Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Predictions 8-31

Post by JALMOND »

Opening weekend for football and everyone in the Big Sky plays at some point. Some good games on the docket highlighted by Montana and Northern Arizona meeting up with teams from the Missouri Valley Conference. As it is the start of season, I am at 0-0. Those who don't know, the Big Sky schools will be represented by their scoreboard abbreviations while those teams outside of the conference will be spelled out. For example, WSU will be Weber State, and Washington State will be spelled out. Here is my attempt at perfection right out of the gate. Have at it.

San Diego at CP---The Mustangs welcome the Toreros to their home for a tussle. Quite an ambitious attempt to get a good season off and running, welcoming a good Pioneer League team to your house. Can the Mustangs get this one...San Diego 28, CP 25.

EWU at Washington---The Eagles are hoping for great things this year and they have drawn one of the big hitters of the Pac-12 right off the bat. The Eagles have been giant killers before, but this may be a tall order to fill, even if it turns into a shootout...Washington 41, EWU 31.

UI at Penn State---Fulfilling an obligation from when the Vandals were FBS, they head in to Happy Valley. Can they break through and get a big win at the start of the year? It would be something, but Penn State does not lose these games often...Penn State 35, UI 14.

Western Colorado at ISU---The Bengals just need to find an important cog to fill and they could be dangerous. What a better way than to schedule a lower division school and get a good practice in. At least that is how it should go, anyway...ISU 38, Western Colorado 7.

UM at South Dakota---The Grizzlies make a trip into hostile Missouri Valley country as they meet up with a good South Dakota team. We should know early on if they are trending up or down. This will be a good win for them...UM 29, South Dakota 27.

MSU at Texas Tech---The Bobcats venture into Big 12 country as they step up a level. They have a great team back and only need a good reliable quarterback. The defense is strong, but strong enough to hold off a Big 12 team?...Texas Tech 35, MSU 17.

Missouri State at NAU---New coaching staff, new philosophy but an old face at quarterback to lead the Lumberjacks. Whether that leads to good things this year remains to be seen but for now a good game against the Missouri Valley squad...NAU 38, Missouri State 14.

UNC at San Jose State---Not much is expected out the Bears this season as they look to get back on track. Not much is expected out of their first opponent either. Can the Bears get an upset out of the gate? Can they keep it close?...San Jose State 38, UNC 7.

PSU at Arkansas---The Vikings are game enough to go into hallowed SEC country and try their luck. No Big Sky team has beaten an SEC team. Could this be the time? Actually, the Vikings may just hope to get out of there alive...Arkansas 48, PSU 10.

Southern Oregon at SAC---The Hornets would like to turn the ship around from last season and join those at the top, but that means not stubbing their toes against a lower division foe. Still, they should have enough for a win...SAC 27, Southern Oregon 17.

SUU at Nevada-Las Vegas---The Thunderbirds usually follow up a down year with a good year so this year should be a good one. So they should get this game against a bottom feeder, even if it is from the FBS. Or they shouldn't...Nevada-Las Vegas 38, SUU 10.

UCD at California---Was last year a fluke or do the Aggies have enough to stay at the top? if they do, they should be able to stay with a bottom tier Pac-12 school. Especially if that school is looking forward to Washington...California 27, UCD 22.

WSU at San Diego State---Are the Wildcats legit enough to stay near the top of the standings? Can they throw a bit of a scare into a good Mountain West team? They can win this game, but it will be a tough one...San Diego State 31, WSU 14.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Big Sky Predictions 8-31

Post by AZGrizFan »

Just curious. USD was 4-7 last year and have had to completely rebuild their O-line.

What makes think they’re going to be “good”? Or do we jut automatically assume that any MFVC team is good?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CP
UDub
Penn State
ISU
UM
TxTech
NAU
SJSU
Ark
Sac
UNLV
Cal
SDSU
CPAlum
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Cal Poly

Post by CPAlum »

I think Davis has a chance to upset this week. I also believe Cal Poly will handle USD. Now that Walsh has named Jalen Hamler the starter at QB we might have an actual Triple Option offense again versus the Single Option (FB Dive offense) that they ran over the last two years.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

San Diego 30 at CP 24

EWU 42 at Washington 49

UI 10 at Penn State 34

Western Colorado 14 at ISU 42

UM 35 at South Dakota 29

MSU 20 at Texas Tech 42

Missouri State 28 at NAU 35

UNC 7 at San Jose State 45

PSU 13 at Arkansas 55

Southern Oregon 17 at SAC 41

SUU 31 at Nevada-Las Vegas 28

UCD 27 at California 35

WSU 21 at San Diego State 24
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Hey Screamin!

Long time
:thumb:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Thursday

Misery St. 24-38 NAUThe Big Sky notches their first MVFC win—there probably won't be many more

NoCo 17-38 SJSUThe Big Sky's worst takes on the Mountain West's worst

Saturday

EWU 21-48 UDubWill this be EWU's only loss of the regular season?

Portland St. 17-42 ArkansawOddsshark.com picked the Viks to win here… come on, Arkansas isn't that bad

San Diego 24-38 Cal PolyThe Toreros haven't fared well against the Big Sky in the regular season

Davis 26-34 CalThis is winnable for the Aggies, but Cal's defense is really good

Sore-egon 21-45 Sac StateOddly the only non-DI game this week

Idalol 10-63 Penn St.2019 will begin the exact same way 2018 ended for the Vandals

Suutah 27-42 UNLVThe T-Birds didn't even have a DC last year, so it couldn't possibly get worse… right?

Weber 13-27 San Diego St.Sac actually put a scare into the Aztecs last year

Montana 37-34 SoDak — How many eGriz weirdos will pick UM to upset Oregon after this? :? :lol:

Montana St. 27-44 Texas TechWill Matt Wells try to get fired so he can coach an NFL team, too? ;)

Drake 14-38 NoDakDrake did nearly beat UND in 2015, but I don't think this one will be that close
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Oh, and the ISU/Western Colorado game isn't until next week.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:Oh, and the ISU/Western Colorado game isn't until next week.
Oops. :oops:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:Oh, and the ISU/Western Colorado game isn't until next week.
Oops. :oops:
I was more amused with how everyone else just assumed that game was this week, too. :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:Thursday

Misery St. 24-38 NAUThe Big Sky notches their first MVFC win—there probably won't be many more

NoCo 17-38 SJSUThe Big Sky's worst takes on the Mountain West's worst

Saturday

EWU 21-48 UDubWill this be EWU's only loss of the regular season?

Portland St. 17-42 ArkansawOddsshark.com picked the Viks to win here… come on, Arkansas isn't that bad

San Diego 24-38 Cal PolyThe Toreros haven't fared well against the Big Sky in the regular season

Davis 26-34 CalThis is winnable for the Aggies, but Cal's defense is really good

Sore-egon 21-45 Sac StateOddly the only non-DI game this week

Idalol 10-63 Penn St.2019 will begin the exact same way 2018 ended for the Vandals

Suutah 27-42 UNLVThe T-Birds didn't even have a DC last year, so it couldn't possibly get worse… right?

Weber 13-27 San Diego St.Sac actually put a scare into the Aztecs last year

Montana 37-34 SoDak — How many eGriz weirdos will pick UM to upset Oregon after this? :? :lol:

Montana St. 27-44 Texas TechWill Matt Wells try to get fired so he can coach an NFL team, too? ;)

Drake 14-38 NoDakDrake did nearly beat UND in 2015, but I don't think this one will be that close
Lol. I will take the WAY under on MSU scoring 27 on Tech. WAY under.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

What's wrong with me?

I thought we were playing Fresneck today. That game's not until 21 SEP. SMH....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote:Opening weekend for football and everyone in the Big Sky plays at some point. Some good games on the docket highlighted by Montana and Northern Arizona meeting up with teams from the Missouri Valley Conference. As it is the start of season, I am at 0-0. Those who don't know, the Big Sky schools will be represented by their scoreboard abbreviations while those teams outside of the conference will be spelled out. For example, WSU will be Weber State, and Washington State will be spelled out. Here is my attempt at perfection right out of the gate. Have at it.

