What will happen with the 2020 college football season?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Re: What will happen with the 2020 college football season?

Post by AshevilleApp »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:04 am I saw where some columnist suggested we'll see kneeling during the anthem this upcoming season at the pro, college, and HS football. As far as college how if the players aren't on the field? At JMU JMU the national anthem is done as I vaguely recall about 10-12 min before the game starts when the players aren't on the field. I just watched a JMU pre game video. The anthem started 10+ min/was finished about 9 min before the players came out of the tunnel to smoke/fireworks and all that pre game rah rah stuff (the captains had come out earlier, but well after the anthem) 1-2 min before kickoff.

For fans of other schools- is that how its done at your school (the anthem being done before the players come out on the field)?

Edit: Nevermind, apparently its almost universal in college that players aren't on the field for the anthem.
https://sports.yahoo.com/college-footba ... 45084.html

The whole kneeling thing has you worried, doesn't it?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Why don’t we just eliminate the anthem from sporting events?

Problem solved.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:25 pm Why don’t we just eliminate the anthem from sporting events?

Problem solved.
:o Atheistic Muslin! :tothehand:

Or not a bad idea.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:33 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:25 pm Why don’t we just eliminate the anthem from sporting events?

Problem solved.
:o Atheistic Muslin! :tothehand:

Or not a bad idea.
:lol: tough call, really.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

23 Clempson playees test positive. No one hospitalized, most asymptomatic.
https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/06 ... s-positive
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

At least 30 of LSU's 115 players have been isolated because they tested positive for COVID-19 or were found to have had contact with those who tested positive.
https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/20/l ... oronavirus
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:23 Clempson playees test positive. No one hospitalized, most asymptomatic.
Those chumps are just trying to avoid having to play us in November

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CID1990 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:53 pm
BDKJMU wrote:23 Clempson playees test positive. No one hospitalized, most asymptomatic.
Those chumps are just trying to avoid having to play us in November

:lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Pure speculation and no chance of happening but it would be interesting.
A decade later, it’s time to blow up what was done and start over. The COVID-19 pandemic’s effects have been profoundly felt in a realm where, for 10 years, money was no object and the map made no sense. Slapped in the face by a new fiscal reality, maybe we’re due to both rein in and reach out—to contract geographically into more regional conferences, while expanding the scope of the revenue gusher that is the College Football Playoff.
https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/29/n ... ealignment
On Monday, Sports Illustrated published Pat Forde’s “America, Realigned,” a project where the veteran college football writer tried to recreate the conferences within the Football Bowl Subdivision. As one could coin it now, as SI did, he created the "Forde Bowl Subdivision."
https://www.si.com/college/wisconsin/fo ... a-football
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:24 am Pure speculation and no chance of happening but it would be interesting.
A decade later, it’s time to blow up what was done and start over. The COVID-19 pandemic’s effects have been profoundly felt in a realm where, for 10 years, money was no object and the map made no sense. Slapped in the face by a new fiscal reality, maybe we’re due to both rein in and reach out—to contract geographically into more regional conferences, while expanding the scope of the revenue gusher that is the College Football Playoff.
On Monday, Sports Illustrated published Pat Forde’s “America, Realigned,” a project where the veteran college football writer tried to recreate the conferences within the Football Bowl Subdivision. As one could coin it now, as SI did, he created the "Forde Bowl Subdivision."
Obviously can't happen because the "haves" would never part ways with the power and money they currently have. The above assumes an 11 game schedule every year, meaning teams will flip between 5 and 6 home games in consecutive years. With teams like Alabama and Clemson pulling in 8 home games right now, I can't see them saying "sure, I'll go into a conference with App St, Charlotte, ECU, and ODU, and I'll split home games with them". It's an interesting idea, but I don't really see the benefit for the current "haves".
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:05 am
Winterborn wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:24 am Pure speculation and no chance of happening but it would be interesting.

Obviously can't happen because the "haves" would never part ways with the power and money they currently have. The above assumes an 11 game schedule every year, meaning teams will flip between 5 and 6 home games in consecutive years. With teams like Alabama and Clemson pulling in 8 home games right now, I can't see them saying "sure, I'll go into a conference with App St, Charlotte, ECU, and ODU, and I'll split home games with them". It's an interesting idea, but I don't really see the benefit for the current "haves".
I fully agree for the reasons you stated. Just thought it was a cool article (leaving the NDSU comment aside) and the theoretical changes it would entail.

