dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: FCS Footbal Alive and Well

Post by dal4018 »

Ivytalk wrote:
dal4018 wrote: What about Doug Williams he had great size coming out of high school listed at 6-4 210.
I don’t know. Did he work at the Piggly Wiggly?
I have no idea.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: FCS Footbal Alive and Well

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
UNI88 wrote:I believe GSU played club football in 1982 & 1983. They didn't have a team in a long time before that. First year playing I-AA was 1984 and they won the Natty in 1985 & 1986. Ham and Erk led them to those championships.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
1985 and 86 are the 2 years NDSU and GSU matched Championships. Would have been fun.
Robinson was a waist of talent as a WR with the Giants.Parcells threw the ball once a decade in the '80s.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Stacy Robinson was a heck of receiver for the Bison in the early 80s. He was part of the 1983 National Championship team. A knack for the incredible catch (Randy Moss must have watched his films), great speed and tremendous blocker he thrilled the crowds at Dacotah Field. His name is still all over the Bison Lore record books.

It was option football and now the Bison had a world class receiver to throw to! Defenses were beside themselves as the Bison perfected the option pass.

In 1986 on Monday Night Football Robinson was part of a great Giants third qtr comeback. Behind by 21 Robinson hauled in a Long TD pass and another long pass bringing the ball to the goal line to set up the winning score. Record says 5 catches for 119 yds.

They went on to win Super Bowl 26 vs Denver and Robinson had 3 catches for a team high 62 yds.

Stacy Robinson passed away in 2012 from multiple myeloma at 50. God Bless.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

JBB wrote:Stacy Robinson was a heck of receiver for the Bison in the early 80s. He was part of the 1983 National Championship team. A knack for the incredible catch (Randy Moss must have watched his films), great speed and tremendous blocker he thrilled the crowds at Dacotah Field. His name is still all over the Bison Lore record books.

It was option football and now the Bison had a world class receiver to throw to! Defenses were beside themselves as the Bison perfected the option pass.

In 1986 on Monday Night Football Robinson was part of a great Giants third qtr comeback. Behind by 21 Robinson hauled in a Long TD pass and another long pass bringing the ball to the goal line to set up the winning score. Record says 5 catches for 119 yds.

They went on to win Super Bowl 26 vs Denver and Robinson had 3 catches for a team high 62 yds.

Stacy Robinson passed away in 2012 from multiple myeloma at 50. God Bless.
That Monday night game Robinson had 5 grabs for 116 yds vs the Niners and he was a 4.35 man in his prime but I didn't know that he was a track man while in college.The WR that I gravitated towards was STEPHEN BAKER who came later and he was a 4.37 man in his own right out of Fresno State.Robinson still holds the school marks in the sprints.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
6 Bison in the NFL. JMU is now the power in the CAA, EWU and Weber in the Big Sky. Montana is up and down, Delaware mostly down. Those are the fans saying FCS is down
7/8 NC’s and only SIX bison in the NFL. That doesn’t seem “down” to you?

I mean, SOMEONE is always going to be the relative “power”....doesn’t mean the football is as good.
There is a guy named BRIAN MC LAUGHLIN who watches FCS FOOTBALL and he is picking North Dakota St and James Madison for the finals This is the top rivalry of the FCS.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

dal4018 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
7/8 NC’s and only SIX bison in the NFL. That doesn’t seem “down” to you?

I mean, SOMEONE is always going to be the relative “power”....doesn’t mean the football is as good.
There is a guy named BRIAN MC LAUGHLIN who watches FCS FOOTBALL and he is picking North Dakota St and James Madison for the finals This is the top rivalry of the FCS.
He's really going out on a limb there. :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote:
dal4018 wrote: There is a guy named BRIAN MC LAUGHLIN who watches FCS FOOTBALL and he is picking North Dakota St and James Madison for the finals This is the top rivalry of the FCS.
real risk taker, that one. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: He's really going out on a limb there. :lol:
Who are you taking????
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

89Hen wrote:
dal4018 wrote: There is a guy named BRIAN MC LAUGHLIN who watches FCS FOOTBALL and he is picking North Dakota St and James Madison for the finals This is the top rivalry of the FCS.
How about Montana St vs JMU????
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

dal4018 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Who are you taking????
If you had to wager, wouldn't you take the two CLEAR favorites?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Nope. Almost guaranteed representation of teams across the board is down. Some of the biggest "providers" from the FCS level (App St, GSU, etc.) have moved up....who took their places? ETU? Mercer?

