kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Playoff projection thread

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:Image
IMO there is just a huge chasm between top 4 and the rest of the field. I'd actually be OK with a I-A four team format this year. The rest are just so mediocre.
Not really.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote:Image
IMO there is just a huge chasm between top 4 and the rest of the field. I'd actually be OK with a I-A four team format this year. The rest are just so mediocre.
Not really.
Yes, really. UNI already lost to two of the top 4 and by season end will be 0-3 vs the top 4. That alone tells you there is a big difference. :nod:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:UNH is barely a top 20 team. Somebody on the committee really, really likes them.
The Top 25 polls are garbage though. Number of examples of a team with an equal or better record to a team tbey beat, yet ranked below. UNH beat VU, UNH has a better record (vs I—AA), 4-1 CAA vs 3-3 for VU, yet VU ranked above. Retarded.

After the comittee’s 1st 9, there’s a number of teams you could put in 10th.
UNH FCS losses to Holy Cross and Delaware, Illinois St only fcs losses to NDSU and UNI.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: The Top 25 polls are garbage though. Number of examples of a team with an equal or better record to a team tbey beat, yet ranked below. UNH beat VU, UNH has a better record (vs I—AA), 4-1 CAA vs 3-3 for VU, yet VU ranked above. Retarded.

UNH FCS losses to Holy Cross and Delaware, Illinois St only fcs losses to NDSU and UNI.
You could definitely make a case for Illinois State, but the fact that they've beaten nobody tells you how awful things are this year.

Anyone who has argued against 93 and me about the sad state of I-AA has to admit defeat this year.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Truth. The Woff'ed team was in a semi against Delaware just a few years before IIRC?
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
Not really.
Yes, really. UNI already lost to two of the top 4 and by season end will be 0-3 vs the top 4. That alone tells you there is a big difference. :nod:
Furman has lost two FCS games in two years one of which was to a surging Citadel who beat GT. Sac has one FCS loss where the back up comes in and quickly throws two picks that turned the game. UCA has one FCS loss and an FBS win plus two wins over probable playoff teams. SDSU has played a weak schedule and is lacking quality wins although their two losses were ok. Separation is occurring but not quite a chasm.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: Yes, really. UNI already lost to two of the top 4 and by season end will be 0-3 vs the top 4. That alone tells you there is a big difference. :nod:
Furman has lost two FCS games in two years one of which was to a surging Citadel who beat GT. Sac has one FCS loss where the back up comes in and quickly throws two picks that turned the game. UCA has one FCS loss and an FBS win plus two wins over probable playoff teams. SDSU has played a weak schedule and is lacking quality wins although their two losses were ok. Separation is occurring but not quite a chasm.
To make a case for teams being good, I much prefer talking about wins, not losses. Show me who they've beaten. More often than not you end up with circular crap like Kennesaw/Jacksonville State where they're both ranked highly so one of them gets credit for a good win and the other gets their loss dismissed because it was to a highly ranked team.

Do you really think anyone 5+ has a good shot to beat one of the top 4? I can't recall a year where I would have said no before this one.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: Yes, really. UNI already lost to two of the top 4 and by season end will be 0-3 vs the top 4. That alone tells you there is a big difference. :nod:
Don’t factor in GT they are complete shite

If they had played a complete FCS schedule they’d be 3-7 right now
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: The Top 25 polls are garbage though. Number of examples of a team with an equal or better record to a team tbey beat, yet ranked below. UNH beat VU, UNH has a better record (vs I—AA), 4-1 CAA vs 3-3 for VU, yet VU ranked above. Retarded.

-UNH has 3 wins over teams with winning records: VU (6-3), SBU (5-4), Duquesne (6-2)
The other 2: Elon (4-5) and URI (2-7)

ILSU has beaten 1 team with winning record- SIU (5-4).
The rest:
-Non scholly Morehead (4-4)
-EIU (0-9)
-NAU (4–5)
-WIU (1-8)
-Indiana St (3-6)
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:Do you really think anyone 5+ has a good shot to beat one of the top 4? I can't recall a year where I would have said no before this one.
Yes. I think UNI has a shot against SDSU. I think UNI would have a shot against Weber in a rematch. I haven't seen JMU play this year so I can't say if I think they have a shot against them.

UNI is young and inconsistent but they're putting it together and could be a threat in the playoffs.

Just because Delaware is mediocre doesn't mean all of FCS is mediocre.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote:Just because Delaware is mediocre doesn't mean all of FCS is mediocre.
Correct, but both happen to be true.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Just because Delaware is mediocre doesn't mean all of FCS is mediocre.
Poor 89Hen ...
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote:
89Hen wrote: Correct, but both happen to be true.
Poor 89Hen ...
:| Hens have been bad for a while 88, long enough that I'm over it. Sorry the truth about I-AA is harder for you to swallow.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by vutomcat »

89Hen wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
Poor 89Hen ...
:| Hens have been bad for a while 88, long enough that I'm over it. Sorry the truth about I-AA is harder for you to swallow.
It's FCS, and you're not over anything.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Thanks for joining in Tommy.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
Poor 89Hen ...
:| Hens have been bad for a while 88, long enough that I'm over it. Sorry my opinion about I-AA is harder for you to swallow.
FYP

I don't have to swallow anything. It's your opinion and about as factual as some of JSO's political opinions. You're entitled to it but I don't have to agree with it.

Eeyore in the rain should be your avatar.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote:
89Hen wrote: :| Hens have been bad for a while 88, long enough that I'm over it. Sorry my opinion about I-AA is harder for you to swallow.
FYP

I don't have to swallow anything. It's your opinion and about as factual as some of JSO's political opinions. You're entitled to it but I don't have to agree with it.

Why? I'm not sulking about the Hens or I-AA. Just stating the truth. 3 wins over I-A schools this year. A 15 year low.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
FYP

Why? I'm not sulking about the Hens or I-AA. Just stating the truth. 3 wins over I-A schools this year. A 15 year low.
Those are truths that support your opinion, they don't make your opinion a fact.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:
Absolutely correct. 89's and my opinion have zilch to do with Delaware. FCS is just really bad compared to last decade.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
FYP

That's a damning stat, because each recent year before now, the apologists would cite FBS wins.

A typical year last decade, you'd have five strong CAA teams, three or four strong SoCon teams, three strong Gateway teams, and a couple of strong Big Fluffs in every playoff field. There's nothing similar among the conferences now.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan wrote:
89Hen wrote: Why? I'm not sulking about the Hens or I-AA. Just stating the truth. 3 wins over I-A schools this year. A 15 year low.
That's a damning stat, because each recent year before now, the apologists would cite FBS wins.

A typical year last decade, you'd have five strong CAA teams, three or four strong SoCon teams, three strong Gateway teams, and a couple of strong Big Fluffs in every playoff field. There's nothing similar among the conferences now.
Look West and the Ivy's. The Ivy's, might just have a stronger conference this year. Princeton and Dartmouth could compete in the MVFC and could possibly challenge JMU in the CAA. Richmond losing to Yale as an example. CAA is not the barometer of whether FCS is up or down, it's a barometer of whether the CAA is up or down.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:
89Hen wrote: Correct, but both happen to be true.
Absolutely correct. 89's and my opinion have zilch to do with Delaware. FCS is just really bad compared to last decade.
See? It's settled. :ugeek:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:The Ivy's, might just have a stronger conference this year. Princeton and Dartmouth could compete in the MVFC and could possibly challenge JMU in the CAA. Richmond losing to Yale as an example. CAA is not the barometer of whether FCS is up or down, it's a barometer of whether the CAA is up or down.
:rofl: You couldn't have typed that with a straight face.

And aren't you the guy who predicted 3-4 losses for the Bizen?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:The Ivy's, might just have a stronger conference this year. Princeton and Dartmouth could compete in the MVFC and could possibly challenge JMU in the CAA. Richmond losing to Yale as an example. CAA is not the barometer of whether FCS is up or down, it's a barometer of whether the CAA is up or down.

Hey man, any given Saturday.

Hey! That’s a snazzy saying. I should trademark it. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

89Hen wrote:

I take it back. You had them at 7-5. :lol: