Total votes: 27

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: NDSU vs. JMU National Championship Game Thread

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote:
According research team, there may be a historical factor in all this. Bison is a French word pronounced “Bee-zohn,” and our pronunciation may have its roots there, going back generations to the area’s early fur traders and explorers. “Winnipeg has a significant French influence, so it’s very possible we borrowed from them. That would also explain why hardly anyone else in the U.S. says it that way,” Barta said.
https://www.ndsu.edu/news/view/detail/36952/
Of course hardly anyone else in America pronounces it that way. Most of the rest of America don't pronounce things like faggity ass Frenchmen.

There was a large population of French descendants in ND (The Metis) running part of the fur trade that the name is probably a holdover from.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:
Don't be so overly dramatic....
Spoiler: show
(A softball sized meteor with a stadium sized blast radius would suffice)
:notworthy: :lol:

Like a Yankees-Dodgers World Series: Real ‘Muricans want both teams to lose.
On one hand thanks for the complement that we are at the Yankees level, on the other hand .... :tap:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: https://www.ndsu.edu/news/view/detail/36952/
Of course hardly anyone else in America pronounces it that way. Most of the rest of America don't pronounce things like faggity ass Frenchmen.

There was a large population of French descendants in ND (The Metis) running part of the fur trade that the name is probably a holdover from.
Hauling the hides off to market on their Red River Carts.

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

A couple players with experience playing against JMU, are the 2 defensive players that forced Schor to rush a couple passes on JMU's last driver. Tuska forced a pass OB, and Cox put him on his back on the last throw towards the end zone. Schor did a great job of just getting rid of the ball, as Cox was knocking him down, and gave JMU a great chance to get to the ball.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Looks like the fake punt is still on the table
A fake punt from Matt Voigtlander was the springboard play in NDSU’s 17-6 win over Sam Houston State in the 2011 Football Championship Subdivision title game. The Bison will be gunning for their eighth crown in nine years on Jan. 11 when they face James Madison at Toyota Stadium
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

JMU@West Virginia highlites

https://youtu.be/lO2sQGBE_u4
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

I love the "they have more money" comments but they don't actually talk about real numbers. As an example; The Fargo Dome sits on land owned by NDSU but they don't own the building. The city of Fargo built, maintains, and owns the Fargo Dome. NDSU annual rent payment to the city of Fargo is $1.00. I would guess our athletic budget would look quite different of we didn't have the expense of BFS, practice facility, training center, ect...
:lol:

NDSU uses a very valuable land asset to provide football facilities. Smart. A profit deal.
  • JMU spends cash,
    twice as much as NDSU on football :lol:
    50 million on athletics
our athletic budget would look quite different of we didn't have the expense of BFS, practice facility, training center, ect...

Exactly, gold plated wins.

JMU just isn’t that good at running their program. Wins are expensive. Not a problem. Students can pay.

NDSU is and has been the best there is at running a successful football program. More often than not, say 65-70% of the time it shows on the field too.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

93henfan wrote:Please, God.

January 11, 2020. 12 noon Eastern Standard Time. Frisco, Texas, United States of America, Earth.

Giant meteor.

This is all we ask.

Amen.
I was looking for what network is going televised this game and found nothing.Usually ESPN has the rights to the showing of this game.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dal4018 wrote:
93henfan wrote:Please, God.

January 11, 2020. 12 noon Eastern Standard Time. Frisco, Texas, United States of America, Earth.

Giant meteor.

This is all we ask.

Amen.
I was looking for what network is going televised this game and found nothing.Usually ESPN has the rights to the showing of this game.
ABC has the game.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

JBB wrote:Exactly, gold plated wins.
:orly:

Tell that to the Yankees....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
I get that this is a young NDSU team compared to past NDSU teams.
Guess I can’t make you understand what I am saying. Compared to other teams (IE the rest of FCS), NDSU isn’t young.
NDSU is a young team compared to other teams, if you look at the entire roster and players that played this season. They are a young NDSU team too. I think you should do an entire team comparison with Phil Steele's formula.
NDSU isn't a young team compared to other teams if you look at the 2 deep.
The entire roster isn't relevant when its the 2 deep that plays almost all the snaps outside of garbage time.
Yeah I'm going to pull up the most recent game notes for 120+ teams, and scoring their 2 deep with Steele's formula would only take about 30+ hrs.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
NDSU is a young team compared to other teams, if you look at the entire roster and players that played this season. They are a young NDSU team too. I think you should do an entire team comparison with Phil Steele's formula.
The entire roster isn't relevant when its the 2 deep that plays almost all the snaps outside of garbage time.
Yeah I'm going to pull up the most recent game notes for 120+ teams, and scoring their 2 deep with Steele's formula would only take about 30+ hrs.
The entire roster is relevant! NDSU plays more than 2 deep in every game.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Time for my yearly, "the game should be played tomorrow post". Still relevant. You are welcome.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

SuperHornet wrote:
JBB wrote:Exactly, gold plated wins.
:orly:

Tell that to the Yankees....
NDSU doesn’t play the Yankees but you do get the idea of what we are up against: a big bloated back-east institution!

