minnesota 25

This is based on the performance of last years teams.

Gophers from last year 7-6:

s3.amazonaws.com/gophersports.com/documents/2019/1/9/Final_Stats.pdf

NEW MEXICO STATE
FRESNO STATE
MIAMI
at Maryland
IOWA
at #3 Ohio State (the gophers Bison)
at Nebraska
INDIANA
at Illinois
PURDUE
NORTHWESTERN
at Wisconsin
vs Georgia Tech

Give the Gophers 7 points for strength of schedule and it becomes

PREDICTED WINNER: SDSU
Spread: SDSU -4
Over/Under: 68
Mythical Score: SDSU 36 Minnesota 32

The Gophers don't get any home field. There might be under 10,000 unless the Jackrabbit fans show up. I might go but its in Minneapolis. Filthly town and dangerous.

Read more: http://usdcoyotesports.proboards.com/th ... z5qqGUaGR4
Last edited by JBB on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: SDSU* @ MN Gophers

Post by Gil Dobie »

Could be a bad weekend for Gophers fans, first a loss to the Jackrabbits, then NDSU vs Butler has a larger crowd at Target Field.
bonarae
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas

Post by bonarae »

Shootout maybe? Or are both teams trying out sets of fresh legs at both O and D?

Scalp in the making for the Jacks? I'm not quite sold on Coach Stieg adding another scalp to his resume yet because of many Q's surrounding his team ATM.

The Goofies are well, inconsistent year after year after year...

I agree with Gil Dobie though.
Top two wishes of Ivy football fans everywhere: Playoff participation by the Ivy champion and the diversification of opponents in scheduling games.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

An SDSU win would be an upset. It looks like a good game on paper. SDSU is far better against the FCS than the Gophers are against the FBS.

this game is on the list of potential upsets. That might mute the odds.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

This game is a real bargin for Rabbit fans right now. They can get on the 50 second deck for $37. They can sit in the lower deck on the 50 for $69. Single game tickets in Brookings are $65 for about any open seat for the Bison game this year.

Minnesota tickets: https://www.stubhub.com/event/103962434 ... =price+asc

SDSU tickets: https://tkt.xosn.com//tickets/BuyTicket ... 1564661869

SDSU will have a big home crowd for the Bison game. The home side is about sold out. There are a lot of tickets on the visitors side. Its a beautiful stadium. One of the best in the FCS.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

This is a big game for the Gophers but SDSU has bigger fish to fry.

THE DAKOTA BOWL

Every year The two Football Giants SDSU and NDSU face off for the College Football Championship of the Dakotas. This has historically been the largest sporting event in the history of the Dakotas. Its a big deal. There are 2 other Dakota teams that aren't really part of this. This game has something special.

This year it's in Brookings. I forgot the name of the stadium but it is among the nicest if not the nicest facility in the FCS.

Its pretty well sold out between the 20s. The home side IS completely sold-out except for scattered seats. They have a great seat selection system just like University of Iowa.

Here are tickets:

OCT 26, 2 PM Kickoff.

https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/BuyTickets ... eservation

I don't think there are any hotel rooms left in Brookings. If there are they will be around $200 or higher. I have found Sioux Falls a great place to stay for either the USD or SDSU games. Lots of choices. Of course everything is cheaper for the USD game.

Good luck to the Gophers. That game will be a great lead-in to the big one in Brookings.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Checking things out today

5Dimes SDSU +12.5 O/U even at 56.5
GAM SDSU -4 O/U even at 68

TAKE: SDSU, The Points and The Over.

They are under-estimating SDSU but not by much. This is no NDSU +45 when they played the Gophers but a 16.5 spread and the promise of a shoot-out is not a bad proposition.

5Dimes is really good especially their uncanny ability with the over/under point.

In this game there are 3 ways to score on SDSU: Right now I am taking SDSU + 12.5 for 1, not to cover for 1 (meaning they won't win without the points), Over 56.5 for 1.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

2019 opening Sagarin rankings

UMN #53 73.85 Its Gophers -3.5 without any adjustments. Why give them anything for home field?
SDSU #69 70.35 should give them 3 because its not the Fabulous Fargo Dome :lol:

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/
The GAM is now final:

PREDICTED WINNER: SDSU -4
Over/Under: 55
Mythical Score: 29-25
5dimes remains at Gophers -12.5 Over/Under: 56 score would be 34-22

Advice: take SDSU, not to cover, and the over.

The thinking is high scoring game. Average between the GAM and 5dimes

SDSU 25 UM 29

argument right now: UNDER - low scoring if SDSU is to win. The counter: very tight game with lots of offense. SDSU can't cover

Another round please while this gets settled.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

JBB wrote:This is a big game for the Gophers but SDSU has bigger fish to fry.

THE DAKOTA BOWL

Every year The two Football Giants SDSU and NDSU face off for the College Football Championship of the Dakotas. This has historically been the largest sporting event in the history of the Dakotas. Its a big deal. There are 2 other Dakota teams that aren't really part of this. This game has something special.

This year it's in Brookings. I forgot the name of the stadium but it is among the nicest if not the nicest facility in the FCS.

Its pretty well sold out between the 20s. The home side IS completely sold-out except for scattered seats. They have a great seat selection system just like University of Iowa.

Here are tickets:

OCT 26, 2 PM Kickoff.

I don't think there are any hotel rooms left in Brookings. If there are they will be around $200 or higher. I have found Sioux Falls a great place to stay for either the USD or SDSU games. Lots of choices. Of course everything is cheaper for the USD game.

Good luck to the Gophers. That game will be a great lead-in to the big one in Brookings.
SDSU will have to keep their focus on not to overlook the Gophers. I think they can pull it off but it will be a interesting game.

SDSU's is called the Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium and the game between NDSU/SDSU is also called the "Marker Game" as the teams play for "The Dakota Marker".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_Marker
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

I agree with that. It is the Dakota Marker. Thanks for the info on the Dykhouse. One of the nicest stadiums in the country.
It's (The Dakota Marker) a de-facto Dakota College Football Championship represented by the Dakota Marker. Everyone recognizes it as such because both were the only D1 football teams in the Dakotas when the series started. Thats why it was such a big deal out of the chute.

The wikipedia reference to the the "closest neighbor" football rivalry is a laugh, painfully avoiding the obvious: It's the College Football Championship of the Dakotas.

With both universities now in D1 there is a kind of de-facto round robin for the title.

Und hasn't played all the other Dakota schools since they moved up. They have no legitimate claim to the title except circumstancial. They did participate in the Jr. Bowl against USD in their last D2 years. It was always the early game before the Marker.

USD has been in the mix since they moved to the MVFC. They are part of the Dakota Big 3, a distinction ending when UND joins the MVFC.

They have victories over both the Mighty Land Grants but not in the same season and not very often. They may have had a circumstantial tie one year beating one of the big schools but not both.
In either case The Mighty Land Grants do play for the Marker. The other schools don't matter. Since its' inception it has also been a de-facto symbol of the Dakota Football Championship.

But I digress.

Checking tickets today using the Gopher link I see they are selling. There is a great bargin on the 50 sec 111 for $60 but generally tickets are higher than that. Its $100 plus on the other side and $148 in section 110, only 2 available. My guess: SDSU fans are buying.

Go State!
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Gophers now -14 over SDSU.

When the analysis of this game was first presented on the USD board that yote53 fellow said the GAM was crazy, the gophers are good and would win by 2 TDS. As usual he had nothing but blubbering and volume to back up his arguments. The spread is now there for him to take the gophers and give the points.

I went over there tolink his typical emotional response but he is very sensitive and removed the thread. I believe he removed it because of the caution given to SDSU fans that Minneapolis is among the nations 50 most dangerous cities. Like all liberal knuckleheads he thinks removing the facts will change them. I guess ostriches do get by even with that strange habit of sticking their head in the sand so maybe he will too. :dunce:

This post is for you Yote53 you old ostrich you. Pull your head out of your, well, sand. You have your 2TD spread. :clap:
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Tickets at SDSU box office are gone.

There seems to be a lot of tickets out there this morning. $20 will get you a seat. $90+ to sit near the 50.

Ticket prices have been fluctuating all week. I would wait to buy outside the stadium. Make some low-ball offers. You are certain to get a cheap ticket.

UM has a culture of failure firmly ingrained at many levels. If NDSU had their spot and money they would be national championship material. SDSU not much different. But not at ski-u-ma, too much corruption at the top is reflected in the culture on campus. As above so below.

No reason a well coached Jacks team can’t walk out of the Gophers always empty stadium with a win, especially if you take the 14 points.

This morning:

Jacks +14

$100 wins you $400 on a straight up SDSU win. A good bet for the committed SDSU fan. A 4:1 underdog

$600 wins you $100 on a gopher straight up win. A 6:1 favorite.