That's endemic of what's happened to FCS football...we may one day get back to where we (collectively) were, but I doubt it.
JMU has ten on NFL rosters right now (7 active, 3 practice squads). An 11th that was cut in training camp.
2012 was probably 1/2 that..
Down to 9 on NFL rosters this month (8 active, 1 practice squad), but 4 on the Bucs. Anyone ever have 4 on the same team, with 3 on the field at one time?
LT #64 Aaron Stinnie (2017 JMU FB)
LG #72 Josh Wells Wells (2013 JMU FB)
RG #71 Earl Watford (2012 JMU FB)

On the sidelines: WR Ishmael Hyman (2017 JMU FB). This past weekend promoted from practice squad.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

The "we have this many on NFL rosters" argument is really dumb. Some of the best FCS players are ill-equipped to succeed in the NFL. Take the 2005-2007 App State squads. Armanti Edwards had a cup of coffee at Practice Squad Cafe. Who else from those teams made an NFL career? One or two maybe? Corey Lynch played a few years.

Meanwhile, Delaware is sending players to the NFL with regularity this decade (Bilal Nichols, Nick Boyle, Nasir Adderly, etc, etc) and we haven't won a playoff game this decade.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: JMU has ten on NFL rosters right now (7 active, 3 practice squads). An 11th that was cut in training camp.
2012 was probably 1/2 that..
Down to 9 on NFL rosters this month (8 active, 1 practice squad), but 4 on the Bucs. Anyone ever have 4 on the same team, with 3 on the field at one time?
LT #64 Aaron Stinnie (2017 JMU FB)
LG #72 Josh Wells Wells (2013 JMU FB)
RG #71 Earl Watford (2012 JMU FB)

On the sidelines: WR Ishmael Hyman (2017 JMU FB). This past weekend promoted from practice squad.
EWU has two in the Tams full time roster, Kupp and Ebukam. Webster was added to the 53 man roster two weeks ago to return kicks. Aaron Neary has been on and off the last few years including a couple of starts.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Billy Turner and Darrius Shepherd we both on the field for the Packers earlier this year.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote:In 2012 there were ELEVEN Montana Grizzlies on NFL rosters.

Today? ONE.

THAT is all you need to know about the strength of FCS football currently.
93henfan wrote:The "we have this many on NFL rosters" argument is really dumb. Some of the best FCS players are ill-equipped to succeed in the NFL. Take the 2005-2007 App State squads. Armanti Edwards had a cup of coffee at Practice Squad Cafe. Who else from those teams made an NFL career? One or two maybe? Corey Lynch played a few years.

Meanwhile, Delaware is sending players to the NFL with regularity this decade (Bilal Nichols, Nick Boyle, Nasir Adderly, etc, etc) and we haven't won a playoff game this decade.
Well, AZ is saying less NFL players = FCS is down. When I point out schools that have a lot of NFL players, you say it doesn't matter..Lots of NFL players = FCS is down.

It can't be both ways..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote:The "we have this many on NFL rosters" argument is really dumb. Some of the best FCS players are ill-equipped to succeed in the NFL. Take the 2005-2007 App State squads. Armanti Edwards had a cup of coffee at Practice Squad Cafe. Who else from those teams made an NFL career? One or two maybe? Corey Lynch played a few years.

Edwards spent 3 1/2 seasons with the Panthers, played in 41 games, mostly returning punts & kicks.

At least 7 players who played on at least 1 of the ASU 2005-2007 NC teams and later played in the NFL (might have missed somebody):
-Jason Hunter, DE, 2006-2013 with 4 teams.
-Marques Murrell, DE, 2007-2010 with Jets & Patriots.
-Dexter Jackson, (2nd rd) 2008.
-Corey Lynch, (6th rd) 2008-2013 with 5 teams.
-Armanti Edwards (3rd rd) 2010-2013 with the Panthers & Browns.
-DJ Smith, LB, 2011-2014 with 3 teams.
-Daniel Kilgore, OL 2011-current with San Fran & Miami.

Looks like 2011-2013 there was 5 at one time..
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I didn't say that lots of NFL equals FCS down. I'm saying there's not much of a correlation either way.

Delaware was the example I gave. We have a ton of impact players in the NFL and we've sucked for a decade. We also sent quite a few to the NFL the decade before that when we went to the chipper three times.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ahem...

Andre Roberts started in the NFL the same year as Armanti and he is still playing

And he was in the Pro Bowl last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:I didn't say that lots of NFL equals FCS down. I'm saying there's not much of a correlation either way.

Delaware was the example I gave. We have a ton of impact players in the NFL and we've sucked for a decade. We also sent quite a few to the NFL the decade before that when we went to the chipper three times.
Yeah...we know. :kisswink:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:I didn't say that lots of NFL equals FCS down. I'm saying there's not much of a correlation either way.
:nod: Back in the day the MEAC and SWAC put in TONS of players compared to other I-AA conferences but their teams stunk on ice. SWAC was what 0-17 or 0-19 all time in the playoffs when they were still sending teams.