Football Championship Subdivision discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: FCS Footbal Alive and Well

Post by 89Hen »

And it is funny, that if we go on best college career, Warner doesn't make any list. He started one year I think?

BTW, if you also want to include awesome guys off the field, you'd be hard pressed to find two better men than Warner and Gannon.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:And it is funny, that if we go on best college career, Warner doesn't make any list. He started one year I think?

BTW, if you also want to include awesome guys off the field, you'd be hard pressed to find two better men than Warner and Gannon.
Both very true.

Warner was the Conference Offensive POY but it's a farce that he made this list and brings into question any other position group ...

Celebrating 35 Years -- Top MVFC QBs

Eric Sanders and Mike Smith had much more accomplished college careers at UNI.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote:And it is funny, that if we go on best college career, Warner doesn't make any list. He started one year I think?

Warner gets my GOAT vote in the category of grocery stockboy.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

If memory serves, Joe Montana didn't even start until his senior year (though that obviously wasn't FCS). And Matt Cassell never started a game until he got to the NFL, and that goes back to Pop Warner....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

GAD_SU wrote:
dal4018 wrote: Southern has a QB named DJ White listed at 6-5 230 why isn't he the starting QB his parents are SU Alum.
Skelton won the position White might be a red shirt
Skelton is a Russel Wilson wannabe but he is getting the job done he had his name mentioned on ESPN recently.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote:

If memory serves, Joe Montana didn't even start until his senior year (though that obviously wasn't FCS). And Matt Cassell never started a game until he got to the NFL, and that goes back to Pop Warner....
Montana was a midget in high school he was barely over 6-0 tall as a senior.His lack of size was the main thing held against him coming into the NFL.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Ivytalk wrote:

Warner gets my GOAT vote in the category of grocery stockboy.
What about Doug Williams he had great size coming out of high school listed at 6-4 210.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

What about Willie Totten or Steve McNair they were putting up MADDEN TYPE NUMBERS in college.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

dal4018 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Warner gets my GOAT vote in the category of grocery stockboy.
What about Doug Williams he had great size coming out of high school listed at 6-4 210.
I don’t know. Did he work at the Piggly Wiggly?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: RE: Re: FCS Footbal Alive and Well

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
How would you rank the best?

NFL career? Statistics? Championships?
I would probably use impact on FCS. I think Tracy Ham is the greatest QB in the history of I-AA/FCS. What he led Georgia Southern to accomplish in such a short time was incredible.

If you go by NFL career then Warner, McNair, Gannon and possibly others are ahead of Wentz.
Ham was great, I remember him in the CFL. NDSU should have been I-AA, but for the conference they were in, going the other direction.

NDSU had one of their best QB's during the same period, Jeff Bentrim 1983-86, and won 3 DII Championships. NDSU probably could have defeated Georgia Southern during that time frame too. NDSU also winning NC's in 1988 and 1990 under another great QB Chris Simdorn. Jeff Bentrim is in the College FB Hall of Fame, Class of 1998, Ham 2007. Bentrim's center Mike Favor is also in the college football HOF. Bentrim broke Walter Paytons NCAA record at the time, for career rushing TD's, regular season with 64. Bentrim won the first Harlan Hill award for best player in DII, Simdorn is also a Harlan Hill winner.

Looking at games played, Troy St beat GSU in 1983: 28-27, and lost in 1985: 17-10. In 1984 NDSU lost to Troy on a last second 50 yd FG in the NC game. They wouldn't win every game against GSU, but they would have won a few. it would have been great to see 2 option teams banging heads back then, with Bentrim and Ham leading them.

Bison had some NFL talent in those days, Tyrone Braxton a couple rings with Denver as a DB, and Stacey Robinson, a couple rings with NY Giants as a WR.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: FCS Footbal Alive and Well

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
I would probably use impact on FCS. I think Tracy Ham is the greatest QB in the history of I-AA/FCS. What he led Georgia Southern to accomplish in such a short time was incredible.

If you go by NFL career then Warner, McNair, Gannon and possibly others are ahead of Wentz.
Ham was great, I remember him in the CFL. NDSU should have been I-AA, but for the conference they were in, going the other direction.

