Football Championship Subdivision discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Fall FCS?

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:15 am I could certainly see fans being allowed into games, albeit at a lower amount than normal. Ohio State is talking about having 20k-25k fans in their almost 100k stadium. I think they could even upcharge those seats and sell them at a premium and they'd sell out in seconds.

For FCS, most schools already draw at far under their stadium's capacity. They could just let people in as per normal in most places (i.e. not NDSU or JMU or Montana) and the social distancing is already being observed.
This is where I have a problem with this whole social distancing. Is it really just a feel good thing? If you allow 25,000 folks into a stadium they are going to come into contact with one another. They're going to have to pass through security which is a pinch point. They're going to go to concessions or bathrooms which are pinch points. 4x fewer people I guess means you're reducing the chances of more people with a virus at the event, but if there are people with a virus at an event, does it really matter that there are fewer of them?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:19 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:15 am I could certainly see fans being allowed into games, albeit at a lower amount than normal. Ohio State is talking about having 20k-25k fans in their almost 100k stadium. I think they could even upcharge those seats and sell them at a premium and they'd sell out in seconds.

For FCS, most schools already draw at far under their stadium's capacity. They could just let people in as per normal in most places (i.e. not NDSU or JMU or Montana) and the social distancing is already being observed.
This is where I have a problem with this whole social distancing. Is it really just a feel good thing? If you allow 25,000 folks into a stadium they are going to come into contact with one another. They're going to have to pass through security which is a pinch point. They're going to go to concessions or bathrooms which are pinch points. 4x fewer people I guess means you're reducing the chances of more people with a virus at the event, but if there are people with a virus at an event, does it really matter that there are fewer of them?
Eh, they're still wearing masks (I assume that will be required), you can space things out at security just like you space out people waiting to get into a pizza place or a business now (lines on the ground indicating distance for instance - my work uses cones), same way with the concessions, and bathrooms can be cut in half capacity (block every other urinal or toilet). It's not ideal, but it's not terribly dangerous either.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:14 am

Eh, they're still wearing masks (I assume that will be required), you can space things out at security just like you space out people waiting to get into a pizza place or a business now (lines on the ground indicating distance for instance - my work uses cones), same way with the concessions, and bathrooms can be cut in half capacity (block every other urinal or toilet). It's not ideal, but it's not terribly dangerous either.
Are there pizza places that have more than 25 people trying to get in at once?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:27 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:14 am

Are there pizza places that have more than 25 people trying to get in at once?
My pizza place on Friday nights can have 10-15 people waiting to get in to pick up orders. At least for an hour during the rush on Friday's. Prior to Covid this place would be buzzing on Friday nights for those who wanted to eat-in - almost always a wait for a table.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

SDHornet wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:06 pm San Diego State AD publicly stated they expect to play this season. They open the season against Sac State and I've heard that game is expected to be played on the originally scheduled date of Sept 5th. I've heard the only thing we are trying to figure out is if fans will be allowed at home games, and if so, how that will be handled. We have a 21k capacity stadium so I think there will be people allowed in person in some capacity.

Game on bitches. :coffee:
So, perhaps ticket 8-12K fans with seats blocked with two-yard spacing, and no concessions? BYO Food/Drink?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:07 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:06 pm San Diego State AD publicly stated they expect to play this season. They open the season against Sac State and I've heard that game is expected to be played on the originally scheduled date of Sept 5th. I've heard the only thing we are trying to figure out is if fans will be allowed at home games, and if so, how that will be handled. We have a 21k capacity stadium so I think there will be people allowed in person in some capacity.

Game on bitches. :coffee:
So, perhaps ticket 8-12K fans with seats blocked with two-yard spacing, and no concessions? BYO Food/Drink?
Don't know, all I do know is that I'll be in attendance if they allow fans in.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

For most FCS venues, social distancing won’t be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:34 pm For most FCS venues, social distancing won’t be an issue.

Well we are going into the season ranked 4th, and averaged just under 12k for our regular season games in a stadium with about 21k capacity. I can see seats being limited to 25%-33% capacity.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:34 pm For most FCS venues, social distancing won’t be an issue.

Case in point: the Ivies
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:44 am

They still play football there. :shock:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Not much different than airports now.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Winterborn wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:04 am
Ivytalk wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:44 am

They still play football there. :shock:
After a fashion... :coffee:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.