The fact they are only outspending NDSU 2:1 must have them a little worried. They are used to 3 or 4 to 1. Iowa was outspending NDSU at least 6:1.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Who won this game?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:Who won this game?
I just found out yesterday that I didn't get any tickets thru NDSU. This is a big event for us flyover people. Need some time to plan. My big TV for the Big Game was delivered yesterday too. Glad I can watch it on a 65' screen, instead of the old 51'er.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Conversation at the Eagles club today (ham steak & scalloped potatoes and 2 for 1 happy hour lunch special!) included NDSU vs Gophers. The Jackrabbit game is a thorn in the side for excited Gopher fans.

When talk turned to the big game I was able to compliment the JMU squad as very capable and very well funded. Most at the Eagles club felt the same saying JMU was full of seniors (some 5 yr), jrs and transfers too. They said it was a Big advantage over the young Bison squad led by a first year coach. I agreed.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

JBB wrote:Conversation at the Eagles club today (ham steak & scalloped potatoes and 2 for 1 happy hour lunch special!) included NDSU vs Gophers. The Jackrabbit game is a thorn in the side for excited Gopher fans.

When talk turned to the big game I was able to compliment the JMU squad as very capable and very well funded. Most at the Eagles club felt the same saying JMU was full of seniors (some 5 yr), jrs and transfers too. They said it was a Big advantage over the young Bison squad led by a first year coach. I agreed.
Yup, NDSU might as well not even show up. They're in over their heads. No way they can win. Was Lou Holtz the keynote speaker?
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote:Who won this game?
I just found out yesterday that I didn't get any tickets thru NDSU. This is a big event for us flyover people. Need some time to plan. My big TV for the Big Game was delivered yesterday too. Glad I can watch it on a 65' screen, instead of the old 51'er.
I'm sorry, but that need to plan bullshit doesn't work anymore. NDSU goes to Frisco every year. I'd bet that enough Bison fans to fill that stadium look ahead and make plans well before the semis end.

And congratulations in advance on another Championship.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Frank Cignetti is no stranger to the NDSU football program losing to the Bison in numerous D2 playoff games and in the 1990 D2 National Championship Game. I’m sure he has his speech ready and rehearsed.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

**********FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE**********

At 5 Dimes

JMU -1.5. 110 gets 100 (-110)

Straight-up.
JMU to win. 125 gets 100. (-125)
NDSU to win. 100 gets 105. (+105)
GAM Labs has accepted the proposition from 5 Dimes: NDSU BISON to win. 100 down for 105
Last edited by JBB on Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
dal4018 wrote: I was looking for what network is going televised this game and found nothing.Usually ESPN has the rights to the showing of this game.
ABC has the game.
Thanks Showtime starts next weekend!!!!!! ESPN usually televised this game on Friday Night in yrs past.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

JBB wrote:Frank Cignetti is no stranger to the NDSU football program losing to the Bison in numerous D2 playoff games and in the 1990 D2 National Championship Game. I’m sure he has his speech ready and rehearsed.
Not exactly. Cignetti lost to NDSU twice both in 1990
  • Sept 1, 1990 @ Dakotah Field 28-18
    Dec 8, 1990 for the D2 National Championship 51-11
This is his third time out vs. The BISON. Rocky Hager was an option coach. Next up Bob Babich not only opened new recruiting doors but evolved the option. That revolution has continued through today.

Cignetti may be playing the 2019/2020 BISON but he is also playing the program and the 1990 team. It’s all part of the legendary Bison Lore.
Last edited by JBB on Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
JBB wrote:Conversation at the Eagles club today (ham steak & scalloped potatoes and 2 for 1 happy hour lunch special!) included NDSU vs Gophers. The Jackrabbit game is a thorn in the side for excited Gopher fans.

Yup, NDSU might as well not even show up. They're in over their heads. No way they can win. Was Lou Holtz the keynote speaker?
NDSU is a 2 point dog in this one
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
4 of the top 6 offensive performers are 2 Fr, 2 Soph
Top 2 receivers are Soph
Top 2 tacklers are Soph
2 of the top 4 rushers are Fr or Soph (over 500 yards)
Freshman QB
Int leader Soph
Total Offense 2 of 4 Fr or Soph (over 500 yards)
Top Scores 6 of 10 Fr or Soph (over 30 points)
Season High for for a single game 17 times by Fr & Soph, 6 by Jr & Sr

19 times a Fr or Soph lead NDSU Yards Rushing and/or Receiving out of 30 chances, 6 different players.