What will happen with the 2020 college football season?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Re: What will happen with the 2020 college football season?

Post by JALMOND »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:42 pm
JALMOND wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:48 am Portland State football wasn't going to be able to practice until the county was at Phase 3 of Oregon's reopening plan anyway. Currently, the county is at Phase 1.

https://goviks.com/news/2020/8/7/big-sk ... pring.aspx
Just give those Antifa boys some helmets and pads, and throw them out there. :twocents:
Antifa are mean and nasty, but they never quit (or back down). Portland State would bring home the championship, if that was the case. :D
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Well, JMU just had 2 enter the transfer portal, including 1 of their 3 top pro prospects according to Draftscout.
-#2 ranked FS in I-AA (rSr, could play as grad)
https://withthefirstpick.com/2020/08/06 ... er-portal/
https://draftscout.com/div.php?CFBDivis ... &order=ASC
-1 of JMU's 2 yr starting DTs (rSr, could play as a grad)

Still have the #1 ranked DT in I-AA (a true senior):
and the #1 ranked OG (a true senior, has been playing OT last 2 seasons):
My guess is they haven't jumped because haven't graduated yet, so would have to sit a season.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Silenoz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:21 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:37 am Looking better than it did a month ago with all the conferences pulling fall sports. Hey, we even had an AGS preseason poll.
You boys shoulda moved up when you had a chance!
When did we have a chance. A conference invite, a bigger stadium, more money just to start with.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:20 pm
Silenoz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:21 am

You boys shoulda moved up when you had a chance!
When did we have a chance. A conference invite, a bigger stadium, more money just to start with.
Coastal and frickin' Liberty and UMass figured that shit out. Where there's a will there's a way.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:51 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:42 pm
Just give those Antifa boys some helmets and pads, and throw them out there. :twocents:
Antifa are mean and nasty, but they never quit (or back down). Portland State would bring home the championship, if that was the case. :D
But the Proud Boys would sign up to play at EWU. That game could get nasty. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Silenoz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:58 pm

Coastal and frickin' Liberty and UMass figured that shit out. Where there's a will there's a way.
I would pick better examples than publics UMass (now homeless), and CCU. Since they moved up:
UMass:
2012: 1-11
2013: 1-11
2014: 3-9
2015: 3-9
2016: 2-10 (booted from their conference)
2017: 4-8
2018: 4-8
2019: 1-11
UMass (and UConn for that matter) might as well drop back down, or drop football.

CCU:
2017: 3-9
2018: 5-7
2019: 5-7

Liberty (6-6, 8-5 in their 2 seasons) is a private with more $$ than god, but are homeless.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Not happening without a conference. What have they done lately? Why didn't Montana move up when they were making their run in the playoffs every year, with a couple championships. GSU was in this division for 30 years before they moved. Just because you have a winning streak, doesn't equate to moving up.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:54 pm
Not happening without a conference. What have they done lately? Why didn't Montana move up when they were making their run in the playoffs every year, with a couple championships. GSU was in this division for 30 years before they moved. Just because you have a winning streak, doesn't equate to moving up.
You're right, maybe we should have moved up too. Because our AD is gonna be in deep financial shit after this. Oh well, maybe we'll have a balanced conference schedule next year after 3-4 programs drop football.

I love the defensive responses. Sorry, but the fragility of FCS is being exposed over these next 12 months.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Silenoz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:02 pm

You're right, maybe we should have moved up too. Because our AD is gonna be in deep financial shit after this. Oh well, maybe we'll have a balanced conference schedule next year after 3-4 programs drop football.

I love the defensive responses. Sorry, but the fragility of FCS is being exposed over these next 12 months.
Is that some kind of revelation to people?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

We were gonna be in deep financial shit anyway. The two home non-conference games were already gone, and there would've been little-to-no fans at the four home Big Sky contests.

And then there were the budding problems that existed before the pandemic. Fan support has been dwindling the past few years. Bringing Hauck back helped slightly in 2018 (though not as much as I'm guessing the powers-that-be wanted), but the average attendance in 2019 was the lowest since 2005 (and the lowest since 2002 if you take out Thanksgiving playoff games). Also, there're the problems with the school constantly hemorrhaging money & enrollment and the athletic department always being strapped for cash despite making more money off home football games than any other FCS school. The University of Montana has a bunch of problems right now, and the idea that moving up to FBS would've prevented these problems or even helped these problems in any way just isn't realistic. Moving up probably would've accelerated the freefall.

It's not like G5 FBS ball is much—if any—less fragile, and UM wouldn't be at the top of that level.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:40 am

We were gonna be in deep financial shit anyway. The two home non-conference games were already gone, and there would've been little-to-no fans at the four home Big Sky contests.

And then there were the budding problems that existed before the pandemic. Fan support has been dwindling the past few years. Bringing Hauck back helped slightly in 2018 (though not as much as I'm guessing the powers-that-be wanted), but the average attendance in 2019 was the lowest since 2005 (and the lowest since 2002 if you take out Thanksgiving playoff games). Also, there're the problems with the school constantly hemorrhaging money & enrollment and the athletic department always being strapped for cash despite making more money off home football games than any other FCS school. The University of Montana has a bunch of problems right now, and the idea that moving up to FBS would've prevented these problems or even helped these problems in any way just isn't realistic. Moving up probably would've accelerated the freefall.

It's not like G5 FBS ball is much—if any—less fragile, and UM wouldn't be at the top of that level.
:nod:

It will be interesting to see if some serious realignment occurs.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

The MAC officially cancelled fall sports this morning. The first FBS conference to do so.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:56 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:20 pm Big Sky cancels 2020 season. Considering an 8 game Spring season.

I’m guessing the rest of FCS will be fine by October.
A spring season is dumb. Any major injury will cost a player 2 seasons of FB (the spring season and then the fall season).

Absolutely poor leadership all around on this one. :thumbdown:
Sure if season ending injuries happened to a double digit # of players on avg per team per season. But season ending injuries happen to an avg of how many players on avg per team per year? 4-5? (Maybe 1-2 starters, 1-2 two deep, 1-2 other?).

With a Winter/Spring season, Jan might become presason (the new Aug). Someone goes down to a season ending injury in the Jan preseason, will likely be ready the following Aug. They go down in the latter part of a Winter/Spring season (April or May), they may miss the following season, but in that case they got to play a majority of the Winter/Spring season, so they’ve only missed a season+.

Bottom line better 4-5 guys miss a season or 2 because of season ending injuries during a Winter/Spring season, than 100 guys mass or menos miss an entire season, not playing from Nov or Dec 2019, to Sept 2021..
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

The Big Ten has voted to cancel the 2020 college football season in a historic move that stems from concerns related to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, multiple people with knowledge of the decision confirmed to the Free Press.

The sources requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the decision. A formal announcement is expected Tuesday, the sources said.
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 332277001/
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

The word on the street is that Penn State, Nebraska, Ohio State and Michigan are against cancellation. The others are either for cancellation or on the fence. Both sides are working hard to persuade the fence-sitters.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CitadelGrad wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:40 am The word on the street is that Penn State, Nebraska, Ohio State and Michigan are against cancellation. The others are either for cancellation or on the fence. Both sides are working hard to persuade the fence-sitters.
Really intriguing on how this is happening. First you get the source on the Dan Patrick show that says the vote's already happened and the Big 10 voted 12-2 to cancel sports. Now you have this contrary report saying the vote never happened and that there are more holdouts. You also wonder how the player's pushback is impacting this - you had the PAC-12 players and the Trevor Lawrence group team up overnight and while pushing for an athletes union the very first thing they did say is that they want to play this fall. Heck, you even just had Joe Burrow make a comment that not listening to the players would be a real negative. Gonna be a real fight on this and I'm not sure who's going to win.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Saw that weekly testing of FB players alone would have cost the MAC programs $20k a week. And that's just for FB, with their big B1G payday games gone. Now imagine an FCS program trying to cover those testing costs.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:20 am

I'm hoping we see a regionalization for the G5 and FCS, and the P5 finally gets their split. :nod:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:23 pm
SDHornet wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:56 pm

A spring season is dumb. Any major injury will cost a player 2 seasons of FB (the spring season and then the fall season).

Absolutely poor leadership all around on this one. :thumbdown:
Sure if season ending injuries happened to a double digit # of players on avg per team per season. But season ending injuries happen to an avg of how many players on avg per team per year? 4-5? (Maybe 1-2 starters, 1-2 two deep, 1-2 other?).

With a Winter/Spring season, Jan might become presason (the new Aug). Someone goes down to a season ending injury in the Jan preseason, will likely be ready the following Aug. They go down in the latter part of a Winter/Spring season (April or May), they may miss the following season, but in that case they got to play a majority of the Winter/Spring season, so they’ve only missed a season+.

Bottom line better 4-5 guys miss a season or 2 because of season ending injuries during a Winter/Spring season, than 100 guys mass or menos miss an entire season, not playing from Nov or Dec 2019, to Sept 2021..
So a torn ACL in March or April 2021 won't cost that player their fall 2021 season? Ok MDBDKKK, spring is totally worth the risk. :roll:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:41 am
CitadelGrad wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:40 am The word on the street is that Penn State, Nebraska, Ohio State and Michigan are against cancellation. The others are either for cancellation or on the fence. Both sides are working hard to persuade the fence-sitters.
Really intriguing on how this is happening. First you get the source on the Dan Patrick show that says the vote's already happened and the Big 10 voted 12-2 to cancel sports. Now you have this contrary report saying the vote never happened and that there are more holdouts. You also wonder how the player's pushback is impacting this - you had the PAC-12 players and the Trevor Lawrence group team up overnight and while pushing for an athletes union the very first thing they did say is that they want to play this fall. Heck, you even just had Joe Burrow make a comment that not listening to the players would be a real negative. Gonna be a real fight on this and I'm not sure who's going to win.
Saw some B1G HC's advocating for playing outside of the conference if it is cancelled. Not sure how much sway they have but if anything it'll give their respective universities a PR nightmare to deal with the fallout, and rightfully so.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 am
kalm wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:20 am

I'm hoping we see a regionalization for the G5 and FCS, and the P5 finally gets their split. :nod:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Its official within the last 1/2 hr or so, Big 10 postpones season till Spring:
https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/08 ... s-decision

Lot of Fake News headlines out there saying they have ‘cancelled’, which would only be the casse if they pulled the plug for the fall with no plans for the Spring.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:57 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:41 am

Saw some B1G HC's advocating for playing outside of the conference if it is cancelled. Not sure how much sway they have but if anything it'll give their respective universities a PR nightmare to deal with the fallout, and rightfully so.
Yep, Harbaugh and Frost among them. Frost says Nebraska should play Indy if necessary. Says they’re looking at 80-120 million hit not playing..

Growing movement of players and coaches that are saying they should play. Trump backs them..
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Yup, expect the Pac 12 to go along too. I wouldn't think the other 3 (B12, ACC, and SEC) follow at this time - the SEC's start of season was already pushed back to late September anyway, so they have time to wait and have been more keen on playing.

It'll be interesting what coaches and players say at this point considering their vociferousness yesterday. Heck, you wonder if the other 3 play whether players defect from the B10 and Pac 12 and move to play.

Spring football for the FBS seems like a non-starter - they'll lose all of the players that will enter the draft and there's still the question of how you play a season in the spring and then play again in the fall. Guys who get injured in the spring have a good chance of missing two seasons then. In addition, you wonder what will be different in the spring - absent a vaccine that is really effective and widely distributed how will anything be different 5-6 months?

You have to figure this is the end of winter college sports too - most of those start practices in October and play in November, and are inside sports, so this is likely the deathknell for those seasons too.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Btw, the Pac 12 did pull the plug.