This one is getting tempting. Jacks plus points.

Be careful if you go. Minneapolis is a lawless, racist, sanctuary city releasing criminals daily that profile correctly into the general population.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gophers are probably better than they have been in 20 years and SDSU has a new QB. You need good QB play to beat a FBS school. If the Jacks new QB plays great, they can win. Still hope the Golden Roadkill loses to the Jacks.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Skimmed & didn’t see it mentioned. Game is nationally televised tomorrow (Thur) on FS1 9 PM ECB. Gonna watch.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

The Gophers do have one of their best teams in years and would be in the running for a MVFC title but the Big 10 title seems out of their reach.

2007 the Gophers 33 in Massey. No ranking for SDSU or NDSU. The Bison beat the Goofs

In 2011 the Goofs were 88 by Sagarin, SDSU 140, NDSU 37. SDSU was a 14 pt underdog. NDSU beat the Goofs that year too.

Today the Goofs are 53 by Sagarin. If SDSU is going to be a force in the MVFC with hopes of beating NDSU this would be a good game for them to do well.

The GAM shows an outright win by SDSU. Jacks +14 is looking good even with the QB questions.

Thanks for the tv info BDKJMU. Was just starting to look. Going to watch this one at home.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

3 top 25 votes for Goofs. Young team last year that played well down the stretch, good QB play and 16 returning starters were the primary reasons given by the 3 pollsters.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Prior to kickoff here. It’s +14.5 Jacks right now. Our money is down. Jacks + points.

I dont know what the crowds are like at the stadium but the weather is beautiful. The Jacks could be on the verge of taking the goofs down. I’ve heard plenty of times how good the Gophers were looking “this year”.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

We got the money but the Gophers got the win 28-21. The Jacks lead by 1 going into the 4th. The GAM had it exactly right through 3 qtrs.

SDSU is a very good team and should have won. They gave up a pick 6 and had a punt return to the house called back. Mistakes took 14 off the board. Freshman QB looks good. The Jacks played a very physical game tonight.

Not bad though. Started season with $100 now have $210. Make that $220 with today’s 8 ball winnings thrown in. Now we wait for the next mistake by the boys at 5dimes. Probably be something this weekend.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Stat sheet is up.

https://gojacks.com/boxscore.aspx?id=9651&path=football

Shows the profile of a good team. SDSU was every bit the equal but lost TOP. That reflects the late fumble and a few fruitless goof drives.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

SDSU looked good - just couldn't hold up thru the 4th. Nice Philly Special play by the Gophers - brought back happy memories - ironically both plays took place in the Twin Cities!!
Make Delaware Football Great Again
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote:
JBB wrote:This is a big game for the Gophers but SDSU has bigger fish to fry.

THE DAKOTA BOWL

Here are tickets:

OCT 26, 2 PM Kickoff.

SDSU will have to keep their focus on not to overlook the Gophers. I think they can pull it off but it will be a interesting game.

SDSU's is called the Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium and the game between NDSU/SDSU is also called the "Marker Game" as the teams play for "The Dakota Marker".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_Marker
Jesus, even I knew the name of the rivalry and stadium. That lack of knowledge puts JBB and the GAM’s analytics seriously in question for the rest of the season. :ohno:

rooms have pretty much been sold out since July for the EWU-Montana game in Missoula (a city 4 times as large as Brookings, SD) formerly and historically known as the “Governors Cup” but which will now be referred to as egriz as ordained by the BULLSHIT (Bureau Uv Logistics Logic Shenanagans History Intelligence, and Technology).

BTW, the Jacks looked REALLY good last night. That’s a Frisco caliber team. :nod:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

QB play decided the game. SDSU's QB looks like a good one, just had a few Freshmen mistakes. Give him that game in a year or two, the outcome is different.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Yes, he really played well and will get better.

SDSU has Long Island University next week. This will be LIU first game as a D1 FCS football team. Previously they had a split campus with the football on the D2 side. This is the first season the two campuses have been unified with all sports D1. We wont have a call on this game.

The following week they play Drake.

It’s important with football prognostications to keep focus on critical inputs. Stadium names are not part of the calculation. The question is are they playing at home not what is their stadium name.
even I knew the name of the rivalry and stadium. That lack of knowledge puts JBB and the GAM’s analytics seriously in question for the rest of the season