Football Championship Subdivision discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Teams That Run The Option

Post by 89Hen »

I think Wofford is still running it maybe.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Furman
Davidson
Jacksonville
Cal Poly
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:I think Wofford is still running it maybe.
Yep
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

So, are we talking about the Wishbone, the Oregon Veer, the Delaware Wing T, or just running a lead option and/or speed option (with or without the pulling guard). I've known even West Coast teams run lead (or a G) option or a speed option as just a play within the regular offense. Does that count as "running the option," or does one have to have option as the basis of the offense?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SuperHornet wrote:So, are we talking about the Wishbone, the Oregon Veer, the Delaware Wing T, or just running a lead option and/or speed option (with or without the pulling guard). I've known even West Coast teams run lead (or a G) option or a speed option as just a play within the regular offense. Does that count as "running the option," or does one have to have option as the basis of the offense?
Does anybody run the wishbone anymore? :?

Most triple-option teams run the flexbone. I think some teams may run it out of multi-back pistol sets (a trend started by Sam Houston in 2011). I believe Air Force used to run it out of more conventional formations (I-Form, etc.), but I'm not sure they still do.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Teams That Run The Option

Post by UNI88 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:So, are we talking about the Wishbone, the Oregon Veer, the Delaware Wing T, or just running a lead option and/or speed option (with or without the pulling guard). I've known even West Coast teams run lead (or a G) option or a speed option as just a play within the regular offense. Does that count as "running the option," or does one have to have option as the basis of the offense?

Most triple-option teams run the flexbone. I think some teams may run it out of multi-back pistol sets (a trend started by Sam Houston in 2011). I believe Air Force used to run it out of more conventional formations (I-Form, etc.), but I'm not sure they still do.
I thought Air Force used a version of the flexbone too? Chip Kelly ran TO plays out of a 2 back set at Oregon. Not sure if it was before Sam Houston.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

phpBB [video]
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: RE: Re: Teams That Run The Option

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

UNI88 wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:

I thought Air Force used a version of the flexbone too? Chip Kelly ran TO plays out of a 2 back set at Oregon. Not sure if it was before Sam Houston.
I think AFA does now, but I'm not sure they did when Fisher DeBerry was there (1984-06). This video (from 2009) shows them running a TO play out of a 2-WR Maryland-I of all things:

phpBB [video]

As for Chip Kelly… perhaps the most clever/oddball offensive scheme I've seen was the one he ran at UNH where half the plays were based off the Statue of Liberty Play. :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:
phpBB [video]
:clap:
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by SACCAT »

Montana Sate runs the triple option the best of any school I have ever seen.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

SACCAT wrote:Montana Sate runs the triple option the best of any school I have ever seen.
This must be sarcasm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:

Anybody running the option right now runs it out of the flexbone as their base formation

Air Force has a tendency to use varied sets, but their bread and butter is the flexbone just like everybody else

We have occasionally showed a wishbone formation but that is just a stunt to mess with opposing DCs- just like Air Force with the 3-back I formation

BTW has anybody mentioned Kennesaw State yet? They were the best option team in FCS last year

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Delaware's offense has been optional for the past eight seasons. So has the defense sometimes.
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SACCAT »

CID1990 wrote:
SACCAT wrote:Montana Sate runs the triple option the best of any school I have ever seen.
This must be sarcasm

We are the best at everything... But last year we did run the Wishbone/Flexbone ( did both at different times) quit a bit because our starting QB was suppose to be our starting LB... He ended up being All-Big Sky
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

SACCAT wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
This must be sarcasm

We are the best at everything... But last year we did run the Wishbone/Flexbone ( did both at different times) quit a bit because our starting QB was suppose to be our starting LB... He ended up being All-Big Sky
Yeah it made such an impact that nobody knew

SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SACCAT »

CID1990 wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
Yeah it made such an impact that nobody knew

Everybody knew.... They just didnt want to remember.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Maryland I formation?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Just looked up the Flexbone. I hadn't seen it before. It's basically the old Double Wing Formation. So someone running the Flexbone is essentially using Wishbone principles instead of Single/Double Wing principles out of the same formation. Interesting....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

SuperHornet wrote:Just looked up the Flexbone. I hadn't seen it before. It's basically the old Double Wing Formation. So someone running the Flexbone is essentially using Wishbone principles instead of Single/Double Wing principles out of the same formation. Interesting....
Flexbone... Broken Bone .... whatever the name

Yes, it is simply a Wishbone with the halfbacks split out inside the TEs. It give the strong side runners a head start on the corner of the formation and allows for less motion predictability.

But in simplest terms, it is still the wishbone and the QB still has 3 running/pitching options.

SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SACCAT »

CID1990 wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:Just looked up the Flexbone. I hadn't seen it before. It's basically the old Double Wing Formation. So someone running the Flexbone is essentially using Wishbone principles instead of Single/Double Wing principles out of the same formation. Interesting....

Yes, it is simply a Wishbone with the halfbacks split out inside the TEs. It give the strong side runners a head start on the corner of the formation and allows for less motion predictability.

But in simplest terms, it is still the wishbone and the QB still has 3 running/pitching options.

Cats ran this play a lot throughout the season.... Sure not a true triple Option, more of a Zone read

https://youtu.be/skTAPOFt7Qc?t=81
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

CID1990 wrote:

Looks quite similar to the offense my juco offensive coordinator (later my HS head coach; which is odd given that he played for our cross-town rivals and supposedly burned his HS letter jacket in front of the team to "prove" his loyalty to the program) invented, which pretty much guaranteed that the defense was wrong. He would shift between this and the traditional wishbone, usually running out of the 'Bone and passing out of this, with a "usual" quarterback assigned to each. But they couldn't exactly key on THAT, either, because both QBs ran plays out of both sets. We may have run some option out of this Double Wing set, but we usually passed out of it. We probably had some short passes out of the 'Bone, too.

I was stuck upstairs filming practice and games because our dumb AD forgot to inform me of the deadline for physicals that year and refused to let me go outside the school to get it done. What a jerk. Anyways, we won a bowl game that season, and I still wear the ring occasionally (on my pinky because I still have to get the stinking thing resized).