San Diego at CP---The Mustangs welcome the Toreros to their home for a tussle. Quite an ambitious attempt to get a good season off and running, welcoming a good Pioneer League team to your house. Can the Mustangs get this one...San Diego 28, CP 25.

EWU at Washington---The Eagles are hoping for great things this year and they have drawn one of the big hitters of the Pac-12 right off the bat. The Eagles have been giant killers before, but this may be a tall order to fill, even if it turns into a shootout...Washington 41, EWU 31.

UI at Penn State---Fulfilling an obligation from when the Vandals were FBS, they head in to Happy Valley. Can they break through and get a big win at the start of the year? It would be something, but Penn State does not lose these games often...Penn State 35, UI 14.

Western Colorado at ISU---The Bengals just need to find an important cog to fill and they could be dangerous. What a better way than to schedule a lower division school and get a good practice in. At least that is how it should go, anyway...ISU 38, Western Colorado 7.

UM at South Dakota---The Grizzlies make a trip into hostile Missouri Valley country as they meet up with a good South Dakota team. We should know early on if they are trending up or down. This will be a good win for them...UM 29, South Dakota 27.

MSU at Texas Tech---The Bobcats venture into Big 12 country as they step up a level. They have a great team back and only need a good reliable quarterback. The defense is strong, but strong enough to hold off a Big 12 team?...Texas Tech 35, MSU 17.

Missouri State at NAU---New coaching staff, new philosophy but an old face at quarterback to lead the Lumberjacks. Whether that leads to good things this year remains to be seen but for now a good game against the Missouri Valley squad...NAU 38, Missouri State 14.

UNC at San Jose State---Not much is expected out the Bears this season as they look to get back on track. Not much is expected out of their first opponent either. Can the Bears get an upset out of the gate? Can they keep it close?...San Jose State 38, UNC 7.

PSU at Arkansas---The Vikings are game enough to go into hallowed SEC country and try their luck. No Big Sky team has beaten an SEC team. Could this be the time? Actually, the Vikings may just hope to get out of there alive...Arkansas 48, PSU 10.

Southern Oregon at SAC---The Hornets would like to turn the ship around from last season and join those at the top, but that means not stubbing their toes against a lower division foe. Still, they should have enough for a win...SAC 27, Southern Oregon 17.

SUU at Nevada-Las Vegas---The Thunderbirds usually follow up a down year with a good year so this year should be a good one. So they should get this game against a bottom feeder, even if it is from the FBS. Or they shouldn't...Nevada-Las Vegas 38, SUU 10.

UCD at California---Was last year a fluke or do the Aggies have enough to stay at the top? if they do, they should be able to stay with a bottom tier Pac-12 school. Especially if that school is looking forward to Washington...California 27, UCD 22.

WSU at San Diego State---Are the Wildcats legit enough to stay near the top of the standings? Can they throw a bit of a scare into a good Mountain West team? They can win this game, but it will be a tough one...San Diego State 31, WSU 14.
11-1 although I still am wiping egg off my face for listing the Western Colorado/ISU game this week.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote:What's wrong with me?.
Too
Many Barq’s root beers.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:San Diego 30 at CP 24

EWU 42 at Washington 49

UI 10 at Penn State 34

UM 35 at South Dakota 29

MSU 20 at Texas Tech 42

Missouri State 28 at NAU 35

UNC 7 at San Jose State 45

PSU 13 at Arkansas 55

Southern Oregon 17 at SAC 41

SUU 31 at Nevada-Las Vegas 28

UCD 27 at California 35

WSU 21 at San Diego State 24
Too much faith in odd year SUU, or not enough faith in a Hauckless UNLV. 10-2.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

kalm wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:What's wrong with me?.
Too
Many Barq’s root beers.
Too many? I don't even touch Barq's. It's nasty.

I drink A&W mostly; it was invented in my hometown. I DO also like Mug....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.