NDSU had one of their best QB's during the same period, Jeff Bentrim 1983-86, and won 3 DII Championships. NDSU probably could have defeated Georgia Southern during that time frame too. NDSU also winning NC's in 1988 and 1990 under another great QB Chris Simdorn. Jeff Bentrim is in the College FB Hall of Fame, Class of 1998, Ham 2007. Bentrim's center Mike Favor is also in the college football HOF. Bentrim broke Walter Paytons NCAA record at the time, for career rushing TD's, regular season with 64. Bentrim won the first Harlan Hill award for best player in DII, Simdorn is also a Harlan Hill winner.

Looking at games played, Troy St beat GSU in 1983: 28-27, and lost in 1985: 17-10. In 1984 NDSU lost to Troy on a last second 50 yd FG in the NC game. They wouldn't win every game against GSU, but they would have won a few. it would have been great to see 2 option teams banging heads back then, with Bentrim and Ham leading them.

Bison had some NFL talent in those days, Tyrone Braxton a couple rings with Denver as a DB, and Stacey Robinson, a couple rings with NY Giants as a WR.
I believe GSU played club football in 1982 & 1983. They didn't have a team in a long time before that. First year playing I-AA was 1984 and they won the Natty in 1985 & 1986. Ham and Erk led them to those championships.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: FCS Footbal Alive and Well

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

I believe GSU played club football in 1982 & 1983. They didn't have a team in a long time before that. First year playing I-AA was 1984 and they won the Natty in 1985 & 1986. Ham and Erk led them to those championships.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
1985 and 86 are the 2 years NDSU and GSU matched Championships. Would have been fun.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

If Oregon and NDSU win it all this year the defending FCS/FBS National Champions will kick off the 2020 season at Autzen Stadium. That would be a big game.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JBB wrote:If Oregon and NDSU win it all this year the defending FCS/FBS National Champions will kick off the 2020 season at Autzen Stadium. That would be a big game.
I wouldn't mind Oregon, if they win out from here, getting the nod as the 4th team in the College Playoffs, but let's be honest, the chances of them winning two games in that playoff (against possibly Ohio St and Clemson) are extremely slim and possibly nil. NDSU will be the only defending champ in that game (and I don't think there's really any doubt of that).
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote:
JBB wrote:If Oregon and NDSU win it all this year the defending FCS/FBS National Champions will kick off the 2020 season at Autzen Stadium. That would be a big game.
I wouldn't mind Oregon, if they win out from here, getting the nod as the 4th team in the College Playoffs, but let's be honest, the chances of them winning two games in that playoff (against possibly Ohio St and Clemson) are extremely slim and possibly nil. NDSU will be the only defending champ in that game (and I don't think there's really any doubt of that).
Yes there is. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Nah, no one's beating NDSU in Fargo and then there's the Fargo home away from home game in Frisco. If you gave me NDSU versus the field I'd pick NDSU with a fair amount of confidence.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

dal4018 wrote:What about Willie Totten... putting up MADDEN TYPE NUMBERS in college.
Until he faced real competition. Totten got crushed in the first round of the playoffs.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Nah, no one's beating NDSU in Fargo and then there's the Fargo home away from home game in Frisco. If you gave me NDSU versus the field I'd pick NDSU with a fair amount of confidence.
JMU, Moantana and a couple others might not agree.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Were those part of the 5 teams that you claimed would beat the Bizen this year? :kisswink:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Were those part of the 5 teams that you claimed would beat the Bizen this year? :kisswink:
Nope
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: Were those part of the 5 teams that you claimed would beat the Bizen this year? :kisswink:
Nope
So now we're up to what, 8, 9, 10... teams that can beat the Bizen? :lol:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Nope
So now we're up to what, 8, 9, 10... teams that can beat the Bizen? :lol:
Before the season started, I wasn't as high on the Bison. QB Trey Lance looks pretty good right now. UCD and Delaware ended up being down from last year, UNI, ISUR and SDSU didn't improve enough. Didn't expect SIU to be sitting at 7-4 though. They are always tough on the road. Right now there are 3 Big Sky teams, JMU and maybe SDSU that could have a chance to beat NDSU in the playoffs.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:Before the season started, I wasn't as high on the Bison.
You don't say. :kisswink:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote:
Looks like we've found the third member of the throuple ...

Sorry, AZ there are 3 swords.

Oregon would be a long shot but they would have a chance. They have an extremely good, veteran OLine with a talented QB and a tough defense. They're built more like a traditional SEC team than a PAC12 team. They will be battle tested and have won close games in a variety of ways. Their OLine vs. Chase Young and the Ohio State defense would be an fun battle to watch.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Well, if it’s not 100% confidence, then there really IS doubt, now isnt’ there?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12