The expanded playoff idea was something I was particularly interested in.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Got my season ticket notice in the mail. Going the iphone/google pay route, which them claim to be touchless. The ticket scanners always end up touching the phones anyway.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:50 am Got my season ticket notice in the mail. Going the iphone/google pay route, which them claim to be touchless. The ticket scanners always end up touching the phones anyway.
JMU for the last doz or so years has done a really nice spiral notebook presentation that contained season tickets & parking passes. Contained other program info, and ads & discounts for local businesses. No more. Now its print at home for the parking pass an season tickets (tickets can also do the touchless/scan your phone thingy I believe).
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Hearing more about a Spring college season
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:20 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:50 am Got my season ticket notice in the mail. Going the iphone/google pay route, which them claim to be touchless. The ticket scanners always end up touching the phones anyway.
JMU for the last doz or so years has done a really nice spiral notebook presentation that contained season tickets & parking passes. Contained other program info, and ads & discounts for local businesses. No more. Now its print at home for the parking pass an season tickets (tickets can also do the touchless/scan your phone thingy I believe).
MSU started doing the spiral notebook thing recently. It's a slick presentation, but I've always felt it's a waste. Although they're probably not that expensive when you're having thousands printed up, it's money I'd rather see go towards something a little more practical.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

catbooster wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:06 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:20 am
MSU started doing the spiral notebook thing recently. It's a slick presentation, but I've always felt it's a waste. Although they're probably not that expensive when you're having thousands printed up, it's money I'd rather see go towards something a little more practical.
For JMU the season ticket record was under 8k. The avg order was probably around 4 tickets, so that's ballpark 2k season ticket packages to mail out. With the design, printing & Fed Ex shipping (probably bulk rate discount) I'm guessing around $15 per order, so maybe around $30k ballpark cost to the Athletic Dept. Once you factor in the ad revenue from local businesses, the cost really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Fordham has cancelled non con games and rumor has it they are cancelling the season.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

The Texas State Fair was cancelled today...normally the Red River Showdown between Texas and Oklahoma is played at the Cotton Bowl as part of the Fair...

Both schools are watching what is happening, with both issuing bland statements about it is their intentions to play the game at the Cotton Bowl...but they will watch what happens over the next few weeks...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:03 pm Fordham has cancelled non con games and rumor has it they are cancelling the season.
Not surprising considering they're located Coronavirus Central (NYC), and if you ranked teams based on the population density of the area they were located, Fordham would probably rank #1.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:09 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:03 pm Fordham has cancelled non con games and rumor has it they are cancelling the season.
Not surprising considering they're located Coronavirus Central (NYC), and if you ranked teams based on the population density of the area they were located, Fordham would probably rank #1.
Places like Gallup NM, Yakima, WA and Houston Texas are replacing NYC.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

FWIW I just saw that 1 of those games was against Hawaii.. :suspicious:

Their press release said that they will reschedule the games for the future and add a game during their 10/24 bye week. So if they play will be a 9 game regular season.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I don’t see how this season gets played.

To do it this fall would be stupid, and there are no guarantees that we will be out of the woods this spring, either.

At best, if schools insist on playing, the average DI school might get 2-3 games played.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:36 am I don’t see how this season gets played.

To do it this fall would be stupid, and there are no guarantees that we will be out of the woods this spring, either.

At best, if schools insist on playing, the average DI school might get 2-3 games played.

I agree. I've said it before, FCS football and lower costs a lot of money in a normal year to play. This year it would be even more of a money loser, at a time when the rest of the college is also struggling for money. They actually save money by not playing this fall. If college football gets played, it's only the big boys, with the big TV contracts and who make money playing football, who will be playing.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Ivy League cancels all Fall sports for 2020

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/07/08/ ... ronavirus/
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:19 pm Ivy League cancels all Fall sports

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/07/08/ ... ronavirus/
The FCS dominos will start to fall now. :(