Football Championship Subdivision discussions
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Hens to play Hornets in Dover as part of new deal

Post by dbackjon »

Once a matchup that was notable for never being played, the football rivalry between Delaware State and Delaware now has a future at least for another decade.
The state’s only two NCAA FCS Division I programs announced on Monday afternoon that they have signed a six-year contract, starting in 2024. And, for the first time, the Blue Hens will play football in Dover.

All of the previous eight UD-DSU meetings have been played at Delaware Stadium in Newark.

The two squads were already slated to play this season and in 2020. They will now play back-to-back games in Dover in ’24 and ’25, followed by dates at Delaware Stadium in ’26, ’27 and ’29.

https://delawarestatenews.net/sport/hen ... -new-deal/
:thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Hens to play Hornets in Dover as part of new deal

Post by 89Hen »

:lol: Don't say I didn't tell you this would eventually come to pass. All the idiots that whined and bitched about the Hens not playing DelSt can suck it.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

dbackjon wrote:the football rivalry between Delaware State and Delaware...
BTW :tothehand: :tothehand: :tothehand: :dunce:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Nothing better than losing money (on DelState's part) for racial harmony.

Delaware can easily fill the home slot no longer tied up by DelState. DelState will lose out on a cut of a 20k seat game for a game at their 7k seat high school venue.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

From 2006 on AGS before the two ever met...
89Hen wrote:You really think one game in Newark is going to quell anything? Let's just say they did play a game in Newark and the Hens win 50-0. The next thing to come out of Dover would be "sure they beat us badly, but it was in Newark, they need to come to Dover and see how close it would be". Let's say the Hens win by a couple points or DSU wins. Then out of Dover we'd hear "They won't play us any more because they're afraid they'll lose." Obviously this is my opinon only, but I firmly believe that and that is why I'm opposed to this game. If Delaware is 'forced' to schedule DSU once, why couldn't they be forced to having a series with them? Telling a school who they should/shouldn't play is ridiculous.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:Nothing better than losing money (on DelState's part) for racial harmony.

Delaware can easily fill the home slot no longer tied up by DelState. DelState will lose out on a cut of a 20k seat game for a game at their 7k seat high school venue.
That’s an insult to high school venues everywhere. :nod:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Re: RE: Re: Hens to play Hornets in Dover as part of new deal

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

89Hen wrote:From 2006 on AGS before the two ever met...
89Hen wrote:You really think one game in Newark is going to quell anything? Let's just say they did play a game in Newark and the Hens win 50-0. The next thing to come out of Dover would be "sure they beat us badly, but it was in Newark, they need to come to Dover and see how close it would be". Let's say the Hens win by a couple points or DSU wins. Then out of Dover we'd hear "They won't play us any more because they're afraid they'll lose." Obviously this is my opinon only, but I firmly believe that and that is why I'm opposed to this game. If Delaware is 'forced' to schedule DSU once, why couldn't they be forced to having a series with them? Telling a school who they should/shouldn't play is ridiculous.
You're a regular Nostrafuckingdamus

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:Nothing better than losing money (on DelState's part) for racial harmony.

We would kill for an in-State FCS opponent like this.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Have you ever attended a UD-DSU game in person? I have. I attended the first one, and was seated in the middle of the DSU cheering section.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hens to play Hornets in Dover as part of new deal

Post by UNI88 »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:
You're a regular Nostrafuckingdumbass

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk
FYP
Sorry 89, I couldn't resist. Low hanging fruit and all.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

And I disagree with "Telling a school who they should/shouldn't play is ridiculous." If a state provides money to a school they have a vested interest in representing the entire state. For example, what if Iowa or Iowa State no longer wanted to play UNI but were willing to pay Missouri State several hundred thousand dollars to play? Isn't it in the best interest of the state that that money be directed toward a game with an in-state rival at the same level as Missouri State? It keeps the money in state and is beneficial for another state school. UNI should have right of first refusal over games against FCS teams.

You might not like it as a fan, but isn't it in the best interest of the taxpayers for Delaware to play Delaware State over Penn, Cornell, Lafayette, etc.?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ivytalk wrote:
Have you ever attended a UD-DSU game in person? I have. I attended the first one, and was seated in the middle of the DSU cheering section.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Have you ever attended a UD-DSU game in person? I have. I attended the first one, and was seated in the middle of the DSU cheering section.
Actually, it was a very friendly group. The black guys kept yelling at the black women to sit the hell down so they could see the game! :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:And I disagree with "Telling a school who they should/shouldn't play is ridiculous." If a state provides money to a school they have a vested interest in representing the entire state. For example, what if Iowa or Iowa State no longer wanted to play UNI but were willing to pay Missouri State several hundred thousand dollars to play? Isn't it in the best interest of the state that that money be directed toward a game with an in-state rival at the same level as Missouri State? It keeps the money in state and is beneficial for another state school. UNI should have right of first refusal over games against FCS teams.

You might not like it as a fan, but isn't it in the best interest of the taxpayers for Delaware to play Delaware State over Penn, Cornell, Lafayette, etc.?
:nod:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote:And I disagree with "Telling a school who they should/shouldn't play is ridiculous." If a state provides money to a school they have a vested interest in representing the entire state. For example, what if Iowa or Iowa State no longer wanted to play UNI but were willing to pay Missouri State several hundred thousand dollars to play? Isn't it in the best interest of the state that that money be directed toward a game with an in-state rival at the same level as Missouri State? It keeps the money in state and is beneficial for another state school. UNI should have right of first refusal over games against FCS teams.

At least in Virginia, taxpayers don't pay for athletics (in theory). Students do through fees,though.
While I don't disagree that it is better to benefit in-state programs vs. out of state programs that are similar, let's not get too far from the truth about taxpayer impact. At best, there is an indirect impact to taxpayers (although your state mileage may vary).
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:
At least in Virginia, taxpayers don't pay for athletics (in theory). Students do through fees,though.
While I don't disagree that it is better to benefit in-state programs vs. out of state programs that are similar, let's not get too far from the truth about taxpayer impact. At best, there is an indirect impact to taxpayers (although your state mileage may vary).
Same here but those indirect dollars help another state institution nonetheless. Athletics are a part of education.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Could be worse. Your in-state "Rival" could be Morgan State.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

andy7171 wrote:Could be worse. Your in-state "Rival" could be Morgan State.
By the way, somebody on GoHens called Towson an HBCU on Monday in the DelState thread and it wasn't a joke. You may want to defend your honor.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

93henfan wrote:
andy7171 wrote:Could be worse. Your in-state "Rival" could be Morgan State.
By the way, somebody on GoHens called Towson an HBCU on Monday in the DelState thread and it wasn't a joke. You may want to defend your honor.
It ain't worth it. As long as they spell it right, who gives a fuck. :?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote:
The first one being the playoffs? If so, yes.

I was in the NEZ and actually got the refs to throw a flag for too many men in the huddle on DSU. Not kidding. They were backed up in the NEZ and none of the refs noticed it, and I yelled at the top of my lungs and sideline ref glanced up to the stands and then reached for the hankie. Everyone in the section was high fiving me. 8-)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Have you ever attended a UD-DSU game in person? I have. I attended the first one, and was seated in the middle of the DSU cheering section.
The first one being the playoffs? If so, yes.

I was in the NEZ and actually got the refs to throw a flag for too many men in the huddle on DSU. Not kidding. They were backed up in the NEZ and none of the refs noticed it, and I yelled at the top of my lungs and sideline ref glanced up to the stands and then reached for the hankie. Everyone in the section was high fiving me. 8-)
That was the one.

When was the last UD home game that you personally attended?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Hens to play Hornets in Dover as part of new deal

Post by 89Hen »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:
You're a regular Nostrafuckingdamus
You would think I was stating the obvious, but there were LOTS of folks who disagreed.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote:
89Hen wrote: The first one being the playoffs? If so, yes.

That was the one.

When was the last UD home game that you personally attended?
I think it may be the GSU semifinal game. :shock:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UD receives very little money from the state.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

That is what Arizona does - the Board of Regents doesn't mandate that UA or ASU play NAU, but if they play an FCS team, NAU has right of first refusal in alternating years to take the game. They don't every year, but most years they do.

And the NAU game is always higher attended (by thousands) than non-NAU FCS games, and many years the highest attended OOC game (and a couple years the highest attended game for ASU).
